35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Ianotimelord
Ianotimelord

Number of posts : 1495
Registration date : 2009-01-29

Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 7:17 am

A guy called Phillip Morris is leading the press conference, he is the one that found them. I wonder why even after the press conference it still has to be hush hush for a few more hours as TimDogRory said.
Back to top Go down
http://doctorwhotoys.forumshome.com/
Ianotimelord
Ianotimelord

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 7:18 am

UPDATE!! The Press conference is happening around now, 12.17pm UK time.
Back to top Go down
Brigadier

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 7:25 am

Apparently there is concern that the episodes could be streamed and then made available for free, thereby nixing the chances of getting any more...

Basically, a further suggestion that fans can't be trusted.

Now, I'm no advocate of piracy, but it strikes me that if it wasn't for people in the past recording stuff off-air for their own personal use (including the comedian Bob Monkhouse) we wouldn't have many of the 'lost' shows that have been recovered in recent years.

I'll guarantee you one thing... the Doctor Who episodes that do exist and have ever been released are never going to be 'lost' again. ;-)
Back to top Go down
Ianotimelord
Ianotimelord

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 7:31 am

I don't buy that if fans don't buy them we won't get anymore. The BBC would want their own stuff back. The BBC is still a public funded organisation so they can't hold fans to ransom.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 9:36 am

You can't trust the fans?

Excuse me, but WHO JUNKED THESE EPISODES IN THE FIRST PLACE?
Back to top Go down
thebreen

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 10:59 am

Brigadier wrote:
Apparently there is concern that the episodes could be streamed and then made available for free, thereby nixing the chances of getting any more...

Who's suggesting this?  

I don't buy this logic at all.

Are being told the BBC had to PAY somebody to get their property back?

If so, is the suggestion is that there are more episodes to be recovered from the current source, and the BBC are 'testing the waters' to see if they can make good money on restoring and releasing these episodes? Then surely, if the value is demonstrated whoever HAS the episodes will ask the BBC for more money?

Or is it more that the BBC won't spend the time/resources looking for lost episodes in the future?

Last edited by thebreen on Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ianotimelord
Ianotimelord

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 11:01 am

I seen Gary Russell has tweeted the latest rumour is that Enemy of the World is one of the stories.
Back to top Go down
Ianotimelord
Ianotimelord

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 11:03 am

thebreen wrote:
Brigadier wrote:

Who's suggesting this?  

I don't buy this logic at all.

Are being told the BBC had to PAY somebody to get their property back?

If so, is the suggestion is that there are more episodes to be recovered from the current source, and the BBC are 'testing the waters' to see if they can make good money on restoring and releasing these episodes, then surely, if the value is demonstrated whoever HAS the episodes will ask the BBC for more money?

Or is it more that the BBC won't spend the time/resources looking for lost episodes in the future?
Imagine the uproar IF the BBC could of got back more episodes but as fans didn't want to pay they said no thanks. Oh they have got a substantial amount back I think.
Back to top Go down
Ianotimelord
Ianotimelord

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 11:06 am

, Lance Parkin announces Web of Fear and Enemy of the World returned to BBC.

But wait!! I can't find his twtter a/c so take this with a pinch of salt!!

Last edited by Ianotimelord on Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
digby
digby

Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2007-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 11:12 am

Ianotimelord wrote:
, Lance Parkin announces Web of Fear and Enemy of the World returned to BBC
All the episodes? Is Web of Fear 3 still out?
Back to top Go down
http://www.toweroftechnobabble.com
Ianotimelord
Ianotimelord

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 11:13 am

Read my post again, had to change it Smile
Back to top Go down
Ianotimelord
Ianotimelord

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 11:15 am

There is an embargo on any information till 00.01 BST tomorrow morning
Back to top Go down
thebreen

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 11:15 am

I find the timing of this discovery very odd. It's been over twenty years since a complete lost story was discovered (Tomb of the Cybermen, 1992). Now there's a suggestion of 9 episodes turning up, possibly comprising two complete stories.

For now, I wonder if the 'powers-that-be' just put in extra effort this year, for the anniversary, to take one last stab at finding as many missing episodes as they could?

I look forward to hearing the story of the recovery almost as much as seeing the footage itself!
Back to top Go down
digby
digby

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 11:25 am

Ianotimelord wrote:
Read my post again, had to change it Smile
Aww ... I see!
Back to top Go down
SJA
SJA

Number of posts : 625
Registration date : 2013-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 12:22 pm

question is

Is that EVERYTHING that the bbc has had returned?? OR do they have more cans that they are not talking about??
Back to top Go down
thebreen

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 1:15 pm

SJA wrote:
question is

Is that EVERYTHING that the bbc has had returned?? OR do they have more cans that they are not talking about??

Which is exactly the type of speculation that one can expect to be created by such secrecy.  Any 'delicate negotiations' must surely be done by this point, so I don't understand the reason for all the hush-hush.

Unless some press agency/publisher is getting an 'exclusive' story.
Back to top Go down
amckinney
amckinney

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2010-11-19

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 1:21 pm

Someone who was supposedly at the press conferencte (but who didn't sign any non-disclosure forms) said that the announced "found" nine episodes are the ones that most of us have suspected: all five missing Enemy of the World episodes, and episodes 2,4,5,6 of Web of Fear. No other specific episodes were announced. I think they left it at "nine episodes have been returned with possibly more to come."

Someone else "in the know" has supposedly said that all of the wild speculating, name-calling, harrassment (i.e. sending emails to Mr. Morris' personal account, calling him on the phone, the very public personal attacks/rants by, ironically, "Mr. episode finder" himself, Ian Levine, etc) have caused delays/problems with securing materials for recovery, so all Doctor Who fans need to seriously "take a chill pill" in regards to further "unannounced" episodes, be patient and best of all, remain polite and resist the temptation to chatter, speculate, etc. The more patient we are about this, the better off we'll be (and presumably, a lot sooner).

By the way, the embargo is until midnight UK time, so those of us Stateside may be seeing official news around 8:00pm Eastern.
Back to top Go down
amckinney
amckinney

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 1:23 pm

thebreen wrote:
Any 'delicate negotiations' must surely be done by this point, so I don't understand the reason for all the hush-hush.
Because everything is not done at this point, as I understand it. Patience is a virtue (and, unfortunately, in short supply amongst Doctor Who fans).
Back to top Go down
amckinney
amckinney

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 1:29 pm

Here is the actual quote about Doctor Who fans being responsible for delays/difficulty in the return of lost material this year (from Outpost Skaro who were at the news conference):

it was confirmed to me that the rampant speculation and personal attackes that has been going on in some quarters of fandom has made the acquisition more difficult.

So, if anybody's got anything negative to say about the BBC, Mr. Morris, Mr. Vanezis, the tight lid on secrecy, etc., you're really just shooting us "all in the foot" by popping your mouth off online. We'll find out what we need to know, exactly when we need to know it. Seriously, chill out and celebrate in the knowledge that nine episodes are back safely. Just think, nine episodes coming back in 2013 is more episodes than have come back in the last decade or so (eight episodes, I think).
Back to top Go down
Indiana_Brian

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 1:35 pm

Ian Levine posted a link on his Twitter account to an article in a British paper, the Northern Echo, about what was found. It confirms that the five missing episodes of "Enemy of the World" and 4 episodes of "Web of Fear" have been returned. We are only missing episode 3 of "Web of Fear".

"Lost" Dr Who serial found gathering dust abroad

Last edited by Indiana_Brian on Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ianotimelord
Ianotimelord

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 1:36 pm

Apparently there are rumours there was a bit of an incident earlier on Youtube, it seems a bit of episode 6 of The Enemy of the World leaked, specifically the post-credits trailer with Patrick Troughton talking to the camera in character about the fact the Yeti were coming back next week. It has since been removed
Back to top Go down
digby
digby

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 1:53 pm

amckinney wrote:
Here is the actual quote about Doctor Who fans being responsible for delays/difficulty in the return of lost material this year (from Outpost Skaro who were at the news conference):

it was confirmed to me that the rampant speculation and personal attackes that has been going on in some quarters of fandom has made the acquisition more difficult.

So, if anybody's got anything negative to say about the BBC, Mr. Morris, Mr. Vanezis, the tight lid on secrecy, etc., you're really just shooting us "all in the foot" by popping your mouth off online. We'll find out what we need to know, exactly when we need to know it. Seriously, chill out and celebrate in the knowledge that nine episodes are back safely. Just think, nine episodes coming back in 2013 is more episodes than have come back in the last decade or so (eight episodes, I think).
So ... just thinking out loud here ... is Web of Fear #3 (or whichever one) actually still missing, or is it being held back out of spite? Or as retaliation against the personal attacks?

If so ... geez! I want to buy whoever found these episodes a beer, not kick them!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Ianotimelord
Ianotimelord

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 1:55 pm

OOOOO that article on the Northern Echo has been removed! SPOILERS!!!
Back to top Go down
Brigadier

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 2:07 pm

jaredofmo wrote:
You can't trust the fans?

Excuse me, but WHO JUNKED THESE EPISODES IN THE FIRST PLACE?
My point exactly. Sometimes the rights holders are not necessarily the best people to have stewardship of their own stuff.
Back to top Go down
Indiana_Brian

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Lost episode's discovered?  - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 2:15 pm

Ianotimelord wrote:
OOOOO that article on the Northern Echo has been removed! SPOILERS!!!
Someone saved a picture of it on Twitter. Google "northern echo doctor who article".

Back to top Go down

Lost episode's discovered?
Page 9 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next