Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeSearchRegisterLog inThe Who North America Online StoreLatest images

Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!

Go down 
+20
Whovian
Sabalom Glitz
bret_owen99
SeaDevil
rdks
Doctor Detroit
happydalek
Gunny
artanyus
Shatterbang
amagon
Rust
terrasolo
Calixar
Ronpur
jaredofmo
mysterylad
Vicki
^o^CORVUS^o^
RevClaire
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 2:05 am

Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 PDVD_1598-1

More Paul McGann love, this time, "Fairy Tale: A True Story".
~
Back to top Go down
artanyus
artanyus

Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 2:08 am

a1cmustangpilot wrote:
jaredofmo wrote:
I've only experienced 8's adventures in the TV movie, and despite everything else, I thought Paul McGann was the best thing about it, offering an energetic and charismatic Doctor. I didn't think the character felt "Americanized," but the plot was.

Maybe I'm too American and too much of a romantic to notice the American plot... :/ I mean, I couldn't help but notice how American Nicolas Cage was as Captain Antonio Corelli despite the accent... but this movie, I just loved it regardless of the cliche plot. It was cute!

~

It is very easy to miss the americanization. It took several viewings to pick up on it, but even then I still enjoyed the movie. You're right a1, it was cute, and that is why I liked it.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 2:11 am

artanyus wrote:
a1cmustangpilot wrote:
jaredofmo wrote:
I've only experienced 8's adventures in the TV movie, and despite everything else, I thought Paul McGann was the best thing about it, offering an energetic and charismatic Doctor. I didn't think the character felt "Americanized," but the plot was.

Maybe I'm too American and too much of a romantic to notice the American plot... :/ I mean, I couldn't help but notice how American Nicolas Cage was as Captain Antonio Corelli despite the accent... but this movie, I just loved it regardless of the cliche plot. It was cute!

~

It is very easy to miss the americanization. It took several viewings to pick up on it, but even then I still enjoyed the movie. You're right a1, it was cute, and that is why I liked it.

I think if I concentrated on the plot rather than just loving it for what I like, I could probably see the Americanization. Like it's been since highschool since I saw "Corelli's Mandolin" and now I was able to see just how American Nicolas Cage was. David Morrissey on the other hand, is still a fantastic German. Very Happy

~
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 2:11 am

Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 PDVD_526-1
"These shoes! They fit perfectly!"

~
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 2:14 am

I felt bad for Eight, because he spent most of his beginning, shivering and wondering who he was.

Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 PDVD_446-1

Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 PDVD_473-1

~
Back to top Go down
artanyus
artanyus

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 2:23 am

a1cmustangpilot wrote:
I felt bad for Eight, because he spent most of his beginning, shivering and wondering who he was.

Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 PDVD_446-1

Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 PDVD_473-1

~

Aww, yeah, that was sad. He really did not get a good start. Considering that the doctors nearly killed him in his seventh incarnation.
Back to top Go down
Whovian

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2009-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 9:20 am

As a side note, I recognize all the classic Doctor audios as canon.

Please don't bring up Zagreus...please don't bring up Zagreus...
Back to top Go down
artanyus
artanyus

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 5:20 pm

Whovian wrote:

Why do you not wish us to bring up Zagreus?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 5:38 pm

artanyus wrote:
Whovian wrote:

...because "Zagreus" is evil and apparently makes people shake their heads? I've only listened to a little bit of it, so I honestly haven't the faintest idea.

~
Back to top Go down
artanyus
artanyus

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 5:40 pm

a1cmustangpilot wrote:
artanyus wrote:
Whovian wrote:

...because "Zagreus" is evil and apparently makes people shake their heads? I've only listened to a little bit of it, so I honestly haven't the faintest idea.

~

I see.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 5:42 pm

Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 PDVD_736-1

Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 PDVD_652-1

I was listening to a Christmas cd today with dad when we were out and about, and Paul McGann read a few of the stories. During one, I swore it was actually Eight telling the story to a group of children. He's such a great storyteller!
~
Back to top Go down
artanyus
artanyus

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 5:44 pm

a1cmustangpilot wrote:
I was listening to a Christmas cd today with dad when we were out and about, and Paul McGann read a few of the stories. During one, I swore it was actually Eight telling the story to a group of children. He's such a great storyteller!
~

aww that is so cool. He is a great storyteller. Just another reason why I like Eight.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 5:47 pm

artanyus wrote:
a1cmustangpilot wrote:
~

aww that is so cool. He is a great storyteller. Just another reason why I like Eight.

You would have LOVED the stories that he told! He even did a telling of "The Night Before Christmas". Dad enjoyed listening to the cd as well. Very Happy

~
Back to top Go down
artanyus
artanyus

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 5:50 pm

a1cmustangpilot wrote:
artanyus wrote:
a1cmustangpilot wrote:
~

You would have LOVED the stories that he told! He even did a telling of "The Night Before Christmas". Dad enjoyed listening to the cd as well. Very Happy

~

Oh cool. I wish I had been there to hear that. I would have loved hearing that.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 5:57 pm

artanyus wrote:
a1cmustangpilot wrote:
artanyus wrote:
a1cmustangpilot wrote:
~

~

Oh cool. I wish I had been there to hear that. I would have loved hearing that.

Well when you come out here, and we're decorating my room on Nov 1, we'll be sure to listen to it. I can't decorate for Christmas and not listen to Christmas music!
~
Back to top Go down
The 2nd Doctor Roberts
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 6:18 pm

a1cmustangpilot wrote:
artanyus wrote:
Whovian wrote:

~

Well, for heaven's sake don't listen to any more of it! This is your one warning...no second chances. I'm that sort of a...ah, skip it.

Whovian, why would we bring up Zagreus? It was an Eighth Doctor story and none of the other Doctors actually appeared in it. (That's not a spoiler, that's an advisory.)

Why did you bring up Zagreus? That's a fightin' word where I come from.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 6:28 pm

*sigh*

~
Back to top Go down
Whovian

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2009-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 6:42 pm

The 2nd Doctor Roberts wrote:
Whovian, why would we bring up Zagreus? It was an Eighth Doctor story and none of the other Doctors actually appeared in it. (That's not a spoiler, that's an advisory.)
Phew! For a second I thought there might be some sort of continuity thing going on. Now that I know that none of the other Doctors appeared in it, it gives more credibility to my case against number eight.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 7:16 pm

Whovian wrote:
Phew! For a second I thought there might be some sort of continuity thing going on. Now that I know that none of the other Doctors appeared in it, it gives more credibility to my case against number eight.

Dislike and deny him all you want. He's got a figure, a spot in the proper show... he exists.

~
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 7:19 pm

Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 6535488

~
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 7:25 pm

a1cmustangpilot wrote:
artanyus wrote:
Whovian wrote:

~

Well, for heaven's sake don't listen to any more of it! This is your one warning...no second chances. I'm that sort of a...ah, skip it.

Why did you bring up Zagreus? That's a fightin' word where I come from.

Ya know what... the Eighth Doctor speaks in it ... so shhhh he is speaking, and I want to hear his lovely voice... and that is pretty much all that matters in regards to "Zagreus". I mean, you are trying to persuade a person who loves "Battlefield Earth" and most other hideous movies that people die of shame from... into hating "Zagreus" for some odd reason. Paul McGann is in it. Case closed.

P.S. Shhh the Doctor speaks! Wink
~
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 7:32 pm

Why all the "Hate for Eight"? I've never seen the point in hating against him, I'm just curious as to why people still try to find excuses to fault him and why people still can't come to terms with the fact that he is the Doctor?
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 8:55 pm

Oooh... I did hear a promo for an 8 audio story where an alien is confusing him for 9, and he says "I am the Doctor!"

And he is.
Back to top Go down
The 2nd Doctor Roberts
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 2:41 am

Whovian wrote:

Well, Romana is in it, and Leela...they helped me get through part three...

I just think as the 40th anniversary story, "Zagreus" is a stinker. While Davison, Baker, McCoy and...somehow...Jon Pertwee are in it, along with a great helping of your favorite "Doctor Who" actors, they're not all playing the characters they're known for. (Although Nicholas Courtney is great as...well, why spoil the only good bit.)

I was willing to play along with the whole idea until the end of the story...then I couldn't believe I sat through three discs of this for that. Not exactly the celebratory affirmation of "Doctor Who" I was hoping for.

Still, even though that story is unreal, Eight is still a real Doctor. I mean, if I can accept McCoy, why can't others accept McGann? Hmm?

Back to top Go down
artanyus
artanyus

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 3:05 am

Whovian wrote:

Well, Romana is in it, and Leela...they helped me get through part three...

I just think as the 40th anniversary story, "Zagreus" is a stinker. While Davison, Baker, McCoy and...somehow...Jon Pertwee are in it, along with a great helping of your favorite "Doctor Who" actors, they're not all playing the characters they're known for. (Although Nicholas Courtney is great as...well, why spoil the only good bit.)

I was willing to play along with the whole idea until the end of the story...then I couldn't believe I sat through three discs of this for that. Not exactly the celebratory affirmation of "Doctor Who" I was hoping for.

Still, even though that story is unreal, Eight is still a real Doctor. I mean, if I can accept McCoy, why can't others accept McGann? Hmm?

After listening to the story, we can't forget the Doctor's faithful companion K-9. I was willing to go with it, but while it wasn't the best audio, it is an Eight Adventure either way. The first past Doctor we hear was Pertwee (in voice only briefly through the TARDIS). Which I guess means that it makes this story a part of canon.

At the very least it is more proof that Eight is canon.
Back to top Go down

Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next