Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeSearchRegisterLog inThe Who North America Online StoreLatest images

Which classic villain would you like to see brought back?

Go down 
+8
Rust
jaredofmo
mysterylad
rdks
Cruel Angel
SeaDevil
Ronpur
CGren123
12 posters
AuthorMessage
CGren123
CGren123

Number of posts : 2368
Registration date : 2009-12-23

Which classic villain would you like to see brought back? Empty
PostSubject: Which classic villain would you like to see brought back?   Which classic villain would you like to see brought back? EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 8:34 am

Each year, Russell T Davis and Steven Moffat has tried to bring at least one classic villain. So far, we've had Daleks, Cybermen, Macra, the Master, the Sontarans, the Silurians (sort of) and the Cybermats.

So I'm asking what would you like to see in Series 7 and beyond?

Personally, I'd love to see Ogrons brought back for at least one episode. I'd also like to see an episode that focuses on the War between the Sontarans and the Rutans. We've heard about it, but we've never actually seen the two of them in the same (canon) episode.

Fire away, folks!
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Which classic villain would you like to see brought back?   Which classic villain would you like to see brought back? EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 8:54 am

Zygons!!!
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Which classic villain would you like to see brought back?   Which classic villain would you like to see brought back? EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 8:55 am

After the way the Silurians were ruined, the Master being made into a clown, and the new Mighty Morphin Power Daleks, I vote no more classic villains or monsters. I don't have faith in their being done properly.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Which classic villain would you like to see brought back?   Which classic villain would you like to see brought back? EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 9:09 am

The Rani- as a serious recurring threat to the Doc

The Meddling Monk- as a fun annoying pest

Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Which classic villain would you like to see brought back?   Which classic villain would you like to see brought back? EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 9:35 am

SeaDevil wrote:
After the way the Silurians were ruined, the Master being made into a clown, and the new Mighty Morphin Power Daleks, I vote no more classic villains or monsters. I don't have faith in their being done properly.
This.
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1660
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Which classic villain would you like to see brought back?   Which classic villain would you like to see brought back? EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 9:46 am

SeaDevil wrote:

The Silurians weren't ruined: the Doctor mentions that the new Silurians were only one branch of the species, so the classic versions are still out there, somewhere. And the new Dalek design, well, it's just a design...it doesn't actually change the characters any (except that, presumably, they won't be as manic as they were in the RTD era). The Master-reinvented-as-the-frakking-Joker sucked, but that over-the-top absurdity was also pure RTD, and he's gone now, so there's still some hope for classic villains to return.

I've always wanted more Zygons, but I really want the Ice Warriors!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cmichaelhall.com
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Which classic villain would you like to see brought back?   Which classic villain would you like to see brought back? EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 10:01 am

Although they are already back, last time we had a thread like this, kcooper76 and I mused over the possibility of a new Auton story after what we saw in "The Pandorica Opens." Autons can imitate humans perfectly now and even be programmed to think they are real people. A new Auton invasion could be quite severe with this in place.

I would also like to see the Master back at some point, but handled completely differently from how he's been recently. Take him back to the cunning menace of Delgaldo's Master and branch out from that.

As for the Rani... Only, and ONLY, if they could do a worthwhile revision of her character.

A villain from the Classic series... I suppose Omega could be fascinating.

Monster from the Classic series: the Zygons and Ice Warriors (and the REAL Silurians!) are due for another bout.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Which classic villain would you like to see brought back?   Which classic villain would you like to see brought back? EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 10:57 am

mysterylad wrote:
And the new Dalek design, well, it's just a design...it doesn't actually change the characters any.

I've always wanted more Zygons, but I really want the Ice Warriors!

Ahh...but see, design is all part of it. When RTD brought back the Daleks and the Cybermen, they got bulked up, more metallic, and colder by design over their previous versions. I beliefve the Skittles Daleks are less threatening being pretty colors personally. The "Silurians," or whatever they want to call them, are more human than reptile, unlike their prior Silurian or Sea Devil brothers - even though they are supposed to be much older. De-evolution? Or just "Star Trek-ed?" I can see the production team "updating" Ice Warriors to being more Star Trek "humanized" as well, or the Zygons having less suckers and smaller heads. That's just been the MO of the production teams - in my opinion...

Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Which classic villain would you like to see brought back?   Which classic villain would you like to see brought back? EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 11:17 am

I didn't like the wanna be Cyberman design either. Was a bit too much like International Electromatics was actually a subsidiary of Stark Industries.

Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Which classic villain would you like to see brought back?   Which classic villain would you like to see brought back? EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 1:41 pm

Justice Machines.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Which classic villain would you like to see brought back?   Which classic villain would you like to see brought back? EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 1:47 pm

Rust wrote:
Justice Machines.

And boy will they be mad....
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Which classic villain would you like to see brought back?   Which classic villain would you like to see brought back? EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 2:52 pm

rdks wrote:
SeaDevil wrote:
This.

These
Back to top Go down
jfh1970
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1850
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Which classic villain would you like to see brought back?   Which classic villain would you like to see brought back? EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 4:10 pm

Would love to see the return of the Yeti seeing that none of their classic episodes exist any more. Wouldn't mind seeing Draconians and Ogrons either.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Which classic villain would you like to see brought back?   Which classic villain would you like to see brought back? EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 7:43 pm

I second the return of the Ice warriors. However, I would have a long list.

1. Sil because I believe the actor is still alive, and he did such a great job. They could even introduce jimmy vee as a new member of that species.

2. The Rani, but only if she's played by a good actress (I hear that Gillian Anderson lives in Englund, hmmmmm)

3. The Master. I don't know why I'm the only one who enjoyed Simm's performance. The Master is just like the Doctor, and can change with each incarnation. Ainley was different from delgado, just like Roberts was different, and even Derek Jacobi had a small time as it. I do agree, though, that the next one should be serious. It's a shame they already had bill nighy on the show, he would have made an excellent Master.

4. Adric. The actor is still alive, and just like older Amy Pond hated the Doctor in the Girl who Waited, Adric (maybe from an alternate dimension) could hate the Doctor. It would be interesting seeing the Doctor facing someone again whose death he was partly responsible for.

5. The Sea Devils. I just like big fish, what can I say?

Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Which classic villain would you like to see brought back?   Which classic villain would you like to see brought back? EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 7:47 pm

bret_owen99 wrote:

2. The Rani, but only if she's played by a good actress (I hear that Gillian Anderson lives in Englund, hmmmmm)

cheers

Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Which classic villain would you like to see brought back?   Which classic villain would you like to see brought back? EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 7:53 pm

bret_owen99 wrote:
4. Adric. The actor is still alive, and just like older Amy Pond hated the Doctor in the Girl who Waited, Adric (maybe from an alternate dimension) could hate the Doctor. It would be interesting seeing the Doctor facing someone again whose death he was partly responsible for.
Big Finish did that exact scenario 3 years ago in The Boy That Time Forgot. Except Matthew Waterhouse wouldn't do it, he wants nothing to do with Who, so he was recast.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Which classic villain would you like to see brought back?   Which classic villain would you like to see brought back? EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 pm

How about Sea Devils. Smile
Back to top Go down
jfh1970
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1850
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Which classic villain would you like to see brought back?   Which classic villain would you like to see brought back? EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 10:28 pm

rdks wrote:
bret_owen99 wrote:
Big Finish did that exact scenario 3 years ago in The Boy That Time Forgot. Except Matthew Waterhouse wouldn't do it, he wants nothing to do with Who, so he was recast.

Although he has done some dvd commentaries. If Tom Baker can come back, then why not Waterhouse?
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Which classic villain would you like to see brought back?   Which classic villain would you like to see brought back? EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 10:34 pm

jfh1970 wrote:

Although he has done some dvd commentaries. If Tom Baker can come back, then why not Waterhouse?

And he was at the Gallifrey convention in CA this past Feb.

Back to top Go down
Shatterbang
Shatterbang

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Which classic villain would you like to see brought back?   Which classic villain would you like to see brought back? EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 10:43 pm

A vengeful Wrath of Khan Adric would be pretty awesome, I think. Was the audio drama any good?

I'd also like to see The Meddling Monk make a comeback as a Harry Mudd type time traveling con man. A guy more rebellious of Time Lord society than even The Doctor. A total slacker, easy money guy. What if Nick Frost played him?

I liked Simms Master too, but I didn't care for the stories he was in. They sorta fizzled. Imagine somebody like Terrence Stamp or somebody coming in as The Master or Omega.

What if The Master were able to return with all the exiled Time Lords in tow AND McGann's Doctor pursuing them?
Back to top Go down
http://emerdelac.wordpress.com
Eternal
Eternal

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Which classic villain would you like to see brought back?   Which classic villain would you like to see brought back? EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 6:19 am

It might be fun to bring back Sutekh...

In a way, it could be argued that he did come back in the Satan Pit, since Sutekh was considered another name for the Devil, and Gabriel Woolfe (voice of Sutekh) did the Beast's voice for that episode...
In addition to the beast of the Satan pit episode, there was the beast from season 1 of Torchwood, the one that Jack faced in the final episode. All this background stuff could be used as the foundation for a "return of Sutekh" episode...

Bringing back familiar villains is fun, as long as it doesn't become like 60's Batman episodes (the continual return of the Joker, the Riddler, the Penguin, the Ocelot etc..)
Back to top Go down

Which classic villain would you like to see brought back?
Page 1 of 1