mysterylad
Rust
guvnagrover
Scary
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Rate S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten
Fantastic!
S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_lcap17%S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 17% [ 5 ]
Good
S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_lcap34%S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 34% [ 10 ]
Okay...
S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_lcap34%S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 34% [ 10 ]
Bad
S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 7% [ 2 ]
Awful!
S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 7% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 29

AuthorMessage
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792
Registration date : 2007-02-01

S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 9:29 am

Did anyone catch the 1st Doctor impersonation Matt Smith did? It was all of maybe 2 lines but Matt delivered it superbly!

Jany
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 11:39 am

Tough I ranked it "okay" I have to agree with Wes Crayon and rust about the conclusion. I even turned to my son and asked, "So, she just destroyed the sun, doesn't that mean she just destroyed the entire system?" The heat and light source aside, there now is no gravitation source to stop the seven worlds from floating off into space.

I was also bothered by the seven worlds themselves... they were not planets (as the Doctor called them), or even planetoids. It was an asteroid field. This bothers me only a little, on the same level of the Blake's 7 writers not knowing the difference between a solar system and a galaxy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Just Scott
Just Scott

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 11:53 am

2 weeks running & I voted awful.

There may have to be another poll option - awful just does not seem to cover my feelings for the past 2 episodes. It's now seems to be a total lampoon of a once great show! Musical numbers now???

FRAKKIN AWFUL!!
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 12:01 pm

Just Scott wrote:

There may have to be another poll option - awful just does not seem to cover my feelings for the past 2 episodes. It's now seems to be a total lampoon of a once great show! Musical numbers now???

FRAKKIN AWFUL!!

And they weren't even that great musical numbers either.
Back to top Go down
D84
D84

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 1:11 pm

Cruel Angel wrote:
Just Scott wrote:

FRAKKIN AWFUL!!

And they weren't even that great musical numbers either.

I think the worst part was that melodramatic monologue about everything he's seen with the singing in the background. Besides being goofy, the side shots had the Doctor with tears running down his face, but they were gone for the front view. It felt almost like a parody of musicals.

Overall, it was an okay, filler episode. I've seen worse, but it's not one I'll likely watch again.
Back to top Go down
guvnagrover
guvnagrover

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2012-05-06

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 3:20 pm

I voted okay...the musical bits made me roll my eyes.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to the next episode.

Back to top Go down
Krynoid
Krynoid

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 4:30 pm

I gotta kick out of the Blade Runner references.
Back to top Go down
Shatterbang
Shatterbang

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 11:55 pm

It was OK.

Clara is Susan Foreman, I think.
Back to top Go down
http://emerdelac.wordpress.com
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 12:50 am

Who North America wrote:
Did anyone catch the 1st Doctor impersonation Matt Smith did? It was all of maybe 2 lines but Matt delivered it superbly!

Jany

What were they?
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 3:40 pm

good normal episode, im sorry, but I love clara! the bit with the leaf, classic.
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2485
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 12:51 pm

It was the feel good episode of the year.

I don't like "feel good" episodes all that much, but it was okay and polled that way. I'm not sure if any feel good episode will ever be a 10/10 classic for me, but I suppose every episode cannot be a thrilling, edge of your seat, funfest.

I'd still rather watch "Robots of Death".
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 2:22 pm

squishy wrote:
It was the feel good episode of the year.

I don't like "feel good" episodes all that much, but it was okay and polled that way. I'm not sure if any feel good episode will ever be a 10/10 classic for me, but I suppose every episode cannot be a thrilling, edge of your seat, funfest.

I'd still rather watch "Robots of Death".

I also would still rather pop in a Classic Who DVD than watch NewWho.... but I do enjoy NewWho when it understands and takes advantage of its roots!
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 8:35 pm

S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Dw_photo_s7e7_web-11

"FLASH!!!! AHHH-AHHHHHHHH!!! SAVIOR OF THE UNIVERSE!!!!!!!!!"

Laughing

Back to top Go down
D84
D84

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 9:36 pm

SeaDevil wrote:
S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Dw_photo_s7e7_web-11

"FLASH!!!! AHHH-AHHHHHHHH!!! SAVIOR OF THE UNIVERSE!!!!!!!!!"

Laughing

I was singing that during those shots.
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 10:40 pm

I voted awful- delta and the bannermen was loads better- heck even the horns of nimon

1. Great monsters... but a waste really- used as background clutter
2. Felt like a retread of the beast below- let's show how great the new companion is
3. Did I miss the plot? It felt like a bad unstructured hollywood move-
all flash, atmosphere, good direction but if you have no story- all the visual candy in the world cannot save this episode.

I am looking forward to the ice warriors... maybe I'm just grumpy...but boy that episode was bad bad bad.
Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

Number of posts : 1274
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 2:38 am

After a second viewing, I like this episode better. The Vigil were cool creatures, but were underused criminally. Good world building though. The part with the psychic imprinted mementos used as money was cool too. Seemed like all the Doctor's lines in this one were composed of catch phrases and cool sound bytes. Stalking Clara through time is kind of creepy too.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 1:38 pm

I enjoyed it so much I watched it a 3rd time.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 2:23 pm

I liked it better the second time, too. scratch
Back to top Go down
Krynoid
Krynoid

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 4:29 pm

This was episode 7 not 8. I assume you're counting The Snowmen as episode 6.
Very confusing.

01 Asylum of the Daleks
02 Dinosaurs on a Spaceship
03 A Town Called Mercy
04 The Power of Three
05 The Angels Take Manhattan

06 The Bells of Saint John
07 The Rings of Akhaten
08 Cold War
09 Hide
10 Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS
11 The Crimson Horror
12 Nightmare in Silver
13 Season 7, Episode 13
Back to top Go down
Gallifreys Loss
Gallifreys Loss

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2012-07-23

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 10:13 am

The new episodes, so far, are making me feel incredibly dumb. I watch the episode, then I watch it again when the encore rolls around a few hours later, but I still am left with a feeling that I'm missing something. Like all this stuff happens and The Doctor says some brilliant things, but I don't really feel as though I just watched a story from beginning to end. Rather it feels like I've watched a really long trailer for what could be an amazing episode.

I dunno...I can't explain it. The Angels Take Manhattan was sort of the same for me. I just felt like there was a large chunk missing and that I missed some stuff.

Maybe it's just the pacing of the episodes.
Back to top Go down
D84
D84

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 12:03 pm

Gallifreys Loss wrote:
The new episodes, so far, are making me feel incredibly dumb. I watch the episode, then I watch it again when the encore rolls around a few hours later, but I still am left with a feeling that I'm missing something. Like all this stuff happens and The Doctor says some brilliant things, but I don't really feel as though I just watched a story from beginning to end. Rather it feels like I've watched a really long trailer for what could be an amazing episode.

I dunno...I can't explain it. The Angels Take Manhattan was sort of the same for me. I just felt like there was a large chunk missing and that I missed some stuff.

Maybe it's just the pacing of the episodes.

The problem is not you, it's the writing. Since Moffet doesn't want to do two part stories anymore, they leave large plot holes and quick answers that in most cases don't make sense. It seems more like Doctor Who has become the Michael Bay movie of the week. Nice effects, but if you think about it, the story will leave you shaking your head.

For example this week, the Doctor's thousand years wasn't enough to feed the monster, but the possiblities from a leaf from a dead mother could. And if that were the case, what about the child being sacrificed? Wouldn't everything that child could become kill it?
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 12:47 pm

I guess it was the fact that the possibilities had been revealed that killed it. This episode had some great music and monologues, but the story was really underwhelming.
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2485
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 6:05 pm

Krynoid wrote:
This was episode 7 not 8. I assume you're counting The Snowmen as episode 6.
Very confusing.

01 Asylum of the Daleks
02 Dinosaurs on a Spaceship
03 A Town Called Mercy
04 The Power of Three
05 The Angels Take Manhattan

06 The Bells of Saint John
07 The Rings of Akhaten
08 Cold War
09 Hide
10 Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS
11 The Crimson Horror
12 Nightmare in Silver
13 Season 7, Episode 13

Scary is correct. "The Snowmen" counts as episode 6 and "Rings" is episode 8.
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 9:50 am

Yup. The BBC commissioned 14 episodes for series 7 and that included the Christmas special.
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
CompanionGallifrey42211
CompanionGallifrey42211

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2013-04-07

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 12:05 pm

just got a hold of watching the rings of Akhaten.....I like it so far....musical numbers? not so much looking toward to.
I don't know, I actually really liked this episode, the musical number worked in very well where they put it. It (for me) was very moving and was perfect for the moment they were in. I am not sure if I am missing something but how would Clara have known Mary? The little girl that had to sing the song? Anyone want to help me elaborate? I feel like I missed something and pressing the rewind button is not helping me.
Sad

Last edited by CompanionGallifrey42211 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next