LuckyPierre
Cruel Angel
Rust
Scary
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Rate S7E13: Nightmare in Silver
Fantastic!
S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_lcap27%S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 27% [ 9 ]
Good
S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_lcap30%S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 30% [ 10 ]
Okay...
S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_lcap24%S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 24% [ 8 ]
Bad
S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Awful!
S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_lcap18%S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 18% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 33

AuthorMessage
Anonymous

S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS)   S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 5:45 pm

Bring back Blakes 7! cheers
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS)   S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 7:10 pm

I like the idea myself. I am all about romance, lol. I saw the 3rd having romantic feelings for Jo, but he buried them deep. The look on his face when he learned of her engagement told the story for me. I have always believed Sarah had I would love to see the reaction of River when she finds out.
Back to top Go down
The 2nd Doctor Roberts
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS)   S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 3:52 am

Neil Gaiman was just featured on "Last Call with Carson Daly" (yes, NBC still airs that show, but don't let NBC know because I'm sure they've forgotten they air it). His appearance was mainly to promote this episode. They showed a few clips which were a bit spoilery, but nothing that should surprise anyone aware of the elements of this episode.

Gaiman said one of his life's ambitions was to write a "Doctor Who" episode, and once he had done so ("The Doctor's Wife") he felt he should just stop (writing? Wouldn't be the first Who scribe to feel that way...) but the Moff asked him to make the Cybermen scary again. We shall see...
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS)   S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 4:13 am

Judging by the preview, I think he's succeeded. If not making them scary, then making them a legitimate threat again.

I find it slightly amusing that Moffat asked him to make the Cybermen scary, when it was Moffat himself that cut the legs out from under the Cybermen in A Good Man Goes to War.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS)   S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 10:02 am

Rust wrote:
Judging by the preview, I think he's succeeded. If not making them scary, then making them a legitimate threat again.

I find it slightly amusing that Moffat asked him to make the Cybermen scary, when it was Moffat himself that cut the legs out from under the Cybermen in A Good Man Goes to War.
They really weren't that menacing in The Next Doctor, either.
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS)   S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 11:21 am

kcooper76 wrote:
SeaDevil wrote:
Invisible Supreme wrote:
Oh dear. Moffat, what have you done?

...continue to strip away the Doctor Who I once knew...layer by layer...until it becomes a program I no longer recognize...

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
guvnagrover
guvnagrover

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2012-05-06

PostSubject: Re: S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS)   S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyFri May 10, 2013 11:25 am

Spoiler Free review:

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who/25528/doctor-who-nightmare-in-silver-spoiler-free-review
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS)   S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat May 11, 2013 3:27 pm

Well... Nightmare in Silver was... Good... Bad... Not sure.

I did enjoy a lot of aspects of it. I LOVE the new Cybermen! They are superb! I love the fact that they can upgrade so quickly to face just about anything that would otherwise have stopped them dead in their tracks. The spinning head, the removable limbs and speedy running are all VERY enjoyable. I like these Cybermen a lot!

I was SOO happy to hear the 'Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel' music again. I've always loved those tracks and I think they did a nice job at giving them a new spin.

I was also VERY happy that the whole Doctor in love with Clara thing was just a hoax and was actually the possessed Doctor. Thank the Heavens.

There was lots of other things I loved, too: Warwick Davis, Cyber-chess, the Cybies' new voice, reference to comicon, the Eccleston and Tennant references and the tombs.

However, there was a lot of stuff I didn't like, too. For starters, that last line from the Doctor at the end of the episode - yes, yet another sexual reference, everybody - was once again sickening, cringe-y and outright wrong.

Didn't see enough of the Cybermen - they were absolutely badass, but honestly I don't think we saw enough of them. I thoroughly disliked those cringe-y Doctor vs. Cyber-Doctor scenes + the scenes inside his head, too. The biggest problems were probably those stupid kids and the actual plot.

Thankfully, the kids weren't in it as much as I thought they were gonna be. But what we did see of them was SO ANNOYING. I bloody hate them. Especially Angie. I really got to the point where I was hoping they would just get killed or something.

As for the plot, I don't even get it... I don't understand why the Cybermen were even there? Did I miss something? Besides that, it was just very rushed again. One minute it was all peace and fun, next minute they're at war. It's too fast for me to enjoy.

The resolution was also very crappy. Just run away and blow up the planet and that's that. How entertaining. Rolling Eyes

Overall, though, I'd say mixed feelings. There was a lot that I enjoyed in this episode - a lot more than I expected to enjoy. However, there was an equal amount of crap that I hated, too. I'd say 50% awesome, 50% crappy. So I'd say this episode was 'okay' - not overly good, not overly bad... Just inbetween.

2.5 / 5

On the bright side, though, I can't wait to see more of these awesome Cybermen. Very Happy

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Just Scott
Just Scott

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS)   S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat May 11, 2013 4:24 pm

AWFUL!!

When will this parody of a, once great, show ever end??

The children were awful actors (as ALL child actors are!!!)

The Cybermen looked like cartoon versions of Cybermen. I liked the upgrade-ability but that's it!

Next week had BETTER not stink!!!!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS)   S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat May 11, 2013 4:43 pm

I just watched it on BBC

The best Cyberman story since Earthshock!!!!!!

I can't wait to watch it again on BBCA!!

WOW
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS)   S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat May 11, 2013 6:15 pm

It was a great story, but there was one problem.

"Okay, let's go home!"

"No, not yet."

"Well, how about the kids wait in the TARDIS? We don't know what's around out here."

How come Clara DIDN'T think that?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS)   S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat May 11, 2013 6:32 pm

jaredofmo wrote:
It was a great story, but there was one problem.

"Okay, let's go home!"

"No, not yet."

"Well, how about the kids wait in the TARDIS? We don't know what's around out here."

How come Clara DIDN'T think that?

For the last fifty years the doctor has said....

"What ever you do, stay here!"

Do the companions do what he says, never because if they did there would be no story lol
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS)   S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat May 11, 2013 6:45 pm

The title of one great review is

Doctor Who: Nightmare in Silver – series 33, episode 12

The Cybermen are back – and scary for the first time since the 60s, thanks to a whimsical but effective script from Neil Gaiman

And I agree!!!!
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS)   S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat May 11, 2013 7:59 pm

I must agree. They were indeed quite scary at times. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS)   S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat May 11, 2013 8:07 pm

Scary wrote:
I must agree. They were indeed quite scary at times. Very Happy

Indeed.... as I said the best episode since Earthshock!

Those Cybermen were totally awesome - FINALLY!
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS)   S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat May 11, 2013 9:15 pm

Awful for me. Out of all the clunkers this series, I'd have to say this was the worst ep so far.

I thoughT Gaiman's purpose was to make the Cybermen scary again. So much for that.

I thought the scenes inside the Doc's mind were very well done. They had a great mood, and some sinister acting from the 'planner'. Problem was- way less of these scenes, and way too much of Doc-cutus doing his Smeagol/ Gollum bit. They just can't get away from the goofy, funny man.

Only other plus for me was Clara. Highly competent, and good chemistry with Porridge.

The bad. It seemed the Cybies were even more ineffectual than in previous Nu Who. They didn't even kill anyone. Even being attacked by the Cybermites, no big deal. They are just comatose. Everything can be undone. So where's the threat? None.

What's the big kill for the Cybermen now? An EMP. Wow. That's so original.

The upgrade on the fly to handle threats? Another great innovation. *puts cover over my ST TNG collection*. Yup, never seen that before...

Sorry Gaiman. Doc's Wife was terrific, but this one was terrible.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS)   S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat May 11, 2013 9:21 pm

The best episode featuring the Cybermen since Earthshock and so far the reviews from the forum has been negative. I just don't get it lol

I'm even more excited with next weeks episode coming up and then the 50th special!! This series did start kind of slow but its getting better and better each week - I hope next week won't be an anticlimax but I can't see it being such because of the way the series has been building up.

I can honestly say after being a fan of Doctor Who since 1987, going through the wilderness years and feeling underwhelmed with the newwho revamping for the first time I am excited!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS)   S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat May 11, 2013 9:40 pm

Loved it. As a Cyberman junkie, it's hard to disappoint in that regard, but overall this episode had a lot right with it.

The Cyberman upgrades are comprehensive and competent. These really did feel like the "survivors" of a thousand year "hibernation" who have been learning from their past mistakes. The new Cyberman voice is a lot easier to understand and all in all just a vastly more effective version of the Cyberman.

The Cyber Planner was a treat. A cybernetic entity playing around with brand new neural interfaces. Matt Smith did a great job of alternating between the two personalities and making the Cyber Planner menacing without being a cold, unfeeling machine.

Logic Trap - loved it.

Warwick Davis was amazing - as usual. It really is a crime that his height restricts his roles so much. The man is a brilliant actor and deserves more credit then he gets. The quiet resignation in his voice when he activated the Decimator spoke volumes to his character.

I really do not understand the hate of this episode. This was a high point for the Season and a triumphant return of a classic villain who has been in a existential limbo since Doomsday. Clara is amazingly competent, akin to Sarah Jane or Donna in her ability to adapt to her surroundings and situations without batting an eye. I doubt Amy, Martha, or Rose would have assuming leadership role as quickly as she did. I really like her as a companion - she compliments the Doctor well.

I'd say Nightmare in Silver ranks up there with Aslyum of the Daleks and Hide as my favorites of Season Seven. Looking forward to The Name of the Doctor.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS)   S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat May 11, 2013 9:50 pm

Rust wrote:
Loved it. As a Cyberman junkie, it's hard to disappoint in that regard, but overall this episode had a lot right with it.

The Cyberman upgrades are comprehensive and competent. These really did feel like the "survivors" of a thousand year "hibernation" who have been learning from their past mistakes. The new Cyberman voice is a lot easier to understand and all in all just a vastly more effective version of the Cyberman.

The Cyber Planner was a treat. A cybernetic entity playing around with brand new neural interfaces. Matt Smith did a great job of alternating between the two personalities and making the Cyber Planner menacing without being a cold, unfeeling machine.

Logic Trap - loved it.

Warwick Davis was amazing - as usual. It really is a crime that his height restricts his roles so much. The man is a brilliant actor and deserves more credit then he gets. The quiet resignation in his voice when he activated the Decimator spoke volumes to his character.

I really do not understand the hate of this episode. This was a high point for the Season and a triumphant return of a classic villain who has been in a existential limbo since Doomsday. Clara is amazingly competent, akin to Sarah Jane or Donna in her ability to adapt to her surroundings and situations without batting an eye. I doubt Amy, Martha, or Rose would have assuming leadership role as quickly as she did. I really like her as a companion - she compliments the Doctor well.

I'd say Nightmare in Silver ranks up there with Aslyum of the Daleks and Hide as my favorites of Season Seven. Looking forward to The Name of the Doctor.

Finally someone I can agree with, the voices were very classic much more scary and the Cybermites creepy much more so than the Mats lol

I have always thought the Borg in Star Trek were a better take on the Cybermen well now the cybermen can upgrade finally!!!!!
Back to top Go down
stetsons_are_cool7
stetsons_are_cool7

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2012-02-20

PostSubject: Re: S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS)   S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat May 11, 2013 10:16 pm

I couldn't help feeling that this would have worked better as a Seventh Doctor story with Sylv playing chess with "himself" and Sophie leading a band of troopers against an army of Cybermen.

Matt was brilliant as was most of the cast. The plot may be a little dubious, but Gaiman really nailed the voice and character of the Doctor.

I too cringed at the last lines of the Doctor's.
Back to top Go down
http://creativecritic.blogspot.com/
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS)   S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySat May 11, 2013 11:39 pm

stetsons_are_cool7 wrote:

I too cringed at the last lines of the Doctor's.

Why?

Smith said them in the Cyberplanner voice - it seemed pretty obvious it was nothing more then lingering after effects of half his brain being converted. He even slapped himself for added emphasis.
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS)   S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySun May 12, 2013 1:45 am

Good stuff:

• The new Cybermen are cool. They look great.
• Clara in command was fun, even if there are times when I don't actually believe her as a real human being not even for a second.
• Warwick Davis! He was fantastic. And does he ever age? Sheesh.
• The Cyber Planner/Doctor duel. That was fun. Matt is good at being evil.
• Clara figuring out the Doctor isn't himself because he admits to loving her. Pretty great.
• The setting was fun. I don't think it was as fully utilized/realized as it could have been... but that's down to budget, I'm sure.

Not great stuff:
• I feel like the series is looking a bit cheap. This is something I give Doctor Who a great deal of leeway on, but there's something about either the set design, the way it's lit or.... something... that just gives the series a slightly tacky feel that I am a bit surprised by.
• Golden ticket... made of actual gold? The whole gold thing never made much sense. it makes even less sense here. I was mostly willing to go with it for the sake of nostalgia though.
• The "quick" Cyberman effect - the idea is cool. The execution seemed a bit silly.

Bad stuff:
• The children. Oh, the terrible child acting! Doctor Who has done so well up until now. And their presence was pretty much pointless in the end, other than to be captured.
• Expectations. Huge Gaiman fan. My expectations were pretty through the roof. This didn't meet them. That might not be fair, but there it is.
• The Cybermen as a threat. Still pretty low, to be honest. The actual Cybermen themselves had new tricks but didn't seem all that scary to me, to be honest. Nor were they that formidable. I mean, they were fighting a bunch of military rejects and still had a hard time of it despite superior forces, even before the Doctor shuts them down.
Back to top Go down
Invisible Supreme
Invisible Supreme

Number of posts : 2167
Registration date : 2010-03-16

PostSubject: Re: S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS)   S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySun May 12, 2013 10:06 am

For the first time since watching the new episodes, I thought this one stunk. The kids were annoying, deadweight part of the show, the new cybermen are borg wannabes (Though I do like their new look, and how they can detach parts of their bodies, which is pretty cool) And most of the other characters weren't that great, either. The story was way-too fast paced, and it would have been done more justice as a two-parter. I also thought it needed a touch of grimness, it was too light-hearted IMO, maybe kill off the kids and have Clara become a wanted criminal back on earth. EDIT: Forgot to add....they got out of the whole situation waaaay too easily, too..
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS)   S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySun May 12, 2013 10:19 am

davro wrote:

I have always thought the Borg in Star Trek were a better take on the Cybermen well now the cybermen can upgrade finally!!!!!

Given how much the Borg borrowed from the Cybermen, it's satisfying to see that going the other way here. Besides, who didn't get a slight chill when they fired the gun only to slightly knock back the Cyberman and then hear:

"Up-Grade In...PROGRESS."
Back to top Go down
Ted47
Ted47

Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2012-02-02

PostSubject: Re: S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS)   S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySun May 12, 2013 10:20 am

I've always liked the Cybermen better than the Daleks. But this was not the case here.
Intersting ideas that went nowhere. Not scary enough. A middle of the road episode for me.
Back to top Go down

S7E13: Nightmare in Silver (SPOILERS)
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next