8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
tjg
tjg

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-01-15

Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who Empty
PostSubject: Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who   Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who EmptyTue Jan 15, 2008 9:51 pm

Hello everyone.

My brother and I are big fans of both classic and new Who. My sister-in-law loves the new series, but has never seen any of the classic episodes. We've finally convinced her to watch a Tom Baker episode, but we're not sure which one. I'm sure we'll only get one shot at impressing her.

So I want to know which of the Tom Baker episodes currently available on DVD would you guys recommend?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who   Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who EmptyTue Jan 15, 2008 10:21 pm

Pyramids of Mars is pretty spooky. And it is only four episodes long.

If Terror of the Zygons was out I would recommend that one.
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2207
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who   Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who EmptyWed Jan 16, 2008 1:10 am

City of Death
The Talons of Weng-Chiang
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who   Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who EmptyWed Jan 16, 2008 1:50 am

Those are good to, of course with Pyramids we do get to see the inside of the TARDIS.

I forgot Robots of Death. That one had a nice creep factor and the old console room. I would also add Stones of Blood. For years I was a big fan of Pirate Planet, sci fi factor, but the scene of the campers getting drained by the ogri and the local flavor bumped it back onto the top of the key to time list.

I always enjoyed Leisure Hive.

I guess I am thinking of scaring the pants off of your friend with my choices, but I like a good fright with Doctor Who, because he will make everything right in the end!
Back to top Go down
scoodee
scoodee

Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who   Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who EmptyWed Jan 16, 2008 9:49 am

Genesis of the Daleks is a good one to start with too.
Back to top Go down
CrochetOwl

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who   Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who EmptyWed Jan 16, 2008 9:48 pm

There are a lot of good ones (in no particular order):

Robots of Death (first episode I ever saw)*
Pyramids of Mars*
Hand of Fear (Sarah Jane's departure)*
Genesis of the Daleks*
City of Death*
Invisible Enemy

*Currently on DVD
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who   Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who EmptyFri Jan 18, 2008 12:40 am

Do not show Horns of Nimon for the love of all that is good.

The five Doctors is a good one (DVD)
Ark in Space (DVD?)
City of Death (DVD)
Masque of Mandragara (VHS)
The Key to Time (DVD)
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who   Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who EmptyFri Jan 18, 2008 12:41 am

Horns of Nimon but only if you have a fever hahaha I did like as a good saturday morning show
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

PostSubject: Re: Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who   Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who EmptyFri Jan 18, 2008 8:51 pm

I love Horns of Nimon! I hope Co makes a bunch of figures from that episode! I'm dead serious!
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

PostSubject: Re: Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who   Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who EmptySat Jan 19, 2008 12:58 am

If they made the Horns of Nimon figures then they should make it with the bad shiny plastic... or better yet go green and make the Nimons out of paper mache so they are bio-degradeable.
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

PostSubject: Re: Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who   Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who EmptySat Jan 19, 2008 1:19 am

But the great journey of the Nimon empire must continue!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who   Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who EmptySat Jan 19, 2008 1:20 am

Actually the Nimons werent so bad looking. Of course the original intention was that they were supposed to be masks that hid something even more hideous underneath, but of course the budget, or lack thereof, scarpered that one.

As long as the horns light up. I bet they do a voice changer helmet of it too!

Not to mention Romana 2 had her sonic screwdriver and that REALLY cool outfit!!! alien
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who   Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who EmptySat Jan 19, 2008 1:21 am

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
But the great journey of the Nimon empire must continue!

"The great journey of Life"

Aw crap, now I HAVE to watch it again!! geek
Back to top Go down
gregtdj
gregtdj

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who   Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who EmptySat Jan 19, 2008 8:59 pm

City of Death was always a good one. Something about Paris in the spring or maybe it was just seeing the Detective being totally overmatched by wit. Surprised to eventually learn it came from Hitchiker's Guide writer. Also would throw out Baker's last two, Keeper of Trakken and Logopolis.
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

PostSubject: Re: Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who   Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who EmptySun Jan 20, 2008 5:37 am

Douglas Adams recycled the plots for City of Death and Shada for Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.
Back to top Go down
CrochetOwl

PostSubject: Re: Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who   Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who EmptySun Jan 20, 2008 3:10 pm

If you interested in Shada, I would actually recommended Big Finish's audio of it with Dr #8 (Paul McGann). It's really good and better than the job that the BBC has done in trying to put together the pieces of what was filmed with narration where it wasn't.
Back to top Go down
Dalek Sec
Dalek Sec

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2007-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who   Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who EmptySun Jan 20, 2008 6:38 pm

"Genesis of the Daleks" that was my first classic episode!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/dalek_sec
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

PostSubject: Re: Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who   Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who EmptySun Jan 20, 2008 10:50 pm

Why didn't the BBC just filming Shada after their strike ended?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who   Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who EmptySun Jan 20, 2008 11:20 pm

JNT tried to get it done, and it just didnt work out. that is the simple explanation.
Back to top Go down
CJSchmidt
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who   Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who EmptyMon Jan 21, 2008 11:16 am

Everyone loves baker, but don't be too quick to rule out Davisson. He wasn't the mpst popular doctor, but he had a lot in common with the current incarnation. You could use time crash as a jumping off point to get her into classic who stories.
Back to top Go down
CrochetOwl

PostSubject: Re: Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who   Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who EmptyMon Jan 21, 2008 6:43 pm

Peter Davison is actually my favorite Doctor (even thou Tom Baker was the first time I watched). Black Orchid and the Caves of Androzan are excellent.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who   Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who EmptyMon Jan 21, 2008 6:51 pm

I have always liked Black Orchid, many people have mouthed it, but I felt it brought out his Doctors character out in a way that I feel helped the viewers warm up to him.

I look forward to its DVD release. It would have been nice to have had it and Earthshock released together.
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

PostSubject: Re: Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who   Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who EmptyTue Jan 22, 2008 11:56 pm

Yeah I'll chime in and say that Peter D's Earthshock is one of my faves. I love the happy ending for all the wrong reasons....Adric!!! I was always a fan of the five doctors- which is to me a great intro to most of the classic docs. I remember the first time it aired on WTTW in Chicago...I was oh 7 or 8. wow!!!!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who   Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who EmptyWed Jan 23, 2008 12:07 am

I loved that one scene in Leisure Hive where the metal mutt got blowed up in the English Channel. Twisted Evil

Then there was that scene Full Circle where he got Decapitated,

and then in Creature from the Pit, all covered up by wolf weeds,

and Stones of Blood where he got his tin hiney beat by the Ogri.

Good Times indeed. sunny
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

PostSubject: Re: Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who   Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who EmptyWed Jan 23, 2008 1:00 am

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... k-9 point shooty lazer thing at mr.hoosier and adric.
Back to top Go down

Advice and opinions needed concering classic Who
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next