Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

Babylon 5 Rebooted as Film Franchise? Empty
PostSubject: Babylon 5 Rebooted as Film Franchise?   Babylon 5 Rebooted as Film Franchise? EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 3:07 pm

http://io9.com/babylon-5-could-soon-be-rebooted-as-a-feature-film-1619026279?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_facebook&utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Quote :
According to Straczynski's SDCC announcement, the film would not be a continuation of the 1990s television series, but an outright reboot. That said, Straczynski has said he would like to use original cast members where he can. "I'd love to see Bruce as the President of the Earth Alliance", he said.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Babylon 5 Rebooted as Film Franchise?   Babylon 5 Rebooted as Film Franchise? EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 4:47 pm

jonwes wrote:
http://io9.com/babylon-5-could-soon-be-rebooted-as-a-feature-film-1619026279?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_facebook&utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Quote :
According to Straczynski's SDCC announcement, the film would not be a continuation of the 1990s television series, but an outright reboot. That said, Straczynski has said he would like to use original cast members where he can. "I'd love to see Bruce as the President of the Earth Alliance", he said.

Bruce won't be back for it, he's said so at conventions already.

Back to top Go down
Ben C.
Ben C.

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2014-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Babylon 5 Rebooted as Film Franchise?   Babylon 5 Rebooted as Film Franchise? EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 5:10 pm

Cruel Angel wrote:

Bruce won't be back for it, he's said so at conventions already.
Easy enough to replace. Queue any generic pretty actor who can perform with a stick up his butt while throwing in some Shatneresque facial expressions. Current suggestions would be Garret Hedland, Armie Hammer, Ryan Gosling, etc. I mean all that half-jokingly. tongue 

Would love to see a Bab5 reboot though, esp. on film. I feel it would need to pace like the LotR films because there is so much backstory / politics / character development that needs to take place in order for them to 'feel' right.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Babylon 5 Rebooted as Film Franchise?   Babylon 5 Rebooted as Film Franchise? EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 5:52 pm

The only problem with making the scope work is multiple films, meaning a ton of pressure on the first one to be successful enough to get the sequels green lit.

The first thing that came to mind as I typed that was Serenity. The film was released only 3 years removed from the series, and wasn't successful enough for a sequel. B5 is now 16 years in the past, and outside of one initial run on TNT and then on Sci Fi, the series vanished from syndication.

The key is probably going to come down to marketing. If it's going to have B5 in the title, I wouldn't mention any connection to a tv series... let the movie sell itself. Show it's got some plot and characterization depth, and that it's not going to be a typical action/ FX space film.

Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Babylon 5 Rebooted as Film Franchise?   Babylon 5 Rebooted as Film Franchise? EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 9:24 pm

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy B5... even some of the extremely derivative aspects of the show (a hero falls into darkness, dies, comes back better than ever a while later... can you say Khazad-dûm? Or was that Z'ha'dum?)

However, after a personal encounter with JMS back in the 90s, I'd be unlikely to put any money in his pocket... arrogant, condescending, ignoramus that he is.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com

Babylon 5 Rebooted as Film Franchise?
Page 1 of 1