34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
AuthorMessage
Stark-Boy
Stark-Boy

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2013-11-02

TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOMFAN'S Customs   TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2015 5:32 pm

Hi Tomfan - can you give me any tips with sculpting, for instance how much milliput would I need to make a Missy custom based on how you made yours.
Back to top Go down
TOMFAN
TOMFAN

Number of posts : 509
Registration date : 2014-02-25

PostSubject: Re: TOMFAN'S Customs   TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 EmptySat Aug 08, 2015 12:05 pm

It only takes a couple of minutes to mix them together, and so the best thing is to mix it up as you go along, say about a finger tips length at a time.

If you mix too much up at once, you can end up with too much for what you need, and it will be just be a waste, or it will dry out and go hard before you can use it.
Back to top Go down
Colbster
Colbster

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2008-02-02

PostSubject: Re: TOMFAN'S Customs   TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 EmptySat Aug 08, 2015 4:55 pm

I continue to be amazed by your talent! Any time I need inspiration, I come to this thread.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/CMB76
Invisible Supreme
Invisible Supreme

Number of posts : 2167
Registration date : 2010-03-16

PostSubject: Re: TOMFAN'S Customs   TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 EmptySat Aug 08, 2015 7:24 pm

TOMFAN, what kind of paint would you recommend for transparent/translucent plastic? And should I first sand it down?
Back to top Go down
TOMFAN
TOMFAN

PostSubject: Re: TOMFAN'S Customs   TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 2:13 pm

Colbster wrote:
I continue to be amazed by your talent! Any time I need inspiration, I come to this thread.

Many thanks!
Back to top Go down
TOMFAN
TOMFAN

PostSubject: Re: TOMFAN'S Customs   TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 2:17 pm

Invisible Supreme wrote:
TOMFAN, what kind of paint would you recommend for transparent/translucent plastic? And should I first sand it down?

I only ever use acrylics, and I've found that they go onto most surfaces fine, and I've never had to sand anything down first. Just remember that a lot of very thin coats of paint will go on, and look, better, than one thick one.
Back to top Go down
TOMFAN
TOMFAN

PostSubject: Re: TOMFAN'S Customs   TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 3:38 pm

Clara - Flatline

TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 Clara-Flatline-C_zpsdl75hle2

TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 Clara-Flatline-B_zpsfkpmzqmm

TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 Clara-Flatline-A_zpskztweewa

TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 3a593cea-0421-433e-be1f-222d50e76c57_zpsm01vgmso

WIP Pics

TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 Clara-Flatline-WIP-A_zpshlh8ixy0

TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 Clara-Flatline-WIP-B_zpsrrhoaqyj

TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 Clara-Flatline-WIP-C_zps82ycdley

TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 Clara-Flatline-WIP-D_zpswpbg1zwt
Back to top Go down
Captain Ironmac
Captain Ironmac

Number of posts : 572
Registration date : 2009-08-10

PostSubject: Re: TOMFAN'S Customs   TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2015 9:38 pm

I wish I had your talant
Back to top Go down
TOMFAN
TOMFAN

PostSubject: Re: TOMFAN'S Customs   TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 2:50 pm

Cheers Cap!
Back to top Go down
Colbster
Colbster

PostSubject: Re: TOMFAN'S Customs   TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 4:46 pm

Another Clara? Imagine that ha ha Wink . I think you are perhaps the best customizer I have seen. No offense to anyone else's efforts, but your attention to detail, sharp sculpting and impeccable paint work sets you apart. I wonder if you could give me some tips on working with milliput? Not sure if tips should be in a different thread. Any advice on getting fresh Milliput to stick to cured Milliput?
Back to top Go down
amagon
amagon

Number of posts : 2763
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: TOMFAN'S Customs   TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 5:42 pm

TOMFAN, although I haven't posted, everything you do, is MAGIC! When you joined this forum, it was an amazing day, and I'm extremely happy you've stayed to keep posting all that you do!
Back to top Go down
TOMFAN
TOMFAN

PostSubject: Re: TOMFAN'S Customs   TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2015 5:49 am

amagon wrote:
TOMFAN, although I haven't posted, everything you do, is MAGIC!  When you joined this forum, it was an amazing day, and I'm extremely happy you've stayed to keep posting all that you do!

Thanks very much!
Back to top Go down
TOMFAN
TOMFAN

PostSubject: Re: TOMFAN'S Customs   TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2015 6:10 am

Colbster wrote:
Another Clara? Imagine that ha ha Wink . I think you are perhaps the best customizer I have seen. No offense to anyone else's efforts, but your attention to detail, sharp sculpting and impeccable paint work sets you apart. I wonder if you could give me some tips on working with milliput? Not sure if tips should be in a different thread. Any advice on getting fresh Milliput to stick to cured Milliput?

Thank you, very much appreciated!

Are you having any specific problems with getting it to stick? It should stick to dry Milliput in exacty the same way that it does to any other surface, and it works better if you keep it damp, not wet, just lightly run the tip of your finger over it.

For small details, like zips, pockets, etc..., I press the Milliput down quite hard, because it needs to be thin for small details, and that helps it stick as well. Also, dampening your finger, and then smoothing out the edges to blend them in helps as well.

Another thing which I do, is after the Milliput is completely dry, I give it a light coat of Superglue, using the bottle that comes with the little brush.
This binds everything together, and also gives a very nice surface to paint over.

Hope this makes a sort of sense! If you have any other questions, or need any pointers, please feel free to ask away!
Back to top Go down
Colbster
Colbster

PostSubject: Re: TOMFAN'S Customs   TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2015 10:53 am

Hi. Yes, thank you. I come from a background of using mostly clay, such as Super Sculpey, Chavant, Fimo, etc. Putty is a very different animal as far as I'm concerned. My problem may be more in the way I am mixing the Milliput. I have seen users who say you can vary the consistency and cure time by altering the resin to hardener ratio a bit. I have also seen a tip of adding 5% Sculpey polymer clay to the mix for a longer working time. I have tried it and it seems to work without hindering the cure process. I know Milliput should by sticky when mixed and adhere to surfaces easily, but mine seems to not want to stick so well. I just completed a Haemovore custom (which I will post in a bit) and adding the tiny suction cup bits around the mouth was quite a pain. The little balls of putty did not want to stick. Oh well, don't want to hijack your thread anymore. Thanks for any help and advice.
Back to top Go down
TOMFAN
TOMFAN

PostSubject: Re: TOMFAN'S Customs   TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2015 11:39 am

I have heard about people changing the ratios to spped things up, but I don't think it's worth it, it goes pretty hard within a few hours anyway.

I think for the best results you are best off just using an equal amount of both parts, and making sure that it is thoroughly mixed together.

I did have a pack of white Milliput, that was so old it became unusable, no matter what I did it wouldn't blend together, or stick to anything, it was just like a crumbly chalk consistency.
Back to top Go down
TOMFAN
TOMFAN

PostSubject: Re: TOMFAN'S Customs   TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 3:47 pm

Decided to re-do my Dark Eyes Doctor. I was never happy with my old Primeval/Kudlak version, as he was too tall and broad for McGann, he looked a bit too big and butch!
So this time I modified an 8th Doctor figure instead, which meant that his size would be correct this time around.

TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 8th-Dark%20Eyes%20III-A_zpsmlqiglnj

TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 8th-Dark%20Eyes%20III-C_zpsl8pysara

TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 8th-Dark%20Eyes%20III-B_zpsj1euyaov

WIP pics:
TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 8th-Dark%20Eyes%20III-WIP-A_zpsq4sxkhvg

And while I was at it, I decided to give my Night of the Doctor figure a new head as well:

TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 8th-NotD-A_zps4cjwbzgx

TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 8th-NotD-B_zpsmtzdasrc

TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 8th-NotD%2043_zpsafpvhivm
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: TOMFAN'S Customs   TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 5:21 pm

Beautiful!
Back to top Go down
TOMFAN
TOMFAN

PostSubject: Re: TOMFAN'S Customs   TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 11:44 am

Many thanks Ron!
Back to top Go down
Captain Ironmac
Captain Ironmac

PostSubject: Re: TOMFAN'S Customs   TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 EmptyFri Aug 21, 2015 4:01 pm

looking good, you surpass has always
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: TOMFAN'S Customs   TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 EmptySat Aug 22, 2015 1:20 pm

Auughhhh....my 2 most wanted 5" figures that I will never get! Smile PERFECT!!!
Back to top Go down
TOMFAN
TOMFAN

PostSubject: Re: TOMFAN'S Customs   TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 EmptySun Aug 23, 2015 6:18 am

Cheers guys!
Back to top Go down
TOMFAN
TOMFAN

PostSubject: Re: TOMFAN'S Customs   TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 3:15 pm

The Nimon has had a bit of a touch-up:

TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 Nimon-2015-A_zpsdk45kek5

TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 Nimon-2015-B_zpsh3nvmalc
Back to top Go down
TOMFAN
TOMFAN

PostSubject: Re: TOMFAN'S Customs   TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 3:42 pm

So has the Rani:

TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 Rani-2015-A_zpsbribyhp8

TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 Rani-2015-B_zpsc8nhioaa
Back to top Go down
Captain Ironmac
Captain Ironmac

PostSubject: Re: TOMFAN'S Customs   TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 5:21 pm

very nice indeed
Back to top Go down
TOMFAN
TOMFAN

PostSubject: Re: TOMFAN'S Customs   TOMFAN'S Customs - Page 18 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2015 9:17 am

Thanks Cap!
Back to top Go down

TOMFAN'S Customs
Page 18 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next