Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeSearchRegisterLog inThe Who North America Online StoreLatest images

What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing?

Go down 
+7
jaredofmo
Who North America
The Castellan
SeaDevil
bret_owen99
Ronpur
CGren123
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing? Empty
PostSubject: What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing?   What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing? EmptyThu May 31, 2012 8:53 am

Does it work only with all things electronical and also can it affect anything electronic like nano-technology that has been put into someone?
~
Back to top Go down
CGren123
CGren123

Number of posts : 2368
Registration date : 2009-12-23

PostSubject: Re: What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing?   What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing? EmptyThu May 31, 2012 9:08 am

Sarah Jane's Sonic lipstick can affect nano-technology so I'm guessing the Doctor's can as well.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing?   What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing? EmptyThu May 31, 2012 10:12 am

Basically, anything the writers want.......except wood.
Back to top Go down
CGren123
CGren123

PostSubject: Re: What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing?   What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing? EmptyThu May 31, 2012 12:08 pm

Ronpur wrote:
Basically, anything the writers want.......except wood.

and hair dryers.

Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing?   What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing? EmptyThu May 31, 2012 12:33 pm

and finding stolen babies....
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing?   What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing? EmptyThu May 31, 2012 2:59 pm

So if the writer wanted to, hypothetically speaking, the Doctor could use his sonic screwdriver to disable a tracking tag that has been injected into a person that basically is keeping him in England and ruining his entire life? So, if the Doctor wanted to, hypothetically speaking, he could set this person free, right?
~
Back to top Go down
CGren123
CGren123

PostSubject: Re: What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing?   What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing? EmptyThu May 31, 2012 3:02 pm

AppleJack25 wrote:
So if the writer wanted to, hypothetically speaking, the Doctor could use his sonic screwdriver to disable a tracking tag that has been injected into a person that basically is keeping him in England and ruining his entire life? So, if the Doctor wanted to, hypothetically speaking, he could set this person free, right?
~

Yep
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing?   What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing? EmptyThu May 31, 2012 3:04 pm

And that wouldn't be seen as far-fetched, would it?

~
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing?   What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing? EmptyThu May 31, 2012 3:56 pm

Not anymore...

It's ridiculous what all it has done since 2005. It needs to go away. Might as well call it a sonic "crutch."

Still, it has always worked well as a tool for manipulating electronics, so yeah - it would actually be plausable.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing?   What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing? EmptyThu May 31, 2012 4:28 pm

Ah, well then. That makes me happy.

Now I know the direction I need to go in and ah, it's brilliant.

Thanks everyone.
What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing? Tumblr_m4v8yeT5Zl1qcwhkeo1_400
~
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing?   What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing? EmptyThu May 31, 2012 5:12 pm

It's become a Swiss army knife and a tricorder it seems.

If I was one of the writers, I'd only have it used as it was in the classic days, of the 3rd and 4th Doctor times, where it was used for undoing screws and bolts, shorting out small, electronic devices; and undoing locks.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing?   What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing? EmptyThu May 31, 2012 5:42 pm

I think it should be known that I no longer detest Matt Smith or his version of the Doctor and I retract my comments from months ago where I said that Benedict Cumberbatch deserves to be the Master to a better Doctor than Matt Smith's. I take it back. I take the whole bloody thing back.
~
Back to top Go down
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing?   What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing? EmptyThu May 31, 2012 5:55 pm

From what I can see, Matt is an excellent actor - his character as the Doctor is only as good as the writers that make it Very Happy

Jany
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing?   What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing? EmptyThu May 31, 2012 7:31 pm

Jany, I couldn't have said it better myself.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing?   What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing? EmptyThu May 31, 2012 11:04 pm

Who North America wrote:
From what I can see, Matt is an excellent actor - his character as the Doctor is only as good as the writers that make it Very Happy

Jany

That the same for people like Colin baker and good old Sylvester McCoy... Great Doctors just poor scrips and low budgets... They are totally awesome on Big Finish.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing?   What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing? EmptyThu May 31, 2012 11:08 pm

Huh. I wonder if Tennant or Smith will ever do a Big Finish story?
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing?   What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing? EmptyThu May 31, 2012 11:36 pm

jaredofmo wrote:
Tennant already has.

He played Colonel Brimmicombe-Wood in The Wasting and Sympathy For The Devil, Daft Jamie in Medicinal Purposes, German Officer Feldwebel Kurtz in Colditz, and Time Lord #2 in Exile.

He also played the lead character Galanar in all six of the Dalek Empire III series.

And a very minor role in Scream of the Shalka.

So when Big Finish gets permission to do Tenth Doctor stories, I've no doubt Tennant would sign up right away.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing?   What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing? EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 12:27 am

jaredofmo wrote:

Big finish only have the rights to Classic who, nothing to do with New Who.... including the time war.... Hearing the 8th Dr. on Audio just makes me feel sad that he never was on our TV screens for his own series....
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing?   What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing? EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 6:15 pm

I don't know. They could license the New Series if they wanted to and the BBC was willing.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing?   What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing? EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 6:32 pm

IF BF is still around after Nu Who goes off the air, Im sure they will try to get a license for it... assuming they have enough interest from the Nu Who docs. I doubt Tennant or Smith would have any reluctance to resume their roles.

Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2207
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing?   What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing? EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 8:18 pm

If the sonic screw driver manipulates thing using sonic vibrations, I don't understand why it wouldn't have frequencies for wood & deadbolts.
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing?   What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing? EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 8:27 pm

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
If the sonic screw driver manipulates thing using sonic vibrations, I don't understand why it wouldn't have frequencies for wood & deadbolts.
Because, you know, it needs some limits... *sigh*
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing?   What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing? EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 10:25 am

jaredofmo wrote:
Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
Because, you know, it needs some limits... *sigh*

Exactly. Since it can start and stop a car from 20 paces, we have to have not be able to open a wooden door with a small metal bar holding it shut.

'cause that'd be silly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing?   What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing? EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 3:06 am

Well I'm only going to be having the Doctor use his sonic to free a certain character from a certain mini-series from the nano tag in him and I'll do it really non-chalantly to kind of mock the severity of the situation poor Stephen has found himself in. However, when it comes to stopping a person from killing Stephen, I shall have the Doctor use his wit, because that's more clever and more fun, for me, than using the sonic.
~
Back to top Go down

What exactly is the sonic screwdriver capable of doing?
Page 1 of 1