17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
CGren123
CGren123

Number of posts : 2368
Registration date : 2009-12-23

SPOILER: Something is returning... Empty
PostSubject: SPOILER: Something is returning...   SPOILER: Something is returning... EmptyTue May 22, 2012 9:52 am

Right, a while back, a trusted site reported that two classic monsters would be returning in Series 7. We've had the rumours of Yetis Yeti and Zygons. Both would be amazing (provided they aren't redesigned too much) but this report offers a new contender of....

THE ICE WARRIORS!

I hope this is the case, as I love the Ice Warriors and have been hoping for a reappearance. The only thing I'm worried about is if they get a major redesign.

What do you think?

Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER: Something is returning...   SPOILER: Something is returning... EmptyTue May 22, 2012 10:09 am

Yes! The Ice Warriors are something I've wanted to see again for a while.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER: Something is returning...   SPOILER: Something is returning... EmptyTue May 22, 2012 10:21 am

Brilliant news! I just hope they aren't ruined, that's all. Razz
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER: Something is returning...   SPOILER: Something is returning... EmptyTue May 22, 2012 11:04 am

With the track record the present production team have, yes they will be red dwarves with dayglo orange fur coats on. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER: Something is returning...   SPOILER: Something is returning... EmptyTue May 22, 2012 11:18 am

I can just keep my claws crossed that they do one right for a change.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER: Something is returning...   SPOILER: Something is returning... EmptyTue May 22, 2012 11:54 am

Moff will just ruin them like he did the Silurians and the Daleks. I should be excited, but I'm disappointed instead.
Back to top Go down
Redfern
Redfern

Number of posts : 1208
Registration date : 2009-02-13

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER: Something is returning...   SPOILER: Something is returning... EmptyTue May 22, 2012 3:34 pm

SeaDevil wrote:
Moff will just ruin them like he did...the Daleks.

Nothing more than just idle speculation on my part (and a bit of a friendly "jab" at the "Moff"), but I wonder when he was a child, did Moffett draw Daleks with somewhat distorted proportions (as many people can easily do) and was teased for their inaccuracies? These "New Paradigm" Daleks could be his "revenge". I can picture him in his producer's office muttering, "So, they laughed at my drawings as a child, eh? They claimed, 'Daleks don't look like that.' Well, guess what? They do now! Their drawings are now the one that don't look right! Who's laughing now?! Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!"

Sincerely,

Bill
Back to top Go down
http://www.mzzkiti.com
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER: Something is returning...   SPOILER: Something is returning... EmptyTue May 22, 2012 4:17 pm

Well, we know the Dalek episode is first next series. So everyone will be upset about that again. By the time everyone is quieted down from that, the Ice Warrior episode will be on, and everyone will be in an uprage again.

Moffat, always scheduling series accordingly.
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER: Something is returning...   SPOILER: Something is returning... EmptyTue May 22, 2012 4:32 pm

Yeah... doctorwhospoilers.com mentioned this back in March (they even stated that Greg Davies, who is like 7 feet tall, is playing the leader) but I lost interest when I saw the phrase "radical redesign". After the Daleks and Silurains I'm expecting the worst. Hoping that I love it, but not getting my hopes up.
Back to top Go down
CGren123
CGren123

Number of posts : 2368
Registration date : 2009-12-23

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER: Something is returning...   SPOILER: Something is returning... EmptyTue May 22, 2012 4:59 pm

rdks wrote:
Yeah... doctorwhospoilers.com mentioned this back in March (they even stated that Greg Davies, who is like 7 feet tall, is playing the leader) but I lost interest when I saw the phrase "radical redesign". After the Daleks and Silurains I'm expecting the worst. Hoping that I love it, but not getting my hopes up.

Oh gods, another radical redesign? What's wrong with keeping something as is. The Ice Warrior design is brilliant and would stand up to today's audience just as well as it did all those years ago when they first appeared! What is wrong with Moffat?

Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER: Something is returning...   SPOILER: Something is returning... EmptyTue May 22, 2012 5:22 pm

CGren123 wrote:
The Ice Warrior design is brilliant and would stand up to today's audience just as well as it did all those years ago when they first appeared!
They do need to "update" it slightly, similar to what RTD did to the Daleks & Sontarans. The costumes need a re-engineering to allow more comfort & better movement for the actors inside. I also think the hands need some tweaking. But other than that, most of it, especially the head, should stay the same.

I read from another source that they're keeping the turtle-shell style armour, but it's something the Warriors put on. We'll be seeing what they look like without it. Though I can't remember where I read it or if that source has any credibility.
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER: Something is returning...   SPOILER: Something is returning... EmptyWed May 23, 2012 12:23 am

SeaDevil wrote:
Moff will just ruin them like he did the Silurians and the Daleks. I should be excited, but I'm disappointed instead.

Or the Cybusmen RTD did.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER: Something is returning...   SPOILER: Something is returning... EmptyWed May 23, 2012 12:32 am

The Castellan wrote:
SeaDevil wrote:

Or the Cybusmen RTD did.

Yup. Everyone seems to ignore he's the one that 'ruined' most of these nuwho re-designs, and certainly the daleks were 'ruined' before this era...I'd say sometime around their 2nd appearance in the new series, from which point they would pop up constantly. If anything, the past couple years has helped them by giving them less attention.
Back to top Go down
Redfern
Redfern

Number of posts : 1208
Registration date : 2009-02-13

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER: Something is returning...   SPOILER: Something is returning... EmptyWed May 23, 2012 1:06 pm

RTD may have "ruined" the Daleks from repeated exposure (but that may have been part of the contract deal with the Nation estate), but it certainly was NOT from a flawed and awkward redesign. The Daleks never looked better once we saw the heavily "armored, bronze" in the Eccleston series. They kept the classic symmetry and proportions; they just looked more "solid". They honestly looked like they'd make the resonant "CLANG!" we heard in "Victory of the Daleks" when Matt Smith beat upon one with an oversized spanner.

Sincerely,

Bill
Back to top Go down
http://www.mzzkiti.com
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER: Something is returning...   SPOILER: Something is returning... EmptyWed May 23, 2012 4:11 pm

Great news that the Ice Warriors might be returning, once again a little bit of excitement for the upcoming series due to a classic monster being reintroduced. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I am not disappointed with them like I was with the Silurians, multicolored Daleks, Cybusmen and the master.... Oh well this might be the time I say "WOW, now this is what I call Doctor Who".
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER: Something is returning...   SPOILER: Something is returning... EmptyWed May 23, 2012 4:49 pm

Redfern wrote:
RTD may have "ruined" the Daleks from repeated exposure (but that may have been part of the contract deal with the Nation estate), but it certainly was NOT from a flawed and awkward redesign. The Daleks never looked better once we saw the heavily "armored, bronze" in the Eccleston series. They kept the classic symmetry and proportions; they just looked more "solid". They honestly looked like they'd make the resonant "CLANG!" we heard in "Victory of the Daleks" when Matt Smith beat upon one with an oversized spanner.

Sincerely,

Bill

Well, I'm going on about the design of the Cybusmen, really, and their mentality.

I think their number of appearances had to do with Nation, it's similar to the post genesis stories, where Nation said all Daleks stories from that time onwards HAS to have Davros, or something like that.

Only thing the RTD Daleks had that bugged me was the colors, wish they were silver or gray like the classics.

Though the Master was a bit.....over the top, like a Saturday morning cartoon character.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER: Something is returning...   SPOILER: Something is returning... EmptyWed May 23, 2012 5:11 pm

The Castellan wrote:
Redfern wrote:

Sincerely,

Bill
Though the Master was a bit.....over the top, like a Saturday morning cartoon character.

I agree

The master did not come across with equal or higher intelligence as the Doctor, he was not menacing or evil, more like the Joker from the BatMan cartoons. A very sad situation indeed, I have all the series of the New Doctor Who on DVD but cant bring myself to watch them, Matt Smiths seasons have been much better but still room for improvement.
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER: Something is returning...   SPOILER: Something is returning... EmptyWed May 23, 2012 5:41 pm

kcooper76 wrote:
The Castellan wrote:
SeaDevil wrote:

Or the Cybusmen RTD did.

Yup. Everyone seems to ignore he's the one that 'ruined' most of these nuwho re-designs, and certainly the daleks were 'ruined' before this era...I'd say sometime around their 2nd appearance in the new series, from which point they would pop up constantly. If anything, the past couple years has helped them by giving them less attention.

I liked both the Cybusmen and the RTD Daleks, but like you said, only in their first one or two stories. After that they became boring.
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER: Something is returning...   SPOILER: Something is returning... EmptyWed May 23, 2012 5:52 pm

Scary wrote:

I liked both the Cybusmen and the RTD Daleks, but like you said, only in their first one or two stories. After that they became boring.

...and I nearly would have forgotten the Master had Castellan not mentioned it... surely you can't 'ruin' a classic character further than that.

My point is, there's no reason to be ready to dislike something you haven't seen or know much about yet.
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER: Something is returning...   SPOILER: Something is returning... EmptyWed May 23, 2012 6:11 pm

kcooper76 wrote:
My point is, there's no reason to be ready to dislike something you haven't seen or know much about yet.
True, but I've found - especially when it comes to Moffat - that it's better to assume it's bad and be pleasantly surprised when it's not than to think it's going to be awesome and be disappointed when it isn't.

Believe me, I really, really hope they look awesome and are given a great story. They're one of my favourite monsters and the ones I've been waiting for to show up since the show re-started. But the track record for Classic monsters in the new series hasn't been great lately.
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER: Something is returning...   SPOILER: Something is returning... EmptyWed May 23, 2012 6:34 pm

Scary wrote:
kcooper76 wrote:
The Castellan wrote:
SeaDevil wrote:

Or the Cybusmen RTD did.

If the Cybusmen were a one off, just used for those 2, season 2 stories, that would be fine, alternate universe and all. But when these guys kept showing up, over and over, no....just no. Plus I refuse to believe Lumic made THAT many Cybusmen. Be nice to see the Cybermen, whom came from Mondas, come back after 24 years, and not just as some head in some balding Illuminate wannabe's collection. And if they simply go and use the Cybus costumes and go, "these are what the Cybermen in our universe look like, now!" would be so pathetic, even the word cop-out could not describe it.

And yes, the NuSeries Master is sorta like the Joker, with with a hint of Rip Taylor, perhaps...and a demented Pac-Man in End of Time.
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER: Something is returning...   SPOILER: Something is returning... EmptyWed May 23, 2012 10:49 pm

oh I would like a proper ice warrior story- and ya know why not visit paladin again...I miss Alpha Centuri...sniff
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER: Something is returning...   SPOILER: Something is returning... EmptyWed May 23, 2012 10:57 pm

Big finish have used the ice warriors a few times and they have not taken away anything from the originals.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER: Something is returning...   SPOILER: Something is returning... EmptyWed May 23, 2012 11:24 pm

All hopes that the writers for the show will do them justice. And they don't do some freaky-weird redesign, though those baddies could use a makeover.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER: Something is returning...   SPOILER: Something is returning... EmptyWed May 23, 2012 11:38 pm

jaredofmo wrote:
All hopes that the writers for the show will do them justice. And they don't do some freaky-weird redesign, though those baddies could use a makeover.

I agree. Sad
Back to top Go down

SPOILER: Something is returning...
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next