greenk9
stetsons_are_cool7
Rust
Scary
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Rate S7E5: The Angels Take Manhattan
FANTASTIC!
S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_lcap40%S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 40% [ 17 ]
Good
S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_lcap33%S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 33% [ 14 ]
Okay...
S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_lcap19%S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 19% [ 8 ]
Bad
S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 5% [ 2 ]
AWFUL!
S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 5% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 43

AuthorMessage
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 5:32 pm

A very sad episode indeed. I voted "Good" because although it was heart-wrenching and emotional I knew that they were gonna die/leave so I knew what was coming. Nonetheless, I was on the edge of tears.

Rory and Amy. I'm glad they're together. It's sad to see them go, though, but I think this was just the right time for them to leave. Three years is long enough for companions, more than long enough in fact. However, I will surely miss taking the mick out of Amy and adoring Rory's badd-ass-ness.

The Weeping Angels were not very scary at all. People always say they're "scared to death" of the Weeping Angels but they've never really scared me to be honest. They're awesome, they're fun, but not scary. They're also boring now, too, and it was clear that they were only in the episode as a plot device rather than being the ACTUAL plot. Which is fine by me because this is rightfully all about Rory and Amy's departure.

The roof scene almost caused cardiac arrest for these two hearts quite a few times. Rory kept losing his balance and stumbling, I nearly died with him... I was freaked out, too, cos I wasn't keen on the idea of them committing suicide. Thankfully that wasn't the case, thankfully they woke up in the graveyard... But it annoyed me that the Doctor was only screaming "AMY!" over the edge and not Rory... Um, hello, Rory's the bad-ass here. Not her.

Thankfully they woke up in the graveyard though, but as soon as they did I knew what was coming... If only Rory hadn't looked at that flaming gravestone! Grrrrr. I guess the Angel would have caught them one time or another though. It had to happen. *Sobs*

The ending with "the last page" was sad. That's what got me teary. But once again it was all about Amy and no Rory. That really irks me. Ah well, I guess the male companion is always going to be the disregarded one.

My only real qualms with this are that I have no idea why the Angels were even in New York in the first place, no one seems to have thought of Brian in all of this..., the Doctor just left that one Angel in the graveyard to carry on ruining innocent lives, and finally the Statue of Liberty should not have been a Weeping Angel - it's not made of stone, it's made of copper. I know all the statues in the city had been given life by the Weeping Angels but the whole point in Weeping Angels is that they turn to STONE when you're looking at them... Not copper.

All in all, a very good, action-packed and emotional episode. 7/10 I'd say.
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 7:00 pm

kcooper76 wrote:

I also really loved the look of this episode. This particular director might be my favorite they've had on the series (Same one as the premiere and a couple other episodes, including The Girl Who Waited)

Another brilliant thing was that there was NO silliness to be found. Been a long time since we had an episode like that. I'm going to go ahead and vote 'fantastic'.... because I want this kind of tone in every episode of the show.

Very much agreed.

Hurran needs to direct at least a couple of episodes a series.

Wish we could get this type of story and drama all the time.

Easily my fav ep of this series so far.
Back to top Go down
guvnagrover
guvnagrover

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2012-05-06

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 8:16 pm

Cruel Angel wrote:
kcooper76 wrote:

I also really loved the look of this episode. This particular director might be my favorite they've had on the series (Same one as the premiere and a couple other episodes, including The Girl Who Waited)

Another brilliant thing was that there was NO silliness to be found. Been a long time since we had an episode like that. I'm going to go ahead and vote 'fantastic'.... because I want this kind of tone in every episode of the show.

Very much agreed.

Hurran needs to direct at least a couple of episodes a series.

Wish we could get this type of story and drama all the time.

Easily my fav ep of this series so far.

Agreed!! Dagnabbit...I want a Rory figure...STAT!!!
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 10:01 pm

DAMMIT, RORY! WHY DID YOU HAVE TO GO BACK TO LOOK AT THAT GRAVESTONE?

Well, we called it.

So, this episode takes place before Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead for River. So, will it be her last episode?

I kind of hope it'll be the last episode for the Angels. I think they were better handled than their appearance in The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone, but it'll never top the first time you saw Blink.

Still, bye Amy and Rory... I'll miss you guys. So glad that Amy was that committed to Amy and showing that she died Amelia Williams rather than them taking the last name Pond.

Last edited by jaredofmo on Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 10:04 pm

Glad Amy and Rory are gone.... I hope the next companion(s) will not make it a soap opera in space.
Back to top Go down
neogeo
neogeo

Number of posts : 2159
Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 10:06 pm

I'm debating with myself. I'm not sure I'll let my little niece watch it. I think it might put her off The Doctor altogether. She adores Amy & Rory, and seeing their gravestone would be traumatic for her, of that I am certain.
Back to top Go down
stetsons_are_cool7
stetsons_are_cool7

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2012-02-20

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 10:13 pm

It seemed like a little bit much just for the Ponds to leave the series. Can't they just leave with a goodbye or something?

Could the Angels always warp people through time and space?

I actually prefer them both sacrificing themselves in order to wipe out the Angels rather than what actually happened to them. (Even though there was a fire escape on the other side of the rooftop...) The twist ending seemed more like a cheap shot in fact.

I was also bothered by how reluctant the Doctor was to help them, going on about fixed points and not changing the future. After all, his death was a fixed point but he found a way to get out of it.

Sigh, poor, poor Rory...
Back to top Go down
http://creativecritic.blogspot.com/
Gallifreys Loss
Gallifreys Loss

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2012-07-23

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 10:17 pm

davro wrote:
Glad Amy and Rory are gone.... I hope the next companion(s) will not make it a soap opera in space.

You and me both!! And I hope the Doctor loses that kissy business...so freakin' kissy lately!!
Back to top Go down
Gallifreys Loss
Gallifreys Loss

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2012-07-23

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 10:20 pm

I really liked the episode, but it was kind of just a rewrite of Blink. I thought the 9/11 tie in was a nice touch.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 10:40 pm

Gallifreys Loss wrote:
I really liked the episode, but it was kind of just a rewrite of Blink. I thought the 9/11 tie in was a nice touch.

It was a "rewrite of Blink" in the same way Asylum of the Daleks was a rewrite of Dalek.
Back to top Go down
rmlextreme
rmlextreme

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 10:47 pm

Well that was a Great episode and soooo Depressing wow. I turned the TV off for about 5 mins to compose a little then turned it back on and Great more sadness.

I Will never go to New York Ever Again !!!!!!!!!!!

Now we get to go through Withdraw until Christmas

Back to top Go down
Rocco
Rocco

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-06-30

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 11:21 pm

Am I the only one glad that we now know why everyone is forgetting the doctor? People can stop complaining about it now.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 11:22 pm

I just realized something. Amy and Rory got sent back in time, but why did they decide to stay in New York instead of going back to England? Yeah, this is because they had to since they saw they were buried in New York.

We also don't know when they died, only that they presumably die of old age and were gone by 2012. Their tombstone looks far too clean to have just sat there for a very long time. They didn't have any kids and they have no relations (they're all back in England, wondering where the heck they've disappeared to), so who'd be keeping their grave clean?

Another bit of tombstone trivia: Rory's middle name is "Arthur." Arthur Darvill's middle name is Arthur. (He's really named Thomas Arthur Darvill.)

Last edited by jaredofmo on Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 11:32 pm

I have to watch that again....I am so confused, I must have missed something. If the Doctor finds out you have died, he can never go back in time to visit you? Since when? I can understand him not being able to remove them from their timeline.....but why can he not visit them at least.
Back to top Go down
Rocco
Rocco

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 11:33 pm

Ronpur wrote:
I have to watch that again....I am so confused, I must have missed something. If the Doctor finds out you have died, he can never go back in time to visit you? Since when? I can understand him not being able to remove them from their timeline.....but why can he not visit them at least.

He couldn't go back to New York around that time. That was where they lived.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 11:40 pm

Rocco wrote:
Ronpur wrote:

But the Angels in 1938 were gone. He should have no problem going back there now. It would be like reading a history of WW2 and reading when Churchill died. He could never visit him again.
Back to top Go down
Rocco
Rocco

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 11:43 pm

Ronpur wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Ronpur wrote:

But the Angels in 1938 were gone. He should have no problem going back there now. It would be like reading a history of WW2 and reading when Churchill died. He could never visit him again.

It wasn't an angel problem. At the beginning he described going into New York as like landing a plane in a blizzard. I forgot what they described it as but after the paradox it became even worse so that he couldn't land there again.
Back to top Go down
D84
D84

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 11:44 pm

Ronpur wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Ronpur wrote:

Valid point.

Also, how come the Angels were able to take Amy while the Doctor and River were watching?
Back to top Go down
Rocco
Rocco

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 11:45 pm

D84 wrote:
Ronpur wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Ronpur wrote:

Valid point.

Also, how come the Angels were able to take Amy while the Doctor and River were watching?

River and The Doctor were looking at Amy.
Back to top Go down
D84
D84

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 11:47 pm

Rocco wrote:
D84 wrote:
Ronpur wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Ronpur wrote:

Valid point.

But the angel wasn't completely out of view for both of them. The Doctor and River were in different places. One of them had to be able to see the Angel, even if Amy was the focus.

River and The Doctor were looking at Amy.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 11:48 pm

Rocco wrote:

It wasn't an angel problem. At the beginning he described going into New York as like landing a plane in a blizzard. I forgot what they described it as but after the paradox it became even worse so that he couldn't land there again.

That's your answer, Ronpur. The Tardis can no longer land there after messing with time the way it did. They couldn't travel to another location to be picked up by the Tardis, either...since Amy's entry at the end stated they never see him again.

Last edited by kcooper76 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 11:50 pm

Yes, that problem was because of the time distortion caused by the angels. That is why he needed River to light the way for him. With those angels gone, what would be the problem. Unless they were totally wrong and Amy and Rory jumping did not erase them with the paradox. And the angels survived. And if the angels did survive, that would explain where the angel came from in the graveyard. So...the Doctor has just left a hive of angels in NYC.
Back to top Go down
Rocco
Rocco

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 11:51 pm

Ronpur wrote:
Yes, that problem was because of the time distortion caused by the angels. That is why he needed River to light the way for him. With those angels gone, what would be the problem. Unless they were totally wrong and Amy and Rory jumping did not erase them with the paradox. And the angels survived. And if the angels did survive, that would explain where the angel came from in the graveyard. So...the Doctor has just left a hive of angels in NYC.

But they didn't say it was because of the angels. The angels were there because of the time distortion.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 11:53 pm

Ronpur wrote:
And the angels survived. And if the angels did survive, that would explain where the angel came from in the graveyard. So...the Doctor has just left a hive of angels in NYC.

He does say that lone Angel is a survivor from it...it's left over and weak, and probably died shortly after they left.

Last edited by kcooper76 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)   S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 11:53 pm

Rocco wrote:
Ronpur wrote:

But they didn't say it was because of the angels. The angels were there because of the time distortion.

I must have missed that, I thought the angels were causing the distortion.
Back to top Go down

S7E5: Angels Take Manhattan (SPOILERS)
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next