25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

Custom Tutorial Thread - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Custom Tutorial Thread - Page 10 EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 10:35 pm

Trying to get some ideas on how to do this.

This is my Ozma custom (left) as of Sunday morning (that rubbish fabric has since been removed).

Custom Tutorial Thread - Page 10 S5030463

This is what Ozma looks like in the Oz books:

Custom Tutorial Thread - Page 10 Ozma

How to do that crown? I got wire, but I couldn't shape it (or solder it) into the right shape. I considered "puff paint," but I can't find one that's just a flat, metallic gold instead of glitter. (But maybe I should keep looking.)

Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Custom Tutorial Thread - Page 10 EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 10:59 pm

For the flowers I would scour dollar shops/dollhouse suppliers/art stores for plastic flowers that might be in scale instead of trying to make my own.

As for the headband, puff paint would probably be the easiest method (good thinking!!!). Crowns/headbands are incredibly difficult to sculpt (I know, I'm doing the one in my avatar right now). I did a quick google search for "metallic gold puffy paint" and found references to some but no actual proof it exists. I did find some non-metallic, non-glittery gold though. You might have to go with that and carefulyl paint a metallic gold over it if you're dead set on the metallic part.

Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Custom Tutorial Thread - Page 10 EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 11:11 pm

Thanks. I have some gold-colored paint and white 3D paint. So I just attempted one paint app and there is now a tiny Z on her head. (Which sound SO weird out of context.) I'll wait for that to fully dry before attempting another. It's going to take awhile. I'll just have the crown look like it goes into her hair instead of making it wrap around her head.

I'll keep an eye out for tiny, tiny poppies...

I went out and bought some proper white cloth to make her dress with, so I might have her done soon.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Custom Tutorial Thread - Page 10 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 2:54 am

Anyone know what kind of toy I can use to make Yappy The Robot dog from Closing Time?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Custom Tutorial Thread - Page 10 EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 4:47 pm

long shot but anyone got an extra new dalek series 5 eye stalk? i need one for a custom
Back to top Go down
CGren123
CGren123

Number of posts : 2368
Registration date : 2009-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Custom Tutorial Thread - Page 10 EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 5:01 pm

MattyLover11 wrote:
Anyone know what kind of toy I can use to make Yappy The Robot dog from Closing Time?

If you want it in scale with the figures, I suggest simply modelling it.

MattyLover11 wrote:
long shot but anyone got an extra new dalek series 5 eye stalk? i need one for a custom

Have you tried contacting CO directly about spare parts?

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Custom Tutorial Thread - Page 10 EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 5:16 pm

CGren123 wrote:
MattyLover11 wrote:

If you want it in scale with the figures, I suggest simply modelling it.

MattyLover11 wrote:

Have you tried contacting CO directly about spare parts?

\

i could try. just that the shipping is high for me cause i live in the US. My only downfall. Sad Unless I'm reading the shipping wrong. Which does happen. Laughing

what could i use to model a yappy?

Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Custom Tutorial Thread - Page 10 EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 7:34 pm

I've made some Oz characters from polyclay. You sculpt it and bake it. Just be careful not to use too little clay, and make sure all parts are joined together. Also, try to make sure it's all supported by something. I have a Toto with a leg that breaks TOO easily and a Woozy whose head I had to glue back on.

Shaping polyclay is just like playing with play-doh, except it has to be kneaded first.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Custom Tutorial Thread - Page 10 EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 10:20 pm

anyone got two of these in orange? i'm only using the site cause i'm too lazy to crop the page for the pic. lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Dog-Novelty-Beads-Neon-25mm-1-Pick-Color-ABCraft-/220825027544?pt=Craft_Beads&var=&hash=item79151c7641
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Custom Tutorial Thread - Page 10 EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 11:13 pm

try a craft store maybe, like Michaels.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Custom Tutorial Thread - Page 10 EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 1:46 am

Ronpur wrote:
try a craft store maybe, like Michaels.

will do. thanks.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Custom Tutorial Thread - Page 10 EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 6:54 pm

I was thinking about taking the jacketless Traken Doctor and attempting to customize a Warriors Gate Doctor so that he would have the vest on.

However, after looking at the Traken Doctor, it doesn't seem that it would be as easy as replacing the 'shirt' as it is with the prior 4th Doctor figures.

I put the coat from an extra 5th Doc regen figure onto the Traken Doctor and it looks pretty good; however since the Traken Doctor has the new shoulder articulation, I wasn't sure how I could get the arms off of him, and if I did, whether or not the arms from the regen figure would fit into the arm slots...

Anyone thought about doing this and if so have any suggestions? I'd rather find out if it is possible to do before spending the $ to get the extra figures and it not work...
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Custom Tutorial Thread - Page 10 EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 7:01 pm

I've considered doing this as well. I would just cut the vest down the sides and superglue the front pieces underneath the jacket of a Warrior's Gate Tom. With the jacket on you'll never see the back of the vest so it doesn't really need to be there.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Custom Tutorial Thread - Page 10 EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 7:13 pm

rdks wrote:
I've considered doing this as well. I would just cut the vest down the sides and superglue the front pieces underneath the jacket of a Warrior's Gate Tom. With the jacket on you'll never see the back of the vest so it doesn't really need to be there.

Good idea! Is it me, or does the upper part of the vest look like it's part of the shirt? Seems that the lower part of the vest is 'loose'...

I was considering popping the shirt collar as well, so the '?' are visible; but when I did this with the spare 5th Doc regen figure, it just didn't look right.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Custom Tutorial Thread - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 12:55 am

ok i g joe figure in the mail and want to customize it as a German in Let's Kill Hitler. Any ideas? cheers
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Custom Tutorial Thread - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 1:06 am

Do you mean a GI Joe figure? If so, are you aware that they're way smaller than a Doctor Who figure?
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Custom Tutorial Thread - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 1:08 am

Also, there are many, many types of GI Joe figures. We'd need a bit more information (or a picture) to advise what to do.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Custom Tutorial Thread - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 1:17 am

Oh ok it's the cobra one destructo
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Custom Tutorial Thread - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 1:51 am

Assuming you mean Destro...

You'll need a human head to replace his metal head. Doctor Who heads will not fit, they're way too big, but there's plenty of other lines that size to choose from, including Star Wars. I know a regular GI Joe Cobra Soldier has a helmet very similar to a German helmet but they have a mask covering their nose & mouth. You'll have to look/ask around (sorry not too familiar with that line other than childhood memories). You might even get away with just painting Destro's head a skin colour, but it's quite small and painting eyes that small would be very difficult.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Custom Tutorial Thread - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 1:57 am

rdks wrote:
Assuming you mean Destro...

You'll need a human head to replace his metal head. Doctor Who heads will not fit, they're way too big, but there's plenty of other lines that size to choose from, including Star Wars. I know a regular GI Joe Cobra Soldier has a helmet very similar to a German helmet but they have a mask covering their nose & mouth. You'll have to look/ask around (sorry not too familiar with that line other than childhood memories). You might even get away with just painting Destro's head a skin colour, but it's quite small and painting eyes that small would be very difficult.

Thanks I'll look around
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Custom Tutorial Thread - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 9:30 am

There actually was a series of WW2 figures, just slightly larger than the GI Joe figures. Target used to carry them, but long gone now. Still, way too small for Doctor Who figures.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Custom Tutorial Thread - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 9:34 am

Ronpur wrote:
There actually was a series of WW2 figures, just slightly larger than the GI Joe figures. Target used to carry them, but long gone now. Still, way too small for Doctor Who figures.

Yea but I don't have a German anyway
Back to top Go down
CGren123
CGren123

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Custom Tutorial Thread - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 12:50 pm

Random question, but would an Eleventh Doctor head fit on a Fourth Doctor body?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Custom Tutorial Thread - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 1:00 pm

CGren123 wrote:

I heard its a pain to get off. Sad
Back to top Go down
CGren123
CGren123

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Custom Tutorial Thread - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 1:05 pm

MattyLover11 wrote:
CGren123 wrote:

I heard its a pain to get off. Sad

That's not an issue for me. I spent years popping heads off Star Trek figures.

Back to top Go down

Custom Tutorial Thread
Page 10 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next