Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeSearchRegisterLog inThe Who North America Online StoreLatest images

021 - The Daleks' Master Plan

Go down 
3 posters

Rate this Story (5 Stars Being Best)
1 Star
021 - The Daleks' Master Plan Vote_lcap0%021 - The Daleks' Master Plan Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
2 Star
021 - The Daleks' Master Plan Vote_lcap0%021 - The Daleks' Master Plan Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
3 Star
 0% [ 0 ]
4 Star
021 - The Daleks' Master Plan Vote_lcap67%021 - The Daleks' Master Plan Vote_rcap
 67% [ 4 ]
5 Star
021 - The Daleks' Master Plan Vote_lcap33%021 - The Daleks' Master Plan Vote_rcap
 33% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 6

AuthorMessage
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792
Registration date : 2007-02-01

021 - The Daleks' Master Plan Empty
PostSubject: 021 - The Daleks' Master Plan   021 - The Daleks' Master Plan EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 9:52 am

Post reviews, observations, factoids, etc, regarding this story in this topic. Do not post replies to other people's postings here. This information is being compiled for future publication. Please post your name or a suitable alias (initials, for example) for publication purposes.
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: 021 - The Daleks' Master Plan   021 - The Daleks' Master Plan EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 10:24 am

It's a crying shame that only 1/4 of this story still exists for viewing. Thankfully, the entire soundtrack is available to listen to.

To call this serial "epic" is an understatement. Twelve parts. The death of Katarina. A cast of characters you're never quite sure if you can trust. The return of the Meddling Monk. Oh...and Daleks. Lots of Daleks. However, Kevin Stoney is the real star of this for me. Mavic Chen is a great villain.

I do find it a bit long and padded, though. Still...pretty good stuff.

SeaDevil
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: 021 - The Daleks' Master Plan   021 - The Daleks' Master Plan EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 10:23 pm

This was immensely good! The Daleks plotting to invade and conquer an entire galaxy... What's not to like? It was really well done and exciting. I wish we'd have actually seen the Daleks begin the invasion but nonetheless, it was still a lot of fun to watch. The war council was cool and Mavic Chen was an interesting character. I LOVED that the Daleks just walked in on their final meeting, called it off and then rounded them up for execution... That is pure Dalek evil right there. Brilliantly done.

There was a genuine sense of threat throughout the whole story, the Daleks were convincing and certainly the deaths are surprsing. I didn't really like Katarina but her death was still emotional. Steven and Sara were great together and I would have loved to have seen her become a full-time companion, so her departure was sad - especially in that creepy fashion... Reduced to mere dust. It was moving to watch, in an eerie way.

This is a really well thought out story, and although lengthy, it didn't feel that way to me. It felt paced and kept me engaged throughout. The only time I wasn't enjoying myself was during 'The Feast of Steven'... That really was a terrible mess of an episode. It contributed nothing to the story and it ruined the feel and atmosphere the previous few episodes had created. But then I guess it was the Christmas special, so they had to be lighthearted. Ah well, I didn't let it spoil my enjoyment of the rest of the story, I just pretended it didn't happen... Razz

Great to see the Meddling Monk return! That was a pleasant surprise indeed! Also, when the TARDIS crew landed in ancient Egypt, I was worried that it was going to become a bit slow and boring, but actually it was very fun to watch as the Daleks, the Monk and Chen arrived to join in with the shenanigans rather than it turn into another 'historical' where they merely get captured and the whole 'story' is just them trying to escape... I feared it was going to get a bit mundane, but it certainly wasn't!

This was the first time I actually exclaimed "YES!" when there was a full episode. Whilst watching previous serials and there has been a complete episode, I've been pretty pleased, but since I was enjoying this story so much I was extremely happy that there was some full footage when there was. Although it's a tragedy that we can't see the whole thing, I'm happy that we at least have what we do. I hope more still exists and is found in the future though.

Brilliant story. Highly recommended. Probably my favourite so far, even despite that weird Christmas episode... Razz 5 out of 5. cheers Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com

021 - The Daleks' Master Plan
Page 1 of 1