CJSchmidt
6 posters
AuthorMessage
CJSchmidt
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

Doctor #5 on PBS! Empty
PostSubject: Doctor #5 on PBS!   Doctor #5 on PBS! EmptySun Dec 09, 2007 9:37 pm

My local PBS station ran the final Tom Baker episode last week. I tuned in this week fully expecting to watch "Robot" and was delighted to see "Castrovalva" instead.

Maybe this isn't a big deal, but most places I have lived are permanently stuck reliving the 1970s over and over again. I haven't seen much of Peter Davison, and after the C.I.N. special I'm very excited.
Back to top Go down
LakeErieMonster
LakeErieMonster

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2007-02-05

Doctor #5 on PBS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor #5 on PBS!   Doctor #5 on PBS! EmptyMon Dec 10, 2007 7:22 pm

grew up in Cleveland on 5th,6th,7th. Stuck in Cincy since '99 and have been able to catch up on 3rd,4th.

That worked out well.
Back to top Go down
gregtdj
gregtdj

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-06-19

Doctor #5 on PBS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor #5 on PBS!   Doctor #5 on PBS! EmptyFri Dec 14, 2007 6:48 pm

I grew up in Southeastern Illinois, they ran 5, but don't think they went on to 6, just looped back to the 4th.
Back to top Go down
CJSchmidt
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

Doctor #5 on PBS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor #5 on PBS!   Doctor #5 on PBS! EmptyMon Dec 17, 2007 7:09 pm

Just thought I'd follow up.
Castrovalva finished up sat night and I enjoyed the heck out of it. Can't wait for next week to see Davison get in the game (he spends most of this arc asleep or bumbling around suffering from a rough regeneration).
Back to top Go down
LakeErieMonster
LakeErieMonster

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2007-02-05

Doctor #5 on PBS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor #5 on PBS!   Doctor #5 on PBS! EmptyTue Dec 18, 2007 12:26 am

beware******* warriors of the deep episode!*********
It would be okay to miss. I remember really being into DW and that episode really almost made me drop off. I had to keep reminding myself "it's their budget what can you do"
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Doctor #5 on PBS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor #5 on PBS!   Doctor #5 on PBS! EmptyTue Dec 18, 2007 12:37 am

Guess I was spoiled living outside of chicago, they showed every doctor when it became available. Although when I was a wee little timetot the PBS station in Kansas that I first saw Who on was the first US station to buy Peter Davison and my family moved before I could see him premiere!!
Back to top Go down
eaglekiller
eaglekiller

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2008-07-31

Doctor #5 on PBS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor #5 on PBS!   Doctor #5 on PBS! EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 8:20 pm

My PBS hasn't shown Doctor Who in years. I grew up watching the fourth Doctor mostly. They showed 6 and 7 then they were new too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theraggmopps.com
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

Doctor #5 on PBS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor #5 on PBS!   Doctor #5 on PBS! EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 10:42 pm

my local pbs in chicago has been showing series 2 in it's second cycle. I really really hope they will get the rights to the classics because some of my vhs tapes from the early 90s have been past the point of repair and I now have a dvdr. It is up to the nagging fans to write to their local stations and support of course.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Doctor #5 on PBS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor #5 on PBS!   Doctor #5 on PBS! EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 11:20 pm

I am sure most of the PBS stations today may feel that the classic series is too 'vintage' I loved it when WTTW 11 showed them as movies. I first saw the program as episodes.

I have been lucky to have a friend to make me DVD copies of the shows. I still buy the commercial releases as they come out. I love the extras they include in them.

I answered phones to show my support, heck I have been on TV too doing it! It was a weird experience.
Back to top Go down
amagon
amagon

Number of posts : 2763
Registration date : 2007-02-04

Doctor #5 on PBS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor #5 on PBS!   Doctor #5 on PBS! EmptyTue Sep 02, 2008 5:35 pm

Me too! Of course, that's when there was at least ONE nice person there at PBS. I forget to put that on my work resume, that I volunteered.

After she left (couldn't take it anymore), they stopped. One time, one of the sleezebags (sorry) came to one of my club's meetings. He said, IF they consider to bring Dr WHO back (this was say, 10 years ago), they need $1,000 (to think about it), then want people to send money in to keep it going!

Now, when series 1 came out, they played it... ONCE! Never again with anything Dr WHO!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Doctor #5 on PBS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor #5 on PBS!   Doctor #5 on PBS! EmptyTue Sep 02, 2008 6:02 pm

We were asking the station programmer in between begging breaks why they werent carrying the McCoy final season. The answer we got was that Lionheart wanted a disgustingly LARGE amount of money - $20,000.00 per episode, not story, EPISODE, for only three airings!
This was also when Sci-Fi was getting ready to start airing so there was something of a bidding war going on.

The PBS station was grateful for our support and were surprised that we watched more than just Doctor Who. We just let them know that we felt Doctor Who was the program that needed the pledge support to make sure they understood how much we liked it.
Back to top Go down
amagon
amagon

Number of posts : 2763
Registration date : 2007-02-04

Doctor #5 on PBS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor #5 on PBS!   Doctor #5 on PBS! EmptyTue Sep 02, 2008 6:37 pm

Holey crud! In Orlando, we were lucky to see them all ("movie" versions).
Back to top Go down

Doctor #5 on PBS!
Page 1 of 1