mysterylad
Rust
guvnagrover
Scary
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Rate S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten
Fantastic!
S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_lcap17%S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 17% [ 5 ]
Good
S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_lcap34%S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 34% [ 10 ]
Okay...
S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_lcap34%S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 34% [ 10 ]
Bad
S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_lcap7%S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 7% [ 2 ]
Awful!
S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_lcap7%S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 7% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 29

AuthorMessage
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 1:05 pm

D84 wrote:
Gallifreys Loss wrote:
The new episodes, so far, are making me feel incredibly dumb. I watch the episode, then I watch it again when the encore rolls around a few hours later, but I still am left with a feeling that I'm missing something. Like all this stuff happens and The Doctor says some brilliant things, but I don't really feel as though I just watched a story from beginning to end. Rather it feels like I've watched a really long trailer for what could be an amazing episode.

I dunno...I can't explain it. The Angels Take Manhattan was sort of the same for me. I just felt like there was a large chunk missing and that I missed some stuff.

Maybe it's just the pacing of the episodes.

The problem is not you, it's the writing. Since Moffet doesn't want to do two part stories anymore, they leave large plot holes and quick answers that in most cases don't make sense. It seems more like Doctor Who has become the Michael Bay movie of the week. Nice effects, but if you think about it, the story will leave you shaking your head.

For example this week, the Doctor's thousand years wasn't enough to feed the monster, but the possiblities from a leaf from a dead mother could. And if that were the case, what about the child being sacrificed? Wouldn't everything that child could become kill it?

Only good bay film was the rock, and that was it, it was the only one that had stuff to think about in it, but that's the only one.

Doctor Who, like Star Trek, is becoming just like these, now.
Back to top Go down
CompanionGallifrey42211
CompanionGallifrey42211

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2013-04-07

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 10:10 pm

This episode made me think a lot. I had to put my mind into it and press the rewind button just a few times on certain parts to fully comprehend what was happening. Not to be rude but I've got a question, I'm a little lost. Earlier when I watched it the first time around, I met the girl named Mary, right? Okay. My question now is, how would've Clara known who Mary was? Am I missing something?...I feel like I am missing something too! Question Sad
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 11:18 pm

So I finally got around to watching this episode.

I voted "Okay". The thing with this story is it wasn't the plot that I found engrossing - it was the setting and atmosphere. It has been far, far too long since we got a 100% alien adventure and the work that went into the culture and backstory were extremely welcome even if their whole civilization consisted of repurposed Pompeii sets and narrow hallways.

The setting alone can only carry an episode so far, however and this story just feels done to death in NuWho. Wasn't thrilled to see a return of the "Lonely God" nor was I amused with how 11 is turning into a pretty creepy stalker of children at this point. Seriously, it's okay for the Doctor not to have been involved with the companion since prior to their conception. It was cute with Amy...now it's getting creepy.

Bonus points for reviving at least an inkling of Carmell's Master Plan in regards to the Doctor having access to "forbidden knowledge" and "secrets that must not be shared". If this is the last of the Time Lords, it stands to reason he'd have some of that.

Clara coming in and saving the day didn't bother me much, since the build up to it was decent if predictable. The Songs I enjoyed, all things considered.

What I didn't enjoy, and what ultimately ended up giving this just a "okay" rating, was the Sonic Screwdriver. It really is a farce to call this thing a Screwdriver really - it's a Magic Wand. After being notably toned down since Smith took on the role (or at least just relegated to Tricorder work), this episode was just far, far too much of it in increasingly silly ways.

I really wish we could get a Producer Mandate that the Screwdriver is Off Limits for a season or two. Make the writers think a bit when it comes to conflicts that can't be solved with a Spell of Containment.
Back to top Go down
CompanionGallifrey42211
CompanionGallifrey42211

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2013-04-07

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 11:45 pm

Rust wrote:

What I didn't enjoy, and what ultimately ended up giving this just a "okay" rating, was the Sonic Screwdriver. It really is a farce to call this thing a Screwdriver really - it's a Magic Wand. After being notably toned down since Smith took on the role (or at least just relegated to Tricorder work), this episode was just far, far too much of it in increasingly silly ways.

I really wish we could get a Producer Mandate that the Screwdriver is Off Limits for a season or two. Make the writers think a bit when it comes to conflicts that can't be solved with a Spell of Containment.

I couldn't agree more with you, I didn't think of any of this until you said something. Maybe Whovians should start a petition or make a note to Moffat.....Anyone got any suggestions? The screwdriver either needs to take a break or needs to be updated where the Doctor finds out that one day while he's fixing it, the Screwdriver has other powers in it that he never knew about... (something or other....)
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 6:58 am

Watching a video review of this, the reviewer made a good point.

When the Doctor comments "I have walked in Universes where the laws of physics were devised by a madman..."

...he's talking about Omega.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 8:18 am

Rust wrote:
Watching a video review of this, the reviewer made a good point.

When the Doctor comments "I have walked in Universes where the laws of physics were devised by a madman..."

...he's talking about Omega.

That was what I assumed when I heard that. Nice call back in another anniversary year.
Back to top Go down
Caretaker maine
Caretaker maine

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 7:42 pm

when people ask me why I have watched Dr Who for so many years, this show is a classic, it's the best campy scifi show ever, when they went over to the planet in the sled, it reminded me of the old shows
Back to top Go down

S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3