26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

Doctor Who MOVIE coming? Empty
PostSubject: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Doctor Who MOVIE coming? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 3:39 pm

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118046098

Harry Potter director David Yates is doing it.

And it'll be a clean slate. Not devised as part of the TV series continuity. At least, that's the plan now.

Last edited by jaredofmo on Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7000
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Doctor Who MOVIE coming? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 4:01 pm

I saw that, too. Interesting...
Back to top Go down
Capt. Nate

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2010-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Doctor Who MOVIE coming? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 4:15 pm

While I do think this is interesting, not really in a good way. The show is still on and I don't really like the idea of 2 Doctor's out there at the same time with different timelines. Unless of course, they are planning on ending the show...
Back to top Go down
jfh1970
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1850
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Doctor Who MOVIE coming? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 4:16 pm

Considering that other tv shows have had a shot at the big screen it's only fair that DW gets another one. I'm just worried that the tv series will come to an end as a result. I also dread the long debates of whether this movie is canon or not as well.
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Doctor Who MOVIE coming? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 4:28 pm

The Peter Cushing movies didn't end Who in the 60s.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
CGren123
CGren123

Number of posts : 2368
Registration date : 2009-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Doctor Who MOVIE coming? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 4:42 pm

I'm in a mixed bag about this.

I'm all for a Dr Who movie, but I'd rather it tie into the TV canon. Imagine it, Paul McGann's Doctor back for another shot. Don't show the Time War, just show him being the Eighth Doctor alongside a Companion.

I hope the figures are in scale!
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Doctor Who MOVIE coming? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 6:31 pm

Calixar wrote:
The Peter Cushing movies didn't end Who in the 60s.

This is my thoughts on the subject. It's just a revival of the Cushing movies, which in and of themselves are not offensive. If they follow the Cushing formula, I'd like to nominate Inferno, Frontier in Space, and Genesis of the Daleks for big screen treatment.
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Doctor Who MOVIE coming? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 7:32 pm

I think a clean slate makes sense. For one thing, if you try to have the same Doctor on TV go to the movies, you run into the problem of people not feeling they should pay money to go see the same thing they could on TV. So it's partially a good marketing move.

Also, you don't have to worry about explaining any back story (though, as they showed in 2005 you don't have to reboot to avoid that.)

But it does make me nervous. I think a big-screen Doctor freed of some budgetary restraints could be amazing. It could also go horribly wrong.
And it does make me worry a bit about the TV series. Are they okay with two Doctors knocking about at the same time? Would they rest the series to build excitement for the movie after next series in the same way that they have forbade new Star Trek TV series while the JJ Abrams movies are on the big screen?
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Doctor Who MOVIE coming? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 7:39 pm

I'd just like to say I'd like to see James Calis as the Doctor and Gary Oldman as the Master.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Doctor Who MOVIE coming? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 7:52 pm

Rust wrote:
I'd just like to say I'd like to see James Calis as the Doctor and Gary Oldman as the Master.

That would rock cheers
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Doctor Who MOVIE coming? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 8:19 pm

There have been way too many false starts on movies for me to even get excited about this. Anything can happen in 3 years they say they want to take. And I highly doubt the BBC will end Doctor Who in the near future on TV,it is way too popular.
Back to top Go down
Rocco
Rocco

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Doctor Who MOVIE coming? EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 9:05 pm

If this does happen, in needs to be a COMPLETE stand alone. And it also needs to go with the times, meaning whatever doctor is on the show needs to be in the movie same with companions etc..
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Doctor Who MOVIE coming? EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 1:40 am

I like the idea of it giving McGann another filmed story.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Doctor Who MOVIE coming? EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 1:41 am

I can see it right now: Jason Statham is the Doctor in Doctor Who ninja kicks the Daleks.
Back to top Go down
amagon
amagon

Number of posts : 2763
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Doctor Who MOVIE coming? EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 4:23 pm

Calixar wrote:
I like the idea of it giving McGann another filmed story.

This SHOULD BE McGann in his new outfit, fighting in the last battle of The TIME WAR! Releasing his specific TARDIS, various characters, and a regenerated 9th Dr!

I would also want a 3 3/4" scale line for this movie (plus current scale), so I can have my Dr with a proper size TARDIS.

bounce
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Doctor Who MOVIE coming? EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 4:31 pm

Agreed on the new outfit. That leather peacoat is awesome. I think a story less continuity laden would be better, though. Perhaps a hint at the end that he's headed to Gallifrey due to a summons from the High Council that all Time Lords come immediately...
Back to top Go down
rmlextreme
rmlextreme

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Doctor Who MOVIE coming? EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 9:18 pm

I just saw the Movie segment on TV Tonight. First I want to see a Toy bidding war Mattel
Hasbro or CO.

Time War sounds the most Logical but they said they wanted a fresh story line.

Dare I say it ok ill will The need George ILM, THX put some $$$$$$$ into this.

The Mcgann movie I saw in 1996 at the time it had some nice Special effects from the time. But it looked like a Lifetime movie lol. This Movie should not be in 3-D cause it gives me a sour stomach Sad.

How about an Avatar companion...GET jim cameron on the phone
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Doctor Who MOVIE coming? EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 10:11 pm

I'm kind of happy about this- because for 1- he is a very good director. I'm o.k. with a clean salte- heck it worked for batman....
The reality is you kind of have to do a clean slate to introduce a character into the mainstream... it can be risky. It all boils down to good writing...which can make or break any movie or tv show.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Doctor Who MOVIE coming? EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 10:58 pm

They should take a cue from Star Trek, and show his first adventure. Show how(and why) he became a renegade from Gallifrey and stole the TARDIS with Susan!
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Doctor Who MOVIE coming? EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 11:35 pm

The BBC is now saying that while a movie is in development, nothing's set in stone.
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Doctor Who MOVIE coming? EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 12:15 am

i would love to see a well concieved trilogy with mcgan, culminating to the end of the time war and chris comming back for a regeneration scene, with the three movies fitting nicely embetween the tv movie and the reboot of the series. i would love to see this but there is no way in heck they will ever do it. lol

also to piggyback ronpur, a well thought out story of the doctors early origins would be exciting. they could go with a new actor and touch on the doctors early years pre hartnell old age, or the thing ive always been intrigued by which is hartnell is the first one we saw, but maybe he wasn't the first incarnation.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Doctor Who MOVIE coming? EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 12:33 am

Oh interesting. Smile I hope Matt gets to be in it. cheers Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

Number of posts : 1274
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Doctor Who MOVIE coming? EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 1:46 am

In 2015, Robert Pattinson is.....

DOCTOR WHO?

To quote another Sci Fi franchise...

I have a bad feeling about this.

On the other hand, we could finally get....

TIME WAR. Have it be a transition from McGann to Eccleston. There you go. New fans brought in. Old fans appeased. They should hire ME to write it!!!!
lol!
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Doctor Who MOVIE coming? EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 9:47 am

I'd thought the best idea for a film is the current Doctor and a one-off companion in a story too big for TV.

Time War, another adventure with the Eighth Doctor, or "How it all began" would also be great story concepts, offering the chance to look back while the TV show would keep going forward.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Doctor Who MOVIE coming? EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 10:19 am

And I can't help but think of the missed opportunity of having started this 2 years ago for a 2013 release.
Back to top Go down

Doctor Who MOVIE coming?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: