Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeSearchRegisterLog inThe Who North America Online StoreLatest images

Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers)

Go down 
+9
mysterylad
Calixar
artanyus
bret_owen99
RevClaire
Ronpur
CJSchmidt
jfh1970
slappy
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
slappy
slappy

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2007-02-16

Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers) Empty
PostSubject: Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers)   Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers) EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 12:59 pm

I don't want to come off as a Dalek-hater, but three episodes into the 11th Doctor's tenure, and the Earth is threatened by Daleks. Again.

I love the Daleks*, but I feel like the writers use them too often. I always thought in the original series that the Daleks would appear once a season, and it would be a HUGE event. Now it doesn't feel like that anymore.

Maybe it was an RTD thing. I don't know. But my shoulders actually sank when I saw the silhouette behind Winston Churchill in the promo.

What do you guys think?

*I'm admittedly more of a Cyberman fan. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.garyan.net
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers)   Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers) EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 1:59 pm

slappy wrote:
I don't want to come off as a Dalek-hater, but three episodes into the 11th Doctor's tenure, and the Earth is threatened by Daleks. Again.

I love the Daleks*, but I feel like the writers use them too often. I always thought in the original series that the Daleks would appear once a season, and it would be a HUGE event. Now it doesn't feel like that anymore.

Maybe it was an RTD thing. I don't know. But my shoulders actually sank when I saw the silhouette behind Winston Churchill in the promo.

What do you guys think?

*I'm admittedly more of a Cyberman fan. Very Happy

Forever Dalek fan. For me, just seeing them makes me happy. Getting tired of them would be like me suddenly deciding that I have seen the P-51 Mustang too many times and that airshows should just stop showing them because they are overused.

This episode wasn't the greatest... but still, much love for the Daleks being Daleks. And no, the world isn't really at threat from the Daleks, well, sort of. You'll just have to see it tomorrow night. Razz
~
Back to top Go down
jfh1970
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1850
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers)   Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers) EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 3:28 pm

I've been fatigued for quite a while now, but with the latest episode I found I still absolutely love them. Perhaps it was their absence from the screen for the same time the Doctor was gone? Who knows? Plus for me the Daleks and the Doctor go hand in hand now so they're appearance pretty much cemented Smith as the new Doctor for me. Not that he needs much help as far as I'm concerned.
Back to top Go down
CJSchmidt
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers)   Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers) EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 5:06 pm

I think it will all depend on how long it takes for them to pop up again. My guess is that Moffat got his Dalek "reset" out of the way as early as possible so that they could come back late next season with as big as a gap as possible while still giving them a yearly appearance. To be honest though, as much as I'd like them to take a break... I'm a little anxious to see what a scary Moffat-Dalek episode would be like.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers)   Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers) EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 6:28 pm

Be glad you weren't watching Who in the 60's. There were Daleks stories yearly.
Back to top Go down
RevClaire
RevClaire

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2010-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers)   Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers) EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 8:24 pm

I do love the Daleks, and am always happy to see them (yeah, I even like Daleks in Manhattan, well, the first half at least), but... once a year probably is too much. But every other year would be too little, so what do I know? Wink

I will say there's one time they've shown up and I went "argh... really?", and that's the cameo in Waters of Mars. Just pointless and kinda cheap looking-- I dunno. Maybe it's the fact that he was invading what should have been a full-on Ice Warriors story Laughing
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers)   Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers) EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 9:47 pm

somebody correct me if i'm wrong. i read that dalek stories are featured each year in the new series as a sort of "deal" with the nation estate. because the bbc doesn't own the rights, they just sort of lease them, they have to use them at least once a year.

so if this is true, we'll be seeing at least one story a year for as long as the new series is on.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers)   Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers) EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 9:51 pm

I have heard that also Bret. Mind you after, Daleks in Manhatten I wouldnt have minded if they never showed up again!
Back to top Go down
jfh1970
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1850
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers)   Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers) EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 10:03 pm

bret_owen99 wrote:
somebody correct me if i'm wrong. i read that dalek stories are featured each year in the new series as a sort of "deal" with the nation estate. because the bbc doesn't own the rights, they just sort of lease them, they have to use them at least once a year.

so if this is true, we'll be seeing at least one story a year for as long as the new series is on.

I read that as well. I don't think the BBC has to use the Daleks, but seeing that they paid for the "rental" rights I'm sure they figure they ought to.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers)   Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers) EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 10:21 pm

Not only that but looking at how much it cost to create the supreme Dalek as well as the others, you don't spend that much on a fully automated Dalek just to discard it. I'm thankful that they will be appearing, mostly just because a Dalek is a Dalek and I love seeing them, even if the story is crap. Look at the two Cushing movies, not original... but they had Daleks!
~
Back to top Go down
artanyus
artanyus

Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers)   Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers) EmptySat May 01, 2010 12:40 am

I don't really see myself getting tired of the Daleks. To me they are a staple of Doctor Who, as is any villain really, but it would take a lot for me to grow tired of them.

The one villain I hoped I would like but quickly grew bored with were the Cybermen. I don't know why but they just lack something the Sontarans and Daleks have.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers)   Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers) EmptySat May 01, 2010 2:23 am

artanyus wrote:
I don't really see myself getting tired of the Daleks. To me they are a staple of Doctor Who, as is any villain really, but it would take a lot for me to grow tired of them.

The one villain I hoped I would like but quickly grew bored with were the Cybermen. I don't know why but they just lack something the Sontarans and Daleks have.

How about that catch-phrase, "Delete! Delete!" I got annoyed with that real fast. Not only that, but what made them, the slaughter, it upset me way too much. I could handle a mutated creature, but the butchery of human life in that way was just too much for my sensitive mind to handle.
~
Back to top Go down
artanyus
artanyus

Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers)   Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers) EmptySat May 01, 2010 2:31 am

a1cmustangpilot wrote:
artanyus wrote:

How about that catch-phrase, "Delete! Delete!" I got annoyed with that real fast. Not only that, but what made them, the slaughter, it upset me way too much. I could handle a mutated creature, but the butchery of human life in that way was just too much for my sensitive mind to handle.
~

The slaughter way of creation was the RTD way of creating them, where as in the past they were basically humans who had turned to cybernetic implants as a way to continue living until eventually they became complete machine. There was no slaughter then, just a scientific/technological way to ensure a species survived.

And yes, the new Cybermen mantra of "Delete" got old really quick. The older Cybermen were good, but the Cybermen from the RTD era ruined it for me.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers)   Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers) EmptySat May 01, 2010 2:34 am

artanyus wrote:
a1cmustangpilot wrote:
artanyus wrote:

~

The slaughter way of creation was the RTD way of creating them, where as in the past they were basically humans who had turned to cybernetic implants as a way to continue living until eventually they became complete machine. There was no slaughter then, just a scientific/technological way to ensure a species survived.

And yes, the new Cybermen mantra of "Delete" got old really quick. The older Cybermen were good, but the Cybermen from the RTD era ruined it for me.

See, that version I would have preferred. You know, when we were watching those episodes, I reached a point where I really didn't want to watch it anymore, especially when the one Cybermen gained back its emotions and realised what had happened and then it was so overwhelmed with grief that it died. I had nightmares from that. The Daleks have never given me nightmares.
~
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers)   Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers) EmptySat May 01, 2010 4:45 am

As much of a Dalek fan as I am - who can honestly say they aren't? - I'd like to see more classic baddies revived than just the Daleks and Cybermen, over and over again. The Sontarans' revival was perfect, though SJA lessened the impact of their return with its bumbling, watered-down Sontaran.

The Ice Warriors are begging to be revisited. For my money - ha! see what I did there? - Sil should come back; Nabil Shaban is outstanding in his recent audio revival of Sil, and I think he'd happily show up in the new series if asked. The Zygons, the Mara, Fenric and/or the Gods of Ragnarok would be welcome, and none of them have gobs of backstory baggage to weigh them down: they're almost clean slates. Big Finish has brought back some interseting classic villains in its 8th Doc/Lucie series, though the execution is generally hit and miss when it comes to those.

I'm totally hyped up for the return of the Silurians though. One of my all-time favorite classic creatures (can't bring myself to call them monsters). The story better rock - I'd like for it to be something that doesn't leave Malcolm Hulke spinning in his grave.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers)   Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers) EmptySat May 01, 2010 7:28 am

Keeping my fingers crossed about the "Earth Reptiles" too! They are all my favorites.

If it is true about the Daleks having to be used once a year, maybe episode 3 was a way to get them used this year early, an not do them again until year 6, episode 12 or 13. A bigger rest than they usually get.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers)   Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers) EmptySat May 01, 2010 7:32 am

Ronpur wrote:
Keeping my fingers crossed about the "Earth Reptiles" too! They are all my favorites.

If it is true about the Daleks having to be used once a year, maybe episode 3 was a way to get them used this year early, an not do them again until year 6, episode 12 or 13. A bigger rest than they usually get.

See, I honestly don't mind gaps like that... just as long as they are still there every year.

I think my love for the Daleks is getting too strong. But there's no other creature (outside of K-9) that I like more. Sad
~
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers)   Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers) EmptySat May 01, 2010 6:23 pm

It's not so much being tired of the Daleks, but of the Daleks on Earth. Let's see them threatening other worlds. It's gotten to the point that nobody on Earth has an excuse not to recognize them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers)   Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers) EmptySat May 01, 2010 7:11 pm

Good idea. Lets see them threaten the entire population of Spoon! Maybe planet Yoghurt aswell? (See what I did there LOL)
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1660
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers)   Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers) EmptySat May 01, 2010 7:54 pm

a1cmustangpilot wrote:
...what made them, the slaughter, it upset me way too much. I could handle a mutated creature, but the butchery of human life in that way was just too much for my sensitive mind to handle.

That upset you? The Daleks are probably the most thinly-veiled metaphor for the Nazis to ever appear in science fiction. They're obsessed with racial purity and the subjugation of all time and space, and have murdered billions of people throughout existence...but the act of cyber-conversion rates higher on your scale of upset? Don't get me wrong, cyber-conversion is plenty horrifying, but let's not lose our perspective on what the Daleks represent.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cmichaelhall.com
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers)   Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers) EmptySat May 01, 2010 8:26 pm

mysterylad wrote:
a1cmustangpilot wrote:
...what made them, the slaughter, it upset me way too much. I could handle a mutated creature, but the butchery of human life in that way was just too much for my sensitive mind to handle.

That upset you? The Daleks are probably the most thinly-veiled metaphor for the Nazis to ever appear in science fiction. They're obsessed with racial purity and the subjugation of all time and space, and have murdered billions of people throughout existence...but the act of cyber-conversion rates higher on your scale of upset? Don't get me wrong, cyber-conversion is plenty horrifying, but let's not lose our perspective on what the Daleks represent.

Yeah, the Daleks are like the...sorry, I can't say that word, I'll have to wash my mouth out with soap again from all that FILTH! Anyway, I suppose they are, but c'mon, we like the Daleks. They're awesome. Unlike Mr.H Evil or Very Mad Mad
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers)   Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers) EmptySat May 01, 2010 9:07 pm

scarywood wrote:
mysterylad wrote:
a1cmustangpilot wrote:

Yeah, the Daleks are like the...sorry, I can't say that word, I'll have to wash my mouth out with soap again from all that FILTH! Anyway, I suppose they are, but c'mon, we like the Daleks. They're awesome. Unlike Mr.H Evil or Very Mad Mad

I'm honestly not sure how to respond to that because it goes into something that I really cannot explain, that and the fact that now I feel completely horrible now.
~
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers)   Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers) EmptySat May 01, 2010 9:23 pm

a1cmustangpilot wrote:
scarywood wrote:
mysterylad wrote:
a1cmustangpilot wrote:

I'm honestly not sure how to respond to that because it goes into something that I really cannot explain, that and the fact that now I feel completely horrible now.
~

Sorry, I didn't intend that. I really have it in for Mr.H. Hate is a strong word. I hate NO ONE but that murderer.

Sorry if I made you feel uneasy Sad
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers)   Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers) EmptySat May 01, 2010 9:29 pm

scarywood wrote:
a1cmustangpilot wrote:
scarywood wrote:
mysterylad wrote:
a1cmustangpilot wrote:

~

Sorry, I didn't intend that. I really have it in for Mr.H. Hate is a strong word. I hate NO ONE but that murderer.

The response comments to what I said reminded me of somethings that happened in highschool in regards to my fascination with WWII and the Wehrmacht itself. I've been harassed and called a Nazi just for having interest in the Bf 109 Messerschmitt, and I've just gotten to the point where I just clam up about it all. It's difficult to explain what I mean because I know my own thoughts and heart, but trying to get others to understand where I'm coming from has proven to be more painful than anything.

I get what the Daleks represent and I haven't forgotten what they do.
~
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers)   Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers) EmptySat May 01, 2010 9:41 pm

a1cmustangpilot wrote:
scarywood wrote:
a1cmustangpilot wrote:
scarywood wrote:
mysterylad wrote:
a1cmustangpilot wrote:

~

The response comments to what I said reminded me of somethings that happened in highschool in regards to my fascination with WWII and the Wehrmacht itself. I've been harassed and called a Nazi just for having interest in the Bf 109 Messerschmitt, and I've just gotten to the point where I just clam up about it all. It's difficult to explain what I mean because I know my own thoughts and heart, but trying to get others to understand where I'm coming from has proven to be more painful than anything.

I get what the Daleks represent and I haven't forgotten what they do.
~

I'm really, really sorry. If only I knew, I wouldn't have said anything. Sometimes I can't control this horrible feeling for that terrible man.

I wasn't trying to call you a N. God, no! I too am very interested in WW2. I know very little about the types of planes and vehicles, but I know the basics on the battles and have been trying to improve that knowledge, both from the Allies' perspective and the enemies perspective.

I'm just sorry for triggering any bad memories and making you upset. Don't let the whole "Dalek = N" thing get to you. At the end of the day, Daleks are fictional and nothing on God's Earth could compare to N's. Just think of little Gemini, he's not a murderer! He's the cutest thing on Earth! And that is what the Daleks truly represent; Cute Dalek toys!
Back to top Go down

Is anyone else experiencing Dalek fatigue? (spoilers)
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next