MY new theory about the valeyard

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

MY new theory about the valeyard Empty
PostSubject: MY new theory about the valeyard   MY new theory about the valeyard EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 7:21 pm

ok, i'm not being egoccentric, i just wanted everyone to know that this theory is new to me, even if others have brought it up or discussed it before(i'm not ripping anyone off, in other words).

i recently re-watched the trial of a time lord, and this theory overwhelmed me, even though i'm sure they had no intention of this during the making of the episodes(at least i'm pretty sure it's not what they intended, all who shows are open to interpretation). the valeyard was created during the episode mindwarp, when the doctor's brain was worked on with that machine.

here's my theory: after the doctor's brain was "experimented" on, it opened a dark part of him. after the experiment in that episode, he started acting mean, and even during the trial, he couldn't remember what he had done. seeing as how the trial took place in time after mindwarp, that's how the valeyard existed. even in the next episode(the terror of the vervoids), the doctor was not himself. he would not put himself in danger, not rush to help. he was a different doctor from any of the previous 6th doctor stories.

the valeyard only existed because the 6th doctor's brain was messed up. when the 6th doctor regenerated into the 7th, the brain was healed, and the possibility of the valeyard no longer existed.

in the series we see specific things for each doctor. the 9th was angry and homicidal, being born out of the time war. the 8th was prone to bouts of amnesia. but we don't see these in the other doctor's because they are specific to each doctor. i say that if the the doctor's brain had not been experimented on in mindwarp, he would not have let perri die(i know she didn't, but c'mon, it was a better ending him not saving her), and the valeyard would not have existed.

i can even see close parralells between the 6th doctor and the valeyard. they both pride themselves on their intellect. they both put themselves above others(previous 6th doctor stories always had him fighting with peri, the worst relationship a doctor can have with a companion). the valeyard was the worst part of the 6th doctor, let loose.

what does anyone think? am i onto something here?
Back to top Go down
amagon
amagon

Number of posts : 2763
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: MY new theory about the valeyard   MY new theory about the valeyard EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 7:26 pm

There have been some stories where The 6th Dr "became" The Valeyard, but when something else happened, he turned back. In a 7th Dr story, The Valeyard was Jack the Ripper, he had statues of each Doctor, and when he died at the end, The 7th said, "good-bye, Doctor".

Then again, these stories were part of the "pocket universe" (just like Human Nature was), so your theory is completely plausible.
Back to top Go down
Christian
Christian

Number of posts : 395
Registration date : 2009-10-28

PostSubject: Re: MY new theory about the valeyard   MY new theory about the valeyard EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 9:00 pm

Well first in my mind, the 'pocket universe' doesn't exist. Same as the whole 'Universe in a Bottle' which no other writer picked up on, God bless Lance Parkin but when he's good he's awesome but when he's not he writes Who like a 'See Spot Run' book.

Nice theory there, bret... the one I subscribe to is the Valeyard is indeed a whole Faction Paradox plot. Bringing a possible Doctor to the present to meddle with the Doctor, keep him busy.

Or it could have been the Inferno universe Doctor some how surviving his fate explained in 'Time Wyrm: Revelation' or was it 'Time Wyrm: Apocalypse'? I get those two confused.

Some good Valeyard reading...
Head Games
Millenial Rites
Matrix (which amagon mentioned)
I know there's a few others but I can't think of them right now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christiankern.com
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: MY new theory about the valeyard   MY new theory about the valeyard EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 1:23 pm

my theory goes by the sole appearance he made in the television media(i'm not saying that the other's don't count).
it just seemed to make sense to me. the 6th doctor was the meanest doctor there was(sorry colin), to his companion(i'm not counting mel), to others. imagine if the 6th doctor wasn't held back anymore by the good in him(what i'm saying, is imagine if colin's doctor could have been even meaner than he was).

it would explain why the valeyard never re-appeared or mentioned ever again in the show. maybe that's the reason why doc 7 was so clowny and nice in his first season, to try to erase the possibility of the valeyard in himself. he was darker in the later seasons, but darker and meaner are two different things(at least in my perspective).

i'm not trying to bash on colin baker, because he is a good actor. however, the 6th doctor was the most egotistical, pompous, arragont, mean doctor there was. i pretty much described the valeyard right there too.
Back to top Go down

MY new theory about the valeyard
Page 1 of 1