Dr_WhoTMNTfan
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Dr_WhoTMNTfan
Dr_WhoTMNTfan

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2015-08-29

Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat quits after series 10 Empty
PostSubject: Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat quits after series 10   Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat quits after series 10 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2016 5:59 pm

Steven Moffat has decided that his “timey wimey” as showrunner of Doctor Who has come to an end and he will step down as the show’s lead writer and executive producer after six series at the helm, RadioTimes.com can reveal.

Moffatt will hand over the keys to the TARDIS at the end of the next series in 2017 to Broadchurch writer and Doctor Who fan Chris Chibnall.

BBC1 has decided to air Moffat’s final 12-part series - the 10th of the modern era - in spring 2017. Chibnall’s debut series as head writer and executive producer will launch in 2018.

A Christmas special WILL air this year overseen by Moffat, though it is unclear whether Peter Capaldi’s new companion will feature. The companion, who will replace Jenna Coleman's Clara Oswald, will definitely be in place for the spring 2017 series, say BBC sources.

Explaining the decision to hold Moffat’s last series until next year, BBC1 controller Charlotte Moore said: “I have decided to schedule Steven’s big finale series in Spring 2017 to bring the nation together for what will be a huge event on the channel. 2016 is spoilt with national moments including the Euros and Olympics and I want to hold something big back for 2017 - I promise it will be worth the wait!”

It is unclear if the plan is now to make Doctor Who a series which regularly begins its runs in the spring when Chibnall becomes showrunner. “That is all to be decided,” said a BBC source, who pointed out that it began airing in the spring when it was relaunched by Russell T Davies in 2005.

Moffat said of his decision to quit: “Feels odd to be talking about leaving when I’m just starting work on the scripts for season 10, but the fact is my timey-wimey is running out. While Chris is doing his last run of Broadchurch, I’ll be finishing up on the best job in the universe and keeping the TARDIS warm for him. It took a lot of gin and tonic to talk him into this, but I am beyond delighted that one of the true stars of British Television drama will be taking the Time Lord even further into the future. At the start of season 11, Chris Chibnall will become the new showrunner of Doctor Who. And I will be thrown in a skip.”

Moore, who next month takes over a super controller’s job at the BBC, paid tribute to Moffat and welcomed Chibnall into the Doctor Who fold.

“I want to thank Steven Moffat for everything he has given Doctor Who – I’ve loved working with him, he is an absolute genius and has brought fans all over the world such joy,” she added. “I will be very sad to see him leave the show but I can’t wait to see what he will deliver in his last ever series next year with a brand new companion.

“I would also like to take this opportunity to welcome Chris Chibnall, a wonderfully talented writer who I know will bring something very special to the hit series.”

Like Moffat, Chibnall is also a lifelong Doctor Who fan and a multi-award winning writer and executive producer. He has most recently achieved success with the triple BAFTA winning hit ITV series Broadchurch. His other credits include BAFTA nominated The Great Train Robbery, United, Law & Order: UK, Life on Mars and Torchwood.

He said: "Doctor Who is the ultimate BBC programme: bold, unique, vastly entertaining, and adored all around the world. So it's a privilege and a joy to be the next curator of this funny, scary and emotional family drama. I’ve loved Doctor Who since I was four years old, and I’m relishing the thought of working with the exceptional team at BBC Wales to create new characters, creatures and worlds for the Doctor to explore. Steven’s achieved the impossible by continually expanding Doctor Who's creative ambition, while growing its global popularity. He’s been a dazzling and daring showrunner, and hearing his plans and stories for 2017, it’s clear he’ll be going out with a bang. Just to make my life difficult."

Polly Hill, BBC controller of drama commissioning, added: “Like Charlotte I would like to thank Steven for his brilliance, which has made Doctor Who a global hit under his tenure. Chris Chibnall is the perfect successor to take over the reins of this incredible show, so I am delighted that his love for Doctor Who has made it impossible for him to resist ! Chris is an incredible writer and his vision and passion for Doctor Who gives it an exciting future and promises to be a real treat for Doctor Who fans across the world.”

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-01-22/doctor-who-showrunner-steven-moffat-quits-to-be-replaced-by-broadchurch-creator-chris-chibnall
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat quits after series 10   Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat quits after series 10 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2016 8:47 pm

Wow, not really excited about this choice. His episodes haven't wowed me. But, maybe he will be better as show runner. The no episodes until Christmas just really sucks. That is a bad choice.
Back to top Go down
Brain of Davros
Brain of Davros

Number of posts : 1279
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat quits after series 10   Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat quits after series 10 EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 2:51 am

The BBC can even muck up great news like this.

This was long over due imo.Moffat has run out of steam and it's time for new blood but waiting till 2018 is insane.

So what the heck are we supposed to do for 2016!?

Oh wait I know!Watch Legends of Tomorrow with the American Doctor Who Rip Hunter played by Arthur Darvil(Rory).

Should tide us over for a bit.

What episodes has this new guy written btw?
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat quits after series 10   Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat quits after series 10 EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 9:19 am

Chris' episodes:
- The Power of Three (2012)
- Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (2012)
- Cold Blood (2010)
- The Hungry Earth (2010)
- 42 (2007)
Torchwood:
- Exit Wounds (2008)
- Fragments (2008)
- Adrift (2008)
- Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang (2008)
- End of Days (2007)
- Countrycide (2006)
- Cyberwoman (2006)
- Day One (2006)

But, Broadchurch is AMAZING.....so, who knows what will happen. I suppose we will find out in two years....TWO YEARS!
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat quits after series 10   Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat quits after series 10 EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 11:51 am

We were chatting about this last night...

If I look at Nu Who, Torchwood and Broadchurch, I come away with:

When it comes to more serious and mature series, he's definitely got the chops. But those Nu Who episodes... ick. Looks like he writes to the tone of the particular series.

If the BBC want to keep the same kiddie tone for Nu Who, I doubt it will get any better.

Back to top Go down
Brain of Davros
Brain of Davros

Number of posts : 1279
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat quits after series 10   Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat quits after series 10 EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 1:34 pm

Thanks Ronpur those episodes weren't anything special imo

And CA I agree,just more campy nonsense.

Why no development of a Who movie yet?

The BBC are Cheap
Back to top Go down
Ted47
Ted47

Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2012-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat quits after series 10   Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat quits after series 10 EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 7:40 pm

I really liked 42 and Dinos.

But I did not like Broadchurch.
Back to top Go down
pixletwin
pixletwin

Number of posts : 2724
Registration date : 2008-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat quits after series 10   Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat quits after series 10 EmptySun Jan 24, 2016 2:04 am

i absolutely LOVED Broadchurch. I binge watched the whole thing over Christmas I found it very engaging and emotive. I hope his stint as showrunner for DocWho fares just as well.
Back to top Go down
Thun
Thun

Number of posts : 1301
Registration date : 2007-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat quits after series 10   Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat quits after series 10 EmptySun Jan 24, 2016 6:58 pm

MOFFAT IS LEAVING!!!!!! bounce

Time to break out the party hats and celebrate!  Cake and ice cream all around!!
Joy to the world!  Feels like THE BEST CHRISTMAS EVER!! cheers

I think I just peed a little. . .
Back to top Go down
Just Scott
Just Scott

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat quits after series 10   Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat quits after series 10 EmptySun Jan 24, 2016 8:02 pm

For those that know the scene from the film and what the character had to endure - I hope you get the metaphor?!

Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat quits after series 10 Tumblr_n2xbcoKEMD1s9816mo2_r1_500_zpsigpu7p8v
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2207
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat quits after series 10   Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat quits after series 10 EmptySun Jan 24, 2016 9:26 pm

“I have decided to schedule Steven’s big finale series in Spring 2017 to bring the nation together for what will be a huge event on the channel,” BBC One Controller said in a statement. “2016 is spoilt with national moments including the Euros and Olympics and I want to hold something big back for 2017 — I promise it will be worth the wait!”
Maybe we'll ge the Peter Jackson episode next year? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w6agKVUCTM
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/

Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat quits after series 10
Page 1 of 1