CJSchmidt
timewarrior
Calixar
terrasolo
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK. Empty
PostSubject: TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK.   TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK. EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 12:03 pm

From the DW News Page...

Quote :
The new release will be part of the Revisitaions box set, which will
consist of new editions of stories that were previously released in the
early days of the DVD schedule.

The TV Move special edition will include a documentary called The Seven Year Hitch,
which looks at producer Philip Segal's long quest to get the project
into production and talks to Segal himself, as well as writer Matthew
Jacobs and the BBC 1 controller Alan Yentob.

There is no confirmed release date for the Box Set, nor is it known if the story will finally be available in North America.

I'm really digging the documentary idea - the original release should've had it, frankly. The documentary will have a steep climb if it hopes to measure up to the book "Regeneration" by Segal and Gary Russell, but this is simply an "era" of Who that needs an in-depth examination.

I've always had a great deal of fondness for the McGann movie, and not as some sort of guilty pleasure either - I genuinely liked it from the first time I saw it, and despite the shift in fandom's tastes that seem to have dictated that it's crap, I think it presages a lot of what we've come to accept in the new series - the sparkly stuff that revives Grace and Chang Lee isn't a million miles away from the "heart of the TARDIS" FX in Bad Wolf and Parting Of The Ways. (And let's not even get into snogging every companion who walks into the TARDIS - McGann started that trend too!) So I'm really looking forward to seeing it examined in greater depth; it'd be neat to see some mention what Segal thinks of the current series.
Back to top Go down
terrasolo
terrasolo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK.   TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK. EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 4:36 pm

It's nice to hear someone else say that Earl Green. I loved the TVM too and still do. Any inconstancies that people complain about are really not an issue for em. The show has been full of them and everyone can be explained away easily.

I have high hopes that this will get released her, but sadly the rationale part of my brain knows that it won't.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kasterborous.com
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK.   TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK. EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 11:48 pm

The only thing I would cut from the movie is the line about meeting the right guy and him being an alien. And only because it didn't fit where they put it in. It just didn't make sense in the context of when she said it.
I liked the movie... it was no worse than some stories in the 80's.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
timewarrior
timewarrior

Number of posts : 4016
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK.   TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK. EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 8:28 am

I would have them elaborate on the half human thing. He seems to say it almost self deprecatingly or is it part of the TARDIS's safe guards? Also, I like Eric Roberts portrayal of the master, it was over the top, just like I pictured the character. Also, considering the level of desperation the master was at at that moment. . .it fits.
Back to top Go down
terrasolo
terrasolo

PostSubject: Re: TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK.   TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK. EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 11:04 am

Calixar wrote:
The only thing I would cut from the movie is the line about meeting the right guy and him being an alien. And only because it didn't fit where they put it in. It just didn't make sense in the context of when she said it.
I liked the movie... it was no worse than some stories in the 80's.

I can see that Calixar, it was a bit oddly place, or maybe left over from a previous version or something.

On the Half Human thing though, timewarrior, If the Doctor just said it where he did, then we could write it off as a distraction, but with the master saying that his retinas were human, then we have to assume that the Doctor was not lying.

That said, and first let me say that I don't mind that he is half human as it hasn't changed anything about the characters past for me, but there is another way to look at it. Something I thought of about a year ago I guess.

The Doctor was in surgery before he died. In a surgery like that they give you blood transfusions. O blood if they can't place yours. So when he regenerated he had human blood in him. This human blood is part of him now, and when his body regenerates every single cell in his body changes. This new blood becomes bart of those changed cells. Those cells could have reformed as eyes. In the 9th Doctor they could be a liver, the 10th Doctor they could be a kidney, and possibly after Human Nature, the Doctor is full Time Lord again.

So when the Doctor said he was half Human, it could have just been a distraction and when the Master saw his eyes, it just happened to look like a true statement at the time.

But, that said, it is an interesting theory, if I do say so myself, but I don't mind the Half Human thing mainly because the character is still the same character to me.

But like timewarrior said, I would not mind some more elaboration on it one day. Nothing major, just a bit of more detail.
Back to top Go down
CJSchmidt
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK.   TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK. EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 11:50 am

I hadn't thought of the blood transfusion angle... I like it, though it's obvious that's not what the writers had in mind at the time. Would be a nice Tennant aside to retcon things. "I was human once - Weeeeell, part human. Blood transfusion, regeneration, took years to sort that mess out. Nice hair though."
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK.   TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK. EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 1:08 pm

Very clever take on the half-human theory there Brian - I like it!

I never really had a problem with the half-human thing either, really - it explained quite a bit (i.e. why, in Survival, the Doctor's jump "home" brings him to Earth rather than Gallifrey or straight into the TARDIS, or for that matter why he hangs out around Earth so much to begin with).
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1660
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK.   TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK. EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 1:37 pm

Someone elsewhere had mentioned that this release would also have a "Stripped for Action: The Eighth Doctor" feature. Any corroboration on this? The Eighth Doctor strips in DWM were really quite good: strong storytelling, good pacing, "widescreen" action bits...if you ask me, the modern series took quite a few cues from the TVM and the comic strips.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cmichaelhall.com
Drathro

Number of posts : 463
Registration date : 2007-11-21

PostSubject: Re: TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK.   TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK. EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 2:09 pm

mysterylad wrote:
Someone elsewhere had mentioned that this release would also have a "Stripped for Action: The Eighth Doctor" feature. Any corroboration on this?

That was me here

https://whona.forumotion.com/other-items-up-for-discussion-f12/upcoming-dvd-releases-t2163-25.htm

and it has now been confirmed by Steve Roberts here

http://www.zetaminor.com/roobarb/showthread.php?t=32547&page=2
Back to top Go down
http://www.freeconsolesandgames.co.uk
terrasolo
terrasolo

PostSubject: Re: TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK.   TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK. EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 4:19 pm

Glad you guys like the idea, as I said I don't mind the half human thing, but I know it bugs some people so it just seemed like a valid idea. And yes I agree the writers definitely did not have that in mind.
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK.   TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK. EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 4:52 pm

terrasolo wrote:
I don't mind the half human thing, but I know it bugs some people

I completely detest the idea, and Eric Roberts, but I love the movie. I have to. It says "Doctor Who" at the beginning so really I have no choice. I'm thrilled they're re-releasing the DVD. Doesn't bother me if it's UK-only, the last one was. I just bought one from ebay and printed an R1 cover (on the back of the UK one so it's reversible ), looks great.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK.   TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK. EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 6:46 pm

I wish they would come up with some way to get it released here in the USA. I really enjoy the stripped for action feature.
Back to top Go down
CrochetOwl

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK.   TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK. EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 9:09 am

I bought the R2 version some time ago (got tired of waiting for the States to get off their duffs and release it here). While I really loved McGann as the Doctor (and still love him in the BF audios), I hated the fact they made the Doctor half-human (heaven forbid that a pure alien be the main lead in an American show without a chance of connecting to the audience) and Eric Robert's over the top camp performance as the Master (Roger Delgado is still the man as the Master after all this time). The regeneration scene wasn't great either.
Back to top Go down
terrasolo
terrasolo

PostSubject: Re: TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK.   TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK. EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 9:23 am

I would love to know who's idea it was to make him Half Human, because people always bang on about how it was an American thing, but the script writer, Director and producer were all British.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK.   TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK. EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 6:56 am

ok, i'm going to add to the confusion here. i never had a problem with the half-human thing, however, i have way more pressing questions than that. was susan actually his granddaughter, or just someone he adopted? if she is his granddaughter, where's her mother/father? the only mention of his family that i know of(other than the doctor's daughter), was in the tomb of the cybermen when he says he can remember them when he wants to. since we've never heard anything about the rest of this family in the series(parents), how do we know there isn't a reason he always visits earth?(ala survival)
Back to top Go down
terrasolo
terrasolo

PostSubject: Re: TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK.   TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK. EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 11:31 am

That's a good thought, perhaps he father was exiled, or even left Gallifrey just as he did. Maybe the Doctor has been searching for them for his whole life, constantly checking earth.

However, I think the fact that He had Susan, which hint in the new series would say yes she is his real granddaughter, would suggest that her mother and father are dead. I mean why else would the Doctor have her and not them?
Back to top Go down
cinnur
cinnur

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2007-03-01

PostSubject: Re: TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK.   TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK. EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 8:27 pm

It would be nice if the re-release was region free!
Back to top Go down
Drathro

Number of posts : 463
Registration date : 2007-11-21

PostSubject: Re: TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK.   TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK. EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 12:29 pm

This set is The Movie (2 Discs), Talons (3 Discs) & Androzani (2 Discs)

I'd imagine they'll be released as seperate titles in America, except The Movie of course.

The Movie has a McCoy & McGann commentary.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freeconsolesandgames.co.uk
jfh1970
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1850
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK.   TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK. EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 2:53 pm

I always thought that the reason the Doctor comes off as human to the Master had to do with the TARDIS defenses. The TARDIS does seem to be en entity of some sort so perhaps "she" was protecting her secrets and the Doctor. By making the Master think that the only way to open the eye was to use a human gave the Doctor a chance to gain allies through the process and defeat the Master.
Back to top Go down
Doctor Detroit

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2010-05-18

PostSubject: Re: TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK.   TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK. EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 5:10 pm

cinnur wrote:
How about if all dvds were region free, 99.9 percent of the time R1 releases have extras that we in R2 land can only dream of.
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK.   TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK. EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 6:04 pm

Not being cheeky, but just get yourself a region free DVD player. Every one I've ever owned has been region-free, so I don't even pay attention what regions they are anymore. Just picked up a new one for the TV in the basement this morning, $30 at walmart.
Back to top Go down
cinnur
cinnur

PostSubject: Re: TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK.   TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK. EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 6:39 pm

Doctor Detroit wrote:
cinnur wrote:
How about if all dvds were region free, 99.9 percent of the time R1 releases have extras that we in R2 land can only dream of.

That has already crossed my mind, and I agree.
I would think it would be smarter and more profitable for studios that if all discs were region free people would buy more titles they wanted, even if they had to purchase them from other countries.
The other countries releases could even try to have different extras, just to sweeten the temptation.
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK.   TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK. EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 11:09 pm

Is there a region free Blu-Ray player? 'Cause I don't even have a DVD player anymore.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
cinnur
cinnur

PostSubject: Re: TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK.   TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK. EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 8:18 pm

Look around, you can find them. You also have to make sure that the player can output in the proper format for your screen.
Back to top Go down

TVM DVD gets a re-release... in the UK.
Page 1 of 1