Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeSearchRegisterLog inThe Who North America Online StoreLatest images

After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith?

Go down 
+15
CJSchmidt
LakeErieMonster
greenk9
gunzlingr
SonicGirl
Vicki
hitman hart
bret_owen99
artanyus
Ronpur
rdks
Doctor Who Freak
mysterylad
Clavius
exilea
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

What is your opinion of Matt Smith after his first episode?
Absolutely brilliant!
After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? Vote_lcap49%After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? Vote_rcap
 49% [ 21 ]
Great!
After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? Vote_lcap30%After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? Vote_rcap
 30% [ 13 ]
He can go far with a little work..
After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? Vote_lcap9%After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? Vote_rcap
 9% [ 4 ]
Hmm, didn't like him that much
After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? Vote_lcap5%After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? Vote_rcap
 5% [ 2 ]
I think he's good, but Moffat isn't!
After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? Vote_lcap2%After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
No, no, no! He's rubbish!
After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? Vote_lcap5%After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? Vote_rcap
 5% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 43

AuthorMessage
Anonymous

After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? Empty
PostSubject: After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith?   After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 2:24 pm

Tell, tell, tell! I want to know everyone's opinions, although they have been put out there already. But heck, lets do it all over again! Its not like I have anything else better to do! Laughing

I personally loved him. He's a great actor and has great potential. I hope he does well and gives a Whovian exactly what he/she wants out of the Doctor!

Jon
Back to top Go down
exilea
exilea

Number of posts : 380
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith?   After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 2:42 pm

Matt was fantastic! He came out of the box (no pun intended) swinging! And he can only get better from here. I hope everyone who judged him based on his age and how he parted his hair feel really stupid now because Matt+Moffat= possibly the best season of Doctor Who EVER! Smile
Back to top Go down
Clavius
Clavius

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2007-10-03

PostSubject: Re: After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith?   After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 3:24 pm

Barry Letts was the genius who was responsible for casting Tom Baker, and I think Stephen Moffat will be viewed much the same way about Matt Smith!

Fish Custard! Smile
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1660
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith?   After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 3:30 pm

No matter how one feels about the episode itself, I can't see how anyone could fail to be impressed with Smith. He nailed it right out of the gate, a feat few Doctors can boast.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cmichaelhall.com
Doctor Who Freak
Doctor Who Freak

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2009-08-08

PostSubject: Re: After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith?   After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 4:04 pm

My little brother wants to eat fish and custard now! Laughing Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith?   After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 4:57 pm

It'd be good if Matt's Doctor goes mad for apples like Tom's Doctor did with Jelly Babies!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith?   After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 6:03 pm

I can't honestly vote right now. The episode was interesting, but it wasn't exactly leaving me squeeing with delight, as so many other fans have been reporting. I like Matt Smith, I think he did a great job, but it's nothing like, "OH MY GOSH WOW HE'S SO SPECIAL!" I'm just not feeling it right now. Then again, when I first watched Doctor Who, starting with series 2, it took about two episodes for me to like Ten and half of season 1 to like Nine... the only one I liked right from the start was Four.

And the alien had wicked teeth, which kept me from really squeeing about much of anything. I like how the show started with humour for Eleven. That was a real help, especially when it was about food. It was bittersweet when Eleven changed into his own clothing. It was good to see him out of Ten's clothes, but at the same time, it was officially over for Ten.

One thing I do know is that I am absolutely thrilled about the music! I do not like the new opening credits at all. It reminds me of the X-Files theme and the way it's done is just kind of weird. My friend told me how it resembled a cross between the X-Files and Stargate SG-1. I agree on this a little, because the time vortex looks like the one in SG-1.

I LOVE the TARDIS interior.
~
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith?   After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 6:13 pm

To me, he's already the Doctor. I've been watching since the Doc 3-4 regeneration and I've NEVER accepted a new Doctor so fast. Heck, I still haven't accepted Eccelston! But when I look at Matt, he is the Doctor. I see Hartnell, Pat, Jon, all of them behind his eyes, if that makes any sense.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith?   After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 8:31 pm

He is the Doctor...no question! I think that it was a great idea to film his first story in a later block. Gave him time to get his Doctor in order. So I wonder if that will cause problems in the later episodes.
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1660
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith?   After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 8:48 pm

rdks wrote:
To me, he's already the Doctor...I've NEVER accepted a new Doctor so fast.

Agreed 100%. I didn't accept Davison until he'd already announced he was leaving, and I only recently learned to appreciate Colin Baker!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cmichaelhall.com
artanyus
artanyus

Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith?   After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 10:46 pm

I'm reserving my final decision until after I have seen a few more episodes. From what I saw in "Eleventh Hour" I will say that he has potential, and can certainly really go somewhere with it. He just needs to settle into his niche as the Doctor.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith?   After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 12:32 am

as much as i hate to admit it, matt smith is a great actor, and was the best choice they had. the only cons: there were a few moments in the 11th hour where i felt he broke the 4th wall(telling the old woman she hadn't seen him before, he was brand new). the doctor shouldn't do that(i know it was the writing, but still.). another thing i've seen in future episodes(at least in the trailers, i haven't seen any future episodes, don't misquote me), is that he likes to twirl around a bit on his feet. i don't know if that's supposed to be jack sparrow like, or what, but the doctor shouldn't be that light in his loafers. apart from a few lines in the eleventh hour where he was still trying to hold onto tenant's persona(intentionally, so people could get over #10), i think he made the doctor his own. my only complaint isn't with him, but with the fans right now. i know it's a difference of opinion, but i don't see anything of patrick troughton in him apart from his outfit(yes, i have pat's episodes, and i'm a big fan of doc2). to me, he is unique, more like tom baker. i mean when doc3 regenerated, we went from a karate chopping know it all scientist, to a jelly baby offering hippy. i think smith will be completely different than tennant, or any other doctor.
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith?   After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 2:07 am

Clavius wrote:
Barry Letts was the genius who was responsible for casting Tom Baker, and I think Stephen Moffat will be viewed much the same way about Matt Smith!

Fish Custard! Smile
actually it was bill slater laying in bed with his wife reading a letter tom had written demanding employment. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith?   After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 2:09 am

scarywood wrote:
It'd be good if Matt's Doctor goes mad for apples like Tom's Doctor did with Jelly Babies!
well with moffat i was sure it would have been banana's, i mean the first two eps he wrote had major banana refferences. the moff must have a thing for fruit. bom
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith?   After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 10:02 am

I thought he was brilliant.

He had me at "apples."
Back to top Go down
Vicki
Vicki

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-03

PostSubject: Re: After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith?   After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 10:12 am

I thought Matt was wonderful! I think I'm gonna like him a lot...he's definitely got the part down well! David is still my favorite -- he was pretty much my Doctor from the first time I saw him, and I was heartbroken when he regenerated, even though we all knew it was going to happen...but Matt's take on the character so far is going to be fun to watch, and I really like him...so I plan to keep watching!
Back to top Go down
http://www.livejournal.com/users/fleurette
SonicGirl
SonicGirl

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith?   After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 10:37 am

The new titles was 1 REALLY BAD thing,but the rest was BRILL! Can't wait for the next one.Smile
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith?   After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 6:50 pm

toyosaurus wrote:
I thought he was brilliant.

He had me at "apples."

He had me when he jumped up after his regeneration after EOT! And I was so sad just seconds earlier! Then BAM! This guy looks fun!
Back to top Go down
gunzlingr
gunzlingr

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2007-11-30

PostSubject: Re: After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith?   After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 10:59 am

I thought he was magnificent. It took a bit to warm to 9 and 10, but Smith immediately convinced me that he is the Doctor.
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith?   After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 9:17 pm

I do quite like him- I got so tired of the other forums bashing the poor fellow before they even saw him. In DWM Moffat said that Matt tried out for the part of Sherlock as Dr. Watson...but Moffat like his eccentricities and felt that he would have made a better Sherlock than a Watson...which latter lead him to...hmmm what about Dr. Who? There is a certain natural quirkiness of his own personality- he acts real doctor-like.
Back to top Go down
LakeErieMonster
LakeErieMonster

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2007-02-05

PostSubject: Re: After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith?   After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 2:06 pm

For some reason I really enjoyed the part where he kept standing on his toes to appear taller when meeting Jeff? was it.
Back to top Go down
CJSchmidt
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith?   After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 2:39 pm

I can't say I "like" him better than David Tennant yet, but I think he has a shot at being a better Doctor. if anything, Tennant might have been too likable. Smith is alien and mysterious - which, I think, will make for fantastic television.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith?   After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 7:10 am

Matt has done a fantastic job so far. I believed he was the doctor right away and as the show progresses he will get better and better.
Back to top Go down
cinnur
cinnur

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2007-03-01

PostSubject: Re: After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith?   After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? EmptySun Apr 25, 2010 4:33 pm

He is off to an excellent start and one of the best regen stories ever.
Back to top Go down
Nuggan
Nuggan

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2010-07-04

PostSubject: Re: After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith?   After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith? EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 8:33 pm

I'm loving Matt Smith. I'm having Tennant withdrawal, but Matt is making it SO much easier.

Also, there is so much in series 5 that went right over my head because I didn't have the past series history. Now, rewatching 5 it's even better!

When 11 rages at the Daleks in "Victory of the Daleks" it all makes so much sense now that I've seen "Journey's End." It helps to see that TEN really isn't gone gone.
Back to top Go down

After his first episode, what is your opinion of Matt Smith?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next