The 2nd Doctor Roberts
SeaDevil
DoctorOlly
Scary
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Rate S5E14: A Christmas Carol
Brilliant! Superb! Molto Benne!
S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_lcap57%S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 57% [ 17 ]
Average/Okay
S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_lcap40%S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 40% [ 12 ]
Terrible
S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 30

AuthorMessage
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)   S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 10:30 am

That's what I like about Moffat: in order to do something big, he doesn't have to pull out all the stops and have a big alien invasion, or kill off a bunch of people. Take how he did The Big Bang, and how it actually had a very small cast for most of the episode.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)   S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 10:41 am

Amy in a Cop Outfit and Rory in Roman Centurion Garb.

Kinky.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)   S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 3:52 pm

Rust wrote:

Kinky.

I loved how the Doctor genuinely found their costumes confusing at the end. He genuinely had no idea.
Back to top Go down
Redfern
Redfern

Number of posts : 1208
Registration date : 2009-02-13

PostSubject: Re: S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)   S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 4:39 pm

Was it just my imagination, or was Matt Smith really wearing a Tom Baker styled scarf in one of those PoV shot as the cryo door is opened? It happened so quick it was hard to confirm.

Sincerely,

Bill
Back to top Go down
http://www.mzzkiti.com
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)   S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 4:40 pm

Redfern wrote:
Was it just my imagination, or was Matt Smith really wearing a Tom Baker styled scarf in one of those PoV shot as the cryo door is opened? It happened so quick it was hard to confirm.

Sincerely,

Bill

S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 ILikeScarvesScarvesareCool
Back to top Go down
TinDogRory
TinDogRory

Number of posts : 1462
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)   S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 4:46 pm

I admit, I squeed when I saw that!

I also enjoyed the little nods to Star Trek scattered in the episode. The guy on the bridge with an eye-piece (Geordi), Azran is told the ship crashing is "Galaxy-class", the design of the bridge is a take off of the JJ Abrams Enterprise bridge, and as the ship is crashing later in the episode there are lens flares all over the place.
Back to top Go down
http://aykfpod.com
Redfern
Redfern

PostSubject: Re: S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)   S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 4:55 pm

OK, I guess I'm not insane. Well, probably I am, but at least that was one of my lucid moments! Even cooler, I see Kazran appears to be wearing a more authentic design. (And so those who'd argue Davison's Doctor unraveled the scarf, that was the series 18 burgundy version, not the introductory series 12 design. I choose to believe that one "survived" simply getting lost in the Doctor's wardrobe.

Sincerely,

Bill
Back to top Go down
TinDogRory
TinDogRory

PostSubject: Re: S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)   S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 4:57 pm

@RedFern Don't we catch a glimpse of the scarf in the TARDIS Wardrobe during Christmas Invasion? It's just hanging on a hatstand if I recall?
Back to top Go down
Redfern
Redfern

PostSubject: Re: S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)   S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 5:06 pm

Yes, I believe we do. It's just this is the first time a character has been seen wearing it since the end of the Baker years.

Sincerely,

Bill
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)   S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 5:12 pm

Redfern wrote:
Yes, I believe we do. It's just this is the first time a character has been seen wearing it since the end of the Baker years.

Sincerely,

Bill

I believe not...

S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 The_Christmas_Invasion_744

Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)   S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 12:01 am

Am I the only one who really loved Abigail's story?

Apparently, she was dying of this illness, and supposedly, Mr. Sardick having her frozen was a blessing in disguise: she could stay frozen until a cure could be found. But in the end, she gives her life so that the people on the ship can live.

And this blog posted the lyrics of her song...

"When you’re alone, Silence is all you see,
When you’re alone, Silence is all you’ll be.
Give me your heart to come to me.

"When you are here, music is all around.
When you are near, music is all around.
Open your eyes; don’t make a sound.

"Meet in the shadow! Meet in the shadow!
Meet in the light of your bright shadow!"

Wait... Silence?
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)   S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 1:07 am

kcooper76 wrote:
Rust wrote:

Kinky.

I loved how the Doctor genuinely found their costumes confusing at the end. He genuinely had no idea.

It's part of the Eleventh Doctor I absolutely adore. His brain's lighting quick and he sees the big picture fairly clearly, but its the small things that fly right past him. It just reinforces the concept of being Old despite his body. He's not "current" on small things, so it kind of sails right over his head.

Frankly it makes me kinda wish Eleven and Captain Jack would meet up. Mainly because I'm fairly certain if Jack tried to make a pass at Eleven, it'd just go right over his head. Eleven just comes across as the kind of guy who would bring a bucket of popcorn to a Sex Ed class.
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)   S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 9:45 am

jaredofmo wrote:
Am I the only one who really loved Abigail's story?

Apparently, she was dying of this illness, and supposedly, Mr. Sardick having her frozen was a blessing in disguise: she could stay frozen until a cure could be found. But in the end, she gives her life so that the people on the ship can live.

And this blog posted the lyrics of her song...

"When you’re alone, Silence is all you see,
When you’re alone, Silence is all you’ll be.
Give me your heart to come to me.

"When you are here, music is all around.
When you are near, music is all around.
Open your eyes; don’t make a sound.

"Meet in the shadow! Meet in the shadow!
Meet in the light of your bright shadow!"

Wait... Silence?

I was thinking the same thing.

Also, the lyrics kind of relate to the 'Half way out the dark' quote, too.

But yeah, Silence Will Fall. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)   S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 11:25 am

I wouldn't put it past Moffat to throw in some hints. I mean, just look at how interconnected Series 5 was when everything was said and done.
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2207
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)   S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 5:48 pm

The paradox that Scarazn had been so changed by the Doctor's meddling that he couldn't use his isometric machine bothers me a lot.
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2485
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)   S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 6:12 pm

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
The paradox that Scarazn had been so changed by the Doctor's meddling that he couldn't use his isometric machine bothers me a lot.

An excuse to get Abigail to sing, but not a great one. If he'd changed so much that his father wouldn't have given him control, then how was he able to refuse to help the Doctor? Who has been controlling the clouds since his father passed away? You're right that there is an unsatisfying paradox here. Much the same problem I had with the paradox of 11 being able to get himself out of the Pandorica. I think whenever Moffat wants to start playing with time like this you just need to turn off your brain to enjoy it (also like Bill+Ted's Excellent Adventure).
Back to top Go down
TinDogRory
TinDogRory

PostSubject: Re: S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)   S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 6:15 pm

I think the paradox is supposed to be that no matter what the Doctor did to make Kazran a better person the ship was going to crash, which is a bit like "No matter how nice Scrooge got, Tiny Tim was still poor."
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)   S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 12:41 am

I liked the whole montage of christmas adventures...marylin m...the photos-
just a crazy whirlwind of silly time travel mischief. marvelous.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)   S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 12:49 am

"ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" I need BBCAmerica.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)   S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 2:57 pm

Whoosier Whovian wrote:
"ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" I need BBCAmerica.

Yes you do. Is it that your cable provider doesn't carry it? If that's the case, that sucks. Great channel and not just because of Who.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)   S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 4:02 pm

I am poor so cant afford cable. And a lot of the broadcast channels that I like arent carried by the cable provider here, which is kinda weird.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)   S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 4:24 pm

Ooooh. That sucks, too. So sorry...
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)   S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 1:14 pm

Christmas is not in the middle of winter. It's at the beginning.
The solstice is the first day of winter.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2485
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)   S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 1:41 pm

Calixar wrote:
Christmas is not in the middle of winter. It's at the beginning.
The solstice is the first day of winter.

Christmas is at the middle (well, really close) of the solar cycle. Very close to the shortest day of the year. I thought the comment wasn't too far off, but I'd need to rewatch the episode. Did the Doctor really say "middle of winter"? Perhaps winter comes earlier on that planet such that the solstice is at the middle?

Or maybe it's yet another slip on a show that has a history of playing loose with science? geek
Back to top Go down
denali76c
denali76c

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2010-02-18

PostSubject: Re: S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)   S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 4:58 pm

i admit i did shed a few tears when the 2 kazrans hugged. michael gambon was great!
Back to top Go down

S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next