0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

AuthorMessage
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792
Registration date : 2007-02-01

058 - Colony in Space Empty
PostSubject: 058 - Colony in Space   058 - Colony in Space EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 10:44 pm

Post reviews, observations, factoids, etc, regarding this story in this topic. Do not post replies to other people's postings here. This information is being compiled for future publication. Please post your name or a suitable alias (initials, for example) for publication purposes.
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: 058 - Colony in Space   058 - Colony in Space EmptyWed May 01, 2013 2:59 pm

At last! The Doctor is off to another planet! (although it is for the Time Lords...)

This story is a bit slow to start, but picks up considerably when the Adjudicator shows up. But this particular fellow always brings his "A" game...

Hard to belive that John Ringham, who plays Ashe - the leader of the colonists, is the same guy who was so deliciously evil as Tlotoxl way back in The Aztecs. Morris Perry as Captain Dent is quite excellent in his cool, calm nastiness.

Once it gets going, pretty good stuff.

SeaDevil
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: 058 - Colony in Space   058 - Colony in Space EmptySat May 31, 2014 5:35 pm

A pretty enjoyable start, tiresome and somewhat tedious middle and a very nice and heart-warming ending. I'm not sure what to make of this one. There's stuff I liked and there's stuff that I didn't!

I enjoyed seeing the Doctor get into all those fights! The first one with the primitives was especially exciting, and unexpected too!

The captain was wonderfully cast; he was stunningly convincing at being cold-hearted and selfish. I also really enjoyed Caldwell's character and I'm glad he had a happy ending!

Again, I really enjoyed the Master in this one, even if we have no idea why he's there until the last episode. He has some great scenes with the Doctor, as usual.

My favourite scene, however, was seeing the colonists had actually survived and were not on the ship when it blew up after all; when it blew up, I actually felt quite sad, so seeing them all survive and win in the end was a delight.

There are cons to this serial though. It certainly suffers from being a couple of episodes too long. The mid section of the story is very slow. I think that was probably because there were big overall questions that weren't answered until the last half of the last episode, such as what does the Master want & why is he there, why isn't the planet producing any food, etc - considering this is a six part story, not knowing key bits of information about the story throughout the majority of it made it slow and a bit hard to get through. It's worth it in the end, but it's still a major flaw.

Another problem I had was with the primitives... I feel like had they not been there, the story would hardly have changed. They were unnecessary and irrelevant most of the time, only there to basically give a reason for the doomsday weapon, making the whole 'human sacrifice' thing very unnecessary and boring.

On the whole, it's a good story. I enjoyed it. Although it can be slow at times, it's worth it for the denouement. I would certainly watch this story again, but there are certainly others I'd rather watch instead.

3/5 from me. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com

058 - Colony in Space
Page 1 of 1