Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeSearchRegisterLog inThe Who North America Online StoreLatest images

Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion.

Go down 
+7
Captain Ironmac
Scary
jaredofmo
hitman hart
Bob1963
jonwes
bret_owen99
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion. Empty
PostSubject: Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion.   Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion. EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 12:07 am

So I saw an interview where Sophie Aldred and Sylvester McCoy said they would love to do the Anniversary. McCoy said something along the lines of having all the living past Doctors be in the show, but not be the Doctor. That part got me thinking. So, here's my thoughts, and please, feel free to add to, or disagree.

After failing to rescue Amy and Rory Pond's child, and watching Craig Owen die a painfull death (just my hoping here), the Doctor is questioning himself more than ever. What good is a time traveller if he can't save the ones he loves?

The Doctor accidentally takes a nap on an alien world, and falls victim to one of it's flowers hallucinating effects. The Doctor ends up in a storyline inhabited by his past selves, and companions, all playing new characters.

This would bring back actors and actresses, and could explain the difference's in their looks today. Weaving storytelling and acting into a story of how the Doctor regains confidence in himself, and remembers everything his past selves have done (interwoven with flashbacks).

Yes, I know this is a ripoff of SPOILER, the last episode of Quantum Leap, but it was good, so I figured why not? It would fit well in the Doctor Who Universe (the Dream Lord and Valeyard allready established Dream like characters). This could open up all new possibilities. Tom Baker could be the big bad of the story. Old companions could work against the Doctor, or could be playing Time Lords themselves. Anything could be possible.

My point of this story would be self therapy, that he would realize after interacting with all his past selves and companions (even though they aren't who they appear to be). When he wakes up at the end of the episode, he would feel reinvigorated and ready to fight the Universe again.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion.   Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion. EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 12:22 am

bret_owen99 wrote:

and watching Craig Owen die a painfull death
That's good enough for me....I'm in lol!
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion.   Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion. EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 2:48 am

I can see something like that working, though I'm not sure he needs to be going through therapy. I think the Dream Lord would work very well as a device to get the Doctor's together. I like the idea of them playing different parts.... at first. But then they could come to the realization they are all aspects of the Doctor or something. If they all existed still in his mind (aging as time passes) then it could be cool. Then all the Doctor's could come together to defeat the Dream Lord (or perhaps a third party who somehow manipulated the Dream Lord into reappearing) and the Doctor would be "whole" again. It'd also be easy to work in other companions and old monsters as shadows in his mind.

I have to admit, I really want a good old romp with all the Doctors for the 50th.
Back to top Go down
Bob1963
Bob1963

Number of posts : 1276
Registration date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion.   Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion. EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 3:48 am

Craig's extermination would be a wonderful thing. I would love to see as many Doctors for the 50th as possible provided they could be written in realistically.

I can see them playing the future versions of themselves had they not regenerated in a dream type sequence provided it was written properly.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion.   Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion. EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 12:07 pm

I like your ideas Jonwes. Wouldn't be bad if over time they all started to realize who they are (even if 11 knew the whole time). As far as the Doctor needing therapy, I think that's a must. I mean, we saw the Valeyard, Evil 10, and even the Dreamlord manifest. If anyone needs help sorting things out once in awhile, it's the Doctor.

I would love the Dream Lord to be an even bigger bad (Toby Jones did such a great job). He would be the Lord Borusa of this story.
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion.   Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion. EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 6:50 pm

well, it takes all kinds. i love craig and would have liked to see him as a companion so i can't get down with the craig killing. but the other part of the idea is neat.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion.   Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion. EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 6:59 pm

Instead of bringing back Craig so they can kill him off, I'd prefer to NEVER SEE HIM AGAIN.
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion.   Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion. EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 8:31 pm

Why the hate for Craig? James Corden is amazing. No
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
Captain Ironmac
Captain Ironmac

Number of posts : 572
Registration date : 2009-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion.   Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion. EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 8:50 pm

I agree with you scary, James Corden is brilliant.

I think the idea of the Dreamlord would be a good storyline.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion.   Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion. EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 8:55 pm

Scary wrote:
Oddly, I'm not a fan of Corden, but I do like Craig, but I think bringing him back wouldn't be a good idea. I think his character's developed enough through his two appearances.

As for making him a companion: he's a dad now. Having him on the TARDIS would mean Alfie and Sophie should come, too.
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion.   Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion. EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 10:25 pm

jaredofmo wrote:
Scary wrote:
Oddly, I'm not a fan of Corden, but I do like Craig, but I think bringing him back wouldn't be a good idea. I think his character's developed enough through his two appearances.

As for making him a companion: he's a dad now. Having him on the TARDIS would mean Alfie and Sophie should come, too.

i agree, he can't do it now that hes a dad, i was thinking that more after the first episode he appeared in. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion.   Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion. EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 6:59 pm

Don't get me wrong people. I like James Corden, I just think Craig has been overdone. Beating the Cybermen because he heard his baby crying was a 'jumping the shark'/'nuking the fridge' moment for me.
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion.   Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion. EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 7:09 pm

Yeah, he probably has had his run in the show now but I still think he was great. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion.   Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion. EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 9:39 pm

hitman hart wrote:
jaredofmo wrote:
Scary wrote:

i agree, he can't do it now that hes a dad, i was thinking that more after the first episode he appeared in. Very Happy

The Master was dead, and he managed to come back a few times.

Anyhow, for myself, maybe I'll do a figure comic, using the original planned story for "The 5 Doctors". king
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion.   Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion. EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 9:52 pm

bret_owen99 wrote:
Don't get me wrong people. I like James Corden, I just think Craig has been overdone. Beating the Cybermen because he heard his baby crying was a 'jumping the shark'/'nuking the fridge' moment for me.

That moment really was terrible, to me as well. Aside from that scene, I just find his character unbearably annoying all the time. When watching his episodes, I can't help but cringe every time he talks (whines).
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion.   Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion. EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 10:14 pm

I never heard, "Nuking the fridge" before. scratch
Back to top Go down
Bob1963
Bob1963

Number of posts : 1276
Registration date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion.   Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion. EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 10:23 pm

Me either Smile

Still I have had enough of Craig for an eternity
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion.   Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion. EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 10:47 pm

For those who haven't heard "nuking the fridge" it became a meme after Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystall Skulls (when he hid in a fridge to keep from being nuked). that scene made a lot of people laugh, and thus became the modern day "jump the shark".
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion.   Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion. EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 11:38 pm

bret_owen99 wrote:
For those who haven't heard "nuking the fridge" it became a meme after Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystall Skulls (when he hid in a fridge to keep from being nuked). that scene made a lot of people laugh, and thus became the modern day "jump the shark".

Well, it was lead lined, I think. Anyhow, Skulls was one of my fav of those films.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion.   Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion. EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 12:40 pm

I have always wanted to see a different multi-Doctor episode that has the current Doctor meet the younger first Doctor. Find a great actor who looks like a young Hartnel. Set it before he left Gallifrey, and perhaps his interaction with Omega and Rassilon. Maybe even have Carol Ann Ford play Susan's mother.
Back to top Go down
CGren123
CGren123

Number of posts : 2368
Registration date : 2009-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion.   Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion. EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 2:01 pm

It sounds like what they did with the "Zagreus" audio adventure. They had former Doctor and Companion actors playing different roles alongside Paul McGann
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion.   Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion. EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 2:39 pm

Ronpur wrote:
I have always wanted to see a different multi-Doctor episode that has the current Doctor meet the younger first Doctor. Find a great actor who looks like a young Hartnel. Set it before he left Gallifrey, and perhaps his interaction with Omega and Rassilon. Maybe even have Carol Ann Ford play Susan's mother.

Naw, keep some more mystery to him.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion.   Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion. EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 8:30 pm

OK, new idea while watching The Deadly Assasin.

Lets say that at the moment of destruction of Gallifrey in the Timewar, the entire Matrix is downloaded into the mind of the 8th Doctor or maybe the TARDIS. And he will forget this fact in the future. In order to restore the "real" Timelords from before the war, the 8th Doctor must find his future self and find a way to download the Matrix into a computer that can handle such a large amount of data. And the only computer available is The Library. So, they must return to that world, and enter the computer world were River's mind remains, and there, restore the Timelord's minds in the computer generated world. I am sure there could be some grand battles with Dalek fleets as they try to stop them, but I would love to see a Two Doctors adventure with 8 and 11!
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion.   Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion. EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 9:27 pm

Since I'm almost dead certain that 9 will pull a 4, I'm sure they will try to get as many as possible (8, 7, 5, 6 maybe, 10)
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion.   Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion. EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 10:45 pm

I would like a beginnings story- like a 30 something doc steal the tardis- without giving too much of his mystery away. Center the story around the reason why he was so desperate to leave gallifrey.
Back to top Go down

Idea for the 50th Anniversary, open for discussion.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next