6 posters
AuthorMessage
hitman hart
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

book of eli. Empty
PostSubject: book of eli.   book of eli. EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 1:58 am

saw this today. found it entertaining. wondering if anyone else saw it and what their opinion was. denzel washington, gary oldman, and mila kunis did a good job. rated r for post apocalyse action, aka brutal violence and cruelty to woman.
Back to top Go down
timewarrior
timewarrior

Number of posts : 4016
Registration date : 2008-09-21

book of eli. Empty
PostSubject: Re: book of eli.   book of eli. EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 7:20 pm

NO interest whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
LakeErieMonster
LakeErieMonster

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2007-02-05

book of eli. Empty
PostSubject: Re: book of eli.   book of eli. EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 10:50 pm

the premiss seemed a bit sketchy.
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

book of eli. Empty
PostSubject: Re: book of eli.   book of eli. EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 11:43 pm

i gotta say from the prewiews i thought this was gonna be a religious fanfare of crap, but then when i realised that washington is a solid actor and it was rated r and not pg 13 i got more interested. then i realized there had to be some kind of twist and for four dollars on an early sunday showing i gave it a chance and was entertained. but to each their own.
Back to top Go down
stanlow

Number of posts : 380
Registration date : 2009-06-23

book of eli. Empty
PostSubject: Re: book of eli.   book of eli. EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 7:45 am

My father rented this movie when my girlfriend and I visited a few weeks back and she, both my parents and I HATED it. I thought it was very slow moving and a trifle dull. The lack of color and contrast did not help either. I admit, it was an interesting look and style for about 20 minutes. Sadly the film is much longer than 20 minutes. Seemed like it would be more interesting to someone who had never seen a Mad Max film. Contrast this with two of my coworkers who both loved it and think I'm crazy for not.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

book of eli. Empty
PostSubject: Re: book of eli.   book of eli. EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 12:49 pm

My brother got to see it in the theatre and liked it. I wanted to see it in the theatre but never got a chance to. It's on my list of movies that I eventually want to see.

~
Back to top Go down
artanyus
artanyus

Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2010-03-14

book of eli. Empty
PostSubject: Re: book of eli.   book of eli. EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 1:12 pm

Having heard a lot of good things about this movie, I have been wanting to see it. Several of my friends have recommended it to me already, but I just haven't gotten around to seeing it.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

book of eli. Empty
PostSubject: Re: book of eli.   book of eli. EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 1:21 pm

It's not bad. I would recommend it. I read a review that accused it of being "religious propaganda". But I have to disagree, it went beyond religion for me, and actually had a worthwhile message. I could have done without all the action scenes, though. Why must every post-apocalyptic movie feature all these action scenes? It takes away from the story when the action is just their for the sake of being action. It is like"oh someone might be bored at this point, so I think we should include a scene with a guy being stabbed in the . . . "
Back to top Go down
Nocturniah
Nocturniah

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2008-12-04

book of eli. Empty
PostSubject: Re: book of eli.   book of eli. EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 2:17 pm

I liked this movie. The action scenes sometimes went a bit overboard, but the story is interesting enough. Any time you put Gary Oldman and Malcolm McDowell in the same film, I'm not going to complain too much.

I saw Eli and The Road back to back and the world looks more or less the same in both films, the score felt similar, there are certain visual similarities... basically I feel like these two are sister films.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/nocturniah
Anonymous

book of eli. Empty
PostSubject: Re: book of eli.   book of eli. EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 2:32 pm

Nocturniah wrote:

I saw Eli and The Road back to back and the world looks more or less the same in both films, the score felt similar, there are certain visual similarities... basically I feel like these two are sister films.

They do look the same, because for some reason a new movie trend has been born where every post-apocalyptic film must have gray, and washed out colors. They basically look as bleak as possible, with the same kind of characters who have the same motives. I lately try to stay away from these kinds of movies because they all just seem to be ripping off the same "vision".
Back to top Go down
Nocturniah
Nocturniah

book of eli. Empty
PostSubject: Re: book of eli.   book of eli. EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 2:49 pm

kcooper76 wrote:
Nocturniah wrote:

They do look the same, because for some reason a new movie trend has been born where every post-apocalyptic film must have gray, and washed out colors. They basically look as bleak as possible, with the same kind of characters who have the same motives. I lately try to stay away from these kinds of movies because they all just seem to be ripping off the same "vision".

This annoys me as well. I absolutely love dystopian films and a post-apocalypic world with a tiny population, worn down buildings, shrubbery, and Earth tones is all we get any more. Someone in Hollywood probably thinks its so "realistic" or some similar nonsense Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

book of eli. Empty
PostSubject: Re: book of eli.   book of eli. EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 2:55 pm

Nocturniah wrote:
kcooper76 wrote:
Nocturniah wrote:

This annoys me as well. I absolutely love dystopian films and a post-apocalypic world with a tiny population, worn down buildings, shrubbery, and Earth tones is all we get any more. Someone in Hollywood probably thinks its so "realistic" or some similar nonsense Rolling Eyes

Did "Postman" ever fit that description? The parts that looked washed-out were due to the dust and dirt blowing around, but I thought that movie had quite vivid colours.

"Primeval" has that effect too and it's quite annoying. I don't believe that the world, post-anything would be in sepia. It's a cheap way of saying, "Look, you're in the future!" Because as an audience member, we must be that thick to not get that...

~
Back to top Go down
Nocturniah
Nocturniah

book of eli. Empty
PostSubject: Re: book of eli.   book of eli. EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 3:13 pm

I think the Postman was slightly before Hollywood fully committed to what we get these days Smile

Children of Men, I think, is probably the best post-apocalyptic/dystopian film in quite a few years. It didn't try to hide the sci-fi nature of any post-apocalyptic world and has some absolutely amazing single-shot sequences. I'd recommend Children of Men before Book of Eli or The Road (but all three are good in their own ways).

The sepia thing is hilarious, though, because its so true. It is one of two things that will get a laugh out of me when I see a movie trailer. The other is the Adam-Lambert-esque piano rendition of Mad World.
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

book of eli. Empty
PostSubject: Re: book of eli.   book of eli. EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 12:57 am

the best part of seeing the movie on the big screen was at the begining in the action sequence under the bridge when denziel kills multiple people and chops of body parts some lady behind me in a sultry voice says that was so hot. i laughed because only denziel washington could kill four guys with extreme predjudice and get a woman excited.
Back to top Go down

book of eli.
Page 1 of 1