Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeSearchRegisterLog inThe Who North America Online StoreLatest images

Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!)

Go down 
+7
jaredofmo
Cruel Angel
Rust
SeaDevil
squishy
Ronpur
Just Scott
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Just Scott
Just Scott

Number of posts : 1269
Registration date : 2012-01-11

Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!) Empty
PostSubject: Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!)   Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!) EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 9:04 am

This is being discussed in the "Man of Steel" thread. I just thought it needed a thread of its own!

Ben Affleck has been cast as Bruce Wayne/Batman in the follow up to Man of Steel. Some fans are in utter disbelief & many a flame war has started on various forums.

How do i feel?....................................

If this were the Affleck of yesteryear, I would be curled up in a ball - shaking & sobbing. Back "in the day", he had a kinda Midas* touch about his work. Please note, by Midas, I mean he turned everything he starred in into poop!......a bit like Ryan Reynolds does now - only stinkier poop!

However, the Affleck of now is a better actor. His time behind the camera has, IMO, improved what we see infront of the camera.

BUT..............will he be able to pull off a convincing Bruce Wayne? Only time will tell!

Has Bale made the role impossible to follow on from? Again, only time will tell!

Will I be looking on with excitement? Abso-friggin-lutely!!

This has been one big screen pairing I have wanted to see since - forever!!

Last edited by Just Scott on Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!)   Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!) EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 1:32 pm

At first I totally freak out and was done. But, I realize I haven't seen him in anything in a long time. I did not see Argo. I think Sum of all Fears was the last movie I saw of his. Then I also remembered Michael Keaton and Heath Ledger. Both names I would never have picked for the roles of Batman and Joker. And they were amazing.

So, after calming down, I realize it may work out great. And if it doesn't, I still have the great animated movies to enjoy for JLA.

And besides....no one can be as bad a choice as George Clooney!
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2483
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!)   Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!) EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 6:07 pm

Bale is not the gold standard for Batman.
I didn't even really like the movies as Batman movies. They were entertaining enough, but I've got to go with Batman: Animated Series or even Adam West for live action Batman. When you say "I'm Batman" it is not Mr. Bale that springs to my mind.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7000
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!)   Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!) EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 6:13 pm

I'm totally cool with Ben Affleck. I think he's underrated as an actor.

Seriously.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!)   Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!) EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 6:29 pm

I think he could work. He's a comics fan so he brings a respect to the properties to the role, no small thing given Warner/DC's abysmal track record in regards to getting their properties translated into Live Action.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!)   Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!) EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 7:42 pm

squishy wrote:
I didn't even really like the movies as Batman movies.  They were entertaining enough, but I've got to go with Batman: Animated Series or even Adam West for live action Batman.  When you say "I'm Batman" it is not Mr. Bale that springs to my mind.
Word. Squishy 3:16

Bale didn't bring anything to the role to make it his own. Easily replaceable.

For me, Conroy and Keaton spring to mind... and Hamill for The Joker.

With all the backlash on the internet making the mainstream press about Affleck, I have to think that DC should be worried about losing whatever momentum they finally got with Meh of Steel and deciding to go with Bats in the sequel.

Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!)   Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!) EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 8:24 pm

They could've gone with this guy:

Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!) Tumblr_inline_mryuc6eRWl1qz4rgp
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2205
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!)   Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!) EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 9:38 pm

I had my heart set on Alec Baldwin's head superimposed onto a much younger stunt performer's body.
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Biggles
Biggles

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2011-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!)   Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!) EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 11:41 pm

squishy wrote:
I didn't even really like the movies as Batman movies.  They were entertaining enough, but I've got to go with Batman: Animated Series or even Adam West for live action Batman.  When you say "I'm Batman" it is not Mr. Bale that springs to my mind.
Thank you for that! I always feel like I'm committing some sort of blasphemy when I say I'm not a fan of the Nolan Batman movies. (I do like the first, but not the second and third.) I much, much prefer the Animated Series. That's been my favorite screen Batman for 20 years.

For me personally, I'm willing to give Ben Affleck a chance.
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!)   Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!) EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 12:43 am

THE REAL BATMAN IS REVEALED!

Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!) Article-2005615-0CA36DDB00000578-440_468x696

Razz
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!)   Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!) EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 1:02 am

I do not get all the Affleck hate at ALL. As has been said, he's grown a lot as an actor. I'm mostly undecided, but the reaction has been pretty over the top.

Matt could make a seriously awesome Riddler.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!)   Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!) EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 1:56 am

I watched Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Have not seen The Dark Knight Rises and don't really have it as a priority. I get that they're well-done films, but I just don't enjoy them.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!)   Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!) EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 5:36 am

jonwes wrote:
I do not get all the Affleck hate at ALL.
Same reason people hated the idea of Heath Ledger being the Joker, or Michael Keaton being cast as Batman back in the 80s.

The Brokeback Mountain and Mr. Mom jokes flew far and fast.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!)   Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!) EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 9:45 am

For me, I knew Keaton was going to rock the part... all you had to do was see Beetlejuice. Heath was a good actor, and I didn't have any complaints about his casting either.

Affleck, yes. I can't help but to think they went more with trying to go with a big name/ name recognition than fitting the part (like the villain casting for Two Face, Mr Freeze, Riddler, etc)

Yes, a lot depends on the script (which I think was the worst point for Daredevil), but even there DC just hasn't proven itself in this modern era outside of the Nolan Bats films. Superman Returns, fail. GL, fail. WW, got rid of Whedon, then limbo. They had all the time to work on Meh of Steel, knowing any hope of starting another franchise and a potential group movie rested on it... they rob their best plot from the first films... and the outcome was just pretty average.

My expectations are just that... will prolly fall into that average category as well. Not bad, but still not as good as it could be.

Back to top Go down
Just Scott
Just Scott

PostSubject: Re: Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!)   Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!) EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 5:33 am

If done right, this will be epic!!
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!)   Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!) EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 9:20 am

I can't wait to see his battle with Bluntman and Chronic.......
Back to top Go down
Just Scott
Just Scott

PostSubject: Re: Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!)   Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!) EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 3:08 pm

New Casting news - Lex Luthor & Alfred.

Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!) Jessese

BURBANK, CA, January 31, 2014 – Warner Bros. Pictures announced today that Jess Eisenberg has been set to star as Lex Luthor and Jeremy Irons will play Alfred in the upcoming Zack Snyder untitled Superman/Batman film. The dual announcement was made today by Greg Silverman, President, Creative Development and Worldwide Production, and Sue Kroll, President, Worldwide Marketing and International Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures. Snyder stated, “Lex Luthor is often considered the most notorious of Superman’s rivals, his unsavory reputation preceding him since 1940. What’s great about Lex is that he exists beyond the confines of the stereotypical nefarious villain. He’s a complicated and sophisticated character whose intellect, wealth and prominence position him as one of the few mortals able to challenge the incredible might of Superman. Having Jesse in the role allows us to explore that interesting dynamic, and also take the character in some new and unexpected directions.” The director added, “As everyone knows, Alfred is Bruce Wayne’s most trusted friend, ally and mentor, a noble guardian and father figure. He is an absolutely critical element in the intricate infrastructure that allows Bruce Wayne to transform himself into Batman. It is an honor to have such an amazingly seasoned and gifted actor as Jeremy taking on the important role of the man who mentors and guides the guarded and nearly impervious façade that encapsulates Bruce Wayne.”

Great casting for Alfred & I really like the direction that they're taking for Lex!!

BRING IT!!!
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!)   Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!) EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 3:36 pm

Lex is an interesting choice, to be sure. Cranston would have been great, but I appreciate the direction this probably signals.
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!)   Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!) EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 3:55 pm

Hrmm, wouldn't have guessed Eisenburg, but Snyder did pick well with the casting of Kal-El, Jor-El and Zod, so I have faith in his decisions.
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com

Man of Steel 2 (The OLD Ben Affleck as Batman thread!)
Page 1 of 1