Ronpur
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

Happy Birthday Doctor! Empty
PostSubject: Happy Birthday Doctor!   Happy Birthday Doctor! EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 8:23 am

47 years ago, Doctor Who was introduced to the British viewing public. The world was in mourning after the death of JFK, but a new hero was born. Just a few short weeks later, a black plunger threatened Barbara, and the Daleks were introduced, and there was no looking back from the success to come.

Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday Doctor!   Happy Birthday Doctor! EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 9:49 am

I guess that means I'm watching An Unearthly Child tonight to celebrate! Happy Birthday, Doctor Who!
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday Doctor!   Happy Birthday Doctor! EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 12:40 pm

~Tosses some confetti and glitter~
Back to top Go down
stanlow

Number of posts : 380
Registration date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday Doctor!   Happy Birthday Doctor! EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 1:21 pm

SeaDevil wrote:
I guess that means I'm watching An Unearthly Child tonight to celebrate! Happy Birthday, Doctor Who!

I'm watching the first episode at 1:16 (5:16 "UK" time) and following it with The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang, finally finishing my Series 5 set Smile
Back to top Go down
artanyus
artanyus

Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday Doctor!   Happy Birthday Doctor! EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 1:30 pm

And it has been a thrilling ride for the past 47 years with more good times to come. I would totally watch An Unearthly Child if I have the time but sadly I don't. So to honor the Doctor while at work I will have only one thing to say.

*holds out a bag of Jelly Babies* "Jelly baby?"
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday Doctor!   Happy Birthday Doctor! EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 1:40 pm

Three cheers for the Doctor! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
Invisible Supreme
Invisible Supreme

Number of posts : 2167
Registration date : 2010-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday Doctor!   Happy Birthday Doctor! EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 1:43 pm

Hooray for doctor who!
Back to top Go down
happydalek
happydalek

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday Doctor!   Happy Birthday Doctor! EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 7:19 pm

I think I've posted this before, on a previous Nov. 23, but it's worth sharing again! Ever since I got "An Unearthly Child" taped off PBS in 1987, I've watched it every November 23 since then. Sometimes I have a wide-open schedule, sometimes I'm really swamped and I have to wake up a half-hour early just to squeeze it in, but I've always managed to watch "An Unearthly Child" on Nov. 23 for the past 22 years now. And tonight will be no different! Even though we now have a pristine-looking "An Unearthly Child" that's been cleaned up and remastered on DVD, I've hung on to that VHS tape for sentimental reasons, and it's that tape that I watch every year.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday Doctor!   Happy Birthday Doctor! EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 7:23 pm

I also watch Three and Five Doctors as well, for my celebration.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday Doctor!   Happy Birthday Doctor! EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 8:13 pm

I'm celebrating by listening to various score pieces from "Doctor Who".
~
Back to top Go down
Purdue Prydonian
Purdue Prydonian

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday Doctor!   Happy Birthday Doctor! EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 8:40 pm

Happy Who Day everyone!!!!
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday Doctor!   Happy Birthday Doctor! EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 8:43 pm

Well heck, if this isn't the appropriate time to finally sit down and watch An Unearthly Child, I dunno what is.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday Doctor!   Happy Birthday Doctor! EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 9:00 pm

47 years ago, school teachers Ian Chesterton and Barbara Wright, as well as one of their students, a sixteen year old girl named Susan Foreman, disappeared mysteriously. A car belonging to Mr. Chesterton was found near near I.M. Foreman's Junkyard at 76 Totters Lane in Shoreditch, London.

Their absence was noted at Coal Hill School the following school day. An investigation was begun, but no trace could be found of the missing teachers nor their pupil. In fact, while researching Susan Foreman, no records of the girl could be found. The homes and property of Mr. Chesterton and Miss Wright were turned over to their respective families.

Surprisingly, in June, 1965, Mr. Chesterton and Miss Wright arrived at Coal Hill School. When asked about their absence and the disappearance of the young Susan Foreman, they only shook their heads and said that the girl was safe and happy, but their stories could not be believed. Finally, they claimed to have visited Africa during their two year leave, though no evidence of such a visit exists. Further investigations into the fate of Susan Foreman revealed nothing.

Ian and Barbara have since married, and have raised a son named John. They serve as professors at Cambridge University, mysteriously seeming as young as they were back in 1963.

Whatever happened to Susan Foreman on November 23, 1963 remains a mystery.

Last edited by jaredofmo on Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday Doctor!   Happy Birthday Doctor! EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 9:36 pm

jaredofmo wrote:
47 years ago, school teachers Ian Chesterton and Barbara Wright, as well as one of their students, a sixteen year old girl named Susan Foreman, disappeared mysteriously. A car belonging to Mr. Chesterton was found near near I.M. Foreman's Junkyard at 76 Totters Lane in Shoreditch, London.

Their absence was noted at Coal Hill School the following school day. An investigation was begun, but no trace could be found of the missing teachers nor their pupil. In fact, while researching Susan Foreman, no records of the girl could be found. The homes and property of Mr. Chesterton and Miss Wright was turned over to their respective families.

Surprisingly, in June, 1965, Mr. Chesterton and Miss Wright arrived at Coal Hill School. When asked about their absence and the disappearance of the young Susan Foreman, they only shook their heads and said that the girl was safe and happy, but their stories could not be believed. Finally, they claimed to have visited Africa during their two year leave, though no evidence of such a visit exists. Further investigations into the fate of Susan Foreman revealed nothing.

Ian and Barbara have since married, and have raised a son named John. They serve as professors at Cambridge University, mysteriously seeming as young as they were back in 1963.

Whatever happened to Susan Foreman on November 23, 1963 remains a mystery.

That about sums up everything! From books to the SJA mention.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday Doctor!   Happy Birthday Doctor! EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 9:50 pm

Thanks! I cheated using the TARDIS Index wiki. I love writing up fake news reports. (I am so sneaky when April 1st rolls around...)

watched the first episode of "An Unearthly Child" and some of the second episode. I don't care for the Caveman story at all. Now watching "Rose." That makes both of the "First" episodes of Doctor Who.

Also finally removed my UC 1st Doctor's head and cape. And replaced it. Looks better with it. And got a Face of Boe in the mail.
Back to top Go down
happydalek
happydalek

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday Doctor!   Happy Birthday Doctor! EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 11:27 pm

I just finished my Doctor Who party! I made fish and chips... or at least, the most readily available equivalent that could be found at a US grocery store (frozen fish filets and fries)! Before "An Unearthly Child," I watched the "Doctor Who: Origins" documentary on disc 2 of "The Edge of Destruction" -- I highly recommend it; it does a great job of putting An Unearthly Child in historical and production context.

And it actually turned cold here tonight in Southern California, so even the weather was just right! I should go back to grading papers, but it's hard after a great junk food dinner and 1.5 hrs. of watching TV; I feel like my night is over.
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday Doctor!   Happy Birthday Doctor! EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 2:16 am

happydalek wrote:
I just finished my Doctor Who party! I made fish and chips... or at least, the most readily available equivalent that could be found at a US grocery store (frozen fish filets and fries)! Before "An Unearthly Child," I watched the "Doctor Who: Origins" documentary on disc 2 of "The Edge of Destruction" -- I highly recommend it; it does a great job of putting An Unearthly Child in historical and production context.

And it actually turned cold here tonight in Southern California, so even the weather was just right! I should go back to grading papers, but it's hard after a great junk food dinner and 1.5 hrs. of watching TV; I feel like my night is over.

Thanksgiving break's around the corner. alien cat afro monkey pig farao albino cherry study

Also, use steak fries if you are going to attempt to make 'chips'. Wink
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday Doctor!   Happy Birthday Doctor! EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 2:41 am

happydalek wrote:

I'm genuinely curious about this for story writing purposes since sometimes I tend to write about southern California... about how cold is cold down there?

~
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday Doctor!   Happy Birthday Doctor! EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 4:38 am

Cheers Doctor! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
happydalek
happydalek

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday Doctor!   Happy Birthday Doctor! EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 6:12 pm

To Castellan: Of course I did! Only steak fries. Once in a while, seemingly at random, sometimes they get British-style bangers in the meat section. I was hoping for some last night, but of course there weren't any. If I had the time, I would have gone to Cost Plus and gotten a bag of jelly babies. Naturally, if I had gotten the bangers, I would have needed some mashed potatoes to go with them. Could you imagine: fish and chips plus bangers and mash for dinner? I'd be asleep five minutes into "An Unearthly Child"!

To LT ViperPilot: Recently the nights have tended to get down to the low 40s / high 30s. Plus, because we are experiencing really dry air conditions right now, it feels even colder. Very rarely, sometimes during this time of year I'll occasionally see faint frost on people's lawns in the morning, or even more rarely, tiny bits of ice on people's lawns where the dew has frozen -- I always think it's so cool when I see that! I'm sure there must be a proper name for it, but I don't know it.
Back to top Go down
happydalek
happydalek

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday Doctor!   Happy Birthday Doctor! EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 7:36 pm

I just poked around for references to frozen dew, and apparently the proper name for it is... "frozen dew." Well, glad I straightened that one out! Reminds me of when a co-worker once asked me "You know that Andy Williams song that goes (she starts singing the first line) 'The Daaaaaaays of Wine and Roooooooses?' What's the name of that song?" Seriously! She wanted to download it but didn't know the name! "Take a wild guess," I said. If you didn't know the name of that song that starts off "Mooooooon Riiiiiiiver," what would be the first thing you look up?
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday Doctor!   Happy Birthday Doctor! EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 8:07 pm

I watched Unearthly Child with my UC 1st Doc and his tardis next to the TV. Tried to give him the pose Ian and Barbara see when they first see him, key in hand, opening the door.
Back to top Go down

Happy Birthday Doctor!
Page 1 of 1