10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series) Empty
PostSubject: Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series)   Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series) EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 3:36 am

I just started watching this on Netflix, and I'm up to episode 14 already. I was a huge fan of the Sci-Fi Network re-imagining. I wasn't sure how I'd like it, since it's reputation is somewhat sketchy.

But I have to say, I'm loving it! It's so much fun. I wish there was a major network would take a chance on a big-budget sci-fi action series set in space these days. Can you imagine?

I just got to War of the Gods Part 1, and I wondered if longtime fans had an answer to a question. When they land on the planet everything is red... but when they investigate the crashed ship there everything has gone normal! They said the red was due to strange light... and then they abandoned it for a scene. Was there some explanation in-story for this? Or was it just a quirk of production?
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series)   Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series) EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 8:08 am

Having only seen the "movie" since the 80s, no guess.... but I did note that Starbuck yells, "Frack!" in that initial storyline. I had not remembered that as something carried over from the original. It made me chuckle.

In your opinion, watching them now, what would you call the best and most important episodes?
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series)   Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series) EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 9:05 am

Got the pilot on tape.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series)   Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series) EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 9:52 am

I have the dvd set along with Galactica 1980 Rolling Eyes.
One of the best episodes is the last one, The Hand of God.
You should read about the plans Larson had for a second season. Very interesting study
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series)   Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series) EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 11:47 am

Calixar wrote:
Having only seen the "movie" since the 80s, no guess.... but I did note that Starbuck yells, "Frack!" in that initial storyline. I had not remembered that as something carried over from the original. It made me chuckle.

In your opinion, watching them now, what would you call the best and most important episodes?

Yeah, I didn't realize that was picked up from the old series either. As a kid I watched the pilot on video (and had a Cylon fighter toy) but I did't really remember it. As for the best or most important episodes, just up to the point where I'm at I'd say the pilot (a three parter called Saga of a Star World), Gun on Ice Planet Zero, The Living Legend and the episode I'm on now, War of the Gods, seems to be well-regarded, but I haven't finished it yet. Smile They are all multi-part stories, so they're like mini movies. There are some enjoyable episodes in-between, though some of them are western pastiches and things that can seem a bit cheesy. Smile

Whoosier Whovian wrote:
I have the dvd set along with Galactica 1980 Rolling Eyes.
One of the best episodes is the last one, The Hand of God.
You should read about the plans Larson had for a second season. Very interesting study

I am debating on whether to watch 1980. It's on Netflix, but I've heard such horrible things. I wonder if I should just end at Hand of God. Smile I'll have to do some reading! I was looking for a BSG book of the same level of quality of some of the Doctor Who books and I ordered one that received good reviews called "By Your Command." So hopefully that'll have some good info. I know there's a lot on the web, I just like books too. Smile
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7000
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series)   Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series) EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 11:54 am

jonwes wrote:
I am debating on whether to watch 1980. It's on Netflix, but I've heard such horrible things. I wonder if I should just end at Hand of God. Smile

The only 1980 episode worth watching in my opinion is "The Return of Starbuck."

It's the only reason I bought the DVD set of 1980.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series)   Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series) EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 12:43 pm

jonwes wrote:
I'll have to do some reading! I was looking for a BSG book of the same level of quality of some of the Doctor Who books and I ordered one that received good reviews called "By Your Command." So hopefully that'll have some good info. I know there's a lot on the web, I just like books too. Smile

You might want to give the Galactica books that Richard Hatch wrote a try. I didn't get all of them, but I have the first 3 and I think they are pretty good.

My thoughts on:

Season 2. I think I could have gotten behind all the changes, except recasting Athena. I had a major crush on her, and I still think Starbuck made the wrong choice by going after Cassie. But, if the series progressed further, she might have had to leave anyway when she developed Epstein Barr.

1980: I actually liked the original premise they were going to go with for the series in the pilot "Galactica Discovers Earth". But the network made them get away from the time travel idea, and then we got the crappy rest of the series. Shows what those network execs knew... Bellisario went on with the concept and made some show called Quantum Leap.

Classic v New: I remember when the talk of BSG started up, and some classic fans were saying it would never work. Humanoid Cylons (one actually popped up in 1980), recasting Boomer and Starbuck as women, etc etc. I'm not normally a fan of remakes, but I gave it a try, and glad I did. I love military, and love arc based series, continuity, etc. way more than I do regular episodic series. For me it's like Classic and TNG Trek v DS9s later seasons and Trek v Babylon 5 . BSG has so much more of what I like and wished the old series had, and I just ate it up.

And in a great twist of fate, since almost all the big sci fi conventions are on the west and east coasts (thus growing up and living in Texas rarely gets you any opportunity to hit a big show with lots of major actors without large expenditures of time and money for tickets, air fare, and hotel)...

The 3rd Galacticon is going to be held in Houston this summer, for the 35th anniv of classic and 10th anniv of the new series. They are going to try and make it the biggest reunion of the casts they can.

Guest list so far:

Classic

Richard Hatch- Apollo
Dirk Benedict- Starbuck
Herbert Jefferson Jr- Boomer
Terry Carter- Tigh
Anne Lockhart- Sheba
Noah Hathaway- Boxey
Jack Stauffer- Bojay

New

Edward James Olmos- William Adama
Jamie Bamber- Lee Adama
Michael Hogan- Saul Tigh
Nicki Clyne- Cally
Kate Vernon- Ellen Tigh
Leah Cairns- Racetrack
Luciano Carro- Kat

Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series)   Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series) EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Oh,yes, Frak was definitely part of the original series. I used the word for years and got so many weird looks from people. Feldercarb was another word I used, but I don't remember that on the new series a lot.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series)   Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series) EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 7:09 pm

Another piece of trivia, the theme from the '78 series was only quoted twice in the new one.

The first time was at the flyover during the decommisioning ceremony on Galactica and the second was when the fleet was put on course for the sun.

And if you ever think you saw a prop from Galactica in Buck Rogers you would be right. A lot of props, costumes and set elements were recycled by Universal.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series)   Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series) EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 8:08 pm

Whoosier Whovian wrote:
Another piece of trivia, the theme from the '78 series was only quoted twice in the new one.

The first time was at the flyover during the decommisioning ceremony on Galactica and the second was when the fleet was put on course for the sun.

The theme was also used at the end of the documentary on the military that D'Anna shot in reaction to the Gideon Massacre in "Final Cut".

Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series)   Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series) EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 8:48 pm

I adored both the classic and new BSG shows. But while the classic generally gets a pass by me for the era it was produced in, the new BSG left a bad taste in my mouth after it was all said and done.

Specifically, after the New Caprica arc, the wheels came off the show in a big way. What should have been a tightly focused final season started out amazing (The Mutiny) and then spiraled out of control from there. Interviews with the writers confirm that there was no plan going forward - the plots were plucked out of the Aether and developed on the fly. Heck, they chose the final five Cylons by drawing names out of a hat. Starbuck's actress has gone on record saying her character's frustration in the final season wasn't acted at all - because nobody would tell her the character's motivation. The secret ingredient to Cylon/Human Babies is Love!

What that showcases is major props to the Actors and the Crew, because they kept the show afloat when the utter failure of writing should have tanked the show long before the most depressing series finale I've ever seen.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series)   Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series) EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 8:56 pm

Rust wrote:

Specifically, after the New Caprica arc, the wheels came off the show in a big way. What should have been a tightly focused final season started out amazing (The Mutiny) and then spiraled out of control from there. Interviews with the writers confirm that there was no plan going forward - the plots were plucked out of the Aether and developed on the fly.

Yup. When I rewatch the series... its full throttle all the way up to The Oath and Blood on the Scales. After the mutiny arc ends, I just can't get motivated to finish out the season.

It really was a disappointing way for the series to go out. They should have planned ahead on how to end the series.

But it was 3.5 seasons of great tv.

Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series)   Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series) EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 11:08 pm

True. Still so much wasted good will in that final half a season.

Devoting 45 minutes to reminding the audience Ellen Tigh was a Vindictive Female Dog was unnecessary, the Exposition Dump episode jarring, and of course, the finale that featured non-relevant flashbacks from before the Cylons destroyed the colonies. Thrill to Apollo chasing around a bird, drunk! *Facepalm*
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series)   Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series) EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 11:52 pm

Cruel Angel wrote:

You might want to give the Galactica books that Richard Hatch wrote a try. I didn't get all of them, but I have the first 3 and I think they are pretty good.

I thought about it, but the reviews were so variable! I did get the graphic novel of the Marvel adaptation. I had the first issue of it as a kid, so it's more of a nostalgia thing.

Quote :

Season 2. I think I could have gotten behind all the changes, except recasting Athena.

I had read somewhere that she was going to be written out, I didn't realize they planned to recast. I wondered how they were going to explain how the commander's daughter just disappears. I didn't realize the actress developed E-B. I do feel like she's probably the weakest actor in the show, though, of the main characters. But to be honest, her role was sort of thankless, too.

Quote :

The 3rd Galacticon is going to be held in Houston this summer, for the 35th anniv of classic and 10th anniv of the new series. They are going to try and make it the biggest reunion of the casts they can.

I saw that! Looks like a great guest list so far. Wish I could get to some cons. The only one I've gone to is PowerCon for He-man and the Masters of the Universe. Never even made it to Chicago Tardis.

As for the new BSG, I have to be honest in saying that even though it lost momentum I still enjoyed it a great deal until the very last episode. I've got the series on Blu Ray and never opened the package, but I might have to get it out soon and give it a watch. I'm hoping I might like the ending now that more time has passed.

Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series)   Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series) EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 12:07 am

jonwes wrote:

I had read somewhere that she was going to be written out, I didn't realize they planned to recast. I wondered how they were going to explain how the commander's daughter just disappears. I didn't realize the actress developed E-B. I do feel like she's probably the weakest actor in the show, though, of the main characters. But to be honest, her role was sort of thankless, too.

If I remember right, they were going to have her caught in a hangar bay fire, or something where she would be 'disfigured' and after reconstructive surgery, would be revealed with a new face, ala new actress.

Yeah, after around 1981, she quit acting because of her illness and dropped completely off the map.

If they had decided to pair Starbuck up with her, or at least keep the triangle going, they could have done more with her. I was surprised they didn't try and get her out on missions once in a while since she was a qualified viper pilot. But with Starbuck choosing Cassie, there wasn't much for her to do. Then the powers that be were not happy with her acting, and kept trying to place her in the stories somewhere to give her time to get better, but it didn't happen for them, so she just virtually disappeared.

I'm hoping that the Galacticon runners are trying to reach out to her and try and get her to the show.

Ive gotten to meet all the main viper pilots (Apollo, Starbuck, Boomer, and Sheba). I wouldn't mind seeing Omega and Rigel show up too... Jolly...

Never was a fan of Cassie of course, but it be okay if she made it... she's one of the people in my cast photo that I got all the others to sign.

Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series)   Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series) EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 12:48 am

I don't mind Cassie but her character seems a bit rudderless, other than to basically perform the role of the ship's Doctor... even though she's a Medtech. I have to say, I did find it funny that she went from, basically, an intergalactic geisha in the first episode to a medtech with no mention inbetween, though of course they do mention that everyone is receiving new training.
Back to top Go down
The 2nd Doctor Roberts
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series)   Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series) EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 1:45 am

Rust wrote:
What that showcases is major props to the Actors and the Crew, because they kept the show afloat when the utter failure of writing should have tanked the show long before the most depressing series finale I've ever seen.

The only real problem I have with the finale is...and I'll spoiler it for the heck of it...

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series)   Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series) EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 5:52 am

The 2nd Doctor Roberts wrote:
Rust wrote:

The only real problem I have with the finale is...and I'll spoiler it for the heck of it...

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

But that wasn't the part of the finale that got me. It was the literal (and lazy) nature of the Opera House dream, and all the constant pre-invasion flashbacks that had nothing to do with anything.
Back to top Go down
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series)   Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series) EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 9:29 am

I love the classic Battlestar Galactica (especially War of the Gods).

I also enjoy Galactica 1980, although I think there are cringe-worthy moments throughout 1980 (mostly surrounding Doctor Zee as well as the Space Scouts). That being said, Galactica 1980 has some great elements (if you can get over the complete abandonment of almost the entire original cast).

Everyone mentions Return of Starbuck, so I won't comment on that one.

"The Night the Cylons Landed" is a great story. One of my favorites from the series.

Also, the initial story arch of Troy and Dillan is fun as they arrive on earth and attempt to blend in and move Earth's development forward to be able to deal with the coming Cylon threat.

The story of the original Battlestar Galactica is an interesting one, that is for sure. Glen Larson poured everything into the first 5 hours of Galactica and it was so popular when first televised, the network insisted on more episodes immediately. Glen Larson begged for a year to work on the series and develop scripts, but the network was insistent that he get it up and running in a matter of weeks.

With a lack of scripts, the series mounted immediately and struggled with the initial growing pains. It was still incredibly popular, but the stories were varied in quality due to the rush placed on Larson and associates.

Even though the show was incredibly popular and had a tremendous following, the network panicked and pulled the plug on Galactica early. It was one of the most expensive shows to produce and the network feared the show would not generate enough revenue to keep going another season.

The reaction of fans was explosive. People were incredibly upset and one kid even committed suicide when his favorite show was cancelled. The network capitulated and gave the green light for "Galactica 1980," but they wanted changes. They wanted earth-bound stories for budgetary reasons and they slotted it during family viewing time, meaning it had to meet the family viewing standards on violence, as well as contain "educational moments" for younger viewers.

The new tone and the loss of almost the entire original cast meant that people quickly rejected the new Galactica 1980 and it died a painful death on the network. I still like it, but a lot of people were very upset when it initially ran.
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series)   Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series) EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 5:41 pm

I remember watching the ratings each week in TV Guide, and they started out at the top. But, by week 5 it began to drop. Soon, it was no longer in the top 15. And I never forgave Jimmy Carter for breaking into the first episode just before it ended.
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series)   Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series) EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 2:11 am

Interesting to hear how it was in "real time" - being born in 79 I pretty much missed all of that. Haven't gotten much farther in the series, but I did get the "By Your Command" book. Just flipped through it, but I'm glad I got it. Looks like it could be an interesting read.

I thought I'd share some photos of my BSG figures from Bif Bang Pow. They make the retro Doctor Who figures. Overall, they are very fun! They didn't quite account for the long hair on Apollo and Starbuck when they designed the coats so they don't fit as well as they should. Starbuck isn't bad, but Apollo is a little problematic. But Adama is amazing and the Cylons look great (though some design decisions mean they can't move as much as I'd like.)

Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series) 8389057658_2f1ee10b9e_z
Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series) 8387969819_e9a8045bde_z
Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series) 8389056824_ebb28561e4_z
Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series) 8389056076_db468f464f_z
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series)   Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series) EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 3:57 am

Those are very nice figures, nice addition to your collection!
Back to top Go down
guvnagrover
guvnagrover

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2012-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series)   Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series) EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 6:49 pm

jonwes wrote:

I thought I'd share some photos of my BSG figures from Bif Bang Pow. They make the retro Doctor Who figures. Overall, they are very fun! They didn't quite account for the long hair on Apollo and Starbuck when they designed the coats so they don't fit as well as they should. Starbuck isn't bad, but Apollo is a little problematic. But Adama is amazing and the Cylons look great (though some design decisions mean they can't move as much as I'd like.)

Thanks for sharing the BSG pics jonwes! I wanted to buy those as well as the Six Million Dollar Man ones!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series)   Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series) EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 11:18 pm

Here are my Titanium and the one Konami I have (Cylon Basestar)

Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series) Img_5910Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series) Img_5911
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series)   Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series) EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 11:36 pm

Thanks guys. I am thinking of getting the SMDM too along with Big Foot. They are pretty fun.

Whoosier, those are very cool! I got the larger Titanium Battlestar, but could never find the little guys. I saw a set on Ebay go for $40! I was going to bid but got busy at work when it ended. I'd love a set of those.
Back to top Go down

Battlestar Galactica (Classic Series)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next