28% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

AuthorMessage
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792
Registration date : 2007-02-01

069 - The Green Death Empty
PostSubject: 069 - The Green Death   069 - The Green Death EmptyWed May 01, 2013 10:35 am

Post reviews, observations, factoids, etc, regarding this story in this topic. Do not post replies to other people's postings here. This information is being compiled for future publication. Please post your name or a suitable alias (initials, for example) for publication purposes.
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: 069 - The Green Death   069 - The Green Death EmptyThu May 02, 2013 1:55 pm

Ahhh yes....everyone who's seen it remembers it as "the one with the giant maggots." They are the undisputed stars of the show, but I want to make a few other observations on this one.

It is perhaps the most overt of the "message" stories produced during this era, rather than couch current affairs in the guise of science fiction.

This is the last appearance of Katy Manning as Jo Grant on Doctor Who. Her character's departure was well thought out and written, unlike most companions' exits by comparison. You could see Jo fall in love with Clifford Jones throughout the story, so her engagement at the end wasn't right out of left field. It helped make it more believable, perhaps, because at the time Katy and actor Stewart Bevan were falling in love as well.

The scene where she announces her engagement is particularly emotionally powerful. The Doctor gives her his congratulations and quietly slips out of the party...alone...and drives off in Bessie, his two hearts obviously broken, while Jo looks over her shoulder realizing he's gone. It's truly heartbreaking and one of the most tender moments in all of Doctor Who's 50 years. I'm welling up just typing this...

SeaDevil
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: 069 - The Green Death   069 - The Green Death EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 6:37 pm

Jo's send off really was a good one. I haven't been this sad about losing a companion during this marathon since Ian and Barbara. I was never too sure about Jo before (I hadn't seen enough of her at all) but I've really come to love Jo, hers and the Doctor's relationship is a delight to watch on screen. The Doctor clearly was truly sad to see her go. Once again, the Doctor loses a good friend.

As for the story itself though, I'm not too fond. I do like the message and moral of the story, and there are some rather funny scenes - such as the Doctor in disguise as both a milkman and then a cleaning lady - but the actual story itself is kinda weak and I felt my attention drifting throughout most of it. It's not awful though. It's just kinda 'okay'.

All in all, it has some great scenes but the story could be better. Sad to see Jo go! Sad

3/5.
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com

069 - The Green Death
Page 1 of 1