22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

General Star Trek thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 11:48 pm

Whoosier Whovian wrote:
These are destined for either goodwill or a paper shredder. I have some posters and as I am not going to put them on the walls before I dispose of them I thought I would show them off.

General Star Trek thread - Page 3 Img_5710

I will take them! I had them all but they have been lost. I had the Cheerios one in a frame that got lost when I moved in 1988!
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 11:03 pm

My Round 2 1/350th scale USS Enterprise has shipped and is on the way to me. Dug out the electronics I got for the NCC-1701 years ago so I can get it wired up. I can't wait to get into this model!!
Back to top Go down
Ted47
Ted47

Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2012-02-02

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 10:49 am

Make sure you take pictures when you're done.

I just got the 1/350 Enterprise-A. I'm a little behind. LOL
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2207
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 10:54 pm

Apparently a Doctor Who Easter Egg in TNG "The Neutral Zone" has been removed from the Blu-Ray release: http://www.sfx.co.uk/2012/09/28/blog-enhanced-effects-restoration-or-desecration/
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 2:49 am

So, spinning this one out from the Into Darkness thread because I feel it's a worthy topic to discuss:

Starfleet.

What is it?

It's been described as a peaceful coalition dedicated to exploration and diplomacy, and at other times it's a full blown military organization. It utilizes naval ranks, but no form of military ritual such as saluting save for special ceremonies.

Personally speaking, I've always been fond of the Starfleet showcased in the TOS films from Wrath onward. Not only do they look the most professional in terms of uniform, but Starfleet was a definite peacekeeping organization with a definite chain of command (With a continuity in terms of Starfleet Command). Similarly, I feel Enterprise captured this same sense of structure.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 8:57 am

Short answer is it is both. An exploration arm of the Federation as well as the peace keeping forces. As the "peace keeping" sometimes requires combat, Starfleet members are well trained in military tactics. The galaxy is a hostile place. Not everyone wants to run up to you and hug you,some would rather just kill you because you are different. It is sort of like what the real world is. Which is what Roddenberry was always trying to show.

I loved Enterprise and I liked how they had them suddenly start to return to Earth because they were under armed and needed an upgrade to their weapons after they discovered how hostile it was out there. Of course, Trip was able to do the upgrades himself.

And speaking of the name Enterprise, yesterday,the Navy announced at the retirement ceremony of the USS Enterprise CVN-65 that the name will live on with CVN-80, as sometime after 2025,the Navy will get a new USS Enterprise, the 9th such named vessel the US Navy has had. Let history never forget the name Enterprise!
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 11:04 am

Ronpur wrote:
And speaking of the name Enterprise, yesterday,the Navy announced at the retirement ceremony of the USS Enterprise CVN-65 that the name will live on with CVN-80, as sometime after 2025,the Navy will get a new USS Enterprise, the 9th such named vessel the US Navy has had. Let history never forget the name Enterprise!

...and Captain Kirk himself, William Shatner, was on hand for the ceremony! cheers
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 11:28 am

SeaDevil wrote:
Ronpur wrote:

...and Captain Kirk himself, William Shatner, was on hand for the ceremony! cheers

Ha actually cancelled at the last minute........
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 7:06 pm

Cruising through Hunter... good amount of Trek people popping up.

So far have seen Major Kira, Gul Dukat, Tuvok, Worf... Ilia is in the one I'm watching now.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 3:02 am

Here is a change of subject,

What is the weirdest or most peculiar Star Trek item you own?

I'll go first -

Star Trek V marshmallow maker.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 4:25 pm

Whoosier Whovian wrote:
Star Trek V marshmallow maker.

I've got that, too! Very Happy

I have a Deep Space Nine kite. Never flown.
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 4:39 pm

Surely that should be marshmelon? Very Happy

I wanted to get one of those, but never did get one.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 4:42 pm

jonwes wrote:
Surely that should be marshmelon? Very Happy

I wanted to get one of those, but never did get one.

I'm selling mine, it still has the original box
Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

Number of posts : 1274
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 5:13 pm

Somewhere in my attic, I have a 3D chess set.

http://ubernerdnation.com/theblog/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Star-Trek-Chess-Set.jpg

Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 12:20 am

I had a stuffed Glommer toy when I was younger.
Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 7:55 pm

Picked up Book 2 of TNG: The Cold Equations. I can't help but feel a little bit sad at this series. It is most likely the last story for the TNG crew, setting up the future we saw in the Countdown comic. There are themes of things ending all throughout the book. Worf noticing how old and decrepit Data's cat is, Picard reflecting on retirement, etc.

I was a wide-eyed 6 year old when TNG started, and in many ways it will always be my favorite series. Even when Nemesis happened, I was OK, because the voyages would continue, with Picard still on the Enterprise. And there have been some great post-Nemesis stories in novel form.

But this feels different. The finality of it makes for heavy reading. I tend to be a little down this time of year due to the holidays anyway, so this is slow going.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 10:09 pm

I wonder if they'll tie things into Star Trek Online and Picard retires from Starfleet to become the Federation Ambassador to Vulcan.

The in game reasoning is Picard didn't want to go back to his family's vineyard (The deaths of his nephew and brother still raw), and that his mind meld with Sarek had given him appreciation for Vulcan culture. Also to consult Vulcan Priests on a way to draw out his experiences from the probe in The Inner Light in the form of a Katra to be preserved, so the culture would not be forgotten.
Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 11:10 pm

Yes, this is consistent with the Countdown comic. Basically, it is setting up the following changes:

1. Picard retires from Starfleet, and becomes an ambassador to Vulcan.
2. Geordi retires from Starfleet, and builds the 'Jellyfish' ship that Spock flies.
3. Data has returned, and is captain of the Enterprise E.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 11:16 pm

How did Data come back?
Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 11:41 pm

Memories in B-4 surfaced, allowing Data to return.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 11:52 pm

mattmanw54301 wrote:
Memories in B-4 surfaced, allowing Data to return.

It's where it was heading, was curious if they might have done something else.
Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 8:57 pm

So 2013 is going to be an exciting year for Trek bibliophiles like myself. Here's what I am looking forward to.

TOS:
Allegance in Exile
Devil's Bargain
The Weight of Worlds
The Folded World
Shocks of Adversity
From History's Shadow

With the continuity of the Trek universe, sometimes it seems like it just bogs down the narrative. So it is refreshing to me to pick up a TOS novel that takes place during the original 5 year mission, and just enjoy the pure adventure of it. Brings me back to my childhood memories of the show.

TNG I guess will NOT be ending, as there is a new novel called The Stuff of Dreams featuring The Nexus. Not sure when the novel is set though. Also, the Typhon Pact storyline will continue with a 5-book series, encompassing TNG, DS9, and Titan.

The most shocking thing, to me, is a return to Enterprise. Rise of the Federation takes place just after the end of the Romulan War, and features Archer and crew. I am kind of confused. Wasn't the NX Enterprise decomissioned in 2161? The synopsis says that it is a sequel to Enterprise, and takes place after 2161. Will they get a new ship? Surprised they are continuing after the Romulan War books.
Back to top Go down
CGren123
CGren123

Number of posts : 2368
Registration date : 2009-12-23

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 9:21 am

mattmanw54301 wrote:
So 2013 is going to be an exciting year for Trek bibliophiles like myself. Here's what I am looking forward to.

TOS:
Allegance in Exile
Devil's Bargain
The Weight of Worlds
The Folded World
Shocks of Adversity
From History's Shadow

With the continuity of the Trek universe, sometimes it seems like it just bogs down the narrative. So it is refreshing to me to pick up a TOS novel that takes place during the original 5 year mission, and just enjoy the pure adventure of it. Brings me back to my childhood memories of the show.

TNG I guess will NOT be ending, as there is a new novel called The Stuff of Dreams featuring The Nexus. Not sure when the novel is set though. Also, the Typhon Pact storyline will continue with a 5-book series, encompassing TNG, DS9, and Titan.

The most shocking thing, to me, is a return to Enterprise. Rise of the Federation takes place just after the end of the Romulan War, and features Archer and crew. I am kind of confused. Wasn't the NX Enterprise decomissioned in 2161? The synopsis says that it is a sequel to Enterprise, and takes place after 2161. Will they get a new ship? Surprised they are continuing after the Romulan War books.

From what I understand about the Enterprise book, it deals with the crew AFTER the decommissioning of Enterprise, so we're talking about Archer becoming an Admiral, etc...

Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 9:27 am

So it's Enterprise without the Enterprise? Sounds iffy to me. It might be good. I was just kind of let down by the Romulan War books.
Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 10:57 pm

According to the novels, the Whale Probe was sent by super intelligent space whales. However, it was damaged en route by the Borg, and ended up using the signal at WAY TOO MUCH POWER.
Back to top Go down

General Star Trek thread
Page 3 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next