18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

Number of posts : 1274
Registration date : 2007-09-09

Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 8 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 5:55 pm

I see SeaDevil's point tho. It didn't have an individual, specific villain like Khan or Chang. There was no villain to defeat. It was however, a cautionary tale, and somewhat more lighthearted than some in the series.
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 8 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 10:14 pm

mattmanw54301 wrote:
I see SeaDevil's point tho. It didn't have an individual, specific villain like Khan or Chang. There was no villain to defeat. It was however, a cautionary tale, and somewhat more lighthearted than some in the series.

Plus it shown that humanity can be much more dangerous to itself than any bad guy with speedbumps on their faces.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 8 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 10:55 pm

Not really. Humanity got along fine without the Humpbacks until Mr. "Destroy the Ecosystem to talk to Whales" Probe showed up.

Seriously, what was up with that thing? Draining power from electronics and what not I can understand, but it was literally vaporizing the ecosystem of the species it was trying to talk to.
Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 8 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 10:58 pm

Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 8 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 10:58 pm

Rust wrote:
Not really. Humanity got along fine without the Humpbacks until Mr. "Destroy the Ecosystem to talk to Whales" Probe showed up.

Seriously, what was up with that thing? Draining power from electronics and what not I can understand, but it was literally vaporizing the ecosystem of the species it was trying to talk to.

https://whona.forumotion.com/t8217p50-general-star-trek-thread#175132
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 8 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 12:53 am

The Castellan wrote:
Plus it shown that humanity can be much more dangerous to itself than any bad guy with speedbumps on their faces.

Gotta admit, that caused a good little burst of laughter from me. One thing that has bugged me about Trek since the 80s.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
The Castellan
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 8 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 2:39 am

Rust wrote:

Well, man hunted the humpbacks until extinction, the probe was probably wondering what the heck happened, that's why it was probably sent in the first place. Maybe even vengeful, going, "You destroyed them, I'll destroy you!" Sorta like V'ger attacking things that did not respond to its messages, I mean air forces threaten to shoot down anything that does not respond to their messages today. Mankind of the 23rd century were fine, it was the numbskull 20th century humans that caused the trouble.
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 8 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 2:43 am

Calixar wrote:
The Castellan wrote:

Gotta admit, that caused a good little burst of laughter from me. One thing that has bugged me about Trek since the 80s.

Cheapness and laziness, I think.

Who wants to bet that is how aliens in JJ Trek's gonna be, too. I've seen an unused Gorn from that first film, and it looked horrible, just some guy with leathery skin, scales and a few fangs, nothing even remotely looking like a Gorn.....and no way could that boring as the grass growing Nero have caused that, storywise. Razz

We must lose the speedbump face creatures for a change. Basketball
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2207
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 8 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 5:01 am

The Gorn redesign wasn't as iconic as the original, but it looked better than what described: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091118221258/memoryalpha/en/images/b/b2/Barney_Burman's_Gorn.jpg
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
The Castellan
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 8 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 8:09 am

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
The Gorn redesign wasn't as iconic as the original, but it looked better than what described: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091118221258/memoryalpha/en/images/b/b2/Barney_Burman's_Gorn.jpg

That thing's horrible. And what explanation could be used for that monstrosity? I doubt Spock and Nero's meddling could cause that.

Looks like a smegging Warcraft goblin.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 8 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 9:34 am

Back to the villain in this movie...

I have the utmost faith that, given Benedict Cumberbatch's talent, this could be a pretty good baddie.

He oozes charisma.
Back to top Go down
masterkhan
masterkhan

Number of posts : 631
Registration date : 2011-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 8 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 3:04 pm

Having just looked at the trailer i noticed the Enterprise does a total smackdown and there's another clip where the ship seems to be rising from the sea. I liked that bit but does anybody know what that's about? (I haven't been trekkin about this film coz i'm into the first four films, totally love every second of 'The Motion Picture'.)
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 8 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 4:00 pm

From what I have heard - so take this with a grain of salt:

The Enterprise is submerged on a M Class Planet with the crew around the planet, studying the planet's inhabitants and culture. Presumably, this would explain the brief shots we've had of Kirk in a grey, more militaristic uniform.

As for why the Enterprise is on the planet and submerged in the sea rather then in orbit...unknown. But my guess is the planet is much like ours presently - plenty of stuff that can detect something in orbit, not so much stuff to detect something hiding out in a body of water.

Given the narration on the latest teaser - plus what I've heard of the 9 minute sneak peek in front of The Hobbit - it seems Cumberbatch's character and Kirk both chaff a bit in regards to the Prime Directive forcing them to remain spectators on the world when they and their technology could do so much good. This results in something going spectacularly wrong, which ends up with the dynamic in the film with Kirk on one side and Cumberbatch on the other.

By reports, Cumberbatch's character is seen trying to save an ailing child's life. Which may explain his line in the trailer: "Is there anything you would not do...for your family?"

My own personal speculation? Cumberbatch "went native" on the planet they were surveying, and Kirk's brashness causes a massive ecological disaster on the world - possibly even a global war. This world will end up the "War Torn World" from the initial synopsis. Kirk and company escape, but many of the crew are dead - including, presumably, Cumberbatch.

Fast forward a few months/years, and Cumberbatch's character returns (presumably with augmentation) to extract revenge on Kirk for what he did.

I think all those shots we presumed were on Earth actually aren't.
Back to top Go down
masterkhan
masterkhan

Number of posts : 631
Registration date : 2011-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 8 EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 2:08 pm

Thanks, Rust. I think you're right, sounds realistic to what we'll see.
Back to top Go down
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 8 EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 1:49 pm

Saw the preview before The Hobbit; looks interesting (and fun).
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 8 EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 8:42 pm

We didn't get the ST preview with The Hobbit here. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 8 EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 10:34 pm

Calixar wrote:
We didn't get the ST preview with The Hobbit here. Sad

It had to be the IMAX 3D version,I have discovered.
Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 8 EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 10:46 pm

There was a 9-minute preview on some IMAX 3d releases. However, I read that there was supposed to be a 2.5 minute preview for regular releases.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 8 EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 10:48 pm

mattmanw54301 wrote:
There was a 9-minute preview on some IMAX 3d releases. However, I read that there was supposed to be a 2.5 minute preview for regular releases.

The regular version at my theater had a short trailer. But the 3D HFR had nothing. And yes,I have seen the Hobbit 4 times and 3 different ways.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 8 EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 10:34 am

Yup, the IMAX showings had the ST footage. They had that, Man of Steel, and Oz.

Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 8 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 10:42 pm

Anyone else excited about the video game? It seems like they are really going to try to make this better than your typical fair.

http://news.yahoo.com/preview--new-%E2%80%98star-trek%E2%80%99-game-serves-as-official-bridge-between-films-035914361.html?_sr=1

I've got mine pre-ordered.
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 8 EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 10:27 pm

Into Darkness toys revealed. It's all Kre-O:

http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-hasbros-star-trek-toys-revealed

http://enterprisingyoungman.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/more-from-hasbro.html
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 8 EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 11:11 pm

I assume these are Lego compatible? That Enterprise will be expensive.
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 8 EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 5:39 am

Yeah, they are Lego compatible. The Enterprise is pricey (though that's the MSRP... hopefully people will be offering it for less) but pretty comparable with Lego prices.
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 8 EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 6:19 am

Now if they only made TOS and TNG sets.
Back to top Go down

Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion
Page 8 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next