21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

Latest Star Trek Movie - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 6:30 pm

Did not like it. Felt more like a Star Wars film, and I saw no "Boldy going where no man has gone before". at all. Nero was boring, and I did not like how JJ seemed to what the 23rd century to be more like the 21st. Plus Kirk and the 'cupcake' remarks is cringe worthy.

Plus the Engineering areas looking like a mix of a brewery and AXIS Chemicals was some never forgive action. Razz

Another reason I never cared for any of JJ's work. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Redfern
Redfern

Number of posts : 1208
Registration date : 2009-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 6:56 pm

Here's the kicker...

The "engineering" set really WAS a brewery! I forget which beer company paid to have its name slipped into the bar scene, but it also "loaned" part of its factory floor space for the engine room shots. Sadly, I'm dead serious. Ryan Church illustrated some really intriguing designs, but to save money, the PTB struck a deal with the beer maker.

What's really embarrassing is that "Mystery Science Theater 3000" poked fun at a low budget movie "Muntiny in Space" for doing the same thing, filming within a factory with obviously cement floors to "fake" an engineering complex. At least that flick had the "excuse" of being low budget, but for a movie whose budget was rivaled only by "Avatar", well, it's...er...uh... WEll, I'm not sure what it is, but it's a shame, regardless.

Sincerely,

Bill
Back to top Go down
http://www.mzzkiti.com
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 8:35 pm

Personally, I liked the Engineering section of the new ship.

Since, ya know, an engine to power a massive starship would be a little more complex then a giant, pulsating blue light in the middle of the room.
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 9:45 pm

Redfern wrote:
Here's the kicker...

The "engineering" set really WAS a brewery! I forget which beer company paid to have its name slipped into the bar scene, but it also "loaned" part of its factory floor space for the engine room shots. Sadly, I'm dead serious. Ryan Church illustrated some really intriguing designs, but to save money, the PTB struck a deal with the beer maker.

What's really embarrassing is that "Mystery Science Theater 3000" poked fun at a low budget movie "Muntiny in Space" for doing the same thing, filming within a factory with obviously cement floors to "fake" an engineering complex. At least that flick had the "excuse" of being low budget, but for a movie whose budget was rivaled only by "Avatar", well, it's...er...uh... WEll, I'm not sure what it is, but it's a shame, regardless.

Sincerely,

Bill

Not to mention:

Hypo Sprays that hurt

The starships being built by sweaty guys with welders

The Kelvin shuttles having curtains

Cars and motorcycles, clearly showing that people are still using oil in the 23rd century

San Fransisco with so much smog

The Enterprise's warp pods giving off exhaust (Gene would have a cow if he saw that)

Star Destroyer-sized starships

The fact that a ship captain can literally throw someone off the ship onto dangerous worlds where said person could get killed

Archer being such a petty minded jerk that he banished Scotty to a dangerous ice world because his dog died/disappeared

That Archer's time seems to now be more advanced than this new timeline

The lens flares.....the smeggin' lens flairs

The ships like the Farragot, Lexington and so on getting wasted

The fact that this film is not going to age well

And JJ himself going, "STAR WARS!!! STAR WARS!!! STAR WARS!!! STAR WARS!!!" in every interview about this film
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 9:47 pm

Rust wrote:
Personally, I liked the Engineering section of the new ship.

Since, ya know, an engine to power a massive starship would be a little more complex then a giant, pulsating blue light in the middle of the room.

The Enterprise-D was big, and it had a modest, classy engineering section; not some testosterone, I have a small xxxx type engineering section. Rolling Eyes

Less is more.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 10:52 pm

The Castellan wrote:

Hypo Sprays that hurt

McCoy's hypoing Kirk while he's on the move, not exactly lining the shots up correctly.

My father experienced jet injectors (The modern version of Hypo Sprays) when he was in the military. He said if the shot wasn't lined correctly, it could still cause pain.

Quote :
The starships being built by sweaty guys with welders

Only seen in the Teaser Trailer. Further, in space it'd just be sweaty guys in space suits with welders.

Quote :
The Kelvin shuttles having curtains

Why not? It allows the pilots privacy and limits distractions when its needed.

Quote :

Cars and motorcycles, clearly showing that people are still using oil in the 23rd century

Given I'm pretty sure Earth is now exploiting the mineral wealth of the solar system by now, it's not inconcievable another source of oil has been located.

Though it's worth pointing out that nothing indicates that either the antique car or (presumably) antique motorcycle are still running off gas (See the Episode of Babylon 5 where they replace a motorcycle's gas engine with a fusion plant).

Quote :

San Fransisco with so much smog

I don't recall the smog, to be honest. Starfleet Academy's skyline seemed rather clear.

Quote :

The Enterprise's warp pods giving off exhaust (Gene would have a cow if he saw that)

Not really. A starship has to vent excess heat somehow. Also, Gene really didn't care about technical aspects...actually, nobody really cared about technical aspects. Otherwise the Techno-Babble wouldn't have worked as effectively as it did.

Quote :
Star Destroyer-sized starships

It's a Mining Ship. Given the size of most asteroids, not to mention the cargo room involved to make a mining ship worthwhile...darn right it'd be big.

Quote :
The fact that a ship captain can literally throw someone off the ship onto dangerous worlds where said person could get killed

When said person is a stowaway, they probably could get away with it. Though actually, the only reason Spock got away with blatantly disregarding Starfleet Regulations there was because the crew was mostly Midshipmen who weren't going to mess with one of the few established Officers still on the ship.

Quote :
Archer being such a petty minded jerk that he banished Scotty to a dangerous ice world because his dog died/disappeared

It's never said Archer was the one who banished Scotty to the Ice Station. Further, the "Danger" of the Ice World is mitigated by the fact they're secure in a bunker. It's not like Scotty was making trips outside. And up until recently, it was literally a stone's throw from Vulcan. Help could have arrived in literal minutes for a Impulse/Warp society.

Quote :
That Archer's time seems to now be more advanced than this new timeline

Enterprise wasn't that great at keeping with the fact they were supposedly in the 22nd Century to begin with.

Quote :

The lens flares.....the smeggin' lens flairs

Modern film making. Though I do wonder how the crew works with so many glare points. Latest Star Trek Movie - Page 2 Icon_lol

Quote :

The ships like the Farragot, Lexington and so on getting wasted

I'm in ur timeline. Killin ur d00dz!

Course, that was the reserve fleet composed of mostly Midshipman. The main fleet is still out there.

Quote :

The fact that this film is not going to age well

How so? You can say that about any movie, really.

Quote :

And JJ himself going, "STAR WARS!!! STAR WARS!!! STAR WARS!!! STAR WARS!!!" in every interview about this film

Actually, I seem to recall JJ saying how he wasn't going to compete with Star Wars with the new Trek. Which makes sense, since Star Wars and Star Trek are two entirely different genres. Star Trek is Military Science Fiction-lite, and Star Wars is Space Fantasy.

The Castellan wrote:

The Enterprise-D was big, and it had a modest, classy engineering section; not some testosterone, I have a small penis, type engineering section. Rolling Eyes

Less is more.

This is also the Engineering Section that went into warp core breech the minute you looked at it crosseyed. Seemed like every time they got into a fight (And what the heck kind of organization permits taking Children into a combat zone?) Geordi always started hollering about Warp Core containment
Back to top Go down
mike7184

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 7:19 am

Brilliant movie to me, can't wait to see more of them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.edogo.com/
The Castellan
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 2:00 am

It was Star Trek in name, only.

I'll stick to TOS when it comes to Kirk and Spock.

~Pictures ST 2009 Spock going all emo and cutting himself in the next one....hope we don't get one~

Call me crazy, but show me some Trek where it's Where no one has gone before, not fighting some forgettable, cookie cutter villain.

And NOT having the guy who made the sucky-xxx Lost make Trek.
Back to top Go down
keboepple

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Don't knock the newest Star Trek movie too hard Castellan. It was trying to reinvent the series. I feel it accomplished that. I own the DVD now, and it is fun to watch because it keeps the essential element of TOS while turning some creative twists into the mix (like Uhura and Spock in love). Urban does a GREAT take on McCoy (I think DeForest Kelly would be applauding myself).

I think Abrams did a masterful job of taking what was familiar from TOS for the devoted fan base while adding new elements to bring in new fans to the joy of the Star Trek universe.

I look forward to seeing what they do in the next one.

Keith Boepple
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 8:51 pm

Felt too much more of a 'joe sixpack' movie to me.
Reinventions tend to go bad.

Watch, the next one is going to be yet another battle against another cookie cutter villian
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 9:14 pm

The Castellan wrote:
Felt too much more of a 'joe sixpack' movie to me.
Reinventions tend to go bad.

Watch, the next one is going to be yet another battle against another cookie cutter villian

According to them, they are going to pull the baddie/s from the classic series for the 2nd movie. My guess is that they will go with the Talosians.

Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 2:13 am

I just pray they avoid Khan. It's not that Khan's a bad villain (Just shallow), it's just that every movie villain after Khan tried to be Khan.
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 2:50 am

i loved it. it was alot like star wars and that was fine with me. i know alot of people who never liked tos and loved that movie because of the star wars aspect. as a matter of fact most people told me that it was more classic star wars and awsome than all the new star wars movies combined. i didnt really think in those terms when i watched it in the theatre, i just loved it. i never went into it expecting the original series redone. i think too that it had to be over the top and updated to appeal to a wide audience and draw the largest crowd possible. i saw the film with my mom and dad and they both grew up watching tos when it originally aired and they loved it. it is a fact that nothing will ever beat tos but its also a fact that the original actors have grown far to old to carry on doing these movies. genes gift to us was the characters and the strong moral theme that ran through his work. these chacracters have become part of our collective mytholoy in this world and i think trek will be around forever, unfortunately the actors who started it wont be and some have already left us and are missed. i think the actor who played bones was perfect, spock was really well done and i mean come on when kirk bites the apple in kobioshi moreu scene...... that guy deserves a medal for how well he played that scene, playing an actor who would have been very easy to over act and exagerate. the movie was fun and exciting. and i mean spock being responsible for the death of his own world i mean that hits me where i live. i find alot of similarities to this movie and the paul mccgan tv movie. when i was younger and i saw that movie when it aired i hated it. i picked apart every detail that i didnt like and disowned it for many years. then one day after joining this forum and seeing peoples love for paul and his audio work's i grew to see him through different eyes and when i went back all the things that used to bug me fadded away. maybe a few years down the road people who don't like this film will feel the same way. im just happy to see the characters that i love living in a vision of the world i wish we could get to simply live again. long live star trek!
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 3:00 am

Rust wrote:
I just pray they avoid Khan. It's not that Khan's a bad villain (Just shallow), it's just that every movie villain after Khan tried to be Khan.

Agreed. They don't do too well when they try and intro a single villain and build that one person into the sole uber threat. Nero was disappointing, so was Shinzon from Nemesis. At least when they did the Borg Queen it was rather a small part and the main threat was still the Borg forces invading Enterprise.

I think they did state that in wanting to do a classic baddie that they were not going to go Space Seed. I'd hope they build a good story around it. If they don't make the baddie challenging enough, it won't be worth it. Can you imagine them going with another Doomsday Machine? As soon as it hits the screen, every fan is going to go... feed it an asteroid antimatter bomb. If the crew are clueless for an hour trying to figure it out, forget it. We already saw the episode.

I also would not want to see Trelane. The temptation to go all Q with the 'classic' crew would be too much.

Being a horror fan, I wouldn't mind them reworking Man Trap (play it out like The Thing) or Wolf in the Fold. Putting them in the mirror universe might be fun too.

Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 4:38 am

The problem is that I HATE the Star Wars (tired of seeing SW being THE standard of how all sci-fi, before and beyond, is to be judged or used as a template, hence my extreme dislike for it...it's freakin' overload, man x_X;) elements this so-called Trek film had. If one wants Star Wars elements, go watch Star Wars, and quit cramming it in other series, since not everyone's into that.

~The Castellan, dying to see some more "boldly going where no one has gone before", and not another action/battle film~ No

Boy, I miss guys like Aurthur C. Clark, Roddenberry, Berman (I even prefer his stuff over that of JJ's) and Robert Wise. Neutral

This film left a bad flavor in my mouth.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 4:49 am

Cruel Angel wrote:

Being a horror fan, I wouldn't mind them reworking Man Trap (play it out like The Thing) or Wolf in the Fold. Putting them in the mirror universe might be fun too.

Wolf in the Fold would be neat to see on the big screen, but I don't think it fits the tone of the new universe very well.

Despite the familiarity of it, I honestly wouldn't mind if they brought Koloth in and started building his rivalry with Kirk that was only hinted at in The Trouble With Tribbles.
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 7:08 am

Rust wrote:
Cruel Angel wrote:

Wolf in the Fold would be neat to see on the big screen, but I don't think it fits the tone of the new universe very well.

Yea....a story solved with brains rather than firepower.....

This new universe does not feel anything Trekian at all.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 9:23 am

The Castellan wrote:
Rust wrote:
Cruel Angel wrote:

Yes, I miss Picard.......
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 12:25 pm

The Castellan wrote:

I was talking more about the overall light hearted aspect. Wolf in the Fold is dark storytelling.

Quote :

How do you figure? Had all the hallmarks of the classic series to me, with some added twists - mainly how Kirk kept getting his rear handed to him in fights throughout the movie.

Indeed, I'd say Star Trek (2009) feels more "Trekian" then anything we've gotten since The Undiscovered Country.

The TNG era of movies weren't necessarily bad, but too many of the characters had their development and even their character motivations altered to suit the story (Picard in particular) that they never felt right. I also think they killed the D a movie too soon. I think First Contact would have had bigger impact if we'd seen the Enterprise-D getting converted rather then a new ship that the fans have no emotional attachment to.

Star Trek (2009) was the Original Series revived and reborn in a more modern setting. I thought they did wonderfully in translating the sense of fun and adventure from the 60s classic, all without sabotaging any of the characters and bringing about new twists on them (Uhura and Spock, while confusing, provided some really funny moments between Kirk and Spock). Yeah, Nero was a rather weak villain (Though the deleted scenes on Rura Pente do go a ways to help flesh him out a bit), but Nero and his ship were a side show to the re-introduction of the Classic Crew, and those character interactions were brilliant. I didn't feel like I was watching an actor playing a role of a character, I felt like I was being re-introduced to Old Friends. Everyone handled their parts wonderfully with the potential exception of Chekov, but I feel he was forcing the accent too much and hopefully the sequel will give him time to relax it up a bit.
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 1:07 pm

really somebody told me he had russian parents and thats why the accent was so good, was i missinformed because i thought he was brilliant, far better than nuke lear wessells. lol
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 4:49 pm

hitman hart wrote:
really somebody told me he had russian parents and thats why the accent was so good, was i missinformed because i thought he was brilliant, far better than nuke lear wessells. lol

Oh, that would be pie on my face...criticizing a man's accent when it was authentic. Laughing
Back to top Go down

Latest Star Trek Movie
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2