0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 18

AuthorMessage
gregtdj
gregtdj

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-06-19

405: The Poison Sky Empty
PostSubject: 405: The Poison Sky   405: The Poison Sky EmptySat May 03, 2008 6:05 pm

405: The Poison Sky

Please keep in mind that that this episode has already aired in the UK. This thread will probably contain LOTS of spoilers. If you don't want to ruin the fun, you may want to come back once the episode airs on SciFi in a few weeks.
Back to top Go down
AC Rempt
AC Rempt

Number of posts : 830
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: 405: The Poison Sky   405: The Poison Sky EmptySun May 04, 2008 2:42 am

It was pretty good, I thought. Rattigan bugged and seemed to be there only to save the Doctor at the end, and I love how easily the Doctor caught on to the clone.

Donna was also good, and I thought the moment where she had to decide to go out of the Tardis on board the Sontaran ship was spot on. Would you go?

The new Sontaran armor looks silly to me. Make it black, and it might work, and make it a bit more resistant to bullets, and even better.

I did like the moment where the Col. made his speech about humanity. After seeing the old UNIT outclassed by alien after alien, it was nice to see them get the upper hand, and using the Valiant was, to quote the Doctor, brilliant.

There are other nice little touches here and there, and of course, the blink and you'll miss her Rose sighting.

Good fun.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sophiethedog.com
forbidden_moose

Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2007-08-10

PostSubject: Re: 405: The Poison Sky   405: The Poison Sky EmptySun May 04, 2008 7:25 am

I liked it when rattigan died, once he turned good I thought he was safe, he had an awesome death, Rattigan wasn't even a bad guy
Back to top Go down
taliesyn30
taliesyn30

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Review - so spoilers!   405: The Poison Sky EmptySun May 04, 2008 7:26 am

I was a little disappointed with this episode - don't get me wring, I enjoyed it, but it felt like I was watching Doctor Who by numbers.. there were so many missed opportunities to give us startling, original television and they were squandered to give us an average plot, dubious science and lots of dead people! Shame!

My full review is here...

http://www.telewatcher.com/Science-Fiction/Doctor-Who/The-Poison-Sky-Doctor-Who-Series-Four-Episode-Five.118924/1

Tal x
Back to top Go down
DoctorOlly
DoctorOlly

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2007-09-01

PostSubject: Re: 405: The Poison Sky   405: The Poison Sky EmptySun May 04, 2008 7:52 am

I thought the episode was fantastic! I loved the action scenes, finally a battle. I also liked the reference to the Empty Child and the use of the Valiant. Pretty much the only thing that bugged me were Skorr, he didn't look as good as Staal. I liked the referance to Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart. Also loved the glimpse of Rose, but how come Donna didn't recognise her from Partners in Crime? Or did she not see the screen when Rose appeared but only when the Doctor was on? Anyway, looking forward to the next episode! I'll be tuning in to see Jenny (Doctor's daughter!), it'll be good to see her on screen.
Back to top Go down
Ross_Jenkins
Ross_Jenkins

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: 405: The Poison Sky   405: The Poison Sky EmptySun May 04, 2008 10:08 am

This episode was very upsetting.Why did Ross have to die? He was such a great character ( my favourite in Dr Who ) and was nice.I hope that they can find some way to bring him back or he wasn't dead but was just injured. The episode was alright but Ross' death just ruined it for me. I really liked Sylvia smashing the car window with an axe though! I also quite liked Marion Price - she seems like she has the potential to be a good recurring character. I thought that about Ross though .... Sad
Back to top Go down
AC Rempt
AC Rempt

PostSubject: Re: 405: The Poison Sky   405: The Poison Sky EmptySun May 04, 2008 2:33 pm

DoctorOlly wrote:
I'll be tuning in to see Jenny (Doctor's daughter!), it'll be good to see her on screen.

Where is she from? The NA books?
Back to top Go down
gregtdj
gregtdj

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-06-19

PostSubject: Re: 405: The Poison Sky   405: The Poison Sky EmptySun May 04, 2008 8:56 pm

Best Line this season...one from the first season...
Spoiler:
I laughed so hard my wife thought I'd gone around the bend, of course that's probably because I was watching with my headset on and mostly silence in the house at the time. The Doctor coming through at the nick of time, again. Some may not like that, but given the first few eps, seemed like it was well placed in this season's line up. Time will tell overall. I Like the range and depth of emotion we keep seeing from Donna. Viewed in whole, this was a decent two parter. Maybe not Human Nature/Family of Blood quality, but still decent.

Last bit of thought may be more spoiler than some want, if so don't click...
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: 405: The Poison Sky   405: The Poison Sky EmptyMon May 05, 2008 6:27 am

i agree
Back to top Go down
Ruth
Ruth

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: 405: The Poison Sky   405: The Poison Sky EmptyTue May 06, 2008 3:49 pm

gregtdj wrote:
Best Line this season...one from the first season...
Spoiler:

I nearly fell off the couch, I was laughing so hard at that. Great moment. I really enjoyed this episode.
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: 405: The Poison Sky   405: The Poison Sky EmptyThu May 08, 2008 10:37 pm

Helen did a much better job with this one...I try to forget evolution of the daleks. Happy to see Martha back- it is so nice to see a travel weary Martha contrasted to the newbie Donna. Love how she warns her about the doc...

As for the Sotarans...maybe it's me...did not seem to really scare me like they did in the sontaran experiment. The chant was a little too on the left side of campy but no bother. Still uber glad they have returned. Did anyone catch the ATMOS logo on the cab that was supposed to pick up that poor girl Donna was interviewing in the Partners in Crime? Those little clues here and there... a quick shot of the hand/ and a blond. As for Tennant loved his channeling of Pertwee cockiness to the poor Unit fella...ah pure Doctor!

Now the preview for the Doctor's daughter....ahhhh is it saturday yet?
Back to top Go down
AC Rempt
AC Rempt

PostSubject: Re: 405: The Poison Sky   405: The Poison Sky EmptyFri May 09, 2008 2:05 am

I liked the Pertwee attitude, too, and the no guns. Little touches like those make it really seem we're dealing with the same man, no matter how he looks.
Back to top Go down
DoctorOlly
DoctorOlly

PostSubject: Re: 405: The Poison Sky   405: The Poison Sky EmptyFri May 09, 2008 3:34 pm

greenk9 wrote:
Did anyone catch the ATMOS logo on the cab that was supposed to pick up that poor girl Donna was interviewing in the Partners in Crime? Those little clues here and there... a quick shot of the hand

Yeah, I picked up the logo. And I take it by the Hand you mean the hand who picked up the Master's ring?

Quote :
Now the preview for the Doctor's daughter....ahhhh is it saturday yet?

Nearly!
Back to top Go down
memnoch
memnoch

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: 405: The Poison Sky   405: The Poison Sky EmptySun May 25, 2008 2:10 am

DoctorOlly wrote:
I liked the referance to Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart. Also loved the glimpse of Rose, but how come Donna didn't recognise her from Partners in Crime? Or did she not see the screen when Rose appeared but only when the Doctor was on?

Donna only saw Rose for a few seconds, she didn't really have a reason to remember her, did she? I think more than anything, it's a throwout for the watchers, if it isn't acknowledged by the characters. I don't remember every person I briefly run into on the street. Just a thought though...
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

PostSubject: Re: 405: The Poison Sky   405: The Poison Sky EmptySat May 31, 2008 12:48 am

Ah just watched this again tonight on sciffy. Noticed the bubbling hand again- red herring? Glad that there were no pigs and show girls in the Poison Sky. Raynor did a better turn than last years' Dalek extravaganza. Also really loved the relationship with Donna and her grandfather. Donna has turned out to be a great foil for ten.

I am so looking forward to Moffat's episode...gotta turn the lights out and grab the popcorn.
Hopefully I will have a nice sleepless night after this episode...
scaring kids is such a healthy thing...bring it on Moffat.
Back to top Go down
DoctorOlly
DoctorOlly

PostSubject: Re: 405: The Poison Sky   405: The Poison Sky EmptySat May 31, 2008 5:17 am

greenk9 wrote:
I am so looking forward to Moffat's episode...gotta turn the lights out and grab the popcorn.
Hopefully I will have a nice sleepless night after this episode...
scaring kids is such a healthy thing...bring it on Moffat.

Bring on Moffat! I'm looking forward to it, one of my pets died this morning and I was really upset. And, as greenk9 said, I hope I can't sleep after the episode.
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

PostSubject: Re: 405: The Poison Sky   405: The Poison Sky EmptySun Jun 01, 2008 11:43 am

olly- sorry to hear about the death of your pet.
Back to top Go down

405: The Poison Sky
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: