12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

SPACE and TIME - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPACE and TIME   SPACE and TIME - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 9:43 pm

neogeoMk2 wrote:
Scarywood wrote:
neogeoMk2 wrote:
I thought it was funny. Sure some of the dialogue would probably get it a TV-14 rating over here, but what was the target audience for Comic Relief in the UK? I'm trying to remember what it was when there was Comic Relief aired here in the Us with Robin, Whoopi & Billy and I think that was mid-teens & up. The banter was funny, it did feel like they were friends there (like Rust & jonwes said). I don't think I'd have a problem letting my niece (Scary's age) watch it.

Its a family show until about 22:00. From then until about 02:00 its for the adults. And Space & Time were both aired before the adult side of the show began.

I mean, yes, I guess it wouldn't be so bad for people my age but it was aired when the little kids were watching it, too. And to be honest, I know 6 year olds that watch Doctor Who... I'd be appauled to know that they were watching a show with such content, even if it was minor, it still gives the absolute wrong message to kids.

Boo on you, Moffat. Way to go to ruin a family TV show. :/

Well, in that case I do see your point. I'm reasonably sure the content in question went over the heads of the younger viewers though. It probably would have been better for them to do 2 stand-alone shorts, 1 for the kiddos, 1 for the gumps. I suppose from a purely Puritanical or Victorian standpoint, at least Amy & Rory are married, yes?

Hmm, true.

On that note, I wonder if this means Amy is now to be known as Amy Williams?
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
neogeo
neogeo

Number of posts : 2159
Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Re: SPACE and TIME   SPACE and TIME - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 9:50 pm

Scarywood wrote:
neogeoMk2 wrote:
Scarywood wrote:
neogeoMk2 wrote:
I thought it was funny. Sure some of the dialogue would probably get it a TV-14 rating over here, but what was the target audience for Comic Relief in the UK? I'm trying to remember what it was when there was Comic Relief aired here in the Us with Robin, Whoopi & Billy and I think that was mid-teens & up. The banter was funny, it did feel like they were friends there (like Rust & jonwes said). I don't think I'd have a problem letting my niece (Scary's age) watch it.

Its a family show until about 22:00. From then until about 02:00 its for the adults. And Space & Time were both aired before the adult side of the show began.

I mean, yes, I guess it wouldn't be so bad for people my age but it was aired when the little kids were watching it, too. And to be honest, I know 6 year olds that watch Doctor Who... I'd be appauled to know that they were watching a show with such content, even if it was minor, it still gives the absolute wrong message to kids.

Boo on you, Moffat. Way to go to ruin a family TV show. :/

Naw, its Rory Pond, remember?

Well, in that case I do see your point. I'm reasonably sure the content in question went over the heads of the younger viewers though. It probably would have been better for them to do 2 stand-alone shorts, 1 for the kiddos, 1 for the gumps. I suppose from a purely Puritanical or Victorian standpoint, at least Amy & Rory are married, yes?

Hmm, true.

On that note, I wonder if this means Amy is now to be known as Amy Williams?

Naw, its Rory Pond, remember? Razz Wink
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: SPACE and TIME   SPACE and TIME - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 12:22 am

I hope she'll go by Amy Williams, but the Doctor will always call both of them "The Ponds."
Back to top Go down
neogeo
neogeo

PostSubject: Re: SPACE and TIME   SPACE and TIME - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 12:57 am

jaredofmo wrote:
I hope she'll go by Amy Williams, but the Doctor will always call both of them "The Ponds."

I hope he goes by Rory Williams and she goes by Amy Pond. I just don't get why a woman in the 21st C has to take her husband's surname? That tradition has too many connections to when a man bought his bride (aka bride price). I think there's another term commonly used when one person buys another ... Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: SPACE and TIME   SPACE and TIME - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 10:49 am

I don't think Amy would ever go by Amy Williams. It's just not her. I think it's pretty funny he always calls them the Ponds, even if Rory still says his last name is Williams.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: SPACE and TIME   SPACE and TIME - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 2:53 pm

It's so the Doctor can keep saying "Come Along, Ponds!"
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: SPACE and TIME   SPACE and TIME - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 9:43 pm

Well, all i can say about the adult humor is "Pond, put some trousers on" !!!
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: SPACE and TIME   SPACE and TIME - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 10:27 pm

Ronpur wrote:
Well, all i can say about the adult humor is "Pond, put some trousers on" !!!

Combined with your avatar, I totally read that in the Brigadier's voice.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: SPACE and TIME   SPACE and TIME - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 10:56 pm

neogeoMk2 wrote:
jaredofmo wrote:

I hope he goes by Rory Williams and she goes by Amy Pond. I just don't get why a woman in the 21st C has to take her husband's surname? That tradition has too many connections to when a man bought his bride (aka bride price). I think there's another term commonly used when one person buys another ... Evil or Very Mad

Well, we'd all be in trouble if we continued to associate modern times with the past. After all, Americans are still traitors then since our founding fathers committed treason by seperating from England...

...and in the same notion, we should be associated with slavery then, no?
~
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2207
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: SPACE and TIME   SPACE and TIME - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 11:42 pm

Amy is such a selfish narcissist. She can chat up herself but her husband can't think about having two of her? Not that that's a bad thing, as it makes her character distinctive and consistent (unlike how Martha turned out).
Doctor Who is a family show. That means that it should appeal to all age groups in a family, not just the younglings. Innuendo is approved!
I liked the time and space pardoxes they were dealing with even if the ending was rushed. Of course, nobody really understands how time travel works anyhow so it's not like a whiffle lever couldn't fix everything. Any pseudoscientific explanation would be equally ridiculous, especially if it's undermined by actual science. Just imagine that the whiffle lever is another name for the tachyonfluxneutrondarkmatterquarkstringtheorylargehadronparadox recalibrator.
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: SPACE and TIME   SPACE and TIME - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 9:21 am

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
Just imagine that the whiffle lever is another name for the tachyonfluxneutrondarkmatterquarkstringtheorylargehadronparadox recalibrator.

Exactly! I though that was obvious!!
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: SPACE and TIME   SPACE and TIME - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 9:47 am

Compared to the omnisexual comments surrounding the introduction of Capt Jack Harkness, this seems very tame to me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: SPACE and TIME   SPACE and TIME - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 10:27 am

Good point, Calixar! Compared to Jack, that was nothing!

Anyone like how obviously more confident Rory is now? I hope that's his characterization in Series 6+. He's married to Amy, the Doctor has assured him he's no threat to their relationship, and he also seems to have a 2000+ year memory.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: SPACE and TIME   SPACE and TIME - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 3:38 pm

jaredofmo wrote:
Good point, Calixar! Compared to Jack, that was nothing!

Anyone like how obviously more confident Rory is now? I hope that's his characterization in Series 6+. He's married to Amy, the Doctor has assured him he's no threat to their relationship, and he also seems to have a 2000+ year memory.

Yay I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed how confident Rory was! I like that! I might actually look forward to this series...

~
Back to top Go down
neogeo
neogeo

PostSubject: Re: SPACE and TIME   SPACE and TIME - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 3:47 pm

LtViperPilot wrote:
neogeoMk2 wrote:
jaredofmo wrote:

Well, we'd all be in trouble if we continued to associate modern times with the past. After all, Americans are still traitors then since our founding fathers committed treason by seperating from England...

...and in the same notion, we should be associated with slavery then, no?
~

Yarp. No arguments here.
Back to top Go down
neogeo
neogeo

PostSubject: Re: SPACE and TIME   SPACE and TIME - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 3:49 pm

Calixar wrote:
Compared to the omnisexual comments surrounding the introduction of Capt Jack Harkness, this seems very tame to me.

Excellent point! I hadn't thought of that. Of course its also not the 1st time Who (or any program that has evolved from a kids show to a broader audience) has used innuendo or suggestion that likely goes over the heads of the younger audience members but which elicits a giggle from the older crowd, no?
Back to top Go down

SPACE and TIME
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2