12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
CJSchmidt
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

"What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread. Empty
PostSubject: "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread.   "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread. EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 3:46 pm

My idea:

The Doctor has been companionless for a while (gotta leave room for novels/audios/etc) and he's lonely. On his last adventure (Waters of Mars) he found some ancient artifact that shouldn't exist written in Gallifreyian. The artifact points to a temple at the very edge of the universe. Once there, the Doctor is greeted by the Master (who left the artifact for him to find). He had told Lucy to shoot him if things were to go wrong and he was going to be captured by the Doctor. The regeneration energy went into his ring, which could be used to grow a new body (ala Journey's End). During the years he spent in hiding, he discovered a way to bring Gallifrey back and needs the Doctor's help. He's willing to stand trial for what he's done, just as long as he doesn't have to be alone anymore. The two of them do whatever it is that needs to be done to begin the process. The Doctor is all smiles and tears of joy when the Master stabs him in the back. He only wants to bring back Gallifrey to take the damn place over. The Doctor is finally ready to give up. He doesn't regenerate and the Master kicks him into the Eye of Harmony (or whatever fancy FX shot is bringing back Gallifrey). Through some magical process only RTD could come up with, the Doctor is able to see his old companions who's life he "ruined". Rose and Doctor2.0 are together and happy living the life he couldn't live with her, Martha is married and reforming UNIT, Sarah Jane has Luke, Donna is maturing all on her own and Jack if off boinking something. He realizes that despite all the bad things that happen around him - it's still worth it. The Doctor flies out of Eye (or whatnot), stops the Master's plan (as he escapes), winks at the camera while saying something witty, and BLAMO - regenerates. Matt Smith shakes some dusts himself off and turns around to see a serene Gallifrey through the window. Another witty comment. Credits roll.
Back to top Go down
LakeErieMonster
LakeErieMonster

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2007-02-05

PostSubject: Re: "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread.   "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread. EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 10:37 pm

-- very plausible --
seriously well done.
Back to top Go down
Whovian

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2009-07-30

PostSubject: Re: "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread.   "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread. EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 7:57 am

CJSchmidt wrote:
My idea:

The Doctor has been companionless for a while (gotta leave room for novels/audios/etc) and he's lonely.
Are you suggesting he should shack up with a companion? Settle down for a while? tongue
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread.   "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread. EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 10:11 am

because he could always go back and find.....tegan!
Back to top Go down
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792

PostSubject: Re: "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread.   "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread. EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 2:21 pm

But what about River Song? I always thought she was his wife of the future.

Jany
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
CJSchmidt
CJSchmidt

PostSubject: Re: "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread.   "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread. EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 4:38 pm

She did mention that the last time she saw him he acted older and had just gotten a new haircut. Maybe "new haircut" is an inside joke for regeneration between them? Isn't that the joke; walk in and someone has lost 50lbs - "You look different... did you cut your hair?". :-)
Back to top Go down
Whovian

PostSubject: Re: "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread.   "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread. EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 8:04 pm

hitman hart wrote:
because he could always go back and find.....tegan!
Dude, I'm speechless thinking about this. Shocked
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread.   "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread. EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 8:39 pm

hey cjschmidt, i hope new haircut actually means haircut. i'm one of the few who thinks matt smith's hair looks ridiculous. i actually liked ce's close cropped look. good theory.

in the age of steel the doctor blew into a component from the tardis, and took away ten years, correct? what if he regenerates in some way to restart gallifrey? i don't know how it would work, but instead of being killed(which we've seen almost every time), he would be sacrificing himself to bring back the timelords. that would be a great way for dt to go out, the ultimate act of self sacrifice.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread.   "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread. EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 9:07 pm

The whole thing is Day ONE!!!

Gallifrey is back, the Doctor is now a pre-Hartnell version! Some sort of reset to the beginning but not a true reset. The Guardians decide the Doctor has suffered enough in his lives and has done so much good for the Universe that they give him not only a whole new life cycle, but some joy!

Part of that is from seeing the new 'old' TARDIS, and all this talk of starting the brand of Doctor Who all over again from the merchandising arm of BBC.

Just a stray thought... :hitchhiker: We now return you to normality.
Back to top Go down
Whovian

PostSubject: Re: "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread.   "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread. EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 10:26 pm

I would rather have Tegan back.

Oh Tegan, why didn't I appreciate you when you were in the limelight?
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread.   "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread. EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 11:45 am

hoosier, i really hope that's not true, but i could see them doing it. i personally hate resets(the new star trek movie, knight rider, etc.).

what bbc doesn't understand is that doctor who isn't a normal tv show. yes, on a normal show like er, the fanbase gets bored after 5 years, so you can replace the whole cast with 18 year old to appeal to a younger audience. doctor who has been on the air for so many years because the same people have been watching, and then they get new people to watch.

what the bbc is thinking now is that everyone who started watching with cd, or tennant, are too old to watch anymore, i.e. too old to buy merchandise. so let's bring in mr. smith, and amy pond, and make miniture playsets and baby rattles(i'm being silly, i know).

i just really hope they have a good idea for all of this. rtd only had one good season finale in his tenure, and that was the 15 satelites in orbit. everything else was rubbish. rose absorbing the time vortex? the void destroying itself? the worst was all of the daleks being destroyed by the push of a button at the end of journey's end.

if he does something like this, which i see him doing, it will be the end of doctor who for me. time gets reset? what????? at least in the show lexx they went to an alternate universe, and that's how they explained everything. like the doctor said in the satan pit, it doesn't fit my beliefs. alternate universes, yes. time travel, yes. time resetting, NO.
Back to top Go down
DoctorOlly
DoctorOlly

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2007-09-01

PostSubject: Re: "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread.   "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread. EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 11:56 am

bret_owen99 wrote:
the worst was all of the daleks being destroyed by the push of a button at the end of journey's end.

I agree, the worst part about Journey's End was the Daleks spinning round. Made them seem too silly and vulnerable.

Also, CJSchmidt, the theory was good. Wink
Back to top Go down
CJSchmidt
CJSchmidt

PostSubject: Re: "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread.   "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread. EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 4:13 pm

bret,

Being a regeneration finale and a whole new cast next season, we're pretty much guaranteed RTD can't totally hit the reset button. :-)

Don't give up on Who. The beauty of the show it can all change in an instant.

Chris
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread.   "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread. EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 5:29 pm

i'm not giving up on who, i just cringe when i think of what rtd might do. i had heard rumors before the stolen earth/journey's end, that he wanted to kill off everyone he had put in the series in the last 5 years, so they could start "fresh" the next series(without having to mention anyone, or look for anyone like rose, or martha, etc.). i don't think a "reset" button is something he wouldn't do. personally, i wish they would wait for the doctor's last regeneration to explain how he can keep living(whatever that may be, and bring back the valeyard).

i also love moffat, and have faith in him. what i don't have faith in yet is the powers that be at bbc. julie gardner left, phil colinson. i don't know if their replacements will know how to steer the show. a good example would be joel shumacher. a great writer/director. he did great with batman forever, however after that the studio wanted him to turn it into a kiddie movie, and that's how we ended up with batman and robin.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread.   "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread. EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 6:51 pm

Maybe reset was not the best word to use. But a new beginning. Not to say, "Oh none of the past happened". But rather, "You have gone through so much, time to let you have a second go"
Back to top Go down
Nocturniah
Nocturniah

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread.   "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread. EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 7:36 pm

bret_owen99 wrote:
a good example would be joel shumacher. a great writer/director. he did great with batman forever, however after that the studio wanted him to turn it into a kiddie movie, and that's how we ended up with batman and robin.

That's also how we ended up with Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, though. Any time someone comes in and destroys a property as beloved (and profitable) as Batman or Doctor Who (or the Hulk, though that's failed twice), someone will always try to fix it. No matter what happens right now on Who, I know someone, someday, will come along and top everything we've seen before.

That said, I think we're in good hands right now and for the forseeable future Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/nocturniah
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread.   "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread. EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 10:47 pm

I think everyone is so anxious about what the new who will be like- today with the net and information all around us- we get spoilers and jump to conclusions too quickly. I'm so old that when a new doctor was introduced I did not read in the paper, magazines, etc...it was just pop- there is a new doctor and I was surprised, hated the new guy at first- then loved em' later. Sometimes it is fun to be afraid and not know what is in store...now I'm going to io9 and den of geek after I write this...shame on me.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread.   "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread. EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 11:02 pm

OLD? "PFFFFT" you are still a kid! I am going to be 40 in a few weeks! "OH GAWD! WHAT HAVE I DONE WITH MY LIFE!?!"

I really do miss the mystery. I remember looking at Starlog and getting the clues of upcoming series and pictures and looking forward to being surprised.

I miss the good ole' days No
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread.   "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread. EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 12:47 pm

remember the starlog 20th anniversary special? It basically disintergrated in my hands because I read it cover to cover! I had to wait one whole year for the five doctors special- I only had the magazine to go by...I was very patient back then- what happened?
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1660
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread.   "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread. EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 3:21 pm

I have a copy of the Starlog 20th ann. special sitting only arm's reach from me right now! I actually had two copies as a kid, but I read the other one so many times it literally fell to pieces (I also hung the poster on my door for several years).

I loved Starlog growing up. The immediacy of the Internet has been wonderful for those of us who are academics, but as a fan, I can't help but miss that sense of mystery, longing, and suspense that I felt between reading an article in Starlog (or Fantastic Films) and finally seeing the film, TV show, or comic book in question. I can't help but miss those years.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cmichaelhall.com
CJSchmidt
CJSchmidt

PostSubject: Re: "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread.   "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread. EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 11:39 am

bret_owen99:

Don't forget that Moffat has plenty of clout with the Beeb now too (Coupling, Jekyll, Doctor Who) and has given interviews talking about how they are letting him do what he needs to do. RTD has also kept Moffat in the loop on his finale to make sure the transition goes smoothly.

If all else fails, this is the guy who made one of the best Doctor Who episodes - while the lead actor was off shooting something else for most of the time.
Back to top Go down
Dalek Thay

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread.   "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread. EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 1:44 pm

The Moxx of Balhoon and Banakafalata are the very first companions of the 11th Doctor, travelling in a one off story before the Series officially starts!
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread.   "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread. EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 1:56 pm

hey dalek thay, that's kind of funny. however, i am a huge jimmy vee fan(and i'm sure there are others out there). i would love it if vee played a companion for a couple of episodes. he could be someone or something like turlough or kamelion. an alien that needs the doctor's help getting somewhere, or getting something. although he is really good at playing a bad guy(child slitheen, the graske), Banakafalata was great, and it was so sad he had to die.
Back to top Go down
Dalek Thay

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread.   "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread. EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 2:17 pm

Yes, Lol, they were both great characters. Smile

I forgot that they were the same guy playing them!
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread.   "What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread. EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 4:01 pm

doctor in distress. were sending out an sos. doctor in distress. umm seriously i lived every ep that moffat wrote. the doctor dances still ranks to me as a brilliant example of why i watch doctor who only to be followed by the girl in the fire place! im moffat i trust. im sure the doctor will meet a just and noble end. i think youve all been a bit niave since you have all missed the obvious signs that the seadevils and sullurians are comming back to take out the doctor. obviouslly they fled to the waters of mars and have been working with the master all along. the clearly masterminded the entire time war and have secretly been pushing this entire storyline with the help of the ice warriors. god. you people can be so blind somtimes. sheeessh!

lol.
Back to top Go down

"What's Going to Happen" Theory Thread.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next