18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

The Man of Steel - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 11:43 am

THEY'RE DOING A SEQUEL AND A JUSTICE LEAGUE FILM!!

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/zack-snyder-david-goyer-back-for-man-of-steel-sequel

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 12:07 pm

Great!
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 4:32 pm

Scary wrote:

Here's an extract from an interview with Cavill in the latest issue of SciFiNow:

Quote :
Out of his motion-capture space armour, Michael Shannon's costume is the same muscle-clinging, muted blue colour with basketball-like texture as our hero. This toned down suit was necessary if they wanted to be taken seriously, says Cavill. "To have a costume like the older version in this day and age - where sci-fi has come such a long way and people have certain expectations - wouldn't quite work. It wouldn't lend the gravitas to the character, because kids are going to go, 'Why is he wearing pyjamas?' That's our new generation, and this is who it's for. Yes, it's for adults as well, but the kids are the ones who are going to grow up without any knowledge of previous incarnations, and they will probably look at them and say, 'Why is he wearing his underwear on the outside?'"

Eh. I really don't like the rationale there. Marvel proved the classic costume look can work extremely well if executed properly (Captain America). At the same time, this isn't supposed to be a suit his mother sewed for him like it was in other properties, so I'm not exactly bent out of shape over it.

I still think Dean Cain's costume on Lois and Clark is the best live action rendition of the super suit, though.
Back to top Go down
The 2nd Doctor Roberts
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 10:53 pm

Scary wrote:
I love the pants, they're very signature to Supes, however this 'Man of Steel' costume looks far more realistic in a modern world, IMO. I think it makes it more believable, and perhaps just as importantly, it looks bloomin' awesome, too.

Here's an extract from an interview with Cavill in the latest issue of SciFiNow:

Quote :
Out of his motion-capture space armour, Michael Shannon's costume is the same muscle-clinging, muted blue colour with basketball-like texture as our hero. This toned down suit was necessary if they wanted to be taken seriously, says Cavill. "To have a costume like the older version in this day and age - where sci-fi has come such a long way and people have certain expectations - wouldn't quite work. It wouldn't lend the gravitas to the character, because kids are going to go, 'Why is he wearing pyjamas?' That's our new generation, and this is who it's for. Yes, it's for adults as well, but the kids are the ones who are going to grow up without any knowledge of previous incarnations, and they will probably look at them and say, 'Why is he wearing his underwear on the outside?'"

This isn't some obscure 1930s pulp character they're doing the movie about. It's one of the most iconic characters of the past century. That's not hyperbole. I'm sure it may not be true for British kids, but it would be very difficult for any American kid old enough to understand what is going on in this movie to have not seen an image of Superman beforehand. And is Cavill saying here that he doesn't have the acting chops to lend gravitas to red tights? Razz

This just indicates they're embarrassed by the source material. If that's the case, why make the movie? The tights aren't really that big of a deal, but the attitude expressed in the above interview(along with other media reports about the film) has really turned me off of seeing the movie. I don't want to dampen anyone else's enthusiasm, so I'll just stop posting in this thread.
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 14, 2013 2:18 am

Hot Toys released pics. He looks so good. Love the included Command Key too! His body looks too bulky, but it's likely just a body they used while they develop the final one. Hopefully. Maybe?

The Man of Steel - Page 3 942046_10151446326297344_1743856186_n

The Man of Steel - Page 3 375602_10151446326042344_1331817895_n

The Man of Steel - Page 3 9348_10151446325692344_939062371_n
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 14, 2013 5:38 pm

Saw this today! Mind = BLOWN! Here's a spoiler-free review if anyone is interested. cheersVery Happy

The whole movie, right from the beginning, is empowering, brim-filled with action, awe-inspiring, stunning, amazing... I can't think of an adequate word to describe it. It was just perfect.

There are only two other films that I can think of that make me cry, but you can now add 'Man of Steel' to that list. All throughout the movie there were plenty of scenes where I was trying to fight back the tears, and ultimately failed. I'm so glad that I went to the cinema rather early in the day as it was quiet, thus there was no one on my row of seats to have to suffer my incessant weeping. Razz  I'm also really relieved to come back home and read/watch reviews of the movie that also say they cried during and throughout the movie; my ego is not feeling so wounded now. lol!

The message of the movie is what makes it my favourite superhero movie of all time - perhaps even my favourite movie altogether. It's a story of hope and humility. It's a story of a completely lonely outsider in a strange and alien world, not knowing his purpose or identity. It's a tale of a man overcoming the obstacles in his path, no matter how big they are, for the greater good of not just himself but all humanity, and it's a tale of good vs. evil - a fierce and furious battle against sheer hatred. He must learn to scream back in the face of fear, but first he needs to know who he is and why he's here, and we are blessed with the privilege of witnessing it all take place.

Aside from the morals of the story, what makes the tale so empowering is the performances from the cast. They're so good at what they do; they're so convincing that you believe it completely. Superman is forever slated for being unrealistic and none-relatable, but I feel that 'Man of Steel' does a fantastic job to make the story of Superman believable. It's Superman with an updated, modern and contemporary twist, and it works!

Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, Ayelet Zurer and Diane Lane are just some of the names worthy of mentioning as amazing highlights of 'Man of Steel'. But most importantly: Henry Cavill. Perfect. His performance was breath-taking. Give this man an OSCAR. He did an excellent job of portraying Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El in a new and refreshing way. I felt in no way that he was trying to copy the fantastic Christopher Reeve, unlike Brandon Routh (which is where 'Superman: Returns' went wrong, IMO). Cavill completely gave the role his own spin, which was great.

Dare I say that Cavill's Superman was more enjoyable than Christopher Reeve's? I don't think it's fair to compare the two franchises, to be honest. Reeve's Superman was of another time aimed at at a different generation, and so is Cavill's Superman, so it's impossible to compare them. It just wouldn't be fair. Although I have to admit, and the older folk are going to have to forgive me now, I favour 'Man of Steel', 'Superman: The Movie' and 'Superman II' are still two of my favourite movies of all time. Christopher Reeve and Henry Cavill are both amazing in their own rights, and they're both the two best actors that we've ever had the delight of seeing as Kal-El.

I'm seeing one or two negative reviews online for the movie. I have no idea why. But I do urge people to ignore negativity out there until you've seen the movie for yourself. I think that if you go to see this movie with an open mind and ignore the pessimism amongst [a very select few] picky and unpleasable fans, you will get maximum enjoyment from this movie. I really want you to feel as good about this movie and take away as much as I have. I think I definitely got my money's worth... I would pay double the amount I did to see this movie.

The film is filled to the brim with action. Right from the beginning all the way to the denouement, there are battles, explosions, spaceships, war-crafts... Everything a comic book and sci-fi/fantasy fan could ever ask for is present in 'Man of Steel'. Some have said that the amount of action is "excessive" and "overkill," but that's exactly why I don't watch in 3D; all of that flying in your face at once doesn't give you chance to sit back and take it in and truly appreciate it all. I had heard complaints prior to watching the movie that it was filled with "too much" action and these complaints all came from people who saw the film in 3D, but I can safely say that I didn't have this problem in 2D.

General Zod's character is excellently portrayed by Michael Shannon. He is the perfect villain and threat to Superman and to earth. Some have complained that because of their absolute power when they are on earth, Superman and Zod are unbeatable and it's "difficult to engage with them." I personally think that critics need to face the fact that this particular superhero isn't as a two-dimensional as that.

Vulnerability isn't always about physical weakness, because where Superman lacks physical vulnerability, he makes up for it tenfold when it comes to emotional weakness. Supes is a wreck in that department. lol!

But that's why I love Superman's character so much: he is far more in-depth and three-dimensional than any other superhero. Since Superman debuted in the 1930s as the first comic book superhero ever, I think we've lost sight of the pain and suffering that our heroes go through. We've become a little too focused on the action and fighting and we've neglected the meaning, feeling and emotion of the characters and the story - the emotions and the experiences superheroes go through are what makes a superhero tale what it is. Yes, the action is as equally important, but that's exactly why superhero movies/comics shouldn't lack one and have more than the other. 'Man of Steel' has the PERFECT balance of both! Zack Snyder, David Goyer and Christopher Nolan hit the Command Key on the head!

Maybe I was just extremely engaged with the movie. It's the first film that I've ever felt so connected to the characters and the story in that way, to be honest. I've never felt anything like it. But maybe I'm just being a soppy fool? I think that with all the hype, I was so pumped, overwhelmed and ready for this movie that it wouldn't have mattered if the film was utter crap; I would still have found a way to love it. Razz

Zack Snyder, Christopher Nolan and David Goyer did a perfect job with this. Absolutely 100% perfect. I hope they all get OSCARS for this film, along with the cast, too. The writing, direction and production of this film is... Inexplicable. For me, at least, it's perfect and is now my number one favourite superhero movie. Like I said earlier, I think it's probably even my favourite movie of all time... I've never felt like that before. It was SUCH a good movie, and if any of the cast, Snyder, Goyer or Nolan ever read this review (which is immensely improbable Razz) then I just want to say to you all:

THANK YOU!!

I honestly can't think of a bad thing to say about this film. I keep saying it, but it;s true: this film is PERFECT! And I hope that you love it as much as I do. Bring the whole family. Oh, and tissues!

ENJOY! cheersVery Happy

Last edited by Scary on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 14, 2013 5:42 pm

They look like blue long johns. 

And they filmed downtown Smallville locally in a Chicago suburb. They saved set pieces and 'rubble' and it will all be on display at the new museum they have there.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 14, 2013 7:46 pm

OK, I can't get the quote function to work, but, great review Scary!  I am going Sunday morning and I am very excited!

And it was filmed in Plano, Illinois.  A town that is still bigger than my hometown in Illinois.  But it has the look of so many towns in that state, including Metropolis.  Now that would have been cool to have the Smallville scenes filmed in Metropolis! LOL.  They would have just had to hide the big Superman statue.
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 14, 2013 11:06 pm

I liked, but did not love this movie. 7/10 for me.  I wanted to really love it. But I'm satisfied with just liking it.

The first hour and a half is amazing. Henry Cavill IS Superman. He's an amazing bit of casting. Beautiful. Rugged. And, he has a certain soulfulness in his eyes, too. The rest of the cast is almost uniformly great. Costner and Lane make a great Martha and Jonathan Kent. And Russel Crowe has more to do than I thought he would as Jor-el. The more sci-fi take on the mythos is great, and I love the design of technology for Krypton. Zack Snyder pulls off some incredibly beautiful shots as well throughout the movie. I also liked the more serious take on the material as a change of pace, though to be honest I found the few attempts at humor a bit flat. However, there are definitely flaws from the start. First of all, I don't think Michael Shannon is actually that great as Zod. He's got a great creepy, villainous look. But I'm not sure he sold me the character. The character as written actually had some interesting notes of remorse and a feeling of being "programmed" in his actions. Just not sure Shannon sold that. Nor did I find him terribly frightening when he got angry. I actually think the icy cold villainy of Faora was more effective. But I don't think this hurts the movie too much. Where the film really gets let down is in the final act.

Spoiler:

It's a credit to the first part of the movie and the strong performances, cinematography, soundtrack and design work that I still liked this movie overall. I would definitely see it again, and I am looking forward to the sequel. I just hope more work is spent on the characters next time.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 1:55 pm

Wow!  That was amazing!  A new Superman...for a new century.  It was a very action packed movie.  The battle between Zod and Superman reminded me of the battle with Doomsday and what that would have looked like if it had made a movie.  Those images from the Death of Superman comics definately influenced these images with the destruction of Metropolis.  The Superman franchise has been saved.  Now, lets see the original comic superhero team...JLA.  Well, I guess JSA was first.  No matter how great the Marvel movies have been, Superman is and always has been far more popular than any of the Avengers in the general population.  And that is who is loving this movie, as well as us comic book readers.  I have never been in a theater that had an audience cheer and applaud like they did today. 

And I too, had a few emotional moments....the Jonathan Kent scene when he watches young Clark in the red towel.....that made me cry the most, lol.  I can't wait to enjoy this again!
Back to top Go down
timewarrior
timewarrior

Number of posts : 4016
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 11:11 pm

BEST F'ING SUPERMAN MOVIE EVER!

Nuff said.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 9:25 am

I keep thinking about the battle between the Kryptonians.  The destruction they caused shows how powerfull they are and how week humans are compared to them.  But, yet Superman chooses NOT to rule Earth, not to become a God.  He could, and no one can stop him.  The only thing that is stopping him is himself.  To me, that is one of Superman's greatest characteristics. 

Ihave never wanted a sequel to a movie so bad as I do this one.  I want to see more of what this Clark/Kal-el and Lois will be doing.  I love the idea that the are in on the secret together!  As is half of Smallville it seams.
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2205
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 4:06 am

I finally saw this movie. I liked it.
I concur that the muted tones & handheld camera weren't a good stylistic choice for the movie. I suspect this was Nolan's influence. Really saturated colors like Snyder used in Watchmen would've made the visuals so much more memorable.
I loved all the wanton carnage in the movie! It felt like a live action Powerpuff Girls! I really did not expect them to have the guts to frak Metropolis up so bad. It really gave weight to the threat posed by Zod's forces, unlike previous Superman films where there's no sense of danger because Superman is so perfect at saving the day. It sets up a world where there's a necessity for the Justice League to form even when you have a guy as powerful & altruistic as Superman and Lex Luthor is justified. The way the gravity beam picked up cars & smashed them made the Kryptonians look especially dickish.
Having the geoforming engine on the other side of the world was a nice way of broadening the scope of the movie. A global threat worthy of Superman was appreciated. I'm glad that it wasn't all in Metropolis to make it easy for Superman to reduce casualties. It was odd that its was a big obstacle for Superman until ... it just became less effective against him? I'd imagine Brainiac would use a similar device to shrink the planet or absorb all its data, so I wonder how that can avoid repeating themselves if they use him.
I was confused by what the Codex was. It looked like a broken skull with glowy writing on it. Was it the genetic template for every Kryptonian? In which case, that's really unneccessary since Kal-El was an intentionally natural birth & doesn't make sense if you think about it. Or was it just the occupational programming for Kryptonians, which is why Clark was good at so many jobs? Why weren't there Codices on the explorer ships that had birthing matrices on them? It doesn't seem efficient.
My biggest complaint was Lois Lane was a readhead & little Lana Lang was brunnette. You can't switch iconic hair colors like that! Couldn't they have gottten Amy Adams a wig or some hair dye?
Faora was awesome. I wanted more of her. I drove around to lots of different stores today but was unable to find her action figure.
I disliked Jor-El having so big a role. Him being able to easily best Zod's warrior caste both alive & as a hologram was irksome. He shouldn't have been more morally upstanding than Jonathan Kent either. I'm in the camp that believes Superman should have as little contact with his dead parents as possible. I really hated how he had to keep getting guidance from him in the old movies. I'm glad Zod called out Jor-El on this. He did have an awesome space dragon though.
I was a bit leery of Zod & his troops being space Nazis but they pulled it off. Zod having been bred so thoroughly to protect his people at any cost made him a bit sympathetic & gave him a clearer motivation than many other versions of him. Making them so unrepentantly destructive set up a great contrast for Superman. It also ties back to Siegel's & Shuster's families emigrating from Europe to escape religious persecution & proto-fascism.
Lois figuring out who Superman was so early was interesting. I support her detective skills, but it might've been a little better if she figured it out after he'd been playing bufoon to her. It did feel like the movie was a bit cavalier about his identity at times.
Helo & Gaeta should've had bigger roles or at least gotten Easter Egg names.
I was surprised Dr. Emil Hamilton got taken out of the franchise so soon. I expected him to form STAR Labs as Superman's version of Luscius Fox. Now Lex won't have any competion in the brain department.
Did Zod's people never actually enter the Phantom Zone until the end or were they only in it for a few hours until Krypton's destruction release them? Actually seeing the Phantom Zone would've made it clear that they weren't just vaporized at the end & would've given Snyder a chance to do some cool visuals.
Martha Kent working at Sears & Pete Ross at IHOP was some of the most soul-crushingly bleak product placements I've ever seen.
I'm glad they didn't spend much time on Clark doing odd jobs & he still turned up to be a swell guy despite his youthful X-Men angst.
I'm glad it wasn't beholden to the Donner/Lester Superman movies, which had great casts but didn't do enough with their potential. Even though they changed things it was for a purpose, unlike the Amazing Spider-Man changing things slightly just to justify a reboot. It wasn't as fun as Iron Man 3 but I had less issues with it. I would've preferred it to be more ambitious with its design & sci-fi, but it was a solid start.
http://io9.com/the-most-important-scenes-from-man-of-steel-as-i-remem-516405346
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Krynoid
Krynoid

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 1:27 pm

[ltr]The Most Important Scenes from Man of Steel (Spoilers! and some language)[/ltr]

[ltr]From io9...funny...and true?[/ltr]

[ltr]
(on Krypton)
Jor-El: Our planet is dying. Clearly, the only solution is to shoot a baby into space.
Lara-El: It’s the only thing that makes sense anymore!
(Zod storms in)
Zod: Jor-El! You have stolen the Codex! Give it back!
Jor-El: Sorry. I stuck it in my baby and I’m shooting him into space.
Zod: Baby?
Jor-El: Oh, yeah. We had a baby. The old-fashioned way.
Zod: What? Not from our Kryptonian Underwater Baby Tree Pods?
Jor-El: Yes.
Zod: That’s disgusting.
Jor-El: You have no idea. Do you know where babies come out of?
Lara-El: I’m right here.
Zod: Hey, wait.
Jor-El: Yes?
Zod: The Codex contains all the programmed genetic information of all the Kryptonian tree babies, right?
Jor-El: Yeah.
Zod: Didn’t you do the whole childbirth thing to restart the Kryptonian race? To get it away from its programming? What the heck is your baby going to do with the Codex?
Jor-El: Uh...
Zod: And why are you only sending one baby? Wouldn't you need at least two babies to restart the Kryptonian race without the pod babies?
(Jor-El thinks for minute, then runs into Zod’s spiky thing)
Jor-El: Oh, sorry, you killed me, but I totally had a good answer.
Zod: Wait a second. If we already have babies on pods, don’t they already have the genetic code in them? Are they empty babies? Do we really need both? This doesn’t make any sense.
(guards walk in)
Guard #1: General Zod, you are under arrest for treason and for asking too many questions about our ridiculous society. You will be put in prison with your minions, which means you will be the only people who will survive Krypton blowing up. Also when Krypton blows up it’ll set you all free.
Zod: Whatever.
[/ltr]

[ltr]
Clark Kent: I am a hobo.
(saves a bunch of people)
Clark: This reminds me of some of the great advice my father Pa Kent gave me growing up.
(flashback)
The Man of Steel - Page 3 Ku-xlargeSEXPAND
Young Clark: So I’m kind of thinking I should use my powers for good, to help people and stuff.
Pa Kent: You must never reveal your powers to anyone! People will figure out you’re an alien! The government will take you away? Got it? You must never help anyone ever.
Young Clark: Even if it’s a schoolbus full of children about to drown?
Pa Kent: Especially if it’s a schoolbus full of children about to drown! You just sit there, and watch them drown, one by one.
Young Clark: That doesn’t seem right.
Pa Kent: And if for some reason someone else saves the bus, IT IS UP TO YOU TO PUSH THAT BUS BACK IN THAT LAKE AND MAKE SURE THOSE CHILDREN DROWN.
Young Clark: Wait, what?
Pa Kent: YOU ARE GOING TO BE A BEACON OF HOPE WHEN YOU GROW UP, CLARK, A BEACON OF HOPE THAT WATCHES CHILDREN DIE WHEN HE COULD HAVE EASILY SAVED THEM.
Young Clark: Well, pop, I’ve got some bad news. Because my schoolbus did crash into a lake, and I did save all the children. I’m sorry.
Pa Kent:  You go to your room and think about what you’ve done. And no supper!
(Clark trudges off to sad "Peanuts" theme)
Pa Kent: MARTHA, GET ME MY BOWIE KNIFE. I HAVE TO VISIT SOME CHILDREN.
[/ltr]

[ltr]
(Clark wanders through an ancient Kryptonian scouting ship; Jor-El hologram appears)
The Man of Steel - Page 3 Ku-xlarge
Jor-El: Hey! I shot you into space when you were a baby!
Clark: Dad?
Jor-El: That’s me! Okay, let me give you the lowdown. Your name is Kal-El, you’re a Kryptonian, our planet Krypton blew up, and all the Kryptonians are dead except you and our most dangerous criminal, Zod.
Clark: That’s unfortunate.
Jor-El: Also I kind of hid all of Krypton’s genetic code inside you so that you are the key to restarting the Kryptonian race and Zod’s kinda going to be looking for that.
Clark: Um, do you want me to restart the Kryptonian race?
Jor-El: I'm honestly not sure.
Clark: Then why did you stick the Codex in me?
Jor-El: In retrospect, it may have been a poor idea. On the other hand, if you do decide to start the Kryptonian race, this scout ship has a bunch of empty babies in our underwater tree pod room. All you have to do is stick the DNA right in them. There's a little hole. It's unfortunately placed, though.
Clark: Uh… I’ll pass for now.
Jor-El: Oh! I also made you a sweet costume that looks the underwear of our home planet!
Clark: What?
Jor-El: Well, normally on Krypton we wore ornate dresses and things or elaborately overdesigned battle armor, and we wore a skintight leather suit underneath it. So that's what I made you.
Clark: Not the actual clothes? Or the battle armor?
Jor-El: Nope! Oh, and I put a cape on it too! Kryptonians often wear capes with their clothes and armor!
Clark: …but not on their underwear?
Jor-El: Oh, god no. You’d look like an idiot.
Clark: Hey. If this is a random Kryptonian spaceship from 18,000 years ago, why does it have a suit you made me with our house emblem on it inside?
(Jor-El is silent for a moment, then picks up holographic stick and jabs himself in his stomach)
Jor-El: Sorry, I’ve been stabbed! I’m dying!
Clark: You’re a hologram. You can’t die.
Jor-El: I had a really good answer, too!
Clark: …
Clark: I can still see you. You’re just laying down.
Clark: …
Clark: Fine. (leaves)
[/ltr]

[ltr]
Clark: Well, a dude named Zod has arrived and demanded I surrender to him or he’s going to destroy the Earth. I wonder if my dad gave me any advice to help with this situation…
(flashback — the Kents are driving together when a tornado appears)
Pa Kent: Huh?
(everyone gets out of the car)
Pa Kent: It’s a tornado! Everybody get under that underpass:
Dog: Um, excuse me! You guys left me in the car, and I don’t have opposable thumbs. Would someone mind getting the door?
Pa Kent: Clark: Get your mother and these kids to safety!
(Clark takes mother to a nearby underpass, Pa Kent helps other perfectly able passengers exit their cars)
Dog: Hello? It’s your dog. I’m still in the car here. Ruff!
(the Kents reunite under the bridge)
Ma Kent: We forgot the dog!
Pa Kent: I’ll get him!
Young Clark: You sure you don’t want me to? Because I could do it in half a second. And obviously I can’t be harmed.
Pa Kent: What have I told you? You can’t reveal your powers! Even if you're in situations when you can probably hide them!
(Pa Kent arrives at car, only to be hit by a different flying car)
Young Clark: Um, are you sure you don't want any help, dad?
Pa Kent: I’m fine! Don’t you dare save my life!
(Pa Kent manages to free the dog who escapes, but Pa's leg is broken; he obviously won’t make it back to the underpass before the tornado hits)
Dog: YOU PEOPLE ARE jerks. (runs off)
Pa Kent: Goodbye, Clark.
Young Clark: Okay, you are literally going to die. I’m coming to get you.
Pa Kent: You’ll do no such thing! I’ve told you, you must not use your powers to save people’s lives!
Young Clark: Then when  should I use them?
Pa Kent: I don’t know! Later sometime.
Young Clark: But not when my dad is about to die right in front of me and I could easily save him.
Pa Kent: Right.
Young Clark: Even though I could run and get you and be back in about a second, and most people would never believe their eyes thanks to the chaos of the tornado.
Pa Kent: Exactly.
Young Clark: Or I could grab you, run you someplace safe, get back here almost instantly, and we could pretend the tornado blew you someplace and you miraculously survived but without my involvement.
Pa Kent: Right. Don’t do that.
Young Clark: Look, I can’t help but feel we have a lot of solid options here that can save your life and preserve my secret simultaneously. I really don’t think this needs to happen.
Pa Kent: Don’t you sass me, boy!
Young Clark: I’m not sassing you! I just think we could avoid you dying if you weren’t being such a weirdo about it!
(the tornado starts to pick Pa Kent up)
Pa Kent: Clark!
Young Clark: Dad!
Pa Kent: Remember! Remember this one thing!
Young Clark: I will, Dad!
Pa Kent: KEEP... MURDERING... CHILDRENNNnnnnnnnnnnnnn! (Pa Kent is carried away — flashback ends)
Clark: Okay, that’s not gonna help.
[/ltr]

[ltr]
(Superman arrives at military base)
Superman: Hello. I’ve come to give myself up.
Military Guy: I’m sorry, there’s been a mistake. We don’t want you, that Zod guy wants you.
Superman: I know, but I wanted to give myself up to humanity so you guys can decide whether to give me to Zod.
Military Guy: Huh. Well, thanks, I guess, but we’ve already talked it over, and we’re totally giving you to Zod.
Superman: That’s cool. Your call.
Military Guy: I mean, you’ve been Superman for like a minute, and you’ve literally done nothing for humanity other that get us threatened. We have zero reason to want to defend you at this point.
Superman: No, I get it.
Military Guy: In fact, if you just want to surrender straight to Zod, that’d be fine with us. We really don’t need to be the middle-men here.
(Zod’s ship arrives)
Faora: GIVE US KAL-EL AND THE GIRL SO THEY CAN HAVE ANOTHER SCENE TOGETHER SO WE CAN PRETEND THE KISS THEY HAVE LATER IS EVEN SLIGHTLY JUSTIFIED.
(once onboard the ship, Faora puts Lois in a cell)
Faora: STAY THERE UNTIL RUSSEL CROWE SHOWS UP.
(on the main bridge)
Zod: All right, Kal-El, let’s make this quick. I want to save the Kryptonian race, and I’m willing to be a bit of an jerk about it. What I need is the Codex you have. Oh, and this planet, too.
Superman: What do you need the planet for?
Zod: Enh, we’re going terraform it and kill all the humans to make it more like Krypton.
Superman: Really? You know that as it stands, the planet gives us super awesome powers, right?
Zod: Hmm. Nah, I think I’ll just stick with the terraforming/killing all of humanity thing.
Superman: What about this: I give you the Codex, and you go guys go terraform another planet? You save the Kryptonian race, I save the Earth.
Zod: That is a great idea. But if we do that then the movie ends.
Superman: Nuts.
(back in the cell, Lois puts Superman’s seal in a conveniently placed prison hole)
Jor-El: Hey, thanks. I don’t know you, but I’m going to direct you to an escape pod because I’m about to change the atmosphere in here to help my kid. I’ll also explain how you can defeat Zod at a later date to justify you being part of the movie later.
Lois: Okay, I—
Jor-El: Please, no talking. We really want to minimize your character.
(shortly, as Lois’s damaged escape pod plummets to Earth)
Jor-El: I told Lois Lane how to defeat Zod and send his ship back to the Phantom Zone.
Superman: Really? Um, do you want to tell me? Since we’re here talking and all?
Jor-El: Nope.
Superman: Save everybody some time?
Jor-El: No, I’m fine, thanks.
Superman: Both of my fathers are jerks. (flies after Lois)
[/ltr]

[ltr]
Superman: Okay, Lois. You and the guy from Law & Order: SVU go do the thing my father refused to tell me how to do, and I’m going to take care of the World Engine thing in the Indian Ocean.
Lois: Really? You’re going to try to destroy the one located harmlessly in the Indian ocean… over the one that’s the middle of the largest, most densely populated city in North America?
Superman: Yes. Why do you ask?
Lois: You know that these things send out gravity pulses that annihilate buildings, killing everyone inside them, and even if they’re outside they are lifted like a hundred feet in the air and then smashed down to the ground at high velocity?
Superman: I know it’s going to kill people, Lois. That’s why I’m going to the one in the Indian Ocean. To destroy it. (Lois gives Superman a puzzled look as he flies off)
(10 minutes later in the Indian Ocean)

(meanwhile in Metropolis, hundreds of thousands are dead, corpses litter the streets)
Perry White: Help!
(cut to Superman)
Superman: Huh?
(cut to Metropolis)
Perry White: Help!
(cut to Superman)
Superman: Who the heck are you?
Perry White: I’m Perry White. The Daily Planet guy.
Superman: Oh, yeah. You’ve been in like three scenes.
Perry White: Yes! That’s me! Can you help?
Superman: Kinda busy trying to destroy the World Engine thing, sorry.
Perry White: But I’m beloved Superman character Perry White! You have to save me!
Superman: Personally, at this point my character has never heard of you, and the audience, if they have any feelings about you whatsoever, probably don’t like you. Sorry, I’m busy.
Perry White: But there’s this girl! She’s Jenny Olson! She has the last name of a beloved Superman character! She also needs saving!
Superman: Okay, I’m pretty sure no one has ever said her name out loud so far, and I don’t think she’s had a line, either. I have no idea why they keep cutting to you guys, because I don’t know why anybody is supposed to care whether you live or die.
Perry White: Ouch. That hurts.
Superman: Well, I’m pretty sure that’s gonna hurt more.
Perry White: Huh?
(building falls on Perry White)
Superman: Hey, make sure to save me some buildings; I’m gonna need ‘em to throw Zod through later.
[/ltr]

[ltr]
(Superman has Zod in a headlock)
Zod: You are such an jerk!
Superman: What did I do?
Zod: Hey, remember when you blew up that ship with all the tree pod babies? You committed genocide!
Superman: But…
Zod: No buts! You destroyed pretty much the entire last bit of the Krypytonian race, besides you, me, and those dudes you sent back to the Phantom Zone!
Superman: Hey, you were trying to kill all of humanity with the World Engine thing!
Zod: You know why? BECAUSE I’M THE VILLAIN. I’m evil; that’s what I do. Aren’t you supposed to be better than that?
Superman: What else was I supposed to do?
Zod: Well, you could have not destroyed my ship and concentrated on just defeating me. Then you could have restarted the Kryptonian race again and sent them to another planet or taught them to co-exist with humans or something. It wouldn’t have been that hard.
Superman: But I saved humanity!
Zod: Well, kind of. I mean, you still managed to let an area the size of Manhattan get completely annihilated. And thanks to the disaster loving director, we got to see countless people getting killed, really emphasizing your inability to save them. Have you seen the estimated damage and death tolls from our final fight?
Superman: No…
Zod: . Hey, you know what I just realized? I only tried to commit genocide, but you accidentally succeeded at it! Nice work!
Superman: Shut up! I’m dark and tortured!
Zod: And that’s the problem. “Dark and tortured” and “Superman” never belong in the same sentence, unless that sentence is “Superman met his dark and tortured friend Batman for coffee.”
Superman: That’s not fair! People love Batman, and he’s dark and tortured. So why is it bad for me to do the same thing?
Zod: Because that’s the exact antithesis to what Superman is supposed to be. He’s supposed to be better than us, to inspire us, to not make the same stupid mistakes humans do. He’s supposed to have every reason to be dark and tortured, given his origin and the evil he’s seen, but he never loses his hope and optimism — not just for himself, but for the entire human race! This dumb movie has gotten one thing right, and that’s that Superman is supposed to represen hope. What hope have you actually inspired? “I hope this alien turns himself in so our planet doesn’t get destroyed?” “I hope Superman defeats that machine thing before the casualties in Metropolis hit a million?” “I hope Superman doesn’t throw Zod through my building during his fight because it would really suck to have survived the World Engine thingie and then die because Superman isn’t watching where he punches a dude?”
Superman: …
Zod: You know,  I’m going to kill this nearby family with my heat vision.
Superman: All right, I guess I have to kill you.
Zod: No, ! You don’t! I would, because I’m a bad guy, but you’re supposed to be the hero! You’re supposed to find a  way that solves this problem that doesn’t go against your moral code! And there are so many  ways you can get out of this situation without killing me! You could cover my eyes! You could fly off with me! And that’s just off the top of my head!
Superman: Well, if you really wanted to kill these people, you could, you know, just look at them.
Zod: I’m trying! You’re holding my head!
Superman: Yeah, but you know you can move your eyes without moving your head, right?
Zod: Oh. Oh yeah.
Superman: You’ve just been staring straight ahead and refusing to look around.
Zod: Okay. Admittedly, I feel kind of stupid. But that doesn’t negate what I said earlier!
Superman: Hey, you know what does negate it?
Zod: What?
Superman: $130 MILLION OPENING WEEKEND BOX OFFICE, !!!.
(Superman snaps Zod’s neck)
Superman: Like that, sirs?
Chris Nolan and Zack Snyder: Just like that.
[/ltr]

Edited by Moderator
Back to top Go down
Krynoid
Krynoid

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 1:27 pm

sorry about the HTML...
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 4:32 pm

I'm not sure if I should get the armored General Zod figure.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 11:31 am

Krynoid wrote:
sorry about the HTML...

When you cut and paste stuff like this, make sure to edit out all the profanity. This isn't an adults only forum.

Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 5:56 pm

Went to see it for the second time today, this time in 3D. Loved it once again! Didn't tear up this time but it still hit me in the feels. Razz

Can't get enough of this movie! It's perfect! cheers
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 5:58 pm

I actually liked it better the second time. It still has faults at the end, but once I knew they were coming with the second time, it didn't bother me as much.
Back to top Go down
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792

PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 7:53 pm

jonwes wrote:
I actually liked it better the second time. It still has faults at the end, but once I knew they were coming with the second time, it didn't bother me as much.

That makes me think...can you imagine a movie released with multiple endings, so you never know quite how it will end when you watch it?

Of course, they did "multiple endings" with the movie CLUE (all tagged on at the end), but it could be done with a general release movie where they distribute a movie with multiple endings, so you never know quite how it will end. I think it could help a wide-release movie have great repeat business.
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 9:41 pm

The did that with X-Men: Origins: Wolverine: Colon. It did not improve the movie.
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 2:09 am

They did that with Wolverine? I had no clue. I do think multiple endings would be kind of fun, especially depending on the movie and if they were fairly significant differences.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 9:36 pm

I saw it at the Maya Cinemas in Salinas, California. It was a good movie, very action-oriented, lots of good character building for Superman. Liked the take on Lois and Zod. However, I'm much more of an old-school Superman fan and this really wasn't my movie.

And since I started this thread noting the lack of Jimmy Olsen, I was quite displeased with "Jenny Olsen." For a successful genderbend of Jimmy, you'd need a strong female character, one who'd probably be out there with Lois hitting those big stories. Jimmy has been known as "Mr. Action," but I never got a "Miss Action" vibe from Jenny. Instead she was just a voice in the office, a secondary damsel in distress, and a second choice when Lois declines a date from a coworker. I wouldn't have cared if Jenny had just been a person working at the Daily Planet, but this was in no way Jimmy Olsen.
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 9:47 pm

That wan't genderswapped Jimmy. Close-ups of her ID badge reveal her last name is Jurwich: http://www.themarysue.com/jimmy-olsen-jenny-jurwich

Who else wants to see Lex Luthor make Metallo in the sequel?
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 10:16 pm

Oh!!!! Well, if they save Jimmy for the sequel, he better kick some butt.
Back to top Go down

The Man of Steel
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next