18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 11:39 am

Supposedly it's "Star Trek Into Darkness"
http://trekmovie.com/2012/09/07/exclusive-star-trek-sequel-title-confirmed/

Not loving it. At all..

Last edited by jonwes on Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 12:15 pm

Oh no......
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 1:20 pm

Well, at least it wasn't called Star Trek: LOST or Khanfield.
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 5:12 pm

I am not surprised, since Star Trek's going from all things good, bright and positive, into dark and gloomy.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 7:19 pm

Makes sense, since Cumberbatch is by reports playing Gary Mitchell. With a major motion picture budget to play with, I'd hope Mitchell's descent into madness gives us some Lovecraftian Visual moments.

I like it. It's a nice, evocative title without spoiling anything. Looking forward to this movie and how they do the Kirk/Mitchell friendship in this new timeline. Just sad it took the TOS Reboot to give us a "Q" Movie, but the TNG Movies are barely above SyFy Channel Original quality to begin with so maybe it's for the best.
Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

Number of posts : 1274
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 9:12 pm

Gary Mitchell already appeared in the comic based on this timeline. His story has been dealt with, and it happend much the same way it did in the original show. So unless he was just playing possum when he got shot, and he let them shoot him into space in a giant sunglasses case, and somehow looks like Cumberbach now, then it isn't Gary Mitchell. I think the Mirror Universe would make a better movie any how.
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2207
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 10:14 pm

Starfleet shall bring light to where there was once only darkness!
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 10:16 pm

mattmanw54301 wrote:
Gary Mitchell already appeared in the comic based on this timeline.

You say that as though that would somehow stop them from telling the story differently on the big screen. The Comic is something viewed by a handful of fans. The Movie reaches the masses. If they choose to dismiss the comics, that's hardly the first time a secondary media has been "put down" in favor of a blockbuster push.

But leaving aside the potential of the villain being Gary Mitchell, all I can say is a really well and truly pray it's not Khan. Ricardo Montoban's performance and his interplay with William Shatner is what made Star Trek II a success, not the character himself.
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 10:27 pm

The imdb site has him listed as "Khan (rumored)".
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 10:57 pm

Rust wrote:
mattmanw54301 wrote:
Gary Mitchell already appeared in the comic based on this timeline.

You say that as though that would somehow stop them from telling the story differently on the big screen. The Comic is something viewed by a handful of fans. The Movie reaches the masses. If they choose to dismiss the comics, that's hardly the first time a secondary media has been "put down" in favor of a blockbuster push.

But leaving aside the potential of the villain being Gary Mitchell, all I can say is a really well and truly pray it's not Khan. Ricardo Montoban's performance and his interplay with William Shatner is what made Star Trek II a success, not the character himself.

When they started the comic, they said the purpose was to create a continuation of the first film, and that the stories were all official canon. So that the comic does actually 'count', which usually they don't. Roberto Orci supervised the writing so that they wouldn't overlap with what they wanted to do in the second film.
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2485
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 12:33 pm

It sounds like they're trying hard not to dismiss the comic, but in the grand scheme of things the movie will trump a comic every time.

The New Series Who already ignores stuff from the official BBC novels and Virgin books. The publisher says, "this comic will be different, it will really count" in order to try and boost sales but all will be forgotten in a year.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 1:07 pm

Besides, seeing as how comic books are a dying medium (Much like all printed media, really) it's kind of stupid to deny yourself story potential simply because you did it in a comic book only the most die hard fans have bothered to track down.

It's not like the good old days when every retail chain carried the things.
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 1:21 pm

I'm totally confused. There have been so many Gary Mitchell/Khan denials and confirmations and tooing and froing, I'll wait for an official announcement. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 1:22 pm

Turns out we're all wrong and it turns out to be Harry Mudd.

...wait no. That'd be awesome.
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 3:11 pm

~Reminds himself to simply take a nap that day~ study
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 6:47 pm

It could be a lot worse- Charlie X, Lazarus, Apollo, Gorgon the Friendly Angel...

Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 6:52 pm

Cruel Angel wrote:
It could be a lot worse- Charlie X, Lazarus, Apollo, Gorgon the Friendly Angel...

Maybe he's Trelane!!! affraid
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 12:48 am

I hope he will be someone new and original.....but I doubt it.
Back to top Go down
LastWho
LastWho

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2008-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 12:50 pm

Well, if this one is anything like the first movie, it should be called.

Star Trek, The Empire Strikes Back!
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 8:31 pm

LastWho wrote:
Well, if this one is anything like the first movie, it should be called.

Star Trek, The Empire Strikes Back!

No kidding, I would not be surprised if we see someone getting frozen, or someone loosing a hand, seeing as how JJ, or should I say Jar Jar Abrams, is making Star Trek into Star Wars from the start.....oh, yea, and more lens flares, I bet.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 8:35 pm

It wouldnt be a Abrams movie if it didnt have those dopey lens flares.
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 9:46 pm

Whoosier Whovian wrote:
It wouldnt be a Abrams movie if it didnt have those dopey lens flares.

Well, Jar Jar Abrams is a dope if ever I seen one, I'll give you that.....does not mean he should keep doing it. You also forget another thing he likes doing: Killing off characters, just for the purpose of bringing in new ones.

Oh, yea gods, how I hope we get more guys like Wise, Kubrick, and Scott again, you know real film makers.

One thing is for sure, I'll most likely be popping in Star Trek: The Motion Picture the day Jar Jar's second bowel movement, errrr, "Trek" film comes out, or in the very least a smart episode of TNG, like "Where No One Has Gone Before". Jar Jar's not getting my money. Basketball
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 10:09 pm

Ronpur wrote:
I hope he will be someone new and original.....but I doubt it.

With guys like Jar Jar? You gotta be kidding.
To Hollywood, words like new and original are taboo and dirty....it's not 'hip' and "cool....sorry......kewl" to be new and original, why do you think TV is loaded with stuff like American Idol, the Kardashians, Jersey Shore and Honey Boo Boo?

Why do you think I made new named for networks?

NBC = Nothing But Crap!
ABC = Absolute Bull Crap!
CBS = Clearly Bull Sh*t!
FOX = ...........It's FOX......
USA = Utterly Sucking Ass!

And that's just a handful.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 10:15 pm

The Castellan wrote:
You also forget another thing he likes doing: Killing off characters, just for the purpose of bringing in new ones.

Somehow I doubt Paramount will allow that in Trek's case.

Quote :

One thing is for sure, I'll most likely be popping in Star Trek: The Motion Picture the day Jar Jar's second bowel movement, errrr, "Trek" film comes out, or in the very least a smart episode of TNG, like "Where No One Has Gone Before". Jar Jar's not getting my money. Basketball

I'm in agreement with SF Debris on TMP. It's not a bad film, but the effects get in the way and end up grinding the movie to a screeching halt. It's the Star Wars Prequels equivalent of a Star Trek film.

Also, fun factoid: Encounter at Farpoint has 20% more dialogue in it then Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2207
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 11:00 pm

Possibly "into darkness" means that to make up for the overabundance of lens flares the entire lighting deptartment has been sacked. They haven't been replaced either. The entire sequel will be so dark you might as well be paying to see a radio play.
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/

Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion
Page 1 of 13Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next