12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Gallifreys Loss
Gallifreys Loss

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2012-07-23

The Classics?!? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Classics?!?   The Classics?!? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 3:28 am

I think my frustrations are the result of what a lot of you touched on about there being little to no recognition of the series' long and rich history. Browsing through Tumblr and other social networks, I sometimes get the feeling a lot of these New Whovians are more a fan of being a part of the fandom than fans of the actual series.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: The Classics?!?   The Classics?!? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 5:17 am

Gallifreys Loss wrote:
I sometimes get the feeling a lot of these New Whovians are more a fan of being a part of the fandom than fans of the actual series.

Every fandom has them, once their franchise gets some mainstream attention. They'll move on soon enough, as soon as something else grabs their attention.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Classics?!?   The Classics?!? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 7:56 am

Ronpur wrote:
Yep, I was New to Who in Nineteen Eighty-two!!

I was into New to Who in 1986 My dad was New to Who in 1963
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: The Classics?!?   The Classics?!? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 8:10 am

davro wrote:
Ronpur wrote:
Yep, I was New to Who in Nineteen Eighty-two!!

I was into New to Who in 1986 My dad was New to Who in 1963

Great Dad, from the beginning!
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: The Classics?!?   The Classics?!? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 8:22 am

Gallifreys Loss wrote:
I think my frustrations are the result of what a lot of you touched on about there being little to no recognition of the series' long and rich history. Browsing through Tumblr and other social networks, I sometimes get the feeling a lot of these New Whovians are more a fan of being a part of the fandom than fans of the actual series.

Pretty much.

Sorta akin to the Final Fantasy 7 fandom a decade ago.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: The Classics?!?   The Classics?!? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 3:03 pm

I'm sorry, and I may come off sounding like a Jerk here, but are we honestly battling about "real fans" or "fans of fandom"? What's the qualification for being a 'Real' Doctor Who fan? If you are not Male, 500 pounds, or living in your parents basement, you are not a real fan? Yes, that was mean, but that was the point. That's what people used to think of 'Real' Doctor Who fans. The fact that we can have women, the LGBT community, and even celebrities spread the word of the show, should make fans happy, not to be still stuck to a stereotype that people thought all of us looked like the Comic Book guy from the Simpsons during the 70's/80's.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: The Classics?!?   The Classics?!? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 4:44 pm

It's the Hipster effect. Any low key fandom will inevitably react negatively to new influx of "casual" fans once the franchise of their fandom garners mainstream attention.
Back to top Go down

The Classics?!?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2