22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

General Star Trek thread - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 10 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 10:24 pm

That was an awesome scene!
Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

Number of posts : 1274
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 10 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 1:47 am

That Q reaction pretty much sums up Sisko's style compared to Picard and Janeway. Picard will talk to Q and complain about him. Janeway will roll her eyes and argue with him. Sisko smacked him up, and Q didn't want any of Sisko after that. Cause Sisko doesn't have time for Q's s*%. He'll f%$ you up quicker than 'space cowboy' Jim Kirk would have.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 10 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 7:50 am

General Star Trek thread - Page 10 MaVlxBI
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 10 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 11:07 am

You have to admit, though; someone could make a racism argument of it. The white people try reason. The black guy gets violent.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 10 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 11:34 am

I don't think so.  Kirk was pretty aggressive, too.

Even so, Sisko was in an entirely different situation on DS9 than most folks have on their comfy Starships behind enemy lines.  

Also...Sisko is quite a reasonable, peaceful person who more often than Janeway or Picard was pushed into situations which required drastic measures to keep the entire Federation at peace. In fact, he wasn't just protecting his Starship like them...he was protecting the entire quadrant from an almost unbeatable foe set on invasion and domination.

He has a LOT more riding on his shoulders.

The comparison between Picard and Sisko facing Q is a joke and even then, Sisko didn't hit Q right away...besides...it was Q who conjured up the boxing match and Sisko didn't want to fight him...

"Takes on twenty thousand Starships...and wins" refers to him leading the Federation/Klingon/Romulan fleets to ward off a Dominion invasion.  There is no chance of talking or discussion with the Founders - unless it is your unconditional surrender.

So, no...I can't admit or agree with that at all.  It's not as simple as that.
Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 10 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 7:22 pm

The race argument doesn't hold water for me. Sisko was more of a military commander than Picard or janeway. He was closer to the Kirk mold, which reflects the time period. Kirk was captain during a Cold War with the Klingons. Likewise, sisko's experience with the Borg effected him in a similar way.
Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 10 EmptySun Jun 08, 2014 5:43 am

Watching Squire of Gothos, and it hit me. Imagine this: Star Trek 3 in 2016, starring Tom Hiddleston as Trelane.

Then, due to it being the 50th anniversary, at the end of the film, a super secret appearance is made by JOHN DE LANCIE AS Q. They can even have Q give Kirk a glimpse of his prime timeline counterpart, a la Picard's alternate timeline in Tapestry.

What do you think? Should they go back to exploration of alien creatures, or have another 'bad guy with a super ship' storyline? I just think that after 2 movies of a Bad Guy Threat (actually all the ST movies since 4), they should change it up a bit.

There were plenty of 'exploration' based adventures in the prime timeline, not just 'bad guy of the week' stories. Trek has such a potential for thought provoking sci fi, I think it does a dis-service to limit it to cliched villains. Now I appreciated both of JJ's Trek films for what they were, but I would recommend something new. Unfortunately, Paramount wants to keep it simple, as they were scared away by V'Ger and Sha'Ka'Ree. Which is a shame, as the problems with those films were more in the execution, rather than the concepts. They failed, but failed while reaching for something great.
Back to top Go down
Ted47
Ted47

Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2012-02-02

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 10 EmptySun Jun 08, 2014 10:43 am

They should do one with the K'zinti (sp) ala the animiated series. I loved that episode.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 10 EmptySun Jun 08, 2014 10:56 am

Now I know that many don't feel the same way, but my favorite of the TNG films was Insurrection. Why? Because to me it it had the feel of a TNG episode.

I might be wrong, because who knows what studio execs think and all...I think the issue is that these people think that because it is a movie- it needs to be epic, tons of action and FX... essentially something that is beyond what you do with an episode of a tv series. Even though it was the tv series that made the franchise successful, the films have to be more of a spectacle and have big bad enemies to fight instead of poking around planets and meeting new civilizations.

Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 10 EmptySun Jun 08, 2014 12:52 pm

mattmanw54301 wrote:
Watching Squire of Gothos, and it hit me. Imagine this: Star Trek 3 in 2016, starring Tom Hiddleston as Trelane...

I think that sounds excellent. The episodes where they had to think their way out of a planetside situation were always my favorites.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 10 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 8:35 pm

Cruel Angel wrote:

Now I know that many don't feel the same way, but my favorite of the TNG films was Insurrection. Why? Because to me it it had the feel of a TNG episode.

I might be wrong, because who knows what studio execs think and all...I think the issue is that these people think that because it is a movie- it needs to be epic, tons of action and FX... essentially something that is beyond what you do with an episode of a tv series. Even though it was the tv series that made the franchise successful, the films have to be more of a spectacle and have big bad enemies to fight instead of poking around planets and meeting new civilizations.

Because first contact films tend to make for very boring movies to general audiences. I loved Contact, but I also fully understand why it bombed hard at the box office.

I just want Paramount to understand why Star Trek IV was the most successful of the franchise. It was the byplay between characters in a fish out of water setting. It was funny, it was touching, it wasn't successful because of the whales. The present cast has enough chemistry together I really think they could do a STIV style film. Heck, in that instance bring in the Guardian of Forever...or a madman with a box.

As for Insurrection, I didn't like it because of the same reason I dislike all the TNG era films. They flat out ignore continuity. Picard's sudden desire with the Bak'u flies entirely in the face of his stance with the Maquis.

Plus, the immortality of 600 people vs medical advancements that would benefit the whole of the galaxy. Ru'afo wasn't even the bad guy - willing the peacefully and harmlessly relocate the people that exiled him simply for not embracing their Elf Amish ways. Even after Picard lead his stupid resistance, Ru'afo was using transporter darts. He wasn't killing anyone.

I used to like Insurrection well enough. Now it just makes me mad. Picard gets his moral victory and the Alien Jonestown survives and the galaxy as a whole is a dimmer place because of it.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 10 EmptyThu Feb 05, 2015 10:18 pm

saw this ...thought it was interesting...thoughts anyone???
General Star Trek thread - Page 10 OTM-Post-Trek-Roles
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2485
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 10 EmptyFri Feb 06, 2015 12:23 am

Yeh, who is Danny Crane and where the heck is TJ Hooker!?!

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 10 EmptyFri Feb 06, 2015 12:54 am

squishy wrote:
Yeh, who is Danny Crane and where the heck is TJ Hooker!?!

He's the man with Mad Cow!
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 10 EmptyFri Feb 06, 2015 11:50 am

I liked Brent Spiner better in Out to Sea.  It was waaaaay funnier, he put on an hilariously great accent, and he even sung!!

This would need to updated to include Scott Bakula in CSI: New Orleans.  He's great!

In addition to Shatner, Rene Auberjonois was also excellent in Boston Legal.
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 10 EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 1:17 pm

First shot of the Star Trek TOS ReAction figures

General Star Trek thread - Page 10 10983390_10104693716281760_4147236377399744563_n
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 10 EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 1:25 pm

So when are we getting Syd and Marty Krofft figures in this line? I wanta Sleestak!
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 10 EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 1:39 pm

Those are great, jonwes! I can't wait! I love the ones they've done for Alien.
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 10 EmptyWed Mar 11, 2015 9:59 am

This guy shows the original look for the Enterprise CAN look good in modern times.
http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/10/8185787/star-trek-original-enterprise-new-movies#
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 10 EmptyFri Oct 02, 2015 12:44 pm

Watched the two latest Star Trek fan films recently. Freely available on Youtube. No big spoilers below.

Star Trek Continues "The White Iris" - The one that has Colin Baker as a guest star. He only got a day to participate so his character is a little limited, but does pop up throughout the episode. Mr. Baker does fine. The rest of the episode is just as well written and professional as the previous episodes have been. It does have a bit of TOS references so you need to know your original Trek to fully understand the episode. But otherwise it's every bit as good as you'd hope that a 4th series would have been. Feels very much like Gene Roddenberry is still producing and good sci-fi by having some underlying messages (and not just space adventure).

Star Trek Renegades - It's got the real Chekov playing a 140-year old version of himself! (I'm not joking, he states his age as 140 in the episode). Also Tim Russ and Robert Picardo are there reprising their old characters. Everything sounds great so far. But then the story ends up being a dark and dirty future with corruption throughout the Federation. All that Division 13 nonsense that conspiracy theory buffs enjoy so much. It's well made for a fan film, but the story is just shooting and kicking people in space. Not very deep and not very Gene Roddenberry. As this is a pilot for a longer series I hope the tone would change to better match the rest of the Star Trek franchises.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 10 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 11:54 pm

I suppose we have all seen that CBS is going to do a new Star Trek series in Jan, 2017. One episode broadcast, then all the rest on their new streaming service. I do not like watching TV or movies on a small screen, so unless I can run this through my big screen TV, I will wait for the Blue Ray set!
Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 10 EmptyTue Nov 03, 2015 6:11 am

Dunno about this. Will need to see details. Will it be another Enterprise? A star base? Which timeline? Which era?
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 10 EmptySat Nov 07, 2015 3:32 pm

It will be through their streaming service... which you have to have a paid subscription to.

Word is the pilot will be on regular TV.
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 10 EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 10:31 pm

Ronpur wrote:
squishy wrote:
Ronpur wrote:
Received my Prelude to Axanar donors package today.  So I am watching the DVD.

This is BRILLIANT!!  Best Star Trek in years!

Any news on how much closer they're getting to a full production?

I keep seeing the sets being built.  They filmed some Axanar  “Heroes” vignettes on the New Voyages Enterprise bridge set.  Not sure what those are:

General Star Trek thread - Page 10 LoRes15r178f065-copy_zpsizznr7rp

By the way, the bridge set is in Oklahoma City, and was originally from the Starship Exeter online series.  It was donated by those folks, and found it's way to a warehouse, where the owner lets them keep it free because he is a big Star Trek fan....if they mow the grass.  It is used by several fan films and is now a full 360 degree set.

http://www.starbasestudios.net/
Interesting to see what became of the Starship Exeter sets.  They were pretty good for fan films and the sets were fantastic.  It doesn't look like they're continuing so its nice that the Exeter folks are sharing with others (even if it took a ton of refurbishment).

I did see that a new Star Trek Continues is up on Youtube.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 10 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:36 am

I don't think Exeter even finished their last episode, did they?

I contributed more to Axanar, enough to get a blu-ray of the 1st episode. They have now funded 2 episodes and almost have 3 paid for.

I really like how these fan groups have been working together, just like Gene would have wanted.

It really seems to me it is like an evolution of the fan based stories and fanzines we had in the 70's.
Fans creating their own stories, since they didn't get what they wanted from the network. Except they get the real cast members!

I hope they are always allowed to continue.

Back to top Go down

General Star Trek thread
Page 10 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next