DoctorOlly
peng
10 posters
AuthorMessage
peng

Number of posts : 560
Registration date : 2007-02-06

Steven Moffat to be Lead Writer and Executive Producer Empty
PostSubject: Steven Moffat to be Lead Writer and Executive Producer   Steven Moffat to be Lead Writer and Executive Producer EmptyTue May 20, 2008 12:51 pm

Steven Moffat to be Doctor Who Lead Writer and Executive Producer

BBC Wales and BBC Drama has announced that BAFTA and Hugo Award-winning writer Steven Moffat will succeed Russell T Davies as Lead Writer and Executive Producer of the fifth series of Doctor Who, which will broadcast on BBC One in 2010.

Moffat has penned some of the series' most unforgettable and acclaimed episodes, including Blink, with its terrifying weeping angels, for which he was awarded the BAFTA Writer Award 2008 on Sunday 11 May.

His previous work on Doctor Who includes The Girl In The Fireplace for series two, which earned him his second Hugo Award.

His first was for the series one two-parter The Empty Child, which became famous for its terrifying refrain "Are you my mummy?"

For the current series, Moffat has written Silence In The Library, a two-parter starring Alex Kingston which transmits on 31 May and 7 June 2008 on BBC One.

Steven's career began with the landmark ITV children's drama Press Gang in 1989, for which he won his first Bafta.

Coupling, the hugely popular and award-winning sitcom he created and wrote for BBC Two, began in 2000 and ran for four seasons.

Jekyll, his six-part thriller starring James Nesbitt and Michelle Ryan, transmitted on BBC One last year.

Steven will continue as one of the directors on the board of Hartswood Films which produced Coupling and Jekyll, where he is also working on his new comedy Adam & Eve with wife Sue Vertue.

He has just delivered the screenplay for Tintin – the first instalment of the trilogy of films featuring the iconic Belgian comic-strip hero – to Steven Spielberg who will direct it for DreamWorks. Thomas Sangster and Andy Serkis will star.

Steven Moffat says: "My entire career has been a Secret Plan to get this job. I applied before but I got knocked back 'cos the BBC wanted someone else. Also I was seven.

"Anyway, I'm glad the BBC has finally seen the light, and it's a huge honour to be following Russell into the best - and the toughest - job in television. I say toughest 'cos Russell's at my window right now, pointing and laughing."

Lead Writer and Executive Producer Russell T Davies says: "It's been a delight and an honour working with Steven, and I can't wait to see where his extraordinary imagination takes the Doctor. Best of all, I get to be a viewer again, watching on a Saturday night!"

Jane Tranter, Controller, BBC Fiction, says: "Scripts and writers are at the heart of what BBC Drama is all about, and especially at the heart of Doctor Who. The past four series have been brilliantly helmed by the spectacularly talented Russell T Davies.

"As Lead Writer and Executive Producer, he has overseen the creative direction and detail of the 21st century relaunch of Doctor Who and we are delighted to have his continued presence on the specials over the next 18 months.

"But the challenge and excitement of the fifth series is now being handed to Steven Moffat. The Tardis couldn't be in safer hands. Steven's talents on both Doctor Who and beyond are well known. He is a writer of glittering brilliance, comedy and depth, with an extraordinary imagination and a unique voice.

"Steven has a wonderful mix of being a committed Doctor Who fan and a true artist, and his plans for the next series are totally thrilling."

The announcement follows the news that Piers Wenger will take over the role of Executive Producer from Julie Gardner on series five of Doctor Who.

Piers Wenger says: "The challenge of taking Doctor Who to a new future is a huge and thrilling one and BBC Wales is blessed to have someone with Steven's extraordinary talent in charge.

"His imagination and creativity have already given birth to some of the series' most unforgettable monsters though in this instance no-one need fear; time, space and the future of The Doctor are safe with him."

Wenger and Moffat are already working closely together on the planning of the series.

Menna Richards, Controller, BBC Wales, says: "BBC Wales is very proud of Doctor Who's phenomenal success. Steven Moffat is an extraordinary talent and we are very much looking forward to him joining the Doctor Who team."

Series four has achieved some of the show's highest audience figures to date and forthcoming episodes feature a stellar line-up of guests including Lesley Sharp, Lindsey Coulson, Alex Kingston, Colin Salmon and Michael Brandon.

Freema Agyeman and Billie Piper – The Doctor's two former companions – have also returned to assist The Doctor in series four.

Doctor Who will return in 2009 with four specials, and the full-length fifth series is currently scheduled to be broadcast on BBC One in Spring 2010.

SH
Back to top Go down
DoctorOlly
DoctorOlly

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2007-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Steven Moffat to be Lead Writer and Executive Producer   Steven Moffat to be Lead Writer and Executive Producer EmptyTue May 20, 2008 12:54 pm

Damn! I just found this and just came to post it and found that you'd posted it first! Oh well. It'll be great with Moffat, as long as he only does one or two frightening episodes each series, not too many!
Back to top Go down
peng

PostSubject: Re: Steven Moffat to be Lead Writer and Executive Producer   Steven Moffat to be Lead Writer and Executive Producer EmptyTue May 20, 2008 12:58 pm

He is a terrific choice for this position, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what his vision for the show will be.
Back to top Go down
DoctorOlly
DoctorOlly

PostSubject: Re: Steven Moffat to be Lead Writer and Executive Producer   Steven Moffat to be Lead Writer and Executive Producer EmptyTue May 20, 2008 1:02 pm

Yeah, I couldn't have thought for any one better for the postition! Don't get me wrong, I like the darker stories he writes but sometimes they're a bit too dark, 'specially for the kids!
Back to top Go down
Clavius
Clavius

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2007-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Steven Moffat to be Lead Writer and Executive Producer   Steven Moffat to be Lead Writer and Executive Producer EmptyTue May 20, 2008 2:18 pm

Excellent news!
Back to top Go down
CJSchmidt
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Steven Moffat to be Lead Writer and Executive Producer   Steven Moffat to be Lead Writer and Executive Producer EmptyTue May 20, 2008 3:57 pm

Fantastic news!

I hope they give him the freedom to make the show his own. I don't want things to change too much (obviously), but it would be a waste to force Steven into copy-catting RTD for the next X years. I'll predict at least 1 transition year of Tennant & Moffat before the next regeneration.

I'm excited. :-)
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2207
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Steven Moffat to be Lead Writer and Executive Producer   Steven Moffat to be Lead Writer and Executive Producer EmptyTue May 20, 2008 4:48 pm

HUZZAH!
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
doctorwhofan11
doctorwhofan11

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Steven Moffat to be Lead Writer and Executive Producer   Steven Moffat to be Lead Writer and Executive Producer EmptyTue May 20, 2008 7:03 pm

Dang it! I just found this out too and came to post it, but you beat me! lol Oh well...

I think he is an AMAZING choice for the job. I can't wait to see how the shows gonna be in season five!
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Steven Moffat to be Lead Writer and Executive Producer   Steven Moffat to be Lead Writer and Executive Producer EmptyTue May 20, 2008 10:34 pm

Moffat is the right and deserving choice to take over the mantle.
Always good to have someone with great passion for the show. Sad to see Davies leave but change is the core of the show. Really get a feeling we are going to have a Hincliffe like feel to series 5. Hope Tennant will stick around for a little bit after 2009- seems that all ties to the 2005 series are gone...Collinson, Gardner, now RTD...hats off to them. Job well done- hope that others can carry the flame as well as they did...and more who for 2010 and beyond.
Back to top Go down
DoctorOlly
DoctorOlly

PostSubject: Re: Steven Moffat to be Lead Writer and Executive Producer   Steven Moffat to be Lead Writer and Executive Producer EmptyWed May 21, 2008 2:44 am

Apparently in the Daily Mirror this morning, it said that DT will probably be leaving not long after RTD leaves, I think its just a rumour.
Back to top Go down
peng

PostSubject: Re: Steven Moffat to be Lead Writer and Executive Producer   Steven Moffat to be Lead Writer and Executive Producer EmptyWed May 21, 2008 8:36 am

Profile in The Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/may/20/bbc.television4?gusrc=rss&feed=media
Back to top Go down
cinnur
cinnur

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2007-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Steven Moffat to be Lead Writer and Executive Producer   Steven Moffat to be Lead Writer and Executive Producer EmptyThu May 22, 2008 10:01 am

Moffat taking over is great news.
I thought the show seemed in a bit of a rut.
He has arguably written some of the best stuff so he knows what makes the show work.

I think Tennant would be making a mistake not to do a season with Moffat.
It would also be interesting to see who Moffat would pick for the role when it comes due.
Back to top Go down
CrochetOwl

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Steven Moffat to be Lead Writer and Executive Producer   Steven Moffat to be Lead Writer and Executive Producer EmptyThu May 22, 2008 6:39 pm

Excellent news about Moffat and well deserved. Now just to have DT stay on for series 5 and it should be must-see tv (not only is he wonderful as the Doctor but there needs to be some stability at least in front of the camera since behind the scenes there are changes galour). Maybe we can actually have more stories away from Earth. I understand RTD wanted a humanistic viewpoint via the companion but it is time for a change as it has been done to death.
Back to top Go down
gregtdj
gregtdj

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Steven Moffat to be Lead Writer and Executive Producer   Steven Moffat to be Lead Writer and Executive Producer EmptyThu May 22, 2008 10:06 pm

YESS!! I've been stumping for Moffat ever since I heard RTD was leaving. Truly deserved...

DoctorOlly wrote:
as long as he only does one or two frightening episodes each series, not too many!

I don't think we have to many worries here, especially since Moffat is the writer who penned the red nose day Doctor Who special "Curse of Fatal Death", a few years before RTD brought Who back. I think he'll have some very good ideas. My only concerns from this joyous news are from the last parts of the article...

Quote :
Jane Tranter, Controller, BBC Fiction, says: "Scripts and writers are at the heart of what BBC Drama is all about, and especially at the heart of Doctor Who. The past four series have been brilliantly helmed by the spectacularly talented Russell T Davies.

"As Lead Writer and Executive Producer, he has overseen the creative direction and detail of the 21st century relaunch of Doctor Who and we are delighted to have his continued presence on the specials over the next 18 months.

Quote :
Doctor Who will return in 2009 with four specials, and the full-length fifth series is currently scheduled to be broadcast on BBC One in Spring 2010.

RTD is heading the specials which to this point know one knows what they are about, what direction the 10th doctor's storyline will take and what possible damage could come from this haphazard experiment of pulling the show when it's really come into it's own popularity wise. My only fear is that this formula for the next several years of Who's continuance is really RTD's formula of destroying what he no longer controls.

Final soapbox...18 MONTHS!?!? (@)#! Really? The BBC is seriously going to rely on four 90 minute or so specials spread out over that time to keep a show afloat that will be off the air for 18 MONTHS!? It may be different for Brits, but quick look around the room for hands of how many quality shows survived the recent writer's strike in America that kept new eps off the air. Wow, really that few? My only hope is that once these "specials" are in the possession of the BBC, they come to their senses and say, "Well thanks for the ride RTD, we'll drive from here."
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Steven Moffat to be Lead Writer and Executive Producer   Steven Moffat to be Lead Writer and Executive Producer EmptyFri May 23, 2008 1:40 pm

Oh you are so right standing on the soapbox about the next season. Hopefully sci fi will pick up series 4.5. The mini movies are going to be much better than centipede robot wars or evil rabid bunny in space sci fi original movies.

4 epsiodes a year worked for Poriot for some time but in todays day and age it is hard to keep people focused- the public may well forget if something else came along.... hmm mork and mindy...battlestar galactica comes to mind. I remember 89 too well and still feel the scars...fans must support the show...and it must be well advertised between the gaps.
Back to top Go down

Steven Moffat to be Lead Writer and Executive Producer
Page 1 of 1