18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2483
Registration date : 2008-07-16

The Man of Steel - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 09, 2014 12:17 pm

Finally saw this movie last night. Have to agree that Pa Kent was a jerk, Amy Adams wasn't very Lois Lane-ish, and not only did Superman let lots of people die he also ended up killing innocent bystanders and Zod by the end. I thought Superman was supposed to be better than that? Too much spectacle and not enough real Superman.
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 09, 2014 2:38 pm

The point is that he's not 'real Superman' yet. I like the fact that they actually gave him the ability to make mistakes; he's literally just become Superman, it would be unbelievable and unrealistic if he just knew what to do automatically. He's as human as he is alien, so he is capable of error, not thinking things through and letting his anger get to him. I'm sure he will develop in the sequel(s).
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
squishy
squishy

PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 09, 2014 5:25 pm

Scary wrote:
The point is that he's not 'real Superman' yet. I like the fact that they actually gave him the ability to make mistakes; he's literally just become Superman, it would be unbelievable and unrealistic if he just knew what to do automatically. He's as human as he is alien, so he is capable of error, not thinking things through and letting his anger get to him. I'm sure he will develop in the sequel(s).

But knowing right from wrong is not something you learn from being a superhero.  Hopefully it is something you're learning from your family.  Making mistakes like letting some innocent civies get killed would be one thing.  Clark needs to learn how to focus on the consequences of his actions and he feels really sorry for being hot tempered and not taking the fight out of Metropolis.  If there was some recognition of feeling bad then I'd buy that from a young Superman.

Going around and snapping necks?  That was just a bad choice by the director/writers.  Sure Zod can move his eyes without his head so the family should be dead.  And all Superman had to do was fly up with Zod or cover his eyes and crisis is averted.  It was a silly situation to put Superman into just so they could make Superman kill a villain.  They didn't want a "mistake" that wanted a killer.  If that's what the creators of the movie wanted, why not pick a protagonist that doesn't mind a little killing?  

By the way, I also detested the ending of Dinos on a Spaceship for similar reasons.  The Doctor always tries to help, even save the badguys.  For him to deny helping Solomon and smile with glee as the villain is killed didn't seem very Doctor-ish.  It makes me a little sad that killing gets mixed up with being heroic these days.  I much preferred Clara when she looked upset with the Doctor(s) has he was about to push the big red Moment button.  You want to believe that heroes will always find a better way.

I don't think it ruins the franchise like Superman Returns.  I'm looking forward to more DC movies and to see if they can combine them as well as The Avengers.  But if you're going to pick a bunch of heroes who refuse to participate in cold-blooded killing then please don't make them killers.  Go make Wolverine movies where you can kill as many villains as you want.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 09, 2014 7:23 pm

I was shocked the first time I saw Superman snap Zod's neck. Killing him this way was a lot more intense than taking away his powers, breaking his hand and dropping him down a crevasse like he killed him in "Superman II". Superman's cry of anguish after he snapped his neck will most likely go on to mean that he will vow to never intentionally take a life again. Something that did happen in some versions of the comic story as well. I think he actually executed him in one version.

While I have to assume there could have been deaths in Metropolis, they didn't show any in the destruction caused in the battle between Zod, the Kryptonians and Superman in "Superman II" either. But most of those deaths in "Man of Steal" would have been caused when the Kryptonian's ship first attacked. Most people could have fled by the battle between Zod and Superman at the end. And since Superman was the only one fast enough to fly to India to destroy the machine, he could not be in Metropolis to stop those deaths.

My main issue with this movie is that is a darker retelling of "Superman II", just as "Star Trek Into Darkness" was a retelling of "Wrath of Khan".

Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2205
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 09, 2014 10:36 pm

http://www.oafe.net/blog/2013/08/movie-masters-superman-vs-zod-addendum/
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 09, 2014 10:51 pm

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:

cheers
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
squishy
squishy

PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 1:21 pm

Does the director's cut of Superman II improve that movie at all? I re-watched all four of those films last year and didn't particularly like II. Superman IV wasn't very good either, but for different reasons.

Maybe I just like Luthor, Brainiac (preferably without speedo), or one of Superman's other rogues to fighting General Zod. Zod always seems to have great potential to be a sympathetic guy saving his race, but ends up being portrayed as a fascist murderer.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 pm

squishy wrote:
Does the director's cut of Superman II improve that movie at all?  I re-watched all four of those films last year and didn't particularly like II.  Superman IV wasn't very good either, but for different reasons.  

Well I thought 2 was the best of the Reeve era, and when I finally watched the director cut, I preferred it to the theatrical version. I haven't gotten any of then to own yet, but I will be getting the directors cut for 2 instead of the regular.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 1:45 pm

Cruel Angel wrote:
squishy wrote:
Does the director's cut of Superman II improve that movie at all?  I re-watched all four of those films last year and didn't particularly like II.  Superman IV wasn't very good either, but for different reasons.  

Well I thought 2 was the best of the Reeve era, and when I finally watched the director cut, I preferred it to the theatrical version. I haven't gotten any of then to own yet, but I will be getting the directors cut for 2 instead of the regular.

The "Donner Cut" is SO superior to the theatrical release. I didn't like Superman 2 at all in the theatre, but loved the revised DVD version.

Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: The Man of Steel   The Man of Steel - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 4:52 pm

Scary wrote:
Evil Monkey Pope wrote:

cheers

That's it!
Back to top Go down

The Man of Steel
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5