36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next
AuthorMessage
jfh1970
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1850
Registration date : 2010-02-13

The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu May 06, 2010 7:15 pm

scarywood wrote:
http://www.imperialshipyards.net/nytf/images/hp19.jpg[/url]

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/nytf/images/hp20.jpg

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/nytf/images/hp21.jpg

Links aren't working. Sad
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 2 EmptyFri May 07, 2010 11:05 am

jfh1970 wrote:
scarywood wrote:
http://www.imperialshipyards.net/nytf/images/hp19.jpg[/url]

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/nytf/images/hp20.jpg

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/nytf/images/hp21.jpg

Links aren't working. Sad

Ah man! I'll have another go later on, when my computer is working!
Back to top Go down
jfh1970
jfh1970

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 2 EmptyFri May 07, 2010 1:13 pm

It's okay I managed to get a look at them. They did something like this before with the figures like around five years ago.
Back to top Go down
Invisible Supreme
Invisible Supreme

Number of posts : 2167
Registration date : 2010-03-16

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 2 EmptySat May 08, 2010 10:30 am

couldn't get a look, the link won't work.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 2 EmptySat May 08, 2010 12:33 pm

so since someone else mentioned it, i think i should take a star wars survey. who thinks that the legacy of star wars should belong in the fans hands, instead of george lucas? imo, the fans made the first 3 movies successfull. the fans bought all the merchandise. the fans supported lucas for years, and yet he does nothing to pay us back. as far as i'm concerned, lucas is darth vader, shaping the legacy of star wars into what HE wants, instead of what the majority of the fans want. i know i may be ranting here, but i think any franchise(star trek, stargate, etc), should cater to the fans, not the ego-maniacal director/writer, because he wants to go back and add visual effects that he couldn't afford the first time. we loved it the first time, you don't need to add anything. south park actually did a very funny episode sort of concerning this. just my random thoughts.
Back to top Go down
jfh1970
jfh1970

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 2 EmptySat May 08, 2010 3:22 pm

I would like to see a new trilogy that takes place after ROTJ.
Back to top Go down
LakeErieMonster
LakeErieMonster

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2007-02-05

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 2 EmptySat May 08, 2010 5:38 pm

realistically he was stuck. A lot of fans wanted MORE starwars so he gave in and did it. Much like new Who. Not everyone will be satified. Damned if you do damned if you don't. Also unfortunately in today's day and age it's all about the $$$. I don't think the new Trek was rebooted and released for the fans specifically, it was done to make money. Sad but true.
Back to top Go down
amagon
amagon

Number of posts : 2763
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 2 EmptySat May 08, 2010 5:44 pm

jfh1970 wrote:
I would like to see a new trilogy that takes place after ROTJ.

Always rumours to that, but with the actors getting older, they screwed that up. The Heir to the Empire stories that came out before was a nice trilogy. But, with the stories before and after (though that was also a rumour about Knights of the Republic, Sith Wars), and at the very, VERY end of The Star Wars saga itself...

Spoiler:

affraid
Back to top Go down
amagon
amagon

Number of posts : 2763
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 2 EmptySat May 08, 2010 5:53 pm

Not sure if it's a spoiler, as I saw the info on one SW page, and the picture on another forum, but, there will be a K-Mart exclusive of...

JODO KAST!!!

No stupid squeeze legs, removable helmet, vast improvement, and as I was leary about getting doubles again (of The Vintage Line only), I WILL get 2 of him.

With all the extras from POTF up to Episode 3, I have extra figures from my friend (should have just let him buy them, and saved my money, but...), so I have TONS of stuff, passed on some, got the TF ships (since The Action Fleet and die-cast ships were cancelled), and so on.

I made the mistake years ago (yes, I'll say it) traded my SW toys to a dealer, got less than half of what they're worth, and got all the Target books! When I (eventually) unpack everything, loads of SW and virtually all The DW Target books will be sold off.

I did create a nice Vader, Imperials, Hoth, and C-3PO/R2-D2 displays a couple of years ago. Someday again.
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 2 EmptySun May 09, 2010 12:48 am

Considering that shortly after Empire came out I knew how Anakin came to be Darth Vader... and it happened in Revenge of the Sith exactly the way I heard it then... I think Lucas really did stick to his plan for episodes 1-3 that he already had way back then.
The fans made them successful by buying tickets and merchandise? Why did they buy it? Could it be because the films were good?
If you think the Star Wars universe belongs to you as a consumer, then make and market your own Star Wars films and see how far you get in the courts when Lucasfilm sues you.
I don't intend that to be mean... and I agree that the overall end-product of the second trilogy was sub-par... but the whole darn thing is Lucas' baby. He wrote the rough draft of it... all six episodes (actually nine) back in the early/mid 70's. He can do whatever he wants with it.
I hated Jar Jar... but it's what he wanted to put in, I'm free to not like it. The closest I'll go to supporting THAT decision is the Goofy as Jar Jar Binks action figure I got at DisneyWorld.
Hayden what'sisname as Anakin was no more a whiny punk than Mark Hamil as Luke was in the original film (and he was one).
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Colbster
Colbster

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2008-02-02

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 2 EmptySun May 09, 2010 9:49 am

I have pre-ordered a few of the new vintage line. New vintage? is that even a thing? Anyway, I also pre-ordered some of the new Saga Legends series. I don't have the cash or space to get them all, so I am going to be selective about it. I will get the Bounty hunters and creatures/aliens for sure.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/CMB76
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 2 EmptySun May 09, 2010 1:06 pm

[quote="Calixar"]The fans made them successful by buying tickets and merchandise? Why did they buy it? Could it be because the films were good?
quote]

maybe the original (1-3) were good, because lucas had editors, producers, and monetary restraints. imagine if jar jar binks had been in the first 3? do you think they would have been as successfull then? my point is, i think everyone gives lucas credit for being such a genius, when a whole series of events shaped the first movie. the lack of special effects(mostly using models), new actors, editing(i don't need a 12 minute music scene in return of the jedi), made the first 3 movies successfull.

you may just think i'm a whiny fanboy, but i have a right to my opinion. i brought this up in another thread regarding tim burton. when he was restrained, edited, we got great films in the beginning. now that he's given free reign, and unlimited money, we get things like alice in wonderland(which i dont' think will be remembered as fondly as edward scissorhands).

i'm not trying to say george lucas isn't good, but when you look at his early body of work(when there wasn't cg, big money, free reign to put in whatever he wanted), compared to all his recent work, i just don't even think it's a contest. you can call me an old fogey, or a crudmudgeon, but i think the older ones will always be remembered for a reason(all the events that shaped them), while the newer ones will be forgotten in time. just my rants and raves. i know i'm the black sheep here, but it won't stop me from voicing my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Colbster
Colbster

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2008-02-02

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 2 EmptySun May 09, 2010 5:14 pm

Have any of you seen the red letter media Star Wars episode 1 and 2 reviews on YouTube? If you are not a fan, you will enjoy them. They do contain adult language, so you have been warned. They bring up a lot of interesting and accurate points.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/CMB76
LakeErieMonster
LakeErieMonster

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 2 EmptySun May 09, 2010 7:20 pm

With a quick jarjar comment. Would anyone have liked him better if he were not CGI and rather the old school actor in costume? I hear that the next planet of the apes is going with CGI apes which will either work or be awful.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 2 EmptySun May 09, 2010 7:28 pm

LakeErieMonster wrote:
With a quick jarjar comment. Would anyone have liked him better if he were not CGI and rather the old school actor in costume? I hear that the next planet of the apes is going with CGI apes which will either work or be awful.

Actually, for me, I enjoyed him as a CGI character, and NOT an actor in a suit. It was his stupid voice and idiotic actions I didn't like. The Phantom re-edit made him almost Jedi-like by cutting his clumsiness and replacing his voice with an alien language with subtitles. And he worked much better, in my opinion.
But, after Episodes 2 and 3, and less of Jar-Jar in those, I missed him. Especially since he was tricked into putting the Chancellor into power. I had always hoped, that as an ultimate tragic moment, Anakin would kill his childhood friend after his turn to the dark side.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 2 EmptySun May 09, 2010 9:45 pm

yeah, i always hoped jar jar would get killed, but it wouldn't have been tragic to me. as far as him getting tricked, that's like saying a cheese sandwich couldn't out-think monica loewinski.
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1660
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 2 EmptySun May 09, 2010 10:01 pm

Every creative person has his peak years and his weak years. I think what happened with the prequel trilogy is that Lucas had the luxury of being as hands-on as he wanted to be, without the input of the other visions and voices that made the classic trilogy work.

That said, at the same time, I have to acknowledge that my KIDS love the prequel trilogy, and they were the target audience. I reject the idea that the audience ever owns that which an artist creates, and I always have; it's Lucas's playground, and we're just visiting it. That the prequel trilogy didn't speak to me in the same way the classic trilogy did is irrelevant...it couldn't have, since I'm not 7 anymore.

That said, I know a lot of people feel betrayed by Lucas, which--though it strikes me as bordering on an unhealthy overreaction when weighed against the importance of things that transpire in reality--is at least partially understandable. People don't like anyone to muck about with their cherished childhood memories.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cmichaelhall.com
Calixar
Calixar

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 2 EmptySun May 09, 2010 10:16 pm

The original Star Wars films were done with state of the art technology. Lucas wanted it a technologicaly superior to other films as it could be.

Raiders of the Lost Ark on the other hand, was meant to look like an old film.

When better technology came about that could make Star Wars still have the best available effects... he updated it, just as Spielberg updated ET.

Raiders, the work of both men, was left alone... why?
Because the sci-fi films were meant to have the best effects. Raiders was not.

Star Wars is my childhood, too. I was 9 when the first movie came out. I think the new material and effects are an awesome addition. The new trilogy was weak in a lot of the ways mentioned above. You'll get no argument from me on that. Mysterylad's comment about Lucas having too much control... yeah. I can see that. I feel the same way about Gene Roddenberry and Star Trek. I loved Trek as a kid... then in 1987 TNG came around. After a whopping 3 episodes with Roddenberry in absolute control with no network interference... the show lost me. I didn't watch it again for years. As the other execs gained more control, the show got better.

But you're right... your opinon is valid in that it's your opinion and the whole good/bad movie/effects issue is entirely opinion based. But hyperbole will annoy me in any situation. Saying George Lucas raped your memories (an actual phrase spoken by a co-worker) by adding CG to the original films... wow. They're movies.
Back to top Go down
LakeErieMonster
LakeErieMonster

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon May 10, 2010 9:08 pm

I agree with the sentiment of the last 2 posted readily. I don't have any problem with the prequels or even the cartoons. I actually like Gennedy T's take on SW because I liked Dexter's lab and samurai Jack. The Clone wars stories aren't so bad I don't care for the animation style but it is what it is. My son liked all of the above and I'm happy to watch them with them , just as he is happy to watch the originals unedited with me and not point out how lame the effects are compared to todays standards. SW still appeals to kids, adults, collectors, fanboys, etc; and that's what makes it truly great because it has a wide audience and a large story base which you can pick and choose what you like.
Back to top Go down
Invisible Supreme
Invisible Supreme

Number of posts : 2167
Registration date : 2010-03-16

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue May 11, 2010 6:53 pm

WHO has seen all the sw movies? including the clonewars movie.
Back to top Go down
Nocturniah
Nocturniah

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue May 11, 2010 7:01 pm

Invisible Supreme wrote:
WHO has seen all the sw movies? including the clonewars movie.

Even better, including the Ewok movies? Smile I've seen all of it.

The things I wish George would show us in his further reversions of the original trilogy are things we'll never get to see. Like what happens in ESB after Vader forcepulls Han's gun and the door closes? They're in a dining room with food laid out... did they share a meal? Did they waste food? These are my unanswered Star Wars mysteries.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/nocturniah
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue May 11, 2010 9:55 pm

And don't forget the Star Wars Holiday Special!!!

or maybe we should forget it!!
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1660
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue May 11, 2010 10:43 pm

I've been trying to forget the Holiday Special since I watched in on TV. In the '70s.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cmichaelhall.com
Calixar
Calixar

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue May 11, 2010 10:46 pm

Nocturniah wrote:
... what happens in ESB after Vader forcepulls Han's gun and the door closes? They're in a dining room with food laid out... did they share a meal? Did they waste food?

lol!

Imagine the awkwardness of THAT meal.
Back to top Go down
RevClaire
RevClaire

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2010-03-09

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue May 11, 2010 11:11 pm

Calixar wrote:
Nocturniah wrote:
... what happens in ESB after Vader forcepulls Han's gun and the door closes? They're in a dining room with food laid out... did they share a meal? Did they waste food?

lol!

Imagine the awkwardness of THAT meal.

"How... *breathe* ...do you like... *breathe* ...the pasta?" Very Happy
Back to top Go down

The Official Star Wars Thread
Page 2 of 25Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next