21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
cinnur
cinnur

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2007-03-01

Latest Star Trek Movie Empty
PostSubject: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie EmptyTue May 26, 2009 9:15 pm

Anyone here seen the latest Star Trek movie?

I thought it was a fun movie, and have seen to take a tip from the rebirth of Doctor Who due to some of the changes made to the Star Trek universe.
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1660
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie EmptyWed May 27, 2009 7:44 am

I liked it. Star Trek's ponderous continuity had become a burden on the franchise; the series needed shaken up and given a chance to find a new, broader audience. Kudos to JJ Abrams and company for resurrecting a brand many had written off as dead and buried.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cmichaelhall.com
exilea
exilea

Number of posts : 380
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie EmptyWed May 27, 2009 1:21 pm

I loved the movie, and I've never been a Trek fan. I knew enough about the original series to appreciate the alternate timeline scenarios in this movie. I know its probably too much to hope for, but if they made a new series with this cast and the alternate timeline, i'd watch it faithfully Smile
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2207
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie EmptyWed May 27, 2009 10:39 pm

I liked this movie. I wish they put as much thought, effort, and money into the X-Men films. I didn't even mind the constant lens flares.
All the characters were very likeable, especially Bones. I'm surprised it was written by the guys that wrote Transformers since this was the exact opposite in terms of characterization.
Chris Pine's kirk was EXACTLY like John Crichton. I let this slide because I LOVE Farscape like nobody's business. I bet Ben Browder's pissed they just didn't give him the part after his 4 year audition.
I really liked how this didn't ruin the continuity of the earlier Trek stuff but still homaged the originals. The Starfleet uniforms looked like Starfleet uniforms not generic black leather uniforms or 20th century clothes! Although one article dissed the movie's costumes for being too drab and not 'fabulous' (their words), I thought everybody looked appropriately spiffy and sci-fi.
I hope they don't rehash Khan or Klingons in the sequel. i want to see them do more with neglected alien species like the Gorn and Mugato.
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie EmptyThu May 28, 2009 1:50 pm

Being a geek, I can't get past the fact that Kirk's older brother is missing entirely.
I did enjoy the film, though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie EmptyThu May 28, 2009 8:54 pm

Big Trekkie here, and I enjoyed the movie. Smile

Calixar wrote:
Being a geek, I can't get past the fact that Kirk's older brother is missing entirely.

Actually, there was a scene shot with who was supposed to be George Kirk Jr. that actually made it into the final product, but the character was changed. Remember the scene where young Jim was driving the car down the road, and he calls out to his friend Johnny? That was shot as Jim calling out to his brother, but since all the other scenes with George were cut, they dubbed a different name, "Johnny", over "George" to make him just some friend of Jim's.
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 11:39 am

It's a shame they didn't keep it George. Also a shame they didn't explain in the movie that the car Kirk stole and destroyed was his father's and that his step-father planned to sell it. Great movie though. I saw it four times!
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 12:42 am

if i closed my eyes i couldnt tell deforest kelly wasnt on the screen.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 7:54 am

sorry guys. i'm a huge geek/trekker. this movie was dumbed down to appeal to a broader audience(like all of j.j. abrams works). i'm not saying it didn't work, seeing as how this thing made more money than any other star trek film. i can' t say how utterly disapointed i was. this was the worst star trek story i had ever sat through, and i call it fast and furious in outer space. i'm not saying the acting was bad, or the special effects, but if they had only written a story to go along with it, it would have been a good movie.
Back to top Go down
cinnur
cinnur

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2007-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 7:39 pm

With this most recent outing a commercial success, there is talk of a second film and what might be in it.
Of course William Shatner has been mentioned as a possibility.

Does anyone really care if Shatner makes it into one of these upcoming films?
I really don't. This recent film with Nimoy was the catalyst for the restart, why still hang on to the old when a successful relaunch has occured?
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 1:00 pm

I hope he doesn't.
I'd rather see him do TekWar on the big screen, and I don't want that, either.
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 1:14 pm

No more old cast members please! Loved Nimoy in the first but if they do it again it's just a gimmick. I'd also like it if they avoided rehashing old storylines.
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 12:06 pm

Yeah, unless they can come up with an entirely new take on one of the old stories, they're best relegated to reference material... for instance, an adventure starting right at the end of Kirk fighting the Gorn.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 10:24 pm

It was TOTAL CRAP! I cannot believe I actually spent money on this thing!

Time for an ebay sale on the movie and Enterprise case.
Back to top Go down
terrasolo
terrasolo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 9:50 am

Brilliant film to me, can't wait to see more of them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kasterborous.com
terrasolo
terrasolo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 9:52 am

jonwes wrote:
No more old cast members please! Loved Nimoy in the first but if they do it again it's just a gimmick. I'd also like it if they avoided rehashing old storylines.

I don't think we'll see any of that. The First film it was a necessity to show that Time was Alter so we can not have to be stuck with what came before it and so the audience can know that at any time our beloved characters can die. Their future is not written.

I think what JJ did was create a world that anyone could enjoy as there is no history to need to know now, it is all new from now on, so to bring back more past would alienate new viewers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kasterborous.com
CrochetOwl

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 2:42 pm

I am not a big fan of remakes but this was more of a restart to the series placing everything in an alternative universe so it didn't muck up what has already happened previously. I extremely enjoyed the movie and look forward to more.
Back to top Go down
gunzlingr
gunzlingr

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2007-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 1:43 pm

I thought it was OK. Not the grand epic like some claimed it to be. I thought the plot was weak, and had holes a Constellation Class starship could pass throught. I didn't like that Scotty was a complete goofball, or that the Enterprise became a flying arsenal.

I did like Karl Urban and Zoe Saladana tho, they really embodied McCoy and Uhura. Quinto was decent as well.
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 11:58 am

just gotta say..... i thought it was awsome. cant wait for the next one, and i really cant understand how anyone could hate it. well written excellent plot as far as i was concerned, and scotty always provided comic relief for me so i really dont understand what simon pegg did wrong, worst star trek movie plot bret...... i could drive nails in all the movies but at the end of the day i dont because i dont watch star trek or any other sci fi for that matter to destroy the plots. i think the acting and casting for that matter was awsome. i think they threw in some nods for hardcore fans while leaving some openings for there own new mythology. the kobiashi maru (forgive my spelling) scene is a perfect ex of this. ive wanted to see that since i was a child watching wrath of kahn. im really interested to know why people didnt like it other than bad plot, what was bad, didnt like it, why? imo it was great, and if i had one complaint it would be that its not a weekly tv show.
Back to top Go down
Nocturniah
Nocturniah

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 12:48 pm

I thought the movie was good enough, but there were a few scenes that I felt were poorly conceived, in direct contradiction to another scene, or hurt the flow of the movie (for me, anyway). My complaints all strike me as rather petty since they mostly involve the transporter (and my flashback to Star Wars Episode I when the smaller monster was eaten by the bigger one, “there’s always a bigger fish”). Even with my criticisms and complaints, I think the movie is good.

My biggest criticisms of the movie come when I look at it as a product of JJ Abrams. I like a lot of what Abrams does, but I think he’s got a very small bag of tricks. It seems like everything under the Bad Robot banner post-Lost has to have at least two of the following: one or more characters with parent issues (probably daddy issues), time travel/alternate realities/alternate timelines, and some sort of monster. Cloverfield might be the exception, but I am positive the monster was a child looking for its missing parent(s).
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/nocturniah
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 10:43 pm

simon pegg made a great scotty...wanted more scenes with him!!!!
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 10:45 pm

greenk9 wrote:
simon pegg made a great scotty...wanted more scenes with him!!!!
i could not agree more. should have more in the next one i hope. the joke about admiral archers prized begal was so funny my dad laughed out loud in the theatre.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 11:19 pm

The commentary on the DVD mentions that the Kelvin was originally intended to be the Enterprise from the original TV Series, and be destroyed. The new movie ship that is built 20 years later would have been the NCC-1701-A and become Kirk's ship. As a fan, I think this would have been a fantastic way to make the changed timeline more obvious!

But, the studio did not want to start the movie by blowing up the Enterprise!
Back to top Go down
onlynorris
onlynorris

Number of posts : 714
Registration date : 2007-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie EmptyFri Jan 15, 2010 4:30 pm

Loved it, bought it on blu-ray and loved it again.

I liked the whole new design of the ship but I wished they had in the engine room some giant engines.

I am a big kid really.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/onlynorris
Calixar
Calixar

PostSubject: Re: Latest Star Trek Movie   Latest Star Trek Movie EmptySat Jan 16, 2010 2:26 pm

Ronpur wrote:
The commentary on the DVD mentions that the Kelvin was originally intended to be the Enterprise from the original TV Series, and be destroyed. The new movie ship that is built 20 years later would have been the NCC-1701-A and become Kirk's ship. As a fan, I think this would have been a fantastic way to make the changed timeline more obvious!

But, the studio did not want to start the movie by blowing up the Enterprise!

Strangely, I think this would have done wonders for my enjoyment of the movie.
Back to top Go down

Latest Star Trek Movie
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next