5% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 19

AuthorMessage
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2485
Registration date : 2008-07-16

What is John Hurt's name? Empty
PostSubject: What is John Hurt's name?   What is John Hurt's name? EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 12:45 pm

Let's debate this here in the Discussion Forum.

Character Options was told to use the name Other Doctor.

Night of the Doctor credits him as the War Doctor.

There is some question if the on screen regenerations even count.

What are you going to call him?
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

PostSubject: Re: What is John Hurt's name?   What is John Hurt's name? EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 12:51 pm

It seems clear to me that we're going to have to renumber everything from 2005 onwards. Way to go, RTD.Mad 

Yes, I'm really thinking now that Matt Smith is the 12th Doctor. Oww, that hurts my head.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: What is John Hurt's name?   What is John Hurt's name? EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 12:53 pm

What is John Hurt's name? Imanewgephp_zps2865419c

Looks like he is the 9th Doctor now.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: What is John Hurt's name?   What is John Hurt's name? EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 1:17 pm

Ronpur wrote:
What is John Hurt's name? Imanewgephp_zps2865419c

Looks like he is the 9th Doctor now.
He's definitely 9th in order, but the Moff says there will be no official renumbering.

Personally, I kinda like "The War Doctor".
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: What is John Hurt's name?   What is John Hurt's name? EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 1:19 pm

squishy wrote:
It seems clear to me that we're going to have to renumber everything from 2005 onwards.  Way to go, RTD.Mad 

Yes, I'm really thinking now that Matt Smith is the 12th Doctor.  Oww, that hurts my head.
LOL...how is this RTD's fault, Squishy? Moffat created the War Doctor Smile
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: What is John Hurt's name?   What is John Hurt's name? EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 1:19 pm

The Elephant Man! elephant
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: What is John Hurt's name?   What is John Hurt's name? EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 1:20 pm

WW wrote:
The Elephant Man! elephant
Kane Smile
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: What is John Hurt's name?   What is John Hurt's name? EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 1:24 pm

Caligula farao
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

PostSubject: Re: What is John Hurt's name?   What is John Hurt's name? EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 1:27 pm

The Gene Lantern wrote:
squishy wrote:
It seems clear to me that we're going to have to renumber everything from 2005 onwards.  Way to go, RTD.Mad 

Yes, I'm really thinking now that Matt Smith is the 12th Doctor.  Oww, that hurts my head.
LOL...how is this RTD's fault, Squishy?   Moffat created the War Doctor Smile
The Producers are supposed to know these things!Razz 

You want to go after Moffat instead?Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
The 2nd Doctor Roberts
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: What is John Hurt's name?   What is John Hurt's name? EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 2:04 pm

I like the "War Doctor"...or how about "Doctor No More"?

The Moff left enough leeway for a future production team to retcon the "regeneration" of McGann into Hurt as a "transformation" of the Eighth. We never see the process through to completion...and I still smell a Sisterhood plot. If the Moff isn't planning something more for the Sisterhood himself, there's a story there for future producers.

At any rate, the BBC and the companies that license use of "Doctor Who" have too much money wrapped up in the "official" numbering to change it up now. I don't see fandom as a whole changing the numbering either. It could cause too much communication confusion. When talking about Ninth and up, fans would have to clarify which one they mean. Also, I have never heard anyone refer to the Valeyard as the Thirteenth Doctor, so there's a precedent for calling a Doctor something that doesn't include a number.

And Hurt never fronted the show. He's not had a story where he was "The" Doctor. Even McGann had the one shot that earned him a spot in the official numbering...despite that "half-human" jazz he was spouting to impress the ladies.Razz
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: What is John Hurt's name?   What is John Hurt's name? EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 2:04 pm

I like the War Doctor.

So, it's 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,War,9,10,10.5 and 11. And, of course, 11 is the 13th! It's all gotten very confused! LOL.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: What is John Hurt's name?   What is John Hurt's name? EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 5:52 pm

How ironic that this was just posted:

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/11/moffat-on-doctor-numbering.html
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

PostSubject: Re: What is John Hurt's name?   What is John Hurt's name? EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 6:43 pm

Ronpur wrote:

10.5 does count. That'll teach RTD to waste a regeneration just for a cliffhanger. I guess this is one way to make the Anniversary special. Robert Holmes made a remark to explain away the Master for Deadly Assassin and you just can't get around it. The 50th Anniversary will be the time to figure out how to keep the series going for the next 50 years.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: What is John Hurt's name?   What is John Hurt's name? EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 7:06 pm

Personally speaking, I prefer to call Hurt's character "The Warrior".

Or perhaps simply "The Oncoming Storm".
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: What is John Hurt's name?   What is John Hurt's name? EmptyTue Nov 26, 2013 3:31 pm

Ronpur wrote:

Ah, that's a relief! I was hoping it would be 'The War Doctor' so to not mess up the numbering.

I took the liberty of putting together a pic of all the regenerations:

What is John Hurt's name? Every_10

It's annoying that RTD wasted a 'life' but I'm sure it makes no difference really. Clearly since the Doctor makes it past his 13 life span into Capaldi, the show will continue. Which is no surprise; they wouldn't have just said, "Well, 13 lives are up! Time to end the show! Bye guys!" It's far too popular and it's bringing in far too much revenue for the BBC for them to just end it. bounce
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
The 2nd Doctor Roberts
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: What is John Hurt's name?   What is John Hurt's name? EmptyTue Nov 26, 2013 4:30 pm

Before everyone dogpiles on RTD for "wasting" a regeneration, it's important to note that it's the Moff who has deemed it to be an "official" one. RTD likely didn't see it that way. Also, he probably didn't consider the Time War to have been fought by an "unknown" Doctor between 8 and 9. One could as easily accuse the Moff of "cooking the books" to get to 13 Doctors so he could redefine the Time Lord regenerative cycle.

Good work with the regeneration chart, Scary. But remember "6th to 7th" is actually "7th to 7th"...Wink
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: What is John Hurt's name?   What is John Hurt's name? EmptyTue Nov 26, 2013 6:41 pm

The 2nd Doctor Roberts wrote:
Good work with the regeneration chart, Scary. But remember "6th to 7th" is actually "7th to 7th"...Wink
Ah yes, it's McCoy in the wig! Razz
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

PostSubject: Re: What is John Hurt's name?   What is John Hurt's name? EmptyTue Nov 26, 2013 6:59 pm

The 2nd Doctor Roberts wrote:
Before everyone dogpiles on RTD for "wasting" a regeneration, it's important to note that it's the Moff who has deemed it to be an "official" one. RTD likely didn't see it that way. Also, he probably didn't consider the Time War to have been fought by an "unknown" Doctor between 8 and 9. One could as easily accuse the Moff of "cooking the books" to get to 13 Doctors so he could redefine the Time Lord regenerative cycle.
You cannot be too hard on RTD. At the time I felt it was a "waste" of a regerenation. But I always wondered if they'd burn through enough actors to make the 50th Anniversary the end of the regenration cycle. And then something really Big to justify another regeneration. Adding the War Doctor is much preferred to a "Curse of Fatal Death" style destruction of a regeneration so that the Big Event can be this Christmas during the Anniversary season.

You can also accuse The Moff of wasting a regeneration in "Angles in Manhatten". Matt Smith is out of regenerations yet somehow uses regeneration energy to heal River Song's broken wrist. The 13th (11th) Doctor got scolded for that one so River must have known it was "wasting a regeneration". I was annoyed at the casual use of regeneration again, but now there is a bigger question of how that was even possible.
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: What is John Hurt's name?   What is John Hurt's name? EmptyTue Nov 26, 2013 7:17 pm

Let's not forget that in 'Let's Kill Hitler', River gave the Doctor some regeneration energy. Presumably that used up the rest of her regeneration cycle, which is why she died in the library, so that could mean that the Doctor has extra regenerations already - he doesn't need a new cycle yet - which would explain how he used regeneration energy to fix River's hand and also how he regenerates into Capaldi.

Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: What is John Hurt's name?   What is John Hurt's name? EmptyTue Nov 26, 2013 7:59 pm

Scary wrote:
Let's not forget that in 'Let's Kill Hitler', River gave the Doctor some regeneration energy. Presumably that used up the rest of her regeneration cycle, which is why she died in the library,
Actually no, that's explained by River stating that the energy bleed would kill the Doctor - that it was too much and would bypass regeneration completely.
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: What is John Hurt's name?   What is John Hurt's name? EmptyTue Nov 26, 2013 10:26 pm

Rust wrote:
Scary wrote:
Let's not forget that in 'Let's Kill Hitler', River gave the Doctor some regeneration energy. Presumably that used up the rest of her regeneration cycle, which is why she died in the library,
Actually no, that's explained by River stating that the energy bleed would kill the Doctor - that it was too much and would bypass regeneration completely.
Ahh, that makes more sense, I guess. I guess she just used up one regeneration to save the Doctor in 'Let's Kill Hitler' then.

It's a shame they killed River off almost literally immediately; it'd be cool to see other incarnations of her.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: What is John Hurt's name?   What is John Hurt's name? EmptyTue Nov 26, 2013 10:29 pm

Eh, as a absolute fan of the character, she did overstay her welcome a bit (Much like her parents *rimshot*). I will say the whole arc was worth it for the swan song in Name of the Doctor.

I am sad she never got full companion status though.
Back to top Go down

What is John Hurt's name?
Page 1 of 1