16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99   everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 7:52 am

OH, well. I am watching City of Death now, so I won't get into this debate much. But just remember, Doctor Who fans all are different, we all have our own tastes. As for watching a show you don't like, I watched Star Trek Voyager for 7 years, hoping it would get better in my eyes, but I hated it and have never watched it again, despite having characters I liked. And yet, that series is the favorite of a few of my friends.

So, to each his own.

And I like Romana's school girl outfit!!
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99   everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 8:02 am

Ronpur wrote:
I watched Star Trek Voyager for 7 years, hoping it would get better in my eyes, but I hated it and have never watched it again, despite having characters I liked. And yet, that series is the favorite of a few of my friends.

I had high hopes for Voyager because of the premise of them being lost in unfamiliar territory with no support, no supplies... I stopped after the first few eps of season 2. That was enough for me.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99   everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 12:40 pm

http://timelordapprentice.blogspot.com/2011/08/lets-kill-hitler.html

This is a well written, professional looking article, that is in line with my thoughts. It's not as harsh as I am (no personall attacks on actresses, Rust), but it does outline a few of the same thoughts i had.

And i do remember putting a disclaimer at the start of this thread (namely for those who thought i would just be "hating" for no reason). Anyone could have stopped reading right there and then.

I also notice an age difference, not just in this forum, but in general "WHO" universe now. People who can see Moffat's secrets coming a mile away, and those who are "Blown Away" by his revelations, proclaiming him a genius (because they never figured it out).
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99   everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 1:28 pm

Someone get Ken Dodd in here, we need a lil 'happiness,' don't we? sunny
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99   everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 1:30 pm

Scary wrote:

Not helping Mr Scary....step away & let them fight it out amongst themsrlves!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99   everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 1:33 pm

workstinx wrote:
Scary wrote:

Not helping Mr Scary....step away & let them fight it out amongst themsrlves!! Smile

I never said I was trying to help... I'm merely finding the situation 'fun'. Wink
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99   everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 1:39 pm

Scary wrote:
workstinx wrote:
Scary wrote:

I never said I was trying to help... I'm merely finding the situation 'fun'. Wink

There seems to be an element of mocking someone elses opinion. Let the folks have their say. The post author doesn't like the episode & you obviously do. Leave it there will ya???? Smile
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99   everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 1:45 pm

workstinx wrote:
Scary wrote:
workstinx wrote:
Scary wrote:

There seems to be an element of mocking someone elses opinion. Let the folks have their say. The post author doesn't like the episode & you obviously do. Leave it there will ya???? Smile

I'm not mocking Bret. He's a good friend. I'm just trying to defuse the tension... So sorryyyyyyy for trying to be a lil light hearted. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99   everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 1:55 pm

Scary wrote:
workstinx wrote:
Scary wrote:
workstinx wrote:
Scary wrote:

I'm not mocking Bret. He's a good friend. I'm just trying to defuse the tension... So sorryyyyyyy for trying to be a lil light hearted. Rolling Eyes

Apology accepted! Smile

He did ask for people not to read the post if they didn't want to know his opinion.

Later on in the reply thread to asked if you were the only one who really couldn't take the thread seriously & you went on to call the following comments "rants"

Sometimes defusing tensions can be misconstrued as stopping people from voicing their opinions.

I am all for light heartedness but sometimes we need to walk away.
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99   everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 2:00 pm

I'm at a loss for words in this thread now so....

everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99 - Page 2 Tumblr_lqgrqa8CID1qe7orj
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99   everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 2:03 pm

rdks wrote:

everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99 - Page 2 Tumblr_lqgrqa8CID1qe7orj

Fez wearing so n so

*grumbles off into the night*

Smile
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99   everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 2:09 pm

workstinx wrote:
Scary wrote:
workstinx wrote:
Scary wrote:
workstinx wrote:
Scary wrote:

Apology accepted! Smile

He did ask for people not to read the post if they didn't want to know his opinion.

Later on in the reply thread to asked if you were the only one who really couldn't take the thread seriously & you went on to call the following comments "rants"

Sometimes defusing tensions can be misconstrued as stopping people from voicing their opinions.

I am all for light heartedness but sometimes we need to walk away.

Right.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99   everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 3:12 pm

I've got no problem with Bret or his opinion, or anyone else who didn't care for this episode for that matter. It's all good, plenty of Who for everybody, for all tastes. After all, I find Davison a bore and Tennant over-hyped.

No rule says we have to universally love everything. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cakejedi

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99   everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 5:34 pm

I don't post a lot but I usually agree with Brett-Owen's critques. Moffat's writing drives me crazy!!!!!!! His writing drives me so crazy that I often think about stopping watching Who. The reason I keep tuning in is that I have been a fan since the 80's and Who is too big of a part of my life to just stop watching.

The one thing that bothered me the most about this episode is the portrayal of Amy and Rory as parents. If my baby was snatched away from me minutes after being born, I would stop at NOTHING to get her back. I would be on the TARDIS with the Doctor looking for her. My life would not be complete until I got my baby back. Rory and Amy act too 'unconcerned' for me. They should show bitterness, anger, frustration, or something towards the Doctor for his part in the kidnapping of their baby. They are too unaffected by the whole thing. They are like "our baby is missing, mostly because of the Doctor, but hey, that's ok, because he is so cool and it will all be ok even though at this very moment our baby is being turned into a psychopath." And as a parent, I can tell you that no sane person is going to accept Adult River as their child. Rory and Amy's child is the infant being tortured by the eye patch lady. Any parent would go through heck itself to get the baby back. If I was Rory, if anyone deserved to be punched, it was the Doctor for not showing up with the baby.

And speaking of the Doctor showing up without the baby, he has a time machine. That means he could have spent 2 million years looking for the baby and when he found her, hopped in the TARDIS, and showed up at the corn circle.

I didn't mean to go on like this, but as a parent, the way Rory and Amy were written in this epsiode is offensive to me.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99   everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 6:51 pm

You know Jedi,you have a very valid point that I have never thought of before. The Doctor should be raising his army again to find this baby, because Amy and Rory should be screaming at him to find her. The one time that Amy showed that kind of concern was when she pointed the gun at River in Good Man. Nothing should stop them from finding her. (Unless they are related to Casey Anthony!)
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99   everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 6:53 pm

rdks wrote:

LOOOVE this...

Laughing
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99   everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 7:18 pm

Just for the record, i appreciate everyone who is trying to "lighten" up the mood. no offense taken from Scary, or Workstinx, or even the dancing Moffat (that is pretty funny).

I even appreciate Rust, who always makes valid counter-points. I've had a few people even personally message me, saying that i put in words how they felt about this episode (wish they would post here???). However, i'm open to lightening up the mood, counter-points, difference's of opinion, etc.

The only time i will get disturbed, is when i'm told i'm just "hating for no good reason" (The reasons are good to me), or that "I should keep my opinion to myself". If you don't like me or my post, that's fine. I don't like every post that I read, however, i have the manners not to post something nasty, or tell the poster not to ever write something like that ever again. I am a firm believer of freedom of speech/opinion/etc.

Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2485
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99   everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 7:35 pm

Keep on posting your reviews, bret_owen99. I may not agree with every single point you make, but I won't know that until I've read your review. You've even got a few good points that I hadn't even thought of on occasion. We've all been keeping it light and discussing the series is what this forum is for.

Well really this forum is here to help WhoNA sell us more Who stuff. Laughing

And I'll be terrozied by that dancing Moffat as I go to sleep tonight. Darn you, rdks, I'll need to go watch Blink to get something even scarier in my head.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99   everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 7:37 pm

Cakejedi actually makes a very valid point, though I suppose I can counter-argue that the Baby came as something of a surprise to both Amy and Rory, since the first indication they had of the poor girl was when Amy started having contractions.

That being said, yeah...both Amy and Rory are very blase' about the whole "Missing Child" angle, and Amy approaches the Doctor not so much as the frantic parent and more like a child begging a visiting uncle for candy.
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1660
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99   everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 9:43 am

I think fans of a certain generation tend to forget just how many crap episodes of Doctor Who were churned out during the classic era.

In the most technical sense, Who has never been consistently "good" science fiction...it's been borderline space fantasy, space opera, and occasionally, science fiction. What has made the show a delight over the years has been the wonderful performances of the various Doctors and the handful of genuinely great moments in an otherwise hit-and-miss series. I love Who, don't get me wrong, but I have no illusions about it, Nu-Who or Classic. It's all the same, really: its quirks, charm, and moments of brilliance make the whole thing enjoyable. The rest is all a matter of taste...and, in many cases, generational attachment to certain iterations of the show. (That's not a criticism, by the way...there's nothing wrong with having specific tastes and liking what you like. It's just an observation.)

And as for the Moff's fast-and-loose playing about with continuity, come on...this show's continuity has been shaky at best and outright ridiculous at worst for DECADES...it's come together in bits and pieces, by dozens of writers, and many of those pieces don't fit together at all. The Moff is hardly the first to be a little rough with the toys he's been given.

Bottom line? It's meant to be a lark...an entertaining diversion. It's a TV show that has been periodically reinvented for new generations of viewers, and older viewers can either smile and play along with each reinvention, taking the good with the bad and without romanticizing what came before, or they can gnash their teeth and bemoan the changing nature of the show.

If there is one character in sci-fi who is virtually synonymous with the concept of embracing reinvention, it's our Doctor. Once again, he shows us the way. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.cmichaelhall.com
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99   everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 4:48 pm

Agreed.

For every Genesis of the Daleks there was two Horns of Nimon.

I just watched Nash's review of that one. That one actor was just devouring the scenery...
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99   everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 5:05 pm

Oi! Horns of Nimon was awesome!

And "that one actor" would have been the 4th Doctor had Tom Baker turned it down...

Smile
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99   everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 5:11 pm

rdks wrote:
Oi! Horns of Nimon was awesome!

And "that one actor" would have been the 4th Doctor had Tom Baker turned it down...

Smile

Scary, aint it? Laughing

For those Interested, here's the review.

He's done a lot of others too, all a hoot to watch as he really is a fan. Maybe I should have said Time Flight instead? Razz
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99   everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 6:22 pm

I liked Nimons also. But then again, I like stories that are sometimes just a fun romp and of course Romana is so HOT in that one Laughing
Back to top Go down
Shatterbang
Shatterbang

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99   everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 11:51 pm

I'm glad somebody else recognizes Terminator 2 for the crap it is. "I know now why you cry?" GUH....

I haven't enjoyed most of Moffat's run on this series. I liked probably four episodes last series, and only two so far this one.

But weirdly, this was one of 'em. I know I shouldn't have liked it, and I agree with Brett's points for the most part, but I just....liked it. Liked the tiny people in the shapechanging robot, liked River's regeneration (even liked River for the first time since the Library).
Back to top Go down
http://emerdelac.wordpress.com

everything that is wrong with "let's kill hitler" bretowen99
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: