10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
artanyus
artanyus

Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2010-03-14

Nwe Cybermats for Series 6 Empty
PostSubject: Nwe Cybermats for Series 6   Nwe Cybermats for Series 6 EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 11:34 pm

For those who have long awaited the return of the cybermat, we finally get to see them. The BBC released the monster files on the cybermat to iTunes season pass holders for series 6 of Doctor Who including clips from episode 12 "Closing Time" where we get to see the little monsters.

The inset picture at the bottom right shows us what it looks like with the mouth hidden as well. Thoughts, concerns, general comments, I'm curious to see how they will come into play now that I know they are coming back. It's been too long since we've seen cybermats.

Nwe Cybermats for Series 6 DWCybermat
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Nwe Cybermats for Series 6   Nwe Cybermats for Series 6 EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 11:56 pm

Aww.....the cybermats used to be so cute....

But anyway...hmm....not much to comment on until we see them, I guess.
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Nwe Cybermats for Series 6   Nwe Cybermats for Series 6 EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 12:46 am

I love the concept of Cybermats, how they've been used in the Classic series & audios, and I love what I've seen of the redesign so far, but...

I'm a little apprehensive about their return under Moffat. For me, he's ruined every element of the Classics that he's touched - Daleks, Cybermen, Sontarans, Silurians, The Console Room, and The Doctor.

One change he's already made to them that we know of (from "The Rebel Flesh") is that instead of being used to sabotage electronics and infect people with viruses, they now just kill people by "feeding on their brainwaves" (why they need teeth for that I guess we'll find out).

Hopefully the little buggers turn out to be awesome and I get to buy lots of full size RC toys of them!
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Nwe Cybermats for Series 6   Nwe Cybermats for Series 6 EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 5:18 am

The mouth seems excessive, but I'll reserve judgment till I see it in action.
Back to top Go down
jfh1970
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1850
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Nwe Cybermats for Series 6   Nwe Cybermats for Series 6 EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 7:39 am

Ewwww, how hideous. It reminds of the Sarlacc Pit and those things from Tremors. alien
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Nwe Cybermats for Series 6   Nwe Cybermats for Series 6 EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 7:59 am

What is cool is they are not just purely mechanical creatures anymore, but have the 'human' element of their masters.

Hope they get released with 'No-C' cyberman figures after the season airs.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Nwe Cybermats for Series 6   Nwe Cybermats for Series 6 EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 9:07 am

I like the teeth, at least the cybermat will remind viewers that there is something organic in the Cyber-race, not like these horrible robotic Cybusmen!

REDESIGN!!!

But not by the designers of the Daleks and Silurians.
Back to top Go down
jfh1970
jfh1970

PostSubject: Re: Nwe Cybermats for Series 6   Nwe Cybermats for Series 6 EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 11:13 am

Whoosier Whovian wrote:
What is cool is they are not just purely mechanical creatures anymore, but have the 'human' element of their masters.

Hope they get released with 'No-C' cyberman figures after the season airs.

I seem to remember reading a DW book called Illegal Alien by Mike Tucker where there's an encounter with a Cybermat. I don't remember the details, but I do remember that it was pointed out that before conversion it was either a rat or a cat (faulty memory). Regardless I thought it was a cool way to explain their origins and found them more horrifying knowing that they weren't just little, mechanical assassins.
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

PostSubject: Re: Nwe Cybermats for Series 6   Nwe Cybermats for Series 6 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 4:16 am

If anyone has ordered the entire season through itunes, there's a special exclusive "Monster Files" on the Cybermats available for viewing now.

It shows a scene from the episode (12, btw) where...
Spoiler:

There's also a description of the episode
Spoiler:

Here's a pic with the mouth "shut"
Nwe Cybermats for Series 6 Photo-11

And the concept art
Nwe Cybermats for Series 6 Photo-4
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Nwe Cybermats for Series 6   Nwe Cybermats for Series 6 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 6:18 am

Toooooooo cool! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
rdks
rdks

PostSubject: Re: Nwe Cybermats for Series 6   Nwe Cybermats for Series 6 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 6:44 am

rdks wrote:
One change he's already made to them that we know of (from "The Rebel Flesh") is that instead of being used to sabotage electronics and infect people with viruses, they now just kill people by "feeding on their brainwaves" (why they need teeth for that I guess we'll find out).
My mistake. "Feeding on their brainwaves" was originally said by the Second Doctor in Tomb of the Cybermen. I shall force myself to rewatch The Rebel Flesh as punishment for such a glaring error.

jfh1970 wrote:
...but I do remember that it was pointed out that before conversion it was either a rat or a cat...
In Illegal Alien, they used cats and birds since those were the small creatures available to them. According to Spare Parts, there were small creatures called "mats" that were both a pest and kept as pets on Mondas.

Scary wrote:
Toooooooo cool! Very Happy
Oh yeah!
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Nwe Cybermats for Series 6   Nwe Cybermats for Series 6 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 8:10 am

Oh, those are awesome!! I would almost put up with another Cybusman to get one of those!
Back to top Go down
artanyus
artanyus

Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Nwe Cybermats for Series 6   Nwe Cybermats for Series 6 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 12:05 pm

I am definitely liking the cybermat. I look forward to seeing them in action.
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

PostSubject: Re: Nwe Cybermats for Series 6   Nwe Cybermats for Series 6 EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 9:18 am

Finally found the itunes clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW7F5HnAKgE

Warning - MAJOR spoilers!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Nwe Cybermats for Series 6   Nwe Cybermats for Series 6 EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 9:56 am

great!
Back to top Go down
jfh1970
jfh1970

PostSubject: Re: Nwe Cybermats for Series 6   Nwe Cybermats for Series 6 EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 1:54 pm

rdks wrote:
Finally found the itunes clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW7F5HnAKgE

Warning - MAJOR spoilers!

I can't wait to see this episode. Looks really good even if Craig is in it. I hope they make large sized Cybermats in the future. I know I would definitely be interested in buying one and putting it next to my Time Lord telepathic cube. geek
Back to top Go down
Rocco
Rocco

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Nwe Cybermats for Series 6   Nwe Cybermats for Series 6 EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 2:02 pm

I can't believe how many people actually like the new Cybermat design. Especially because a lot of people on this forum hate the newer redone monsters or anything in the Moffat Era at that.

In my opinion its definitely freaky. I have only seen one Episode of the Cybermats in Classic Who so this is almost like my first experience with it.
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

PostSubject: Re: Nwe Cybermats for Series 6   Nwe Cybermats for Series 6 EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 2:59 pm

Rocco wrote:
I can't believe how many people actually like the new Cybermat design. Especially because a lot of people on this forum hate the newer redone monsters or anything in the Moffat Era at that..
I'm one of those people you described, and I love the new design. It's really not much different from the Classic design (other than Revenge). It's just been "modernized" a little, and the googly-eyes are gone and replaced with eyes similar to the Cybermen, which makes them fit in better and look less goofy.

It's not like they did something really daft with them like make them all rainbow colours or anything. Wink

I'm sure I'll approve of how they're used in the story as well. From what I've seen of the episode they're used very well, and it's written by Gareth Roberts who has a proven track record with me (The Lodger, The Shakespeare Code, about 12 eps of Sarah Jane, as well as 2 of my favourite BF audios - The One Doctor and Bang Bang-a-Boom, among others).
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Nwe Cybermats for Series 6   Nwe Cybermats for Series 6 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 4:40 pm

artanyus wrote:
For those who have long awaited the return of the cybermat, we finally get to see them. The BBC released the monster files on the cybermat to iTunes season pass holders for series 6 of Doctor Who including clips from episode 12 "Closing Time" where we get to see the little monsters.

The inset picture at the bottom right shows us what it looks like with the mouth hidden as well. Thoughts, concerns, general comments, I'm curious to see how they will come into play now that I know they are coming back. It's been too long since we've seen cybermats.

Nwe Cybermats for Series 6 DWCybermat

They look CREEPY!! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Nwe Cybermats for Series 6   Nwe Cybermats for Series 6 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 5:05 pm

I'm good with them being creepy. Too often have I heard the old ones described as "cute."
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Nwe Cybermats for Series 6   Nwe Cybermats for Series 6 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 5:48 pm

Calixar wrote:
I'm good with them being creepy. Too often have I heard the old ones described as "cute."

true.
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2205
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Nwe Cybermats for Series 6   Nwe Cybermats for Series 6 EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 5:02 pm

I didn't like The Shakespeare Code or The Lodger so I'm worried about this episode. The new Cybermats look good even though I prefer the concept art.
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Nwe Cybermats for Series 6   Nwe Cybermats for Series 6 EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 5:40 pm

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
I didn't like The Shakespeare Code or The Lodger so I'm worried about this episode. The new Cybermats look good even though I prefer the concept art.

I liked The Lodger but not The Shakespeare Code. Razz Yes new Cybermats look cool. Episode 12 I assume?
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Nwe Cybermats for Series 6   Nwe Cybermats for Series 6 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 10:58 am

I think what's also being missed is the fact that these 'robots' are actually real living things. The Cybermen are humans, and who know's, the Cybermats could be upgraded rats? LOL
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Nwe Cybermats for Series 6   Nwe Cybermats for Series 6 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 12:28 pm

Scary wrote:
I think what's also being missed is the fact that these 'robots' are actually real living things. The Cybermen are humans, and who know's, the Cybermats could be upgraded rats? LOL

Which is why i hate the cybus design.....too robotic. I loved the men in cybersuit design of the old days. The horror of a captive being cut up and put in a suit has been lost recently. That is why I loved Attack, it showed the effects of becoming a Cyberman quite well.

Sigh, Spare Parts, anyone?
Back to top Go down

Nwe Cybermats for Series 6
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: