Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeSearchRegisterLog inThe Who North America Online StoreLatest images

071 - Invasion of the Dinosaurs

Go down 
4 posters

Rate this Story (5 Stars Being Best)
1 Star
071 - Invasion of the Dinosaurs Vote_lcap0%071 - Invasion of the Dinosaurs Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
2 Star
071 - Invasion of the Dinosaurs Vote_lcap0%071 - Invasion of the Dinosaurs Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
3 Star
071 - Invasion of the Dinosaurs Vote_lcap33%071 - Invasion of the Dinosaurs Vote_rcap
 33% [ 2 ]
4 Star
071 - Invasion of the Dinosaurs Vote_lcap33%071 - Invasion of the Dinosaurs Vote_rcap
 33% [ 2 ]
5 Star
 33% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 6

AuthorMessage
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792
Registration date : 2007-02-01

071 - Invasion of the Dinosaurs Empty
PostSubject: 071 - Invasion of the Dinosaurs   071 - Invasion of the Dinosaurs EmptyWed May 01, 2013 2:17 pm

Post reviews, observations, factoids, etc, regarding this story in this topic. Do not post replies to other people's postings here. This information is being compiled for future publication. Please post your name or a suitable alias (initials, for example) for publication purposes.
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: 071 - Invasion of the Dinosaurs   071 - Invasion of the Dinosaurs EmptyThu May 02, 2013 4:33 pm

This is one of those stories where the special effects of the day, which were pretty good at the time, let the show down a bit by today's standards. Still, I gave it five stars because aside from the wonky T-Rex, this is a great serial.

The story is well written by Malcolm Hulke, one of the best writers of that era, and has a surprise plot twist in regards to one of our gallant heroes from UNIT. The drama gets pretty tense at times and the cast, especially Peter Miles and John Bennet, are superb.

I particularly love the scene in episode one, when the Doctor and Sarah are being "booked" and get their mug shots taken. The glee the Doctor takes on the absurdity of their wasted time is priceless. I like how he and Sarah pull up chairs and make themselves comfortable, too.

I really thoroughly enjoy this otherwise unloved story. Look past the rubbish T-Rex and enjoy the great drama the story tells behind it.

SeaDevil

Back to top Go down
Chuzzlewit
Chuzzlewit

Number of posts : 3864
Registration date : 2008-07-03

PostSubject: Re: 071 - Invasion of the Dinosaurs   071 - Invasion of the Dinosaurs EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 10:06 pm

New effects from the current team that does dinosaurs for Doctors 11 & 12 should come in and update this story to a Special Edition in the style of the Nicholas Briggs voice of Daleks version of Day of the Daleks. The story is innovative for it's day, and remains compelling still. But, the puppets don't serve it well.

Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: 071 - Invasion of the Dinosaurs   071 - Invasion of the Dinosaurs EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 10:13 am

This was an awesome story!! Post-apocalyptic, government corruption, ideological oppression, brainwashing, deception, espionage, kidnapping, framing and betrayal. This is the PERFECT political sci-fi thriller.

There is a big twist with one of our UNIT family members that I shall not ruin; one needs to watch to enjoy. I was thoroughly surprised when this happened, having no foreknowledge of it. I guess the whole pollution business in The Green Death really got him thinking. You can sympathise with his desire for the ends, but as the Doctor said, the ends did not justify the catastrophic means. I do hope this doesn't mean that we won't see him again though!

There's also some really, really funny scenes, like the Doctor getting stressed at everyone interrupting him, and the ending of the serial with the Doctor trying to tempt Sarah to travel with him in the TARDIS with poetry. Just brilliant. Razz

The dinosaurs were cool and I personally didn't mind the crappy effects. It didn't ruin my enjoyment of the story even in the slightest. It would be cool to see an updated special edition, but I'd probably only keep the original on my shelf.

This is an great piece of TV drama. There's a sense of real struggle and threat for the Doctor and Sarah, fighting against all odds to reveal the truth. It also has a great social commentary: we shouldn't run away from the world's problems, we should make the most of the earth we have and look after it. To quote the Doctor, "Take the world that you've got and try and make something of it. It's not too late."

All in all, this is a new favourite, and I can't understand why people don't like it that much - the bad effects are the only problem I can think of, and even then they are easy to look past when the rest of this serial is pure gold.

5/5. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com

071 - Invasion of the Dinosaurs
Page 1 of 1