35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Krynoid
Krynoid

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-01-29

Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 12 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 11:17 am

I'm confused.

How did we go from "over 100" episodes found to 9 episodes found?
Back to top Go down
thebreen

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 12 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 12:00 pm

Krynoid wrote:
I'm confused.

How did we go from "over 100" episodes found to 9 episodes found?

The numbers got muddled a number of ways:

1. A few months ago, there was the story that over a hundred had been discovered. Whether or not THAT report had anything to do with these episodes, I don't know.

2. A number of sites got details mixed up when listing the total number of lost episodes (was 106) and listed this number as what was found. Alternately, in some cases it was just fans misreading this number and repeating what the 'thought' they read.

3. They actually DID find more a few episodes than these 9... but don't get excited. The other episodes found in this cache are episodes that still exist in the BBC archives (for example this cache included Web of Fear Part One, but BBC already have it, and it's already on DVD!)

Last edited by thebreen on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Krynoid
Krynoid

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 12 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 12:03 pm

Aah I C
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 12 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 12:48 pm

It seems like the report a few months back about "over 100" episodes being found could still have some validity to it considering that report said those supposed 100 episodes were found in Africa, which is where Phil Morris found these 9 episodes. Actually, both stories could be connected. However, even if over 100 tapes were found, I doubt very much that they were all missing episodes.

But anyway, this is fantastic news that these 9 episodes have been found! More Troughton to add to the collection!! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
Jackknight
Jackknight

Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2011-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 12 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 1:00 pm

This is great news. It's obvious that we've been lied to about the rumors for some time now. I mean how could The Enemy of the World dvd (with extras possibly) be ready and restored in time for a release next month if everyone on the production team just found out about it? So I see no reason to believe anyone now about there not possibly being more episodes.

So I guess we'll just have to wait and see. (and hope and pray) Otherwise I'm just very excited to see more Troughton episodes on DVD. Can't wait to buy them when they're released. Smile 
Back to top Go down
http://CriticalMess.net
thebreen

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 12 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 1:43 pm

Jackknight wrote:
This is great news. It's obvious that we've been lied to about the rumors for some time now. I mean how could The Enemy of the World dvd (with extras possibly) be ready and restored in time for a release next month if everyone on the production team just found out about it? So I see no reason to believe anyone now about there not possibly being more episodes.

So I guess we'll just have to wait and see. (and hope and pray) Otherwise I'm just very excited to see more Troughton episodes on DVD. Can't wait to buy them when they're released. Smile 

While I respect that the parties involved didn't want to be incessantly badgered by over-enthusiastic (or abusive) fans, it seems to me there were some marketing purposes behind the secrecy as well, which is understandable.  As I said earlier in this forum, it makes sense to release the episodes for public consumption immediately upon announcement, thus letting the excitement of the find do have the promotional work!

Presumably, any months/weeks of denials or secrecy would be for negotiation/researching purposes. This, indeed, would be delicate, and no place for rabid fans to interfere.

The last few days (after the BBC announced, in general, that episodes had been found and there would be a press conference)... - those few days, would seem to be for marketing purposes.  It seems HIGHLY unlikely to me that the BBC would call a press conference while any 'delicate negotiotions' were still going on. That just doesn't make sense. What DOES make sense is that the files were being readied for iTunes.  That's why they have a press conference on Thursday, banning any talk about what the press conference announced until after midnight UK time... which is when they went up on iTunes.

BTW - to anybody watching these on iTunes (which I don't have), do the episodes look VidFire-restored?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 12 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 2:16 pm

Web of Fear was not restored, one site is urging people to wait for the DVD.
Back to top Go down
Steve Of Destruction
Steve Of Destruction

Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2010-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 12 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 3:20 pm

I'm getting the iTunes and the DVD. I would urge people to do the same, to support 60s Who!
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 12 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 5:05 pm

I can't wait to get my hands on The Enemy of the World. It was the first use of split screen camera techniques on Television...plus seeing Patrick Troughton playing both the hero and the villain makes me giddy.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 12 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 6:08 pm

Oh my giddy aunt! I finally got my apple iTune thing working and I am downloading Web of Fear now!
Back to top Go down
Steve Of Destruction
Steve Of Destruction

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 12 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 6:16 pm

I'm taking it slow. I watched the first 3 episodes of Enemy, but I don't want to "binge" watch them all at once!
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 12 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 6:43 pm

I was just reading that the DVDs are NOT two disc sets, The covers posted yesterday were incorrect.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 12 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 7:02 pm

I'm still not "in" with Digital Downloading, so I'll be waiting for the DVD releases. Which really is fine, since I've added The Reign of Terror, The Dominators, The Claws of Axos, and Scream of the Shalka to my collection that I've yet to watch.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 12 EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 6:51 am

Watched the first twp episodes last night. Then I had a dream I was being chased by Yeti in Hogworts after we stole a sphere from Snape. They only stopped when we ran into a fire house and they thought the fire fighting foam was their fungus......
Back to top Go down
D4L3K
D4L3K

Number of posts : 1038
Registration date : 2007-09-14

PostSubject: missing   Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 12 EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 7:49 am

I just want to throw this out there. I was informed by someone who told me beforehand about the two missing stories being returned, that there are more lost episodes on the way.
They are being negotiated for. Marco Polo is next. The guy who has them is demanding a lot of money for them. He is holding Web of Fear episode 3 as a bargaining chip.
The 9 episodes cost the BBC a total of the cost to produce a new series. Which is why we didn't get one this year.
BBC is depending on the sales of the missing episodes on iTunes, to secure Marco Polo's release. They are hoping to surprise us with it either by the anniversary or Christmas.
I'm also told he has Tenth Planet episode 4 and Power of the Daleks (all 6 episodes) as well as 3 episodes of the Myth Makers and all of the Massacre. Amongst many more. The omni rumor is not a rumor, but contains fact.
So anyone wanting to help please buy from iTunes and don't resort to anything less. Smile
Also please don't run to GallifreyBase as they are trying to curtail info because they are in the spotlight.
Anything to help negotiations resume for further lost episodes to be handed over.
I'm just passing along what was told to me by someone who knows what's happening. So behave people. Smile

Last edited by SeaDevil on Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : post moved to this thread by SeaDevil, Moderator)
Back to top Go down
Steve Of Destruction
Steve Of Destruction

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 12 EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 9:58 am

I like Enemy so far. It really has a motion picture type scope to it, very Avengers-esque.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 12 EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 6:08 pm

D4L3K wrote:
I just want to throw this out there. I was informed by someone who told me beforehand about the two missing stories being returned, that there are more lost episodes on the way.
They are being negotiated for. Marco Polo is next. The guy who has them is demanding a lot of money for them. He is holding Web of Fear episode 3 as a bargaining chip.
The 9 episodes cost the BBC a total of the cost to produce a new series. Which is why we didn't get one this year.
BBC is depending on the sales of the missing episodes on iTunes, to secure Marco Polo's release. They are hoping to surprise us with it either by the anniversary or Christmas.
I'm also told he has Tenth Planet episode 4 and Power of the Daleks (all 6 episodes) as well as 3 episodes of the Myth Makers and all of the Massacre. Amongst many more. The omni rumor is not a rumor, but contains fact.
So anyone wanting to help please buy from iTunes and don't resort to anything less. Smile
Also please don't run to GallifreyBase as they are trying to curtail info because they are in the spotlight.
Anything to help negotiations resume for further lost episodes to be handed over.
I'm just passing along what was told to me by someone who knows what's happening. So behave people. Smile
Well, from what I understand, this "guy" has spent a lot of time and his own money to find these episodes. And the BBC didn't fund his search. He deserves compensation.
So, I am very happy to do my part to fund the return.

I don't know anything about bargaining chips and other episodes, as far as I am concerned, those are just more rumors until I can see the official announcements.
Back to top Go down
D4L3K
D4L3K

Number of posts : 1038
Registration date : 2007-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 12 EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 6:42 pm

Ronpur wrote:
D4L3K wrote:
Well, from what I understand, this "guy" has spent a lot of time and his own money to find these episodes.  And the BBC didn't fund his search.  He deserves compensation.  
So, I am very happy to do my part to fund the return.  

I don't know anything about bargaining chips and other episodes, as far as I am concerned, those are just more rumors until I can see the official announcements.

He's definitely sure that Marco Polo is next. So yeah. More fun on the way. Smile
Back to top Go down
lovelikewinter

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2011-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 12 EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 12:10 am

D4L3K wrote:

There is some truth in this. Marco, Massacre and Macra are the rumored Phase II. With the announcements spread out they can maximize profits.

Also think for a second why Enemy is coming out now and Web in 2014 with a release date that is tentative? They want Ep3 back to put on the DVD.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 12 EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 6:48 am

If more material has been found, I'm perfectly fine with letting the BBC stagger the release.

Because, let's face it - once these stories are back in the fold, they're back in the fold...and the fewer of these announcements we have to look forward to.

Also, anyone who does hold lost episodes and know what they have...can demand a lot of money from them. Especially the likes of Marco Polo and ESPECIALLY any Dalek story, given how notorious Nation was about allowing syndication rights to those stories.
Back to top Go down
D84
D84

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 12 EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 8:16 pm

Even though I prefer DVD, I went ahead and downloaded The Enemy of the World. It's well worth it at only $9.99. This is one of the better Patrick Troughton stories I've seen. If you haven't yet, check it out.
Back to top Go down
SJA
SJA

Number of posts : 625
Registration date : 2013-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 12 EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 10:22 pm

I'm watching Enemy of the World now - up to Episode 6

I love the 2nd doctor and most of his stories but this one has had me glued to the computer screen haha
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 12 EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 12:13 pm

http://www.from-the-archive.co.uk/2013/10/the-surreal-reality-of-this-missing.html
Back to top Go down
thebreen

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 12 EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 2:00 pm

lovelikewinter wrote:
D4L3K wrote:
There is some truth in this.  Marco, Massacre and Macra are the rumored Phase II.  With the announcements spread out they can maximize profits.

Also think for a second why Enemy is coming out now and Web in 2014 with a release date that is tentative?  They want Ep3 back to put on the DVD.

Enemy has a set date because it's restoration work is done.

Web of Fear is tentative because they're still working on restoration, and possibly trying to animate Episode 3.

Please let's not give into flights of fancy and conspiracy theories about episodes being 'held back'.  A rumor is a rumor, and nothing more. This is exactly the type of rumor that hinders the search and causes those searching for (and finding) the episodes to be 'harrassed' by some fans for some imaginary slight against fandom. As was said earlier, behave people! Wink

In retrospect, I'm convinced the 'secrecy' around the announcement was just due to BBC wanting to have all their ducks in a row for marketing the newly discovered episodes.

Just be happy we have these wonderful episodes back for the 50th anniversary... and those of you with iTunes be thankful you have the chance to watch them. I don't have iTunes, so I'm out of luck until the DVDs come out here in the states!Crying or Very sad 
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 12 EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 2:49 pm

I have read elsewhere that episode 3 of Web of Fear had actually had it's film can open at some point and it had decayed, not that it was a "bargaining chip". Some how, that seams more likely to me. Simplest explanation and it may just be that it was tossed years ago. And it also seams likely this is all that was found.

Getting iTunes on a laptop is just a free download. And once your account is set up, it doesn't cost more that the $9.99 to download each story. I had some issues with crating my account but that seams to be because they were overloaded the night they went up for sale.
Back to top Go down

Lost episode's discovered?
Page 12 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next