greenk9
stetsons_are_cool7
Rust
Scary
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Rate S7E5: The Angels Take Manhattan
FANTASTIC!
S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_lcap40%S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 40% [ 17 ]
Good
S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_lcap33%S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 33% [ 14 ]
Okay...
S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_lcap19%S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 19% [ 8 ]
Bad
S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_lcap5%S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 5% [ 2 ]
AWFUL!
S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_lcap5%S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 5% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 43

AuthorMessage
Rocco
Rocco

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-06-30

S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 11:54 pm

Ronpur wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Ronpur wrote:
Yes, that problem was because of the time distortion caused by the angels. That is why he needed River to light the way for him. With those angels gone, what would be the problem. Unless they were totally wrong and Amy and Rory jumping did not erase them with the paradox. And the angels survived. And if the angels did survive, that would explain where the angel came from in the graveyard. So...the Doctor has just left a hive of angels in NYC.

But they didn't say it was because of the angels. The angels were there because of the time distortion.

I must have missed that, I thought the angels were causing the distortion.

The distortion came up while they were discussing why Rory couldn't of come via TARDIS.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 11:55 pm

kcooper76 wrote:
Ronpur wrote:
And the angels survived. And if the angels did survive, that would explain where the angel came from in the graveyard. So...the Doctor has just left a hive of angels in NYC.

He does say that lone Angel is a survivor from it...it's left over and weak, and probably died shortly after they left.

LOL, missed that too. I just need to rewatch it. Beyond that, I found it very enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
Rocco
Rocco

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 11:58 pm

Ronpur wrote:
kcooper76 wrote:
Ronpur wrote:
And the angels survived. And if the angels did survive, that would explain where the angel came from in the graveyard. So...the Doctor has just left a hive of angels in NYC.

He does say that lone Angel is a survivor from it...it's left over and weak, and probably died shortly after they left.

LOL, missed that too. I just need to rewatch it. Beyond that, I found it very enjoyable.

Me too. Definitely my favorite of Series 7 so far. Rated Fantastic. I liked how they did the ending. I'm going to miss Karen, I was one of the few that liked her. Maybe that's just my weakness for redheads.

My one problem was with the doctor healing Rivers wrist. Really? Really though?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 12:02 am

Rocco wrote:
Definitely my favorite of Series 7 so far. Rated Fantastic. I liked how they did the ending. I'm going to miss Karen, I was one of the few that liked her. Maybe that's just my weakness for redheads.

Yup. Mmhmm. Yes to all that (although I'll miss both of them)
Back to top Go down
Rocco
Rocco

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 12:04 am

kcooper76 wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Definitely my favorite of Series 7 so far. Rated Fantastic. I liked how they did the ending. I'm going to miss Karen, I was one of the few that liked her. Maybe that's just my weakness for redheads.

Me also again. Rory grew on me, I was sad when he was on the ledge. Sadly I knew they would be jumping together from the trailer but I was still sad.

But seriously how do you not miss this woman
Back to top Go down
TinDogRory
TinDogRory

Number of posts : 1462
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 12:26 am

Fantastic. Sure, there are problems. But egads, what a departure. Almost made me as sad as Donna's departure. And as a Rory fan... there may have been some mist on these eyes.

I enjoyed the Husband/Wife jokes with both couples. I also felt like River felt a lot more natural in the story. (Though we never do find out why she's there to begin with, just that she got there.)

I don't think this will be the last appearance of River. There's the line in Library/Forest where she says the Doctor came to her "in a new suit and haircut" which I always read as shorthand for "a new Regeneration." I imagine one or two more River episodes/appearances before Smith leaves and that will be it. (We do need to figure out why she has all of Capt. Jack's gear!)

Anyway, I had high expectations for this episode and was glued to the screen. Never a huge fan of the Angels, and I saw where the plot was going with their time-powers, but it was the natural solution.
Back to top Go down
http://aykfpod.com
neogeo
neogeo

Number of posts : 2159
Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 12:27 am

kcooper76 wrote:
Rocco wrote:

Same. Best of the 5, one of the very best of Matt's era. And I liked Amy & Rory both. I'm still not at all sure how my little niece will react ...
Back to top Go down
Gallifreys Loss
Gallifreys Loss

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2012-07-23

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 12:44 am

kcooper76 wrote:
Gallifreys Loss wrote:
I really liked the episode, but it was kind of just a rewrite of Blink. I thought the 9/11 tie in was a nice touch.

It was a "rewrite of Blink" in the same way Asylum of the Daleks was a rewrite of Dalek.

I think there were far more similarities and borrowed bits than that. It's just an opinion though.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 12:55 am

TinDogRory wrote:
(We do need to figure out why she has all of Capt. Jack's gear!)

I would just love to have both of them together at some point (hopefully next year), as the two of them are just my favorite characters to appear on the series.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 12:57 am

Gallifreys Loss wrote:

I think there were far more similarities and borrowed bits than that. It's just an opinion though.

I'd like to know what was so similar.
Back to top Go down
Rocco
Rocco

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 12:59 am

Gallifreys Loss wrote:

I think they took the things we saw in Blink and used more of the characteristics from the Angels in that episode, rather then the 2 parter in season 5.

A rewrite though? ehhh to far of a stretch.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 12:59 am

So, this is before the Library for River, since she's now a professor. Is this possibly her last appearance as well?

... Nah, Moff will bring her back for some crazy story...
Back to top Go down
Chuzzlewit
Chuzzlewit

Number of posts : 3864
Registration date : 2008-07-03

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 2:52 am

River will be around a lot more, that's for sure. And, when she's ready to go, we'll get that episode where he shows up and says Good-bye that River told the Tenth Doctor about.

Anyway, I am wondering about the whole never seeing Amy and Rory again thing. So, the Paradox prevents the TARDIS from every returning to New York, while the Time Manipulator wrist thing allows River to go in like a motorbike between traffic. So, River will get to send Amy the manuscript, while the Doctor never, ever, never, forever ever, not once again will get to see Amy or Rory.

Seems fishy.

I think Amy and Rory finally decided that they wanted to live out their lives together, in a linear non-timey wimey fashion, and rather than just be honest, they passive aggressively let this Paradox thing be their excuse not to see him again.

I mean, if it's a fact that the TARDIS can't return to Manhattan, because of the Paradox, couldn't they simply take the train to Boston or Philly and meet the Doctor?

Or, was it because, seeing their gravestones, they figured that to leave would cause another paradox, and the Doctor said another paradox would wipe out New York?

But, even if they traveled with him again, and made sure to be buried one day in New York...

I'm just not sure...

Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 9:14 am

Since we've already seen River's death it means her story could carry on for a lot longer. Yeah, she's a professor now, doesn't necessarily mean she's gonna die now though. I sure hope she doesn't, put it that way.

TinDogRory wrote:
(We do need to figure out why she has all of Capt. Jack's gear!)

She got her Vortex Manipulator from Dorium in 'The Pandorica Opens' if that's what you mean. Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
Just Scott
Just Scott

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 10:42 am

Out of the 5 episodes, I would happily watch this episode & "Asylum of the Daleks" again. The other three will live in the fob watch that I keep all the crappy episodes in.

It's choc full of Matt Smith episodes!! Razz
Back to top Go down
timewarrior
timewarrior

Number of posts : 4016
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 10:49 am

I loved it. . .though why couldn't the doctor just back to 1939? and get them. . .or 1940. . .or 1950? Also. . .weren't their future selves there for the silurian episode in series 5?

I also liked how Amy lived five more years than rory.
Back to top Go down
letmebestormy

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-07-10

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 11:14 am

I thought it was a good creepy episode. Angels were very scary, and I thought the cherubs were very well done and creepy. The love between Amy and Rory was well balanced I thought - not overdone and melodramatic, not snarky Amy as we have seen before.

The "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry" was very Tennant-ish. He's not going back to see them.

I LOVE that they finally explained the scene in the 11th Hour where young Amelia is sitting there waiting and you hear the Tardis but never see anything. I have always wondered what happened there and admittedly, after two seasons I gave up thinking they were ever going to wrap that up. As soon as she started talking about it in the afterword I was ecstatic. That was the most touching part of the episode for me. The Girl Who Waited created the Girl Who Waited.

Here's a screenshot of what the doctor was preening himself in the Tardis:

S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Dw1-L
Back to top Go down
TinDogRory
TinDogRory

Number of posts : 1462
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 11:37 am

I thought BLINK established that the Doctor can't just go back and rescue the people who get Angel'd, for paradox reasons. (Except for the time he saved himself and Martha, because they get the TARDIS) They instantly become part of events, a fixed point in time. And while I'm sure you could argue that The Doctor and River together could just storm through time and save Rory and Amy, that's just not narratively interesting.

Why he can't go back and get them has less to do with the New York Paradox then it does with the nature of the Angels themselves. I really enjoyed 11 slipping into his 10 personality with the "I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry." There's also a few times throughout the episode where the Doctor has that "look" on his face when he sees River, the "You're closer than ever to when I first met you."
Back to top Go down
http://aykfpod.com
hitman hart
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 12:14 pm

i thought this episode was fantastic on so many levels!!! i was so happy that they went back to the moment with amellia with the tardis sound and the smile that was in the first episode!! soo cool cant wait for more!!
Back to top Go down
Jackknight
Jackknight

Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2011-10-08

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 12:22 pm

Even if the TARDIS can no longer land in NY in 1938, couldn't the Doctor land in Pennsylvania, New Jersey; etc., hop on a bus and go visit the Ponds? And what's to stop him from landing there in 1950 or 1960 and visit them when they're older?

Honestly the whole he can't visit them ever again thing makes no sense.

Not that I'm complaining. I'm just glad they're gone.
Back to top Go down
http://CriticalMess.net
Chuzzlewit
Chuzzlewit

Number of posts : 3864
Registration date : 2008-07-03

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 12:38 pm

Jackknight wrote:
Even if the TARDIS can no longer land in NY in 1938, couldn't the Doctor land in Pennsylvania, New Jersey; etc., hop on a bus and go visit the Ponds? And what's to stop him from landing there in 1950 or 1960 and visit them when they're older?

Yes, it could. All Amy and Rory have to do is leave New York. They have to be buried there to not create another more explosive Paradox, as their gravestones are a fixed point, but they could see the Doctor if they wanted. Obviously, River will interact with them, getting the book to Amy to publish. Sounds like they don't want to see the Doctor.

(See my above post).

Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 1:17 pm

Jackknight wrote:

The real reason is the actors left the series.. anything on camera to explain why is just fluff and technobabble Razz

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 1:35 pm

Jackknight wrote:
Even if the TARDIS can no longer land in NY in 1938, couldn't the Doctor land in Pennsylvania, New Jersey; etc., hop on a bus and go visit the Ponds?

No, he can't. According to Amy's afterward she never sees him again, so that can't change.

All these questions have been answered already in this thread.... I would suggest watching the episode again, because all of it makes sense.
Back to top Go down
Rocco
Rocco

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 1:55 pm

Made me kinda sad.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 2:16 pm

Rocco wrote:

Made me kinda sad.

I watched that yesterday and it made me more sad than the episode did.
Back to top Go down

S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next