Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeSearchRegisterLog inThe Who North America Online StoreLatest images

The next classic Doctor Who blu ray series release is...

Go down 
+6
Cruel Angel
thebreen
Bob1963
SeaDevil
Whooz
squishy
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TinDogRory
TinDogRory

Number of posts : 1462
Registration date : 2010-07-20

The next classic Doctor Who blu ray series release is... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The next classic Doctor Who blu ray series release is...   The next classic Doctor Who blu ray series release is... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 26, 2021 11:17 pm

Bob1963 wrote:
I have several mutli region Blue Ray Players but getting pre orders of the latest Dr. Who Blue Ray Releases direct from the uK has become a night mare since last December.

Some say its because of Brexit but if that were true you would not be able to get other items from the UK.  I a was able to pre order a TLV BBC Audio CD direct from the UK with no problems what's so ever.   Same with the reprint of the lost BBC Missing Adventures Novel "Times Champion" pre ordered that from the UK as well and had no problem getting it.   But current Blue Rays. . .  .?

Yes, I've had this problem with the Demon vinyl releases. I can order them after-the-fact, but I cannot pre-order. And there are random things I can and cannot order based on region, but in at least two cases a thing I was barred from ordering just two weeks ago to my address is now fine. Very odd.
Back to top Go down
http://aykfpod.com
TinDogRory
TinDogRory

Number of posts : 1462
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: The next classic Doctor Who blu ray series release is...   The next classic Doctor Who blu ray series release is... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 26, 2021 11:53 pm

Bob1963 wrote:
Same with the reprint of the lost BBC Missing Adventures Novel "Times Champion" pre ordered that from the UK as well and had no problem getting it.   But current Blue Rays. . .  .?

OH NO! Just noticed this part. I missed this! And it appears to be sold out again. DRAT!
Back to top Go down
http://aykfpod.com
Bob1963
Bob1963

Number of posts : 1276
Registration date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: The next classic Doctor Who blu ray series release is...   The next classic Doctor Who blu ray series release is... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 27, 2021 1:18 am

I think I actually got one of the last 2 copies, no sooner had I posted my order than I read on a Face Book Group that the book was now sold out (less than 2 hours after I pre ordered it)
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

Number of posts : 554
Registration date : 2016-02-23

PostSubject: Re: The next classic Doctor Who blu ray series release is...   The next classic Doctor Who blu ray series release is... - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 14, 2021 4:02 pm

squishy wrote:
I've decided to stick with the Region A discs for The Collection.  Too much stuff in my life to try and track down.  Although I've given up waiting for the animations (and then only on DVD) and have been getting the Region B Blu-rays for those.  But for those looking for the UK release of Season 8, best of luck finding a way to get a copy.

And given that trailer and a sneak peak at all those bonus items, I'm ready for this set to arrive!  Feb 23, 2021 in the UK, but how about the USA?

June 1st U.S release for Pertwee's new box set.
( Mccoy's I'm assuming Oct/Nov but that's a guess)
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2485
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: The next classic Doctor Who blu ray series release is...   The next classic Doctor Who blu ray series release is... - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 14, 2021 10:27 pm

Winter wrote:

Good news! Something to look forward at the very end of Spring before the summer heat gets to us.

And a good guess for Season 24. Not a frequently re-watched season, but every once in a while I do like seeing these stories again. And I'm sure The Collection will make it worthwhile to double dip on these (glad I stuck with my 1980's off-air PBS copies until the DVDs arrived).
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: The next classic Doctor Who blu ray series release is...   The next classic Doctor Who blu ray series release is... - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 18, 2021 10:09 pm

squishy wrote:
Winter wrote:

Good news!  Something to look forward at the very end of Spring before the summer heat gets to us.

And a good guess for Season 24.  Not a frequently re-watched season, but every once in a while I do like seeing these stories again.  And I'm sure The Collection will make it worthwhile to double dip on these (glad I stuck with my 1980's off-air PBS copies until the DVDs arrived).

I found a Mint VHS copy of Robot randomly setting about at an antique shop for a couple bucks and bought it as 4 is my favorite:) don't own a VCR but am super fond of my VHS...at some point I wouldn't mind owning a VHS copy of the first episode of the first 3 doctors as well, Troughton's of course would be Tomb of the Cybermen as his first episode was never released on VHS lol.
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: The next classic Doctor Who blu ray series release is...   The next classic Doctor Who blu ray series release is... - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2021 12:50 am

Update: Sep. 21 on McCoy's 1st season box set:)
There is also a guy on *Blu-ray.com* that is making FREE inserts for all Classic Doctor Who releases, it's a pdf that you can download and print, the inserts are exactly like the first Tom Baker insert and for some weird reason they quit including them in U.S. releases. I can't recall the forum members name but it's in the classic Tom baker and Peter Davison sets thread.
*(Edit)* website name drop is not a store.
Back to top Go down
Rogue
Rogue

Number of posts : 985
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: The next classic Doctor Who blu ray series release is...   The next classic Doctor Who blu ray series release is... - Page 2 EmptyMon May 31, 2021 10:29 am

I'll be honest, in that I haven't really followed or bought the Blu releases of the classic series.  I guess because right before they started rolling them out, I made quite an effort to get all of the 4th Doctor's stories on DVD, along with some others, before they all started going out of print.  I was feeling the burn from having done that, the Blu sets being much cheaper.  I also dislike the nu-Who packaging design being used on classic story sets.

In any case, I saw an article that mentioned the Classic sets will be reissued in "standard packaging."

I don't think I can link the article since it has links to other stores (although they are UK retailers).  Here's an excerpt about the differences between the original release "Limited Edition" sets and the reissues:

Quote :
Releases within the Doctor Who: The Collection Limited Edition Packaging range will continue to offer fans bespoke, premium packaging featuring a beautifully presented box containing the discs and a full-length, premium-printed booklet which includes illustrations and in-depth, behind the scenes insight.

Releases within the new, standard packaging Doctor Who: The Collection range will feature a standard, plastic Blu-ray case inside a slipcase, with a condensed, standard-printed 12-page booklet featuring disc-breakdowns and selected illustrations. The new range will include all of the watchable content and special features included in the Limited Edition Packaging release.

This being a UK article, these "standard" sets may not be for other world markets. Just thought I'd share.
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2485
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: The next classic Doctor Who blu ray series release is...   The next classic Doctor Who blu ray series release is... - Page 2 EmptyMon May 31, 2021 5:54 pm

The good thing about being in the USA is that our releases of the Blu-ray sets haven't been limited. If you've skipped the first 8 sets then you can still find them all relatively easy and most likely at a good price. The UK has had "limited edition" sets which have all sold out and the aftermarket prices have been double or triple the original release prices (or more). They also had much fancier packaging and booklets while the USA got very basic Amary plastic blue cases and no booklets (yes, Season 12 did have a 1 page leaflet in the front). Region A also dropped the cardboard outer sleeve after the first 4 releases (or so) to much fan outrage. I personally didn't like all the "Tom Baker Season 7" business and the relatively poor organization of material on the sleeves and have been trying to slip in better info so I know which bonus features are on each disk.

Lots of UK fans were complaining that if they missed a single release that they couldn't complete their sets. Thus, they now have Region B "standard sets" coming that will be in the basic blue plastic cases like we've been getting in the USA. So a shorter booklet will be included and definitely the native PAL refresh rate (for those that are concerned about such things and the slight improvement of watching the program in the native format if your TV can handle it). A good value if you missed the "limited edition" packaging the first time around. And some people like the durability and smaller size of the standard blue cases.

So now would be a good time to start collecting either version. Each set has tried to include a few new special features, at least one story with optional CGI effects, as many more 5.1 audio mixes as possible, some kind of huge interview with a star, and a big 90 minute documentary on some aspect of the season. I've found enough good stuff to upgrade my DVD versions to the Blu-ray sets. But those DVD releases are still very good to pop into the player if all you want to do is enjoy a Classic story. Importing the Region B versions was too much of a headache for me so I think I'll be just fine with my USA/Region A collection going forward. Too late for me to want to make the switch to UK.
Back to top Go down
Rogue
Rogue

Number of posts : 985
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: The next classic Doctor Who blu ray series release is...   The next classic Doctor Who blu ray series release is... - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 03, 2021 8:15 am

Thanks Squishy. I'll have to consider what to do. If my TV etc can handle PAL, I may just try for the UK sets.

I do have the limited edition 4th Doctor box set, which included the original 4th Doctor regenerated action figure and Terror of the Zygons on DVD. I didn't have a problem watching that DVD, which I can only assume is PAL since it wasn't offered in the US. (At least, I don't think I had a problem watching it, as I don't fully comprehend the differences between PAL, NTSC, and such.)
Back to top Go down

The next classic Doctor Who blu ray series release is...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2